Remove this ad

#2021 [url]

Oct 13 16 8:54 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
Everything about this FO though indicates that they won't long term on arms so that extra year could be where they let him walk and we could easily be seeing Baez and Blanton as our closers.

I think re-signing Kenley or getting Chapman would be necessary for the Dodgers this offseason, especially if the alternative is Kenley going to the Giants.

You would be severely crippling your own bullpen while helping the Giants build theirs up.

Considering Kenley is home grown talent and they've gotten some cost control out of him, I think they will re-up him.

Another thing to consider is guys like Fields, Dayton, Avilan, Baez, Luis Coleman, Liberatore and/or Josh Ravin won't be expensive for next year and J.P. Howell's $6.5 mill comes off the books so the Dodgers will have extra room to spend on the bullpen. 

Remove this ad

#2022 [url]

Oct 13 16 10:36 AM

beefchopper wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
Everything about this FO though indicates that they won't long term on arms so that extra year could be where they let him walk and we could easily be seeing Baez and Blanton as our closers.

Blanton maybe but Baez would be too scary to contemplate any time the tying or winning run was at the plate.
Or Josh Fields.

#2023 [url]

Oct 13 16 2:06 PM

monsooner wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
Everything about this FO though indicates that they won't long term on arms so that extra year could be where they let him walk and we could easily be seeing Baez and Blanton as our closers.

Blanton maybe but Baez would be too scary to contemplate any time the tying or winning run was at the plate.
Or Josh Fields.

Fields has some electric stuff but has never been able to even be more than barely adequate out of the pen.  At the age of 31 he is not likely to develop into top tier closer material.  But, yeah, other than Kenley, who in our pen is?  Ravin looked good in a very small sample this year, but he's a career minor leaguer who will be 29 next year.  Hatcher, um, no.  Yimi, I don't think so.  Gotta' be Kenley.

#2024 [url]

Oct 14 16 7:01 AM

beefchopper wrote:
I wonder how much money the Giants just penciled in to spend on a closer this winter. Both Kenley and Chapman just got a whole lot richer even if they haven't seen any bids yet.

I doubt they go big enough to outbid the Yankees, Cubs, Nationals and Cardinals (Oh was only a temporary fix, IMO) along with us for the big three (Jansen, Chapman and Melancon).   I fully expect them to go after a guy they think they can fix (a la Castilla) like Rosenthal, Houston Street or Drew Storen.   They have bigger issues - an extension for Bumgarner - which will be a massive overpay, I see Scherzer or Opie money there, along with making the decision to move Posey to first base and Belt to left.  Any way you look at it, they have some bad contracts; Cain, Romo, Pence, Span, Belt, etc....   Even with kids like Law, Blach and Williamson, they are getting to be old in the tooth and I don't know if Evans and Sabean are going to move guys who were "loyal" to them in contract years.  

I am predicting they trade for Rosenthal and look for guys who fit in as bullpen pieces.   Would not be shocked to see an ex-Dodger like Howell or a disgraced closer like McGee end up in San Francisco as the under the radar moves that Sabean and Evans love.    I kind of think their big move will either be moving Belt to left or to Houston if they are tempted by Ken Giles.   Of course, they are likely going to have to sweeten the pot with Belt by either adding a player or two or eating some contract.   They are going to open up first for Posey, even though I think that move will be about eighteen months too late.   The damage has been done, Posey's power is no longer a thing and whatever flexibility he had is gone.   I figure they sign Stanford grad, Jason Castro and team him up with Trevor Brown behind the plate and if they deal Belt, I doubt they go big for either Bautista or Trumbo to play left, because I see neither heading to the NL so I am betting on Carlos Gomez or the Giants moving Christian Arroyo to Miami for Marcel Ozuna and moving Span to left, where his lack of arm doesn't hurt as much.  

#2025 [url]

Oct 14 16 7:06 AM

WildHare wrote:
monsooner wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

Blanton maybe but Baez would be too scary to contemplate any time the tying or winning run was at the plate.
Or Josh Fields.

