Remove this ad

#441 [url]

Dec 9 16 8:17 PM

ItTakesFaith wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
So Friedman says they aren't focused on acquiring an outfielder. What exactly are Friedman and his focused on is my question? A 2B, BP help, JT?

Right about now, probably dinner plans...

Nah, they are probably trying to fill the team's biggest hole by adding another GM.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#442 [url]

Dec 9 16 8:37 PM

beefchopper wrote:
ItTakesFaith wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
So Friedman says they aren't focused on acquiring an outfielder. What exactly are Friedman and his focused on is my question? A 2B, BP help, JT?

Nah, they are probably trying to fill the team's biggest hole by adding another GM.
LOL! But at least the group is world class in a trivia contest...

Quote    Reply   

#443 [url]

Dec 10 16 5:48 AM

beefchopper wrote:
ItTakesFaith wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

Maybe they are hiring Bowden for comic relief.    Although, their activity this winter is a joke.  Gotta think this roster spot is for either Turner or Jansen because if they are acquiring Dozier, it is definitely for DeLeon so just a swap of roster spots.   I get why they DFA'd Culberson - no options, he will keep his guaranteed contract and will be a NRI at Spring Training, but I am trying to get my head around not DFA-ing one of Johnson, Hatcher (contract withstanding, it ain't guaranteed) or Taylor.   Or maybe that move is coming shortly.  

Quote    Reply   

#444 [url]

Dec 10 16 6:51 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
ItTakesFaith wrote:

Maybe they are hiring Bowden for comic relief.    Although, their activity this winter is a joke.  Gotta think this roster spot is for either Turner or Jansen because if they are acquiring Dozier, it is definitely for DeLeon so just a swap of roster spots.   I get why they DFA'd Culberson - no options, he will keep his guaranteed contract and will be a NRI at Spring Training, but I am trying to get my head around not DFA-ing one of Johnson, Hatcher (contract withstanding, it ain't guaranteed) or Taylor.   Or maybe that move is coming shortly.  
The rumblings last night had Kenley going with the Nationals, although earlier it was reported they were out.  It's seeming very reminiscent of the Greinke sweepstakes last off season except the two teams competing against us for Kenley are not in the NL West, but the East, which could take some of the sting away.

As far as the roster crunch, there won't be one at this rate.  smiley: ohwell

Quote    Reply   

#445 [url]

Dec 10 16 8:48 AM

WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

The rumblings last night had Kenley going with the Nationals, although earlier it was reported they were out.  It's seeming very reminiscent of the Greinke sweepstakes last off season except the two teams competing against us for Kenley are not in the NL West, but the East, which could take some of the sting away.

The longer it goes, the better I think our chances are.    If the reported split in the offers is as big as rumored, then I would've expected Kenley to have inked the deal with the Fish last week.   I just think the bid from the Fish is overblown and that the bids are closer than rumored and Kenley is likely weighing other things like chances to win it all, comfort with his teammates, etc.... over things like state income tax and location.   I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, but the longer this goes, the better I feel about Kenley resigning with us.

Quote    Reply   

#446 [url]

Dec 10 16 9:14 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

The longer it goes, the better I think our chances are.    If the reported split in the offers is as big as rumored, then I would've expected Kenley to have inked the deal with the Fish last week.   I just think the bid from the Fish is overblown and that the bids are closer than rumored and Kenley is likely weighing other things like chances to win it all, comfort with his teammates, etc.... over things like state income tax and location.   I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, but the longer this goes, the better I feel about Kenley resigning with us.

I tend to agree with this.  The longer it takes, the better our chances.  I just don't want to get my hopes up.

Far too many people make an incorrect analysis about the weight of the state income taxes in CA vs FL.  The 13.3% vs 0%.  On its face an $85,000,000 would be taxed $11,000,000 by CA vs $0 by FL.  But as an athlete, so long as they keep their offseason domicile in a 0% or low% state they are only taxed on games/days they spend in CA.  Now, as an NL West team, the Dodgers will play a lot of games in CA, but it's not like the FL player is untaxed.  They still play plenty of games in higher taxed NL East states, like NY, ATL, DC and with all the teams in CA......CA.  So the balancing between the contracts isn't $11,000,000.  It's more like likely in the $3,000,000 range over the 5 years (Chump change to us on this board of course!smiley: roll).  What is more likely to be an issue in the offers is the 13th pick the fish would have to give up.  I've read on some other credible sites that teams (Sans Dave Stewart) value that pick at $12,000,000.  Now, the Marlins may forego most of that value but I would think it would be tough to discount all of that.

With all that analysis, Kenley will now be a Nat!

Quote    Reply   

#449 [url]

Dec 10 16 3:40 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
KJ ain't signing here. Don't fall for it! Think Robertson. It will hurt less when it happens.

In the words of our dear new President: WRONG Robertson has no injury history to speak of. Holland it is

Quote    Reply   

#450 [url]

Dec 10 16 4:17 PM

saeldway wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
KJ ain't signing here. Don't fall for it! Think Robertson. It will hurt less when it happens.

In the words of our dear new President: WRONG Robertson has no injury history to speak of. Holland it is

Don't forget, Sergio Romo is still available...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#451 [url]

Dec 10 16 8:19 PM

ItTakesFaith wrote:
saeldway wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

And he did pitch a good game or two in September.

