Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Sep 17 14 7:19 PM

WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
Dodgers new AAA team will be the Oklahoma City RedHawks and their new AA squad looks like they will be the Tulsa Drillers of the Texas League. To be honest, I was hoping that MSTI was right about Mobile, but it sounds like Tulsa will be the new AA franchise.
Dodgers with a strong Oklahoma flavor for their top two minor league franchises.  Might be worth following an in-law visit in North Texas (Dallas), with a trip to see the future Dodgers across the Red River.

I am just waiting for the schedule to come out and taking a few flights to Dallas and renting a car for a long weekend (er, week) in Oklahoma for some games.   Haven't been to Oklahoma since the late eighties, but I always had a good time there.   I hear a name change is in the offing for the Oklahoma City Nine.....Bison would be grand.   I am sure they could get some commercial work from Matt Kemp to sell tickets there and Tulsa.   

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Sep 18 14 11:44 AM

The affiliate shuffle in the minors continues with the Giants moving up 99 to Sacramento from Fresno and the Astros taking over for the Giants in Fresno. The A's have moved east to Nashville (I don't get that, having your AAA franchise over 2,000 miles away doesn't seem "thrifty".) and the Rockies moved from Colorado Springs (from what I have read, it is bad situation there -stadium issues, too hitter friendly, weak attendance - and the Brewers are stuck with them) to Albuquerque and of course, we are now in Oklahoma City. The people in Fresno will be getting a long look at some of the best prospects in the game in the coming years.

In the AA shuffle, the Twins take over for us in Chattanooga, the Rockies will be moving from Tulsa to New Britain in the Eastern League (Rockies/RockCats.....nice) and the Diamondbacks continue in Mobile, a situation that doesn't seem to be working as the folks in Mobile were hoping to get the Dodgers. Something about the Snakes being a hard team to deal with, imagine that.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Sep 18 14 12:08 PM

I'm excited about the Tulsa move from Chattanooga. Tulsa is a really nice area based on my limited exposure. Being a Texas league franchise, Tulsa will be playing in some places I enjoy visiting, namely San Antonio, Frisco (Dallas suburb), and my old home, Corpus Christi. I love minor league baseball, and that's one thing I miss here. The closest team to me now is the Sugar Land Skeeters, an Independent League team. They have some ex-Dodgers/mlb'ers this year such as Delwyn Young, Ryan Langerhans, Nick Stavinoha, Gary Majewski, and Brian Barton, but SL is a far southwest suburb of Houston and I'm north of Houston, making it a 60-mile one way trip with Houston traffic most of the way.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Oct 13 14 9:32 AM

Here's how we're doing in the BA top-20 rankings of each minor league...

Arizona: 2. Grant Holmes; 6. Alex Verdugo
Pioneer: 3. Jose De Leon; 6. Julian Leon; 13. Jeff Brigham
Midwest: 12. Jesmuel Valentin; 15. Zach Bird; 17. Kyle Farmer
Cal League: 2. Corey Seager (Correa #1? pffft); 3. Urias; 11. Anderson
Southern: 3. Seager (behind Bryant and Russell); 14. Reed; 17. Schebler

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Oct 13 14 11:21 AM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
Here's how we're doing in the BA top-20 rankings of each minor league...

Arizona: 2. Grant Holmes; 6. Alex Verdugo
Pioneer: 3. Jose De Leon; 6. Julian Leon; 13. Jeff Brigham
Midwest: 12. Jesmuel Valentin; 15. Zach Bird; 17. Kyle Farmer
Cal League: 2. Corey Seager (Correa #1? pffft); 3. Urias; 11. Anderson
Southern: 3. Seager (behind Bryant and Russell); 14. Reed; 17. Schebler

Valentin = gone/as in traded for that power arm, Fausto Carmona, who pretends to be a pitcher

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Oct 28 14 10:55 AM

I hope you all re checking out how well our prospects are doing in the AFL. Specifically, Sweeney is looking like a legit 2B prospect average speed and D, Schebler is showing that power might be legit and Seager is proving that he might be ready sooner than expected. Add in the arms not named Magill and there are more prospects out there than Pederson, Urias and Saeger.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Oct 28 14 11:50 AM

Bluegineer wrote:
I hope you all re checking out how well our prospects are doing in the AFL. Specifically, Sweeney is looking like a legit 2B prospect average speed and D, Schebler is showing that power might be legit and Seager is proving that he might be ready sooner than expected. Add in the arms not named Magill and there are more prospects out there than Pederson, Urias and Saeger.

