Remove this ad

#101 [url]

Feb 9 16 10:26 PM

I'm torn on that. Like most Lakers fans, I'm no Jim Buss fan, but after the past couple of years, I've come to find Jeanne no better and, in some ways, worse. From her embarrassing #stay campaign, to her apparently being the impetus behind the Kobe extension, to her inability to stay out of the press, she hasn't shown that she belongs there any more than Jim. I think a lot of the problem with the Lakers over the past few years is that they're too in love with their past and Jeanne seems particularly bad in that regard. It feels like all her decisions are guided on nostalgia and what she thinks her dad would love. And if she can screw over Jim, in the process.  She's helped craft the image that the Lakers not only suck, but are completely dysfunctional.

The other issue is this: for as dreadful as the Lakers have been in pretty much nearly every area, one area where they have been good over the past couple of years is drafting. A lot of that has been due to the work of Ryan West (Jerry's son), who's apparently being groomed to take over Kupchak's role when he retires. My fear with Jackson taking over is, given his already terrible history with Jerry West, who Phil pretty much kicked out, that he would purge people like him and Kupchak. The other issue is: is he going to create another Fisher situation where if the coach wants to keep his job, they basically have to run the triangle? And for as much as I love Phil the coach, while it's still early, he hasn't exactly wowed in NY either, so far.

I do think he would be a great asset in recruiting FAs, though, in a Pat Riley kind of way, but given him being in the FO would probably signal Jeanne then running the show… that would also be very bad. In my dream world, the Buss kids sell; or at the very least, get the hell out of making basketball related decisions and just be owners.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#102 [url]

Feb 10 16 5:07 AM

Matthew wrote:
I'm torn on that. Like most Lakers fans, I'm no Jim Buss fan, but after the past couple of years, I've come to find Jeanne no better and, in some ways, worse. From her embarrassing #stay campaign, to her apparently being the impetus behind the Kobe extension, to her inability to stay out of the press, she hasn't shown that she belongs there any more than Jim. I think a lot of the problem with the Lakers over the past few years is that they're too in love with their past and Jeanne seems particularly bad in that regard. It feels like all her decisions are guided on nostalgia and what she thinks her dad would love. And if she can screw over Jim, in the process.  She's helped craft the image that the Lakers not only suck, but are completely dysfunctional.

The other issue is this: for as dreadful as the Lakers have been in pretty much nearly every area, one area where they have been good over the past couple of years is drafting. A lot of that has been due to the work of Ryan West (Jerry's son), who's apparently being groomed to take over Kupchak's role when he retires. My fear with Jackson taking over is, given his already terrible history with Jerry West, who Phil pretty much kicked out, that he would purge people like him and Kupchak. The other issue is: is he going to create another Fisher situation where if the coach wants to keep his job, they basically have to run the triangle? And for as much as I love Phil the coach, while it's still early, he hasn't exactly wowed in NY either, so far.

I do think he would be a great asset in recruiting FAs, though, in a Pat Riley kind of way, but given him being in the FO would probably signal Jeanne then running the show… that would also be very bad. In my dream world, the Buss kids sell; or at the very least, get the hell out of making basketball related decisions and just be owners.
Oh, I totally agree with you there regarding the present Buss involvement. It now seems obvious that the hierarchy is weak at the very top (ie. anyone with the Buss surname). I know we'll never get back to the glory days of yesteryear. The early 2000's and then the '08 and '09 seem like so far ago now. Kobe is the last connection to that era.

I used to have Lakers season seats through the Showtime period. We were expected to win and we did. What a fun time that was! Then, these last two championship runs the Lakers had added to the legacy. Jerry Buss was such an integral part in making this organization the great one it is. Add Jerry West to that. You can also add Pat Riley and Mitch K to that. Phil had a huge part in the last run of rings. I also agree in that Ryan West seems to be a really good evaluator of talent and may indeed be part of the FO. I am afraid that the current ownership situation (as constructed) will not bring us that type of success we expect.

