Remove this ad

#81 [url]

Jun 25 15 11:58 AM

@ramonashelburne: Lakers "undecided " on No 2 pick. Russell/Okafor both in play. Kupchak will make final call and he keeps things very close to vest

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#82 [url]

Jun 25 15 2:35 PM

Matthew wrote:
@ramonashelburne: Lakers "undecided " on No 2 pick. Russell/Okafor both in play. Kupchak will make final call and he keeps things very close to vest

Then, there's this and I hate it.

As I reported in Mock 6.0.1, my sources revealed that the Lakers front office voted Russell over Okafor when polled by Mitch Kupchak. It sounds doubtful that a deal for DeMarcus Cousins will happen tonight, so I expect the Lakers to make the pick for themselves and that will be Russell.
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/06/25/mock-draft-6-0-cousins-on-the-move-knicks-on-the-outside-looking-in/
 

Quote    Reply   

#83 [url]

Jun 25 15 2:40 PM

Now, Chad Ford is also projecting Russell to the Lakers. This stinks because they're once again putting all their eggs into the big men FA's they believe they can snag. It sucks. I will be shocked if Gasol, Aldridge, Love, Jordan, or Lopez, etc. come to LA. Besides only Lopez is a true C and who the hell wants him. 

Quote    Reply   

#84 [url]

Jun 25 15 3:45 PM

bcmaiden wrote:
Now, Chad Ford is also projecting Russell to the Lakers. This stinks because they're once again putting all their eggs into the big men FA's they believe they can snag. It sucks. I will be shocked if Gasol, Aldridge, Love, Jordan, or Lopez, etc. come to LA. Besides only Lopez is a true C and who the hell wants him. 
I guess it's time to head to El Segundo with pitchforks.

Quote    Reply   

#86 [url]

Jun 25 15 3:48 PM

Matthew wrote:
@WojYahooNBA: The Lakers will select D'Angelo Russell with the No. 2 overall pick, league source tells Yahoo Sports.
Done deal.  I'm guessing Okafor didn't impress them too much.

Quote    Reply   

#87 [url]

Jun 25 15 3:56 PM

ocmike24 wrote:

Matthew wrote:@WojYahooNBA: The Lakers will select D'Angelo Russell with the No. 2 overall pick, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Done deal.  I'm guessing Okafor didn't impress them too much.

I heard that his second workout didn't go all that well.  Then again, given all the rumors that fly around at this time of year, who knows?  It's not like Russell is crap; he might have the highest ceiling out of all of them, but unfortunately, he does carry, probably, the highest risk.  

My dream was to draft Okafor and build a strong, kick ass defensive team that can kick the shit out of the wussy D'Antoni/Golden State ball that's sweeping the NBA, these days.  Alas, with Russell getting picked, it kind of tells me the Lakers might be headed in the Golden State type of direction.

Quote    Reply   

#88 [url]

Jun 25 15 5:46 PM

The Quest To 17... Wins: The 2013-2014 Lakers Thread

The talent is ultimately what matters, but this article I saw a couple of days ago on Russell was encouraging:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/d-angelo-russell-makes-his-case-for-the-lakers-to-take-him-no--2-in-the-nba-draft-202142022.html

Also, LaMarcus Aldridge informed Portland he's not coming back. Interesting.

Quote    Reply   

#89 [url]

Jun 25 15 6:53 PM

Matthew wrote:
The talent is ultimately what matters, but this article I saw a couple of days ago on Russell was encouraging:



http://sports.yahoo.com/news/d-angelo-russell-makes-his-case-for-the-lakers-to-take-him-no--2-in-the-nba-draft-202142022.html



Also, LaMarcus Aldridge informed Portland he's not coming back. Interesting.

Yes, but LMA is favored to go to the Spurs and he's a Texas boy. Russell is talented but the big holes at C & SF were bigger than G. LOL Lakers pick Nance Jr., a projected 2nd rounder, with the 27th pick. He's a PF and could have been picked w/34th pick. Lakers already have a stable of PF. 

Quote    Reply   

#90 [url]

Jun 25 15 7:06 PM

I'm not really a fan of what the Lakers have been doing, but I never thought Mitch was all that good at drafting, though for a long time he had the fall back argument that it wasn't his fault it was that Phil hated rookies. Right now it looks like the roster is 4 ball dominant guards, who might all be best at shooting guard, and all want to shoot the ball a lot in Kobe, Clarkson, Russell, and Nick Young. Then they now have 2 slightly undersized power forwards in Randle and Nance. Also the most likely big men to actually be willing to sign with them would probably be Kevin Love and Carlos Boozer again - 2 more undersized power forwards. All of these guys are also bad defensively, so we'd really be taking that small ball/D'antoni no defense game to the extreme.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#92 [url]

Jun 26 15 1:35 AM

bcmaiden wrote:
Yes, but LMA is favored to go to the Spurs and he's a Texas boy. Russell is talented but the big holes at C & SF were bigger than G. LOL Lakers pick Nance Jr., a projected 2nd rounder, with the 27th pick. He's a PF and could have been picked w/34th pick. Lakers already have a stable of PF. 

