Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 5 14 6:30 PM

Tags : :

Oh happy day!   Not only did Baseball Prospectus show up in the afternoon mail, but so did the 2014 Baseball America Prospect Handbook (forever known as the Bible).   Much giddiness prevails.

The top ten list is old news so we will move on to the guys in the 11-31 rankings

11.  Jose Dominguez rhp  age 23 (as of June 1) ML (highest level attained)
12. Tom Windle lhp age 22 A-
13. Yimi Garcia rhp age 23 AA
14. Cody Bellinger 1b age 18 Rookie
15. Jacob Scavuzzo of age 20 Rookie
16. Matt Magill rhp age 24 ML
17. Scott Schebler of age 23 A+
18. Justin Chigbogu 1b age 19 Rookie
19. Pedro Baez rhp age 26 AA
20. Victor Gonzalez lhp age 18 Rookie
21. Zach Bird rhp age 19 A-
22. Jesmuel Valentin 2b/ss age 20 A-
23. Ibandel Isabel of age 18 Rookie
24. Hector Nelo rhp age 27 AA
25. Darnell Sweeney 2b/ss age 23 A+
26. Tyler Ogle 1b/c age 23 AAA
27. Jon Garcia of age 22 AA
28. Ariel Sandoval of age 18 Rookie
29. Victor Arano rhp age 19 Rookie
30. Brandon Dixon 3b age 22 A-
31. Miguel Rojas ss age 25 AAA

All in all, not a bad list, but I have a quibble with Dixon, Nelo and Rojas as I feel that Adam Law, Kyle Farmer and Joey Curletta are all better prospects with higher upsides.   I have high hopes that Farmer makes it all the way to AA due to the dearth in catching in this system.  Law fills a speed quotient that is lacking save Sweeney and Sandoval.   As for Curletta, aside from Chigbogu, he might have the best power on the farm, although when I look at Jacob Scavuzzo, I see Matt Kemp when he was a gleam in our eyes.  Given where this system was two years ago, it is flat out amazing that power arms like Jacob Rhame, Jarret Martin and Scott Griggs can't even sniff the top thirty.  
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 6 14 10:36 AM

The other name left off that surprised me was 3B Alex Santana
who was ranked #23 last year by BA.

6'4" 200 - R/R - HS(FL) - August 21, 1993 - 2011 Draft (2nd Round)

(17) 2011 50 189 30 45 10 3 1 19 10 64 8 1 .238 .298 .339 .636 ARZ
(18) 2012 50 189 26 48 11 2 2 31 15 70 5 3 .254 .306 .365 .671 ARZ/OGD
(19) 2013 55 205 39 67 10 4 2 27 20 39 7 3 .327 .391 .444 .835 OGD

AGE-YR-GP-R-H-2B-3B-HR-RBI-BB-SO-SB-CS-AVG-OBP-SLG-OPS-TEAM

Santana improved greatly last year, especially in regards to plate
discipline.  In roughly the same amount of at bats, he increased
his walk rate by nearly 30% while at the same time cutting his
strikeout rate by roughly 40%.

His power has not shown up yet, but that is usually the last thing
to come.

Last Edited By: BLUEFAN Feb 6 14 10:39 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jul 22 14 2:13 PM

Went to the Quakes/Blaze game last night here in bako. All I have to say is Guerrero is a beast. Every ball he hit was hit HARD! Also ended up meeting him briefly and getting his autograph. Seemed like a nice guy signing for everyone. Didnt seem to speak any english so he had his translater there. Baldwin made one helluva catch in center diving to his left. Rathjen crushed a grand slam and the blaze really had no answer for him. Geoff Brown pitched 3 strong innings in relief and has the strangest delivery. I thought he had balked a few times. Too bad seager got the promotion right before this series would have loved to see him.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 29 14 7:36 AM

Does is seem odd that this program doesn't have much in the way of Catchers and that they never seem to target them in the Draft? When you have holes that big at one position, wouldn't it make sense to try and fill them? We have nothing that we can bring up eventually to replace Ellis. We didn't draft one this year until Redman in the 8th round and he couldn't hit a lick in college so there goes that hope for any offense in the pros.