Fields has some electric stuff but has never been able to even be more than barely adequate out of the pen.  At the age of 31 he is not likely to develop into top tier closer material.  But, yeah, other than Kenley, who in our pen is?  Ravin looked good in a very small sample this year, but he's a career minor leaguer who will be 29 next year.  Hatcher, um, no.  Yimi, I don't think so.  Gotta' be Kenley.


Here's two names for you from outside the envelope - Yadier Alvarez, who was hitting triple digits as a starter in A ball after seventy pitches or Yaisel Sierra, who took to relief work in AA and found his command of both his fastball and change.    Another name I am thinking is also Walker Buehler.   His fastball came back a couple ticks higher on the gun and if his slider command gets better as he gets farther from his TJ,  I would not be shocked to see him get some closing chances in Spring Training.   There is also Joshua Sborz, who was the closer at Virginia and even though we have groomed him as a starter, it would not be a shock to see him starting the season as the closer at OKC.  

#2026 [url]

Oct 14 16 7:39 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
WildHare wrote:
monsooner wrote:
Or Josh Fields.

Fields has some electric stuff but has never been able to even be more than barely adequate out of the pen.  At the age of 31 he is not likely to develop into top tier closer material.  But, yeah, other than Kenley, who in our pen is?  Ravin looked good in a very small sample this year, but he's a career minor leaguer who will be 29 next year.  Hatcher, um, no.  Yimi, I don't think so.  Gotta' be Kenley.


Here's two names for you from outside the envelope - Yadier Alvarez, who was hitting triple digits as a starter in A ball after seventy pitches or Yaisel Sierra, who took to relief work in AA and found his command of both his fastball and change.    Another name I am thinking is also Walker Buehler.   His fastball came back a couple ticks higher on the gun and if his slider command gets better as he gets farther from his TJ,  I would not be shocked to see him get some closing chances in Spring Training.   There is also Joshua Sborz, who was the closer at Virginia and even though we have groomed him as a starter, it would not be a shock to see him starting the season as the closer at OKC.  
I hope any of the above pan out but of course there is a lot more than speed needed to be a top closer.  These guys also have to prove they have the consistency and, probably even more importantly and possibly even more difficult to achieve, the mental makeup to excel in that role.  How many relief pitchers have we seen over the years that had the stuff to be highly effective but sucked as closers?  There is simply no way to know at this point.

#2027 [url]

Oct 14 16 1:24 PM

WildHare wrote:
monsooner wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

Blanton maybe but Baez would be too scary to contemplate any time the tying or winning run was at the plate.
Or Josh Fields.

Fields has some electric stuff but has never been able to even be more than barely adequate out of the pen.  At the age of 31 he is not likely to develop into top tier closer material.  But, yeah, other than Kenley, who in our pen is?  Ravin looked good in a very small sample this year, but he's a career minor leaguer who will be 29 next year.  Hatcher, um, no.  Yimi, I don't think so.  Gotta' be Kenley.

Yeah, sorry, shoulda included the smiley.  Field was more of a joke - intended to picture life without Kenley.  

Pay the man.

#2028 [url]

Oct 14 16 1:40 PM

beefchopper wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
WildHare wrote:
Fields has some electric stuff but has never been able to even be more than barely adequate out of the pen.  At the age of 31 he is not likely to develop into top tier closer material.  But, yeah, other than Kenley, who in our pen is?  Ravin looked good in a very small sample this year, but he's a career minor leaguer who will be 29 next year.  Hatcher, um, no.  Yimi, I don't think so.  Gotta' be Kenley.


Here's two names for you from outside the envelope - Yadier Alvarez, who was hitting triple digits as a starter in A ball after seventy pitches or Yaisel Sierra, who took to relief work in AA and found his command of both his fastball and change.    Another name I am thinking is also Walker Buehler.   His fastball came back a couple ticks higher on the gun and if his slider command gets better as he gets farther from his TJ,  I would not be shocked to see him get some closing chances in Spring Training.   There is also Joshua Sborz, who was the closer at Virginia and even though we have groomed him as a starter, it would not be a shock to see him starting the season as the closer at OKC.  
I hope any of the above pan out but of course there is a lot more than speed needed to be a top closer.  These guys also have to prove they have the consistency and, probably even more importantly and possibly even more difficult to achieve, the mental makeup to excel in that role.  How many relief pitchers have we seen over the years that had the stuff to be highly effective but sucked as closers?  There is simply no way to know at this point.