I know the Lakers brand is something to be proud of. But as it is currently assembled, can we actually expect top FA's that may be available (thinking Westbrook and Durant) actually see this as a place to sign? I don't hold out much hope. That is where a really enticing name (such as Phil) comes into play. Knowing that Byron Scott is the coach and that the Buss family still makes the main decisions, is probably going to keep this organization floundering like it is.

That's why I advocate getting Phil back here and hiring Luke Walton as coach (or someone of that ilk). Then at least, you have a reason for a possible FA to consider coming to play for the Lakers. 

This era of success is over. I also agree in that Jeanne, Jimmy and the Buss group either need to: 
1. Sell to a strong, new ownership group. 
2. Defer all basketball decisions to a top notch basketball management staff and stay out of basketball decisions altogether. Just sign the checks and be invisible.

I'd love to be wrong and think that there is a chance that things can turn around soon. But, that light at the end of the tunnel is basically a candle flickering with a strong wind blowing through.

Quote    Reply   

#105 [url]

Mar 7 16 7:26 AM

Matthew wrote:
LOL

I watched some of the game, but was more interested in getting through Daredevil on Netflix before the new season starts.   But, the minute the Lakers lose Byron Scott, the future will be bright, indeed.    Russell is as good as advertised and I like what Randle brings to the table.   A smart draft pick (would not mind if the Lakers went 2-17 to finish the season and guarantee - or as close as one can - that number two pick.) and a new coach (Walton would be grand, but I would not be unhappy with David Blatt, either) would be a good start to 2016-17.  Ingram would be a nice fit on the wing and with a strong backcourt, all this team would need is a veteran influence in the middle (Horford sounds good to me and won't be the headache that I think Whiteside will be) to be competitive.   Yeah, I know there are those who think that adding Durant would be the move, but I hope we have learned our lesson and do not spend huge on a guy who is looking at his last contract.    

I get a kick out of reading those Laker faithful who drool over Boogie Cousins.   That is the last thing we need - another primadonna and coach killer.  Plus, he would likely cost us Randle, Clarkson and some future picks.    No, thank you.    Stick to the plan Kupchak and build with youth and strong veteran hands like Lou Williams.   While you are at it, lose Nick Young and keep the luxury tax well in front of you.   

Quote    Reply   

#106 [url]

Apr 15 16 2:03 PM

If the reports are true that Byron Scott has an excellent chance of returning next year, then that's the last straw with me; I'll be done with the Lakers, or at least go on a long hiatus. If Scott continues to coach the Lakers, I hope they get blown out by at least 50 points every game, and his name continues to be part of every worst coaching or franchise record there is. He's not just a piece of shit coach, but a piece of shit person, and his quotes today did nothing to disprove that.

They have to fire him, and they need to do it now. If they fail to fire him, then forget the Jim/Mitch vs. Rachel Phelps... uh, I mean, Jeanie debates: they all need to get shit canned.

Last Edited By: Matthew Apr 15 16 2:12 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#107 [url]

Apr 15 16 3:47 PM

Matthew wrote:
If the reports are true that Byron Scott has an excellent chance of returning next year, then that's the last straw with me; I'll be done with the Lakers, or at least go on a long hiatus. If Scott continues to coach the Lakers, I hope they get blown out by at least 50 points every game, and his name continues to be part of every worst coaching or franchise record there is. He's not just a piece of shit coach, but a piece of shit person, and his quotes today did nothing to disprove that.

They have to fire him, and they need to do it now. If they fail to fire him, then forget the Jim/Mitch vs. Rachel Phelps... uh, I mean, Jeanie debates: they all need to get shit canned.