Oh yeah, I'm watching.  Seager will be in the all-star game on Saturday, which will be televised by MLBN (I believe) FYI.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Oct 28 14 12:34 PM

Bluegineer wrote:

Sweeney is apparently a defensive liability and error prone which makes me sad because he can hit. 

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Oct 28 14 2:17 PM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
Bluegineer wrote:

Oh yeah, I'm watching.  Seager will be in the all-star game on Saturday, which will be televised by MLBN (I believe) FYI.
Sweet!  That should be fun to watch.  Loving what our guys are doing while trying to keep expectations from getting out of hand.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Oct 28 14 3:50 PM

bcmaiden wrote:
Bluegineer wrote:

Sweeney is apparently a defensive liability and error prone which makes me sad because he can hit. 
I have always thought that minor league defensive stats like errors are overblown.   I am more interested in his range, hands and arm.   Coming out of college, his arm was one of the best in the draft and his range was very good.   I don't know how to quantify his hands, but two out of three ain't bad.   I have read that Chattanooga's infield was a minefield and I know the infield at RC was equally as bad.  I will be interested on how he does at Oklahoma City if they stick him at short.    Even the sure-handed Seager and Arruebarrena had issues with the Chattanooga infield.   Given that Sweeney spent the entire year there, I can understand the high error total.  It would be interesting to see if there is a split between fielding and throwing errors at Chattanooga.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Oct 28 14 9:10 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:

bcmaiden wrote:
Bluegineer wrote:I hope you all re checking out how well our prospects are doing in the AFL. Specifically, Sweeney is looking like a legit 2B prospect average speed and D, Schebler is showing that power might be legit and Seager is proving that he might be ready sooner than expected. Add in the arms not named Magill and there are more prospects out there than Pederson, Urias and Saeger.

I have always thought that minor league defensive stats like errors are overblown.   I am more interested in his range, hands and arm.   Coming out of college, his arm was one of the best in the draft and his range was very good.   I don't know how to quantify his hands, but two out of three ain't bad.   I have read that Chattanooga's infield was a minefield and I know the infield at RC was equally as bad.  I will be interested on how he does at Oklahoma City if they stick him at short.    Even the sure-handed Seager and Arruebarrena had issues with the Chattanooga infield.   Given that Sweeney spent the entire year there, I can understand the high error total.  It would be interesting to see if there is a split between fielding and throwing errors at Chattanooga.  

He has 5 errors in the AFL right now in 10 games. That's too many and not a function of a poor infield. 

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Oct 29 14 7:48 AM

bcmaiden wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

bcmaiden wrote:
Bluegineer wrote:I hope you all re checking out how well our prospects are doing in the AFL. Specifically, Sweeney is looking like a legit 2B prospect average speed and D, Schebler is showing that power might be legit and Seager is proving that he might be ready sooner than expected. Add in the arms not named Magill and there are more prospects out there than Pederson, Urias and Saeger.

He has 5 errors in the AFL right now in 10 games. That's too many and not a function of a poor infield. 
What I have seen of the infields in the AFL, there are none there that are that great.    Between dry, less than humid conditions, rocky soil and with instructional games and multiple AFL games going on they are pretty well chewed up.   Again, I am not going to dump on a kid who could be a valuable piece over perceived defensive inadequacies based on error totals.   I have always felt that errors are a poor barometer to judge a fielder.    Mind you, if the guy makes sixty or seventy errors that does make one think, but Sweeney's error totals are nothing more than outliers.   For comparison, I give you David Eckstein.   He had low error totals throughout his career and I doubt you can find anyone who lumps him into the same class as Ozzie Smith or Brandon Phillips as a defensive middle infielder.    The same can be said for Jeff Kent.   Great glove, but the range of a postage stamp and an arm that was average at best.  Range, arm strength and first step quickness are more important to me than error totals.   Players will make errors.  That is a given, I am more interested in the potential base hits a player saves by having the above-mentioned attributes.   