Those names Chris mentioned are all possibly good additions to the bullpen down the road, but none of them are closer material in 2017, imo.  Key words in Chris' comments are "in A ball", "in AA", and "further from TJ".  Kenley Jansen (and, yes, Aroldis Chapman) are elite closers.  I have a personal preference for Kenley because of his being a lifelong Dodger and being of good moral character.  You could see that he and Clayton have a ton of mutual respect and I'd love to see them both remain Dodgers for a long, long time.

#2029 [url]

Oct 14 16 1:48 PM

monsooner wrote:
WildHare wrote:
monsooner wrote:
Or Josh Fields.

Fields has some electric stuff but has never been able to even be more than barely adequate out of the pen.  At the age of 31 he is not likely to develop into top tier closer material.  But, yeah, other than Kenley, who in our pen is?  Ravin looked good in a very small sample this year, but he's a career minor leaguer who will be 29 next year.  Hatcher, um, no.  Yimi, I don't think so.  Gotta' be Kenley.

Yeah, sorry, shoulda included the smiley.  Field was more of a joke - intended to picture life without Kenley.  

Pay the man.

Sorry, Kyle, I tend to get a bit overly demonstrative in my man love for Kenley.  How cool was it in the post game show last night that they mentioned the only save Clayton ever had was in Gulf Coast Rookie League in 2006 against the Nats and his catcher was Kenley.  I'm so old school that I want to keep these guys together as long as possible.

Admittedly, I felt the same way (much smaller scale) about keeping AJ Ellis.  Ruiz has been clutch and Friedman showed some real vision in signing him.  But, Kenley needs to be retained unless somebody offers him stupid money as the D'bags did to Greinke.

#2030 [url]

Oct 14 16 10:07 PM

I'm proud of Roberts and so happy for baseball.  Interesting how something seemingly so obvious (e.g. using your best RP in the most pivotal moment) can be overlooked because of ill-considered conventions.  Glad the Dodgers are one of the teams taking the step forward!

Remove this ad

#2031 [url]

Oct 15 16 7:39 AM

WildHare wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

Here's two names for you from outside the envelope - Yadier Alvarez, who was hitting triple digits as a starter in A ball after seventy pitches or Yaisel Sierra, who took to relief work in AA and found his command of both his fastball and change.    Another name I am thinking is also Walker Buehler.   His fastball came back a couple ticks higher on the gun and if his slider command gets better as he gets farther from his TJ,  I would not be shocked to see him get some closing chances in Spring Training.   There is also Joshua Sborz, who was the closer at Virginia and even though we have groomed him as a starter, it would not be a shock to see him starting the season as the closer at OKC.  
I hope any of the above pan out but of course there is a lot more than speed needed to be a top closer.  These guys also have to prove they have the consistency and, probably even more importantly and possibly even more difficult to achieve, the mental makeup to excel in that role.  How many relief pitchers have we seen over the years that had the stuff to be highly effective but sucked as closers?  There is simply no way to know at this point.

Those names Chris mentioned are all possibly good additions to the bullpen down the road, but none of them are closer material in 2017, imo.  Key words in Chris' comments are "in A ball", "in AA", and "further from TJ".  Kenley Jansen (and, yes, Aroldis Chapman) are elite closers.  I have a personal preference for Kenley because of his being a lifelong Dodger and being of good moral character.  You could see that he and Clayton have a ton of mutual respect and I'd love to see them both remain Dodgers for a long, long time.