You know how I feel about Byron Scott. The team is not watchable under him. All year Mitch has said that Byron was an innocent byster to the Kobe farewell tour and that this coaching staff, who all stink, deserve another year without Kobe. His exit interview today reiterated that feeling and he praised the hell out of him for the job he did under the circumstances. It's beyond my comprehension that Mitch & Co. who are supposed to be basketball experts can honestly rationalize or approve of the product on the floor. 90% of the games looked like schoolyard ball void of offensive or defensive sets. How could they watch his choice of lineups/matchups/rotations/player usage as anything but incompetent and not see a problem with or without Kobe? Here's how. Mitch & Co. are on the same page as Byron and are just as clueless. It won't matter how many lottery picks they have or role playing vets they sign if Byron is the coach. This FO is a mess. There will be at least 5 or 6 head coaching jobs available and either the Lakers keep one of the worst coaches ever or dawdle in dumping him so that all the good hires will be gone. This is their MO when signing FA's too. They spend all their time trying to catch the big fish that ain't coming and lose out on really good 2nd tier players.  Unless by some miracle Durant becomes a Laker, I will also check out. 

Quote    Reply   

#108 [url]

Apr 16 16 7:53 AM

bcmaiden wrote:
Matthew wrote:

You know how I feel about Byron Scott. The team is not watchable under him. All year Mitch has said that Byron was an innocent byster to the Kobe farewell tour and that this coaching staff, who all stink, deserve another year without Kobe. His exit interview today reiterated that feeling and he praised the hell out of him for the job he did under the circumstances. It's beyond my comprehension that Mitch & Co. who are supposed to be basketball experts can honestly rationalize or approve of the product on the floor. 90% of the games looked like schoolyard ball void of offensive or defensive sets. How could they watch his choice of lineups/matchups/rotations/player usage as anything but incompetent and not see a problem with or without Kobe? Here's how. Mitch & Co. are on the same page as Byron and are just as clueless. It won't matter how many lottery picks they have or role playing vets they sign if Byron is the coach. This FO is a mess. There will be at least 5 or 6 head coaching jobs available and either the Lakers keep one of the worst coaches ever or dawdle in dumping him so that all the good hires will be gone. This is their MO when signing FA's too. They spend all their time trying to catch the big fish that ain't coming and lose out on really good 2nd tier players.  Unless by some miracle Durant becomes a Laker, I will also check out. 

If they are stupid enough to keep Scott, then I will watch as much as I did the past season.    Let's face it, this team is unwatchable.   Scott is unimaginative, his coaches are nothing more than yesmen and they need to lose Young, Sacre and Kelly in short order.   Black needs to spend a full season in the D-League to learn at least one offensive move and they need to make a decision on if Clarkson or Russell runs this team.    I am going with Russell because he has that it factor that could translate into being a perennial all star.   Clarkson is a serviceable point guard and has some value - move him for a couple ones (this year and next).    Have zero interest in Durant (can't stay on the court) or Whiteside (five cent brain comes into play here).   Would prefer getting pieces who fit in with Randle, Russell and Ingram (who they had better draft).    A decent wing (would love to see DeRozan come home, but he loves Toronto) and a rim protector for the middle - Joakim Noah is a free agent and it is safe to say he doesn't need the ball to be happy.   But, first lose Scott and see if Tom Thibodeaux or David Blatt wants to teach some kids how to play.  

Quote    Reply   

#109 [url]

Apr 16 16 12:02 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:

bcmaiden wrote:
Matthew wrote:If the reports are true that Byron Scott has an excellent chance of returning next year, then that's the last straw with me; I'll be done with the Lakers, or at least go on a long hiatus. If Scott continues to coach the Lakers, I hope they get blown out by at least 50 points every game, and his name continues to be part of every worst coaching or franchise record there is. He's not just a piece of shit coach, but a piece of shit person, and his quotes today did nothing to disprove that.