The problem with Aldridge to the Spurs is that the Spurs can't afford to give him a max contract without either trading a player like Splitter or asking guys like Duncan to take another paycut.  Obviously the Lakers will have a challenge trying to convince Aldridge to come play with a bunch of rookies, along with a decripit Kobe, but I'm not sure Aldridge to the Spurs is necessarily a lock, at this point.

Quote    Reply   

#93 [url]

Jul 2 15 11:25 PM

Two days into FA and it's basically a repeat of the last two years:

Despite having a horrific roster, the Lakers go into FA with the delusion trying to court high-end FAs who they don't have a chance in hell of getting (Anthony last year, Aldridge/Jordan, this year) while all of the other lesser, but more attainable free agents who could actually help their team get scooped up by the rest of the league. All because they're the Lakers; they don't rebuild!

Well, if that's the case, then your pitches to these elite FAs better be top notch. Except they're not. For the third straight year, they totally botch it, including needing to have a second meeting today with LaMarcus Aldridge because, according to reports, they spent more than the first hour of a two hour meeting talking about everything but basketball in the first meeting. Once again, the meetings are filled with stuffed suits from TWC, AEG, more talk about Showtime, and, oh yeah, let's bring in the corpse of Kobe to tell LMA that he can be his Pau Gasol, which I suppose is better than when he told Howard he could be his Tyson Chandler. Baby steps.

The arrogance and incompetence of this front office, from ownership down, is just astonishing. They're, literally, stuck in the 1980s-1990s. They're seriously trying to still sell FAs on coming to the Lakers because, uh, well, they're the Lakers, and because L.A. is sunny and you can make money. That might have worked when Shaq came over… 20 years ago. Times have changed. And if you can only talk to players about that because your roster is bad, then, well, maybe you shouldn't be wasting your time with these meetings to begin with.

I think what's annoyed me during these past few days is that, as the Lakers are trying to make a pitch to Aldridge, there's Jeanie Buss spouting her mouth off again, openly talking about the insecurities and dysfunction of the front office. You know, Jim Buss gets a lot of crap, and most of it is deserved. But I can at least point to some positive things he's been a part of; the past two years have been decent in terms of drafts, and they were one veto away from landing Chris Paul in what would have been a heist. On the other hand, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Jeanie's more of the problem. She does not stop talking, and between her campaigns from the pathetic #Stay campaign to her awful tweets last night, and likely having a lot to do with these presentations… she's showing herself to be absolutely and utterly incompetent.

They don't have a chance in hell to land Durant.  And if this three year deadline for Jim Buss is true, which Jeanie keeps repeating it is, then fear for the kids to eventually get packaged in a shitty deal for some veteran.

Last Edited By: Matthew Jul 2 15 11:28 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#94 [url]

Jul 3 15 12:04 PM

Matthew wrote:
Two days into FA and it's basically a repeat of the last two years:

Despite having a horrific roster, the Lakers go into FA with the delusion trying to court high-end FAs who they don't have a chance in hell of getting (Anthony last year, Aldridge/Jordan, this year) while all of the other lesser, but more attainable free agents who could actually help their team get scooped up by the rest of the league. All because they're the Lakers; they don't rebuild!

Well, if that's the case, then your pitches to these elite FAs better be top notch. Except they're not. For the third straight year, they totally botch it, including needing to have a second meeting today with LaMarcus Aldridge because, according to reports, they spent more than the first hour of a two hour meeting talking about everything but basketball in the first meeting. Once again, the meetings are filled with stuffed suits from TWC, AEG, more talk about Showtime, and, oh yeah, let's bring in the corpse of Kobe to tell LMA that he can be his Pau Gasol, which I suppose is better than when he told Howard he could be his Tyson Chandler. Baby steps.

The arrogance and incompetence of this front office, from ownership down, is just astonishing. They're, literally, stuck in the 1980s-1990s. They're seriously trying to still sell FAs on coming to the Lakers because, uh, well, they're the Lakers, and because L.A. is sunny and you can make money. That might have worked when Shaq came over… 20 years ago. Times have changed. And if you can only talk to players about that because your roster is bad, then, well, maybe you shouldn't be wasting your time with these meetings to begin with.

I think what's annoyed me during these past few days is that, as the Lakers are trying to make a pitch to Aldridge, there's Jeanie Buss spouting her mouth off again, openly talking about the insecurities and dysfunction of the front office. You know, Jim Buss gets a lot of crap, and most of it is deserved. But I can at least point to some positive things he's been a part of; the past two years have been decent in terms of drafts, and they were one veto away from landing Chris Paul in what would have been a heist. On the other hand, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Jeanie's more of the problem. She does not stop talking, and between her campaigns from the pathetic #Stay campaign to her awful tweets last night, and likely having a lot to do with these presentations… she's showing herself to be absolutely and utterly incompetent.