True, Jerry, but I also factor in that both Alvarez and Sierra spent more than a year on the sidelines waiting to get the nod that they could sign.   Considering the rust and everything, they both moved quickly.    As for Buehler, he was considered a prime candidate for a fast riser before the physical showed an elbow problem.    The stuff is still there and if the Dodgers feel that Buehler, due to his slight build and high effort windup, is better suited to relief work as opposed to starting, then he could make a quick run to the show.    Now, I don't expect any of these three to make the opening day roster, but if the unthinkable happens and Kenley ends up elsewhere (highly doubtful) and we strike out on Chapman, we have short term options although none are very comforting (Baez, Rhame or Ravin).   I just think that we go above the Kimbrel deal and then some to resign Kenley.   

#2033 [url]

Oct 17 16 7:30 AM

WTF YUKU????? Could you possibly suck any more if you tried?

I now realize that this board is critical therapy to me. I barely was able to survive these two games without some shoulders to cry on and people to hold my hand. The drama of these last two days was amazing. You'd think an incredible, studly performance and win by Kershaw followed by an incredibly studly performance and save by Kenley would have been a pleasurable evening but for me it was mostly torture and nail biting until the last fly ball in the 7th somehow entered Joc's glove instead of sailing over the wall. I literally watched the seventh inning like I was watching a horror movie. Clayton cruising entering the seventh in a playoff game with the game on the line? I think I've seen this before and hate the ending. But somehow someone managed to change the script and rewrote a happy ending. At games end I was elated beyond description and totally drained. Now it is time for Hill to step up and Urias to show the world what this kid has got. It would be nice if Yaz (especially), Seager and Puig would pitch in and add some value before it is over. Keep your seatbelts fastened. Four down and three wins to go to finally reach the Fall Classic

#2034 [url]

Oct 17 16 7:45 AM

Ah, Yuku, the train that just couldn't.

I liked to rip on the MLB for the seemingly one-sided coverage following Game One. One very stupid move - can no one waste an 0-2 pitch on his staff? - removed and we are looking at the Dodgers up 2-0. Like I said, the Cubs cannot hit lefties and if I was running the staff, it would be Hill, Urias and Wood for the next three with Kershaw on real rest for Game Six, if we need it. These past two games should tell the national media that annointing the Cubs as the once and future champion may have been hasty. Their division was weak and for all of Joe Maddon's manipulations, he has never had a team which could hit great pitching. The Tampa teams were all about pitching and Longoria and the Cub team is also fulfilling that premise. I knew Rizzo would tank in the playoffs, no guys who serve up low nineties fastballs on the inner part of the plate to feast on and the same is with Bryant. Bust a fastball in and the guy is off the plate like a little leaguer.

I have to say that Grandal called a marvelous game and his deeking of Bryant in the ninth was pure gamesmanship. Setting up high and away, smacking his glove and then moving to where the pitch would be was gold. Strike one to Bryant was the reason we got Grandal in the first place. That pitch was a ball, but Grandal framed it like a masterpiece. I got a feeling that our offense will come to life at Dodger Stadium as long as we take the same approach AGon did with Chapman, keep the swing short and take it up the middle or the other way.

#2035 [url]

Oct 17 16 7:56 AM

This next game will show us if Hill is really a #2 because right now I would feel a lot better if we had Grienke going. This is where I fear that we are missing that key complementary starter to CK. We can't have Hill go 4 innings and be what he has been recently.

At this point, I think Urias gives me more confidence than Hill and he certainly does compared to Maeda who has just turned into a pile of nothing.

#2036 [url]

Oct 17 16 8:00 AM

beefchopper wrote:
WTF YUKU????? Could you possibly suck any more if you tried?