You know how I feel about Byron Scott. The team is not watchable under him. All year Mitch has said that Byron was an innocent bystander to the Kobe farewell tour and that this coaching staff, who all stink, deserve another year without Kobe. His exit interview today reiterated that feeling and he praised the hell out of him for the job he did under the circumstances. It's beyond my comprehension that Mitch & Co. who are supposed to be basketball experts can honestly rationalize or approve of the product on the floor. 90% of the games looked like schoolyard ball void of offensive or defensive sets. How could they watch his choice of lineups/matchups/rotations/player usage as anything but incompetent and not see a problem with or without Kobe? Here's how. Mitch & Co. are on the same page as Byron and are just as clueless. It won't matter how many lottery picks they have or role playing vets they sign if Byron is the coach. This FO is a mess. There will be at least 5 or 6 head coaching jobs available and either the Lakers keep one of the worst coaches ever or dawdle in dumping him so that all the good hires will be gone. This is their MO when signing FA's too. They spend all their time trying to catch the big fish that ain't coming and lose out on really good 2nd tier players.  Unless by some miracle Durant becomes a Laker, I will also check out. 

If they are stupid enough to keep Scott, then I will watch as much as I did the past season.    Let's face it, this team is unwatchable.   Scott is unimaginative, his coaches are nothing more than yesmen and they need to lose Young, Sacre and Kelly in short order.   Black needs to spend a full season in the D-League to learn at least one offensive move and they need to make a decision on if Clarkson or Russell runs this team.    I am going with Russell because he has that it factor that could translate into being a perennial all star.   Clarkson is a serviceable point guard and has some value - move him for a couple ones (this year and next).    Have zero interest in Durant (can't stay on the court) or Whiteside (five cent brain comes into play here).   Would prefer getting pieces who fit in with Randle, Russell and Ingram (who they had better draft).    A decent wing (would love to see DeRozan come home, but he loves Toronto) and a rim protector for the middle - Joakim Noah is a free agent and it is safe to say he doesn't need the ball to be happy.   But, first lose Scott and see if Tom Thibodeaux or David Blatt wants to teach some kids how to play.  

I believe they're that stupid. DeRozan plays zero defense. Lakers already have Lou Williams who puts up points and plays defense like a traffic cone. Reports are that CHI will keep Noah and let Gasol go and that Thibs is looking for a position like Doc Rivers w/GM powers. I wanted Sacre & Kelly gone last year but after watching Hibbert this year I have a new dislike. He's absolutely horrible. The one thing he used to do, rim protection, is no longer an asset. He can't rebound, score in the post, catch or throw a pass, run or defend the pick'n'roll, or run the floor in transition. He does make FT's and leads the league in falling down. He wasn't worth the 2nd round pick and a classic panic move by Mitch after losing out on all the FA big men. 

Quote    Reply   

#110 [url]

Apr 17 16 7:43 PM

bcmaiden wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

bcmaiden wrote:

You know how I feel about Byron Scott. The team is not watchable under him. All year Mitch has said that Byron was an innocent bystander to the Kobe farewell tour and that this coaching staff, who all stink, deserve another year without Kobe. His exit interview today reiterated that feeling and he praised the hell out of him for the job he did under the circumstances. It's beyond my comprehension that Mitch & Co. who are supposed to be basketball experts can honestly rationalize or approve of the product on the floor. 90% of the games looked like schoolyard ball void of offensive or defensive sets. How could they watch his choice of lineups/matchups/rotations/player usage as anything but incompetent and not see a problem with or without Kobe? Here's how. Mitch & Co. are on the same page as Byron and are just as clueless. It won't matter how many lottery picks they have or role playing vets they sign if Byron is the coach. This FO is a mess. There will be at least 5 or 6 head coaching jobs available and either the Lakers keep one of the worst coaches ever or dawdle in dumping him so that all the good hires will be gone. This is their MO when signing FA's too. They spend all their time trying to catch the big fish that ain't coming and lose out on really good 2nd tier players.  Unless by some miracle Durant becomes a Laker, I will also check out. 

I believe they're that stupid. DeRozan plays zero defense. Lakers already have Lou Williams who puts up points and plays defense like a traffic cone. Reports are that CHI will keep Noah and let Gasol go and that Thibs is looking for a position like Doc Rivers w/GM powers. I wanted Sacre & Kelly gone last year but after watching Hibbert this year I have a new dislike. He's absolutely horrible. The one thing he used to do, rim protection, is no longer an asset. He can't rebound, score in the post, catch or throw a pass, run or defend the pick'n'roll, or run the floor in transition. He does make FT's and leads the league in falling down. He wasn't worth the 2nd round pick and a classic panic move by Mitch after losing out on all the FA big men. 