Quote    Reply   

#452 [url]

Dec 11 16 5:32 AM

ItTakesFaith wrote:
saeldway wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

Ha! Ha!  I'd rather have Santiago Casilla.  At least he can break a window with his fastball, even if it's a windshield in the parking lot.  Seriously, Romo's velocity was way down from an already sub-90 level last year.    Last year Casilla reminded me of Brandon League.  His stuff was still good, it just was suddenly being taken out of the park.

Can't believe the closer possibilities we're talking.  Might as well add Papel-crap to the discussion.

Hey, FO!  Pay Kenley.  He's been cheap most of the years and performed well.  Reward him, even if it hurts.

Quote    Reply   

#453 [url]

Dec 11 16 10:18 AM

WildHare wrote:

Hey, FO!  Pay Kenley.  He's been cheap most of the years and performed well.  Reward him, even if it hurts.

That's where I'm at.  Kenley isn't without his flaws, and EvilEuro stated them pretty well, and it's very easy to discuss all the arguments for why you shouldn't give so much money to a closer, but there's no viable replacement.  No, I don't like dropping $80+ million on a closer, it sucks, but I'm going to hate even more watching his replacement (who we'd probably have to trade prospects for) blow saves in the 9th.  Santiago Casilla saved around 80% of his save opportunities, last year.  The extra 10-15% is a big difference and, combined with what Kenley showed he can give in the playoffs... just pay him and be done with it.  Not every move needs to be about value.

Quote    Reply   

#454 [url]

Dec 11 16 11:11 AM

beefchopper wrote:

ItTakesFaith wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:So Friedman says they aren't focused on acquiring an outfielder. What exactly are Friedman and his focused on is my question? A 2B, BP help, JT?

The lack of activity is probably due to the fact that they're currently walking back to LA from DC, as it saves them money and provides better value and flexibility.

Quote    Reply   

#455 [url]

Dec 11 16 11:30 AM

Matthew wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

ItTakesFaith wrote:

The lack of activity is probably due to the fact that they're currently walking back to LA from DC, as it saves them money and provides better value and flexibility.

If it's 'flexibility' you desire, hire a yoga instructor...😐

Quote    Reply   

#456 [url]

Dec 11 16 12:22 PM

It's really sad that this FO has some sort of self-imposed contract limit when other teams don't and they are willing to let a closer like KJ go then go sign some stiff and spin it to their fans that they are committed to winning a WS. I'm not a fan of stupid deals but they commit money to trash like Hatcher who has failed at every opportunity and a guy like KJ who was our warrior last year is going to make one of our competitors a lot better.

All these dead contracts are coming back to haunt us big time.

Quote    Reply   

#457 [url]

Dec 11 16 1:34 PM

Remember, Stan Kasten said it was better to make the playoffs several years in a row than win a World Series one year. To which I would argue: how important is 1988 to Dodger fans versus making the playoffs four years in a row?

Quote    Reply   

#458 [url]

Dec 11 16 2:51 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
It's really sad that this FO has some sort of self-imposed contract limit when other teams don't and they are willing to let a closer like KJ go then go sign some stiff and spin it to their fans that they are committed to winning a WS. I'm not a fan of stupid deals but they commit money to trash like Hatcher who has failed at every opportunity and a guy like KJ who was our warrior last year is going to make one of our competitors a lot better.

I'm thinking this sums up most of our collective frustrations... "Dodgers Hamstrung By Wasteful Spending" (via Bleacher Report) http://teamstre.am/2hmO4GU

Quote    Reply   

#459 [url]

Dec 11 16 4:12 PM

ItTakesFaith wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

I'm thinking this sums up most of our collective frustrations... "Dodgers Hamstrung By Wasteful Spending" (via Bleacher Report) http://teamstre.am/2hmO4GU
Most of it isn't this FO's fault, and is largely overblown, IMO.  To many, their most frustrating signings in terms of lost dollars are McCarthy, Kazmir, and Sierra (not to me, though, I didn't dislike any of those deals at the time.  Hindsight is 20/20).  They hedged on these contracts, too;  only $20.5 MM is committed to McCarthy, Kazmir, and Sierra in 2017.  That's it.  Plus, they were able to shed a majority of Kemp's contract before it became an albatross, while giving us one of the best catchers in the game for the money.  The previous regime's contracts like Crawford, Ethier, Guerrero, Arruebarrena, Kemp, and Agon are the biggest financial weights.  I particularly hated the Ethier deal, at the time. 

Outside of Kersh, our best players in 2016 were remarkably affordable.  There are even new players with unexpected upside in Toles and Thompson to get excited about, and we continue to have one of the best farms in baseball while winning the division four years in a row.  Truly an amazing accomplishment. 

I'm continually surprised that I'm in the minority (maybe because the others have fled the forums), but I love this front office.  Sure, they are going to make some mistakes, but their mistakes are often hedged, and rarely Stewart- or Amaro-ian.  I don't support them on here enough, largely because I tire of the thought of potentially igniting some sort of lasting discord on here.  In spite of it all, I respect all of your opinions!

The team needs to get under the luxury tax threshold, an understandable goal.  If they can sign Turner/Jansen while still achieving that in the next year or two, great!  If they can't, then I can absolutely see the argument to let Kenley walk.

Quote    Reply   

#460 [url]

Dec 11 16 10:27 PM

I think it's time for the FO to make a take it or leave it offer of 4 yr. $60 million dollars to Kenley and give him 24 hours to accept it or sign elsewhere, so we can move on with making the improvements that the team needs, including signing Turner. In the unlikely event that he accepts the offer, I'm fairly certain that we'll be regretting it within a couple of years. He's nearing his expiration date.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help