I now realize that this board is critical therapy to me. I barely was able to survive these two games without some shoulders to cry on and people to hold my hand. The drama of these last two days was amazing. You'd think an incredible, studly performance and win by Kershaw followed by an incredibly studly performance and save by Kenley would have been a pleasurable evening but for me it was mostly torture and nail biting until the last fly ball in the 7th somehow entered Joc's glove instead of sailing over the wall. I literally watched the seventh inning like I was watching a horror movie. Clayton cruising entering the seventh in a playoff game with the game on the line? I think I've seen this before and hate the ending. But somehow someone managed to change the script and rewrote a happy ending. At games end I was elated beyond description and totally drained. Now it is time for Hill to step up and Urias to show the world what this kid has got. It would be nice if Yaz (especially), Seager and Puig would pitch in and add some value before it is over. Keep your seatbelts fastened. Four down and three wins to go to finally reach the Fall Classic




I had to walk outside during the 7th as I just couldn't watch. My cubs fan buddy kept texting me throughout the game and shortly before the 1st hit he started saying "perfect game" over and over. He was very excited to see the result. I let him know I had made arrangements and that a goat would arriving at his home at any moment. 

#2037 [url]

Oct 17 16 8:02 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Ah, Yuku, the train that just couldn't.

I liked to rip on the MLB for the seemingly one-sided coverage following Game One. One very stupid move - can no one waste an 0-2 pitch on his staff? - removed and we are looking at the Dodgers up 2-0. Like I said, the Cubs cannot hit lefties and if I was running the staff, it would be Hill, Urias and Wood for the next three with Kershaw on real rest for Game Six, if we need it. These past two games should tell the national media that annointing the Cubs as the once and future champion may have been hasty. Their division was weak and for all of Joe Maddon's manipulations, he has never had a team which could hit great pitching. The Tampa teams were all about pitching and Longoria and the Cub team is also fulfilling that premise. I knew Rizzo would tank in the playoffs, no guys who serve up low nineties fastballs on the inner part of the plate to feast on and the same is with Bryant. Bust a fastball in and the guy is off the plate like a little leaguer.

I have to say that Grandal called a marvelous game and his deeking of Bryant in the ninth was pure gamesmanship. Setting up high and away, smacking his glove and then moving to where the pitch would be was gold. Strike one to Bryant was the reason we got Grandal in the first place. That pitch was a ball, but Grandal framed it like a masterpiece. I got a feeling that our offense will come to life at Dodger Stadium as long as we take the same approach AGon did with Chapman, keep the swing short and take it up the middle or the other way.



I told my wife right after the HR that there is no way you should ever throw a 0-2 strike especially the same pitch as the last right down the pipe.

#2039 [url]

Oct 17 16 8:51 AM

Ah Yuku, the great bulletin board choke artist.

I agree with others here - THIS is why you pay a Greinke or somebody similar. To win in the post-season. And what is it with the FS1 announcers - seems like they've geared their coverage toward rooting for the Cubs. I even saw a static screen at one point during the game that celebrated the Cubs hitters, with logos and photos and all. Nothing like that for the Dodgers. Who gave these clowns this sweet post-season gig anyway? Dare I say, I'd almost rather have Joe Morgan doing the games. Almost.

#2040 [url]

Oct 17 16 9:36 AM

WildHare wrote:
monsooner wrote:
WildHare wrote:
Fields has some electric stuff but has never been able to even be more than barely adequate out of the pen.  At the age of 31 he is not likely to develop into top tier closer material.  But, yeah, other than Kenley, who in our pen is?  Ravin looked good in a very small sample this year, but he's a career minor leaguer who will be 29 next year.  Hatcher, um, no.  Yimi, I don't think so.  Gotta' be Kenley.

Yeah, sorry, shoulda included the smiley.  Field was more of a joke - intended to picture life without Kenley.  

Pay the man.

Sorry, Kyle, I tend to get a bit overly demonstrative in my man love for Kenley.  How cool was it in the post game show last night that they mentioned the only save Clayton ever had was in Gulf Coast Rookie League in 2006 against the Nats and his catcher was Kenley.  I'm so old school that I want to keep these guys together as long as possible.

Admittedly, I felt the same way (much smaller scale) about keeping AJ Ellis.  Ruiz has been clutch and Friedman showed some real vision in signing him.  But, Kenley needs to be retained unless somebody offers him stupid money as the D'bags did to Greinke.

One of the most fun stats I've ever heard!

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help