They don't have a chance in hell to land Durant.  And if this three year deadline for Jim Buss is true, which Jeanie keeps repeating it is, then fear for the kids to eventually get packaged in a shitty deal for some veteran.

Agree 100%. It's so sad to watch the Lakers go down the toilet in the hands of Jerry's kids. To say the Lakers are stuck in the past is an understatement. Jim fired valuable scouts and hired his buddy, fired Alex Kepechne, the guru of sports training and injury prevention, and then ignored the analytics trend. The carousel of bad coacing hires continues as well. Byron Scott, really? Byron does fit with the current FO and their antiquated philosophies though. He's part of the Laker family so it's okay he's a terrible coach. The Kobe extension, fueled by Jeannie but agreed to by Mitch and Jim, was a monumental mistake for so many reasons. The injury history and mileage on Kobe's old ass and the state of the new CBA cap restrictions were enough to make a different play. Jeannie has publicly said that she knows nothing about basketball but keeps inserting herself into some of those decisions. On the one hand, the FO has Jeannie constantly making idiotic statements to the media, then they have a silent, invisible Jim, who many perceive as inept, and Mitch who has zero personality. FA's want $$$ and want to win not the allure of tradition, Calif life, Hollywood, playing with the corpse of Kobe Bryant, etc. Hey, I love Kobe but the narrative of 'players don't want to play with Kobe' is real. Add to that the current state of incompetence in the FO, why would they. As you say, I also fear that they get desperate and mortgage the future by trading away some of these kids with great potential to get a stupid vet. That approach is idiotic because it doesn't move the needle. The best way to make the team better is to develop these young players and add talent each year. They had a really good draft to add to Randle and Clarkson. Please don't mess that up. 

Quote    Reply   

#96 [url]

Dec 1 15 3:25 PM

So the Lakers are 2-ugly and Kobe is calling it quits after this season - two seasons too late for my liking. Anyway, it seems that some feel that once Kobe is out of the building (and the Lakers manage to keep a top three pick) that things will be looking up. New coach (Luke Walton sounds like the flavor of the month), a whole bunch of cap space and some decent young players (Russell, Clarkson, Randle and Nance). Let's hope that someone gags Jerry's Kids and lets the basketball people make some decisions. Still don't know what to make of Russell (he can look good one moment and look nineteen in another) but, it isn't like he has to be ROY or anything. Leave that to Towns or Mundiay. At least it looks like we have a backcourt and power forward solved. Now, just to sign a wing in free agency and hope they can nab Ben Simmons, Skal Labassiere or Dragan Bender in the draft.

Quote    Reply   

#98 [url]

Feb 8 16 11:00 AM

WTF! Derek Fisher gets fired and Byron Scott still has a job????? Something ain't right here. All I have to say is that if the Lakers lose out on Luke Walton because of some misplaced loyalty to Byron Scott, I will be thoroughly pissed. Of course, if the end game is to be as shitty as possible and secure either Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram, then by all means let Scott continue to stand on the sidelines and pretend like he has a clue. Just as long as he doesn't ruin Russel, Randle, Nance, Brown or Clarkson in the meantime.

Quote    Reply   

#99 [url]

Feb 9 16 2:52 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
WTF! Derek Fisher gets fired and Byron Scott still has a job????? Something ain't right here. All I have to say is that if the Lakers lose out on Luke Walton because of some misplaced loyalty to Byron Scott, I will be thoroughly pissed. Of course, if the end game is to be as shitty as possible and secure either Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram, then by all means let Scott continue to stand on the sidelines and pretend like he has a clue. Just as long as he doesn't ruin Russel, Randle, Nance, Brown or Clarkson in the meantime.
There is no doubt that Byron Scott is not the right coach for this team (or any other, for that matter). The way he is screwing with the young players is so tiresome. I understand Kobe and all he has done for the team, I get it. But, this team is on the Kobe farewell tour for the season and we should just let Kobe go out jacking up 30 shots a game, lose a bunch more and hopefully, set ourselves up for the #1 or #2 pick. Either Simmons or Ingram would be another young piece.

So, as much as I want Scott gone, let him stay through the remainder of the season. Let him flounder the record as much as possible. Get the #1 or #2 pick (if the lottery ball God is on our side), fire Scott and hire Walton to coach this young team.

Then again, Luke may not want anything to do with this circus. In a perfect world, Jeannie Buss dismisses her brother Jimmy, Phil opts out of his deal with the Knicks (read that he can do this after this season) and steps into Jimmy's spot and he and Mitch K can co-exist in the FO and then hire Luke to coach.

Then, with that type of structure, I would guess that FA's would be way more apt to want to play with the Lakers than they would right now with this assembled management group.

Either way, it's a mess until Jimmy and Byron are no longer part of the organization.

Quote    Reply   

#100 [url]

Feb 9 16 3:04 PM

Here's something I just found on that rumor about Jim out and Phil in. No idea on this report or it's possibility.

http://www.examiner.com/article/lakers-rumors-jim-buss-mitch-kupchak-out-phil-jackson-back-to-los-angeles

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help