Hibbert was a huge mistake, but Kupchak set this season in stone when he signed Kobe for two years.   No one wants to play with Kobe because he doesn't share.   Now, that he is gone, we should be able to sign some useful pieces.   True, DeRozan doesn't play much defense but he can put the ball in the hole and that is something that is in dire need on this club.   Russell and Randle are still works in progress offensively (and defensively) while Williams can go hot and cold at a moment's notice.   I figure Noah will stick in Chicago, but bringing back Gasol would not be awful but his age makes signing him a bad bargain because we need guys on the younger end of the spectrum.    Just saw where Jackson is going whole hog after Luke Walton.   I am thinking that they could've stuck Bobo the Chimp in charge of the Warriors and still won a crapload of games.   I like Thibs, but Kupchak ain't sharing, so we are back to David Blatt, who I think got a huge raw deal in Cleveland (and another reason I think LBJ is a huge ass monkey).   I am hoping that when (please be when, not if) they fire Scott, they call Blatt first.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#112 [url]

Apr 24 16 8:54 PM

I see the top three choices to replace Scott, according to ESPN, are Kevin Ollie, Luke Walton and Jay Wright. I was hoping for David Blatt and with ESPN's penchant for being wrong, I figure he is the top of the list. Would not mind either Ollie or Wright as both seem to work magic with non-premier talent. I don't know if Walton can even coach. Hell, I could've coached the Warriors to 60+ victories. For most games they are on cruise control, so it isn't like Walton has shown me anything Popovichian.

Quote    Reply   

#114 [url]

Apr 24 16 11:42 PM

Honestly, at this point, hiring the freaking peanut vendor would be at least a tenfold improvement over Scott. If the Lakers had a decent shot at Durant, Ollie would probably be the best option, but since they don't have a shot in hell at Durant, I think, for better or worse, Luke is the next coach. Everyone's trying to emulate Golden State, and he's from that tree, so that should satiate Mitch/Jim, while the former Laker/understudy of Phil part of it should appease Jeanie and the Showtime assholes. Also, if the Lakers suck next year and Jim/Mitch get canned, he's also a coach Phil would likely keep. I'd honestly be surprised if it's not him, and with Curry breaking down and Golden State perhaps not being for long, this could be the perfect time to get out.  I'm 50/50 on how he'd do; I think people are in love with the idea of Luke Walton than anything else.  I wouldn't be surprised if he did a great job, but I could see problems, as well.

Like Torgy, I also like David Blatt and am surprised how he's basically become an afterthought. His situation in Cleveland was doomed from the start the moment LeBron went back. I think Blatt would do an incredible job developing the young talent. And since the Lakers have a tendency of hiring former Cleveland coaches…

Last Edited By: Matthew Apr 24 16 11:46 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#115 [url]

Apr 24 16 11:43 PM

ocmike24 wrote:
With suitable apologies to Dr. King: "Free at last, free at last, praise God Almighty, we are free at last!"

I Had a Dream about this day happening.

Quote    Reply   

#116 [url]

Apr 25 16 5:07 AM

Matthew wrote:
Honestly, at this point, hiring the freaking peanut vendor would be at least a tenfold improvement over Scott. If the Lakers had a decent shot at Durant, Ollie would probably be the best option, but since they don't have a shot in hell at Durant, I think, for better or worse, Luke is the next coach. Everyone's trying to emulate Golden State, and he's from that tree, so that should satiate Mitch/Jim, while the former Laker/understudy of Phil part of it should appease Jeanie and the Showtime assholes. Also, if the Lakers suck next year and Jim/Mitch get canned, he's also a coach Phil would likely keep. I'd honestly be surprised if it's not him, and with Curry breaking down and Golden State perhaps not being for long, this could be the perfect time to get out.  I'm 50/50 on how he'd do; I think people are in love with the idea of Luke Walton than anything else.  I wouldn't be surprised if he did a great job, but I could see problems, as well.