It seems like the one hope is Kyle Farmer who seems to have upside but he is just learning the position to to expect him to make any sort of impact would be probably 2017 or even later.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 29 14 7:49 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
Does is seem odd that this program doesn't have much in the way of Catchers and that they never seem to target them in the Draft? When you have holes that big at one position, wouldn't it make sense to try and fill them? We have nothing that we can bring up eventually to replace Ellis. We didn't draft one this year until Redman in the 8th round and he couldn't hit a lick in college so there goes that hope for any offense in the pros.

It seems like the one hope is Kyle Farmer who seems to have upside but he is just learning the position to to expect him to make any sort of impact would be probably 2017 or even later.
Well, we had Russell Martin (converted from third base) and Carlos Santana, but let them both get away.  That would be a pretty strong tandem had we kept them.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 11 14 9:01 PM

Just got to watch the Topes the last 4 out of 5 games. Observations: Joc - played CF and LF. Good routes, above arm, but wasn't really tested extremely hard. Swung the bat really well, had 2 bombs, hit the ball hard. Until tonight. Seemed to be swinging for the fence, as the wind was blowing to left field at about 20 mph. Chris Reed - saw his first AAA start. First impression is he reminds me of Chris Sale, except he is around 92-93 instead of 97-98. Decent slider. He held his own, gave up a two run shot. I could see him slotting as a 3-4 starter. Zach Lee - threw well tonight. Fastball sits around 89-90, touched 92 once. Curveball was 76-77, but rarely threw it. Good break when he did throw it. With my seats, he threw what I think is his cutter. It sat around 81-83. He threw that quite a bit. Had good numbers tonight once he started working ahead in the count. Guerrero- he can swing it. Not much power, at least in this series. Line drive power. Defensively, he looked avg. Didn't have many plays to speak of. Arby - avg bat, looks very nonchalant when making routine plays. I guess you could say the same about Puig. Yimi Garcia - saw one relief stint. Very good fastball, could be a good bullpen piece this year or next.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Aug 13 14 12:57 PM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
Scott Schebler ... legitimate prospect? Discuss.

Dodgers Digest just posted a piece on him today, I dont follow many of the minor leaguers so I cant contribute much on this topic but he seams like a valuable enough piece, not sure how he fits in with LA but AAA could give him some nice shiny numbers to become a good trade piece

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 15 14 3:08 PM

UCSB07 wrote:
Sounds like AAA will be moving, maybe AA as well

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/minor-league-player-development-contracts/
I'm fine with getting away from Albuquerque, because of that awful park (even though I love the Simpsons reference).  Chattanooga, I'm not married to either because we were just in Jacksonville, so who cares.  It'd be nice to have some continuity, but that doesn't seem to be the norm in minor league ball.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 15 14 3:24 PM

Did some further reading sounds like the Dodger brass is looking to outright buy a minor league team (OKC red halks are for sale not just lease), not just sign a player development contract, which may be motivating the move as much as getting away from AZ. I imagine this will be the case with the rest of the system, as locations become available for sale they would probably prefer to have full control over all their teams

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Sep 16 14 9:55 PM

Dodgers new AAA team will be the Oklahoma City RedHawks and their new AA squad looks like they will be the Tulsa Drillers of the Texas League. To be honest, I was hoping that MSTI was right about Mobile, but it sounds like Tulsa will be the new AA franchise.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Sep 17 14 3:24 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Dodgers new AAA team will be the Oklahoma City RedHawks and their new AA squad looks like they will be the Tulsa Drillers of the Texas League. To be honest, I was hoping that MSTI was right about Mobile, but it sounds like Tulsa will be the new AA franchise.
Dodgers with a strong Oklahoma flavor for their top two minor league franchises.  Might be worth following an in-law visit in North Texas (Dallas), with a trip to see the future Dodgers across the Red River.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help