Like Torgy, I also like David Blatt and am surprised how he's basically become an afterthought. His situation in Cleveland was doomed from the start the moment LeBron went back. I think Blatt would do an incredible job developing the young talent. And since the Lakers have a tendency of hiring former Cleveland coaches…
I said earlier in the season that the current Lakers  needed the best teacher in the game as coach, instead they had perhaps the worst in the history of the league.  I would much prefer Blatt over Walton for that reason.

Quote    Reply   

#117 [url]

Apr 25 16 7:17 AM

ocmike24 wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I said earlier in the season that the current Lakers  needed the best teacher in the game as coach, instead they had perhaps the worst in the history of the league.  I would much prefer Blatt over Walton for that reason.

This is reason one I want Blatt.   When the Cavs hired him, he was supposed to teach Kyrie Irving how to be a premier point guard and have guys like Anthony Bennett and Andrew Wiggins to develop then Dan Gilbert basically gave him the kiss of death by adding LBJ and Kevin Love into the mix and they might as well fired Blatt at that moment.    With young guys like Russell, Randle, Nance and (hopefully) Ingram, Blatt would be perfect.    Sure, they might not be a playoff team from Day One, but there would be progress.   Add in a quality veteran like Al Horford and find a way to keep Brandon Bass along with Lou Williams and I can see 35-38 wins in '16 - '17.    They have to move Clarkson though.   Sign and trade him for draft picks (a one this year around 24-30 range and one next year).  Lose Nick Young, Robert Sacre and Ryan Kelly yesterday.   Would love to see them take a shot at Jonathan Jeanne, the 7'2" Frenchman.  He is skinny and likely needs to spend another year in France, but he has offensive moves and is a rim protector - that wingspan is ridiculous and 38" leaping ability is nuts.   Add about forty to fifty pounds of muscle and he could be a great find.   I think he will be there at 24-30 due to his age (18) and his lack of bulk.  

Quote    Reply   

#118 [url]

Apr 25 16 8:30 AM

Well, this was something that needed to be done. Should have done it sooner IMHO. Then again, nothing with this ownership is surprising.

The problem is multi-layered with this organization. And, it starts at the top. This team is rudderless with Jim Buss in any capacity in the FO. I would even go one step further in that the best case scenario would be for the Lakers to be sold by the Buss family to a new, progressive ownership group. Sound familiar? The Blue went through this type of painful stretch until our current ownership bought the team. In a perfect world, this scenario would repeat itself with the Lakers. I really doubt this occurs, so the next best thing is to clean out the mess that is Jim Buss.

I'd be doing cartwheels if Jeannie Buss listened to the consensus and ditched her brother. Go one step further, make amends with Jerry West. Offer him the moon and power and let him bring Luke Walton (or his choice) to coach the team. Let him groom his son (Ryan) to take over in a few years. This team needs respectability and currently it is lacking. If West isn't in the offing, then move in another direction to bring someone in that is well respected in NBA circles. And, I do not think that Phil Jackson is that person. That ship has sailed and the FO screwed up when they should have hired him and instead hired D'Antoni.

As players start deciding where to go in free agency, the chances of top players that would see the Lakers as a choice will shy away due to this mess not only in the FO, but the lack of any direction. Bring back West (jettison Jim Buss) and hire a coach that can relate to young players (Scott was horrific in this regard) and maybe this will once again be a destination for players that want to be a part of the purple and gold. Until then, I am afraid we will see the same depressing merry go round.

Oh yeah, they need the stars to align and keep this draft pick! Getting either Simmons or Ingram would be a nice addition for the new coach to build upon what the Lakers already have.

Last Edited By: True2DaBlue Apr 25 16 8:36 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#120 [url]

Apr 25 16 10:04 AM

Matthew wrote:
YES!! HE'S GONE!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lakers-fire-coach-byron-scott-033247772.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Late to the party...I just found out...and what heavenly news it is...all I can say is...
PRAISE BABY JESUS

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help