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Oct 29 14 11:55 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:

bcmaiden wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
bcmaiden wrote:

He has 5 errors in the AFL right now in 10 games. That's too many and not a function of a poor infield. What I have seen of the infields in the AFL, there are none there that are that great.    Between dry, less than humid conditions, rocky soil and with instructional games and multiple AFL games going on they are pretty well chewed up.   Again, I am not going to dump on a kid who could be a valuable piece over perceived defensive inadequacies based on error totals.   I have always felt that errors are a poor barometer to judge a fielder.    Mind you, if the guy makes sixty or seventy errors that does make one think, but Sweeney's error totals are nothing more than outliers.   For comparison, I give you David Eckstein.   He had low error totals throughout his career and I doubt you can find anyone who lumps him into the same class as Ozzie Smith or Brandon Phillips as a defensive middle infielder.    The same can be said for Jeff Kent.   Great glove, but the range of a postage stamp and an arm that was average at best.  Range, arm strength and first step quickness are more important to me than error totals.   Players will make errors.  That is a given, I am more interested in the potential base hits a player saves by having the above-mentioned attributes.   

Okay, but why did everyone dislike Dee so much? See, I agree about those other athletic skills each guy has. Dee made lots of errors but you could still see his incredible range, his quickness/agility, great arm, and athleticism. His development at 2B is remarkable. His flaw now is his inability to take a walk to increase his OBP. I hope you're right about Sweeney. 

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Oct 29 14 2:36 PM

bcmaiden wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

bcmaiden wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
bcmaiden wrote:

He has 5 errors in the AFL right now in 10 games. That's too many and not a function of a poor infield. What I have seen of the infields in the AFL, there are none there that are that great.    Between dry, less than humid conditions, rocky soil and with instructional games and multiple AFL games going on they are pretty well chewed up.   Again, I am not going to dump on a kid who could be a valuable piece over perceived defensive inadequacies based on error totals.   I have always felt that errors are a poor barometer to judge a fielder.    Mind you, if the guy makes sixty or seventy errors that does make one think, but Sweeney's error totals are nothing more than outliers.   For comparison, I give you David Eckstein.   He had low error totals throughout his career and I doubt you can find anyone who lumps him into the same class as Ozzie Smith or Brandon Phillips as a defensive middle infielder.    The same can be said for Jeff Kent.   Great glove, but the range of a postage stamp and an arm that was average at best.  Range, arm strength and first step quickness are more important to me than error totals.   Players will make errors.  That is a given, I am more interested in the potential base hits a player saves by having the above-mentioned attributes.   

Okay, but why did everyone dislike Dee so much? See, I agree about those other athletic skills each guy has. Dee made lots of errors but you could still see his incredible range, his quickness/agility, great arm, and athleticism. His development at 2B is remarkable. His flaw now is his inability to take a walk to increase his OBP. I hope you're right about Sweeney. 
Dee's biggest problem was his throwing motion.   He pretty much side-armed the ball from short and aside from Cal Ripken, that seems to be a recipe for higher error totals.  The same problem forced Brandon Phillips to move from shortstop, also.   Gordon had it all, range, arm strength and first step quickness, but reading hitters and a side-arm motion tended to ensure he was going to move off of short.   Even at second, when he gets lazy, the ball sails on him to first.   That is just one of several things that I feel will trouble him going into next season along with a lousy walk rate and a tendency to try to lift everything when he gets worn out.  I just keep on seeing similar at bats to Juan Pierre towards the end of the season.  

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Oct 30 14 2:30 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Dee's biggest problem was his throwing motion.   He pretty much side-armed the ball from short and aside from Cal Ripken, that seems to be a recipe for higher error totals.  The same problem forced Brandon Phillips to move from shortstop, also.   Gordon had it all, range, arm strength and first step quickness, but reading hitters and a side-arm motion tended to ensure he was going to move off of short.   Even at second, when he gets lazy, the ball sails on him to first.   That is just one of several things that I feel will trouble him going into next season along with a lousy walk rate and a tendency to try to lift everything when he gets worn out.  I just keep on seeing similar at bats to Juan Pierre towards the end of the season.  

I saw him turn way too many playable balls into singles (not errors) this year -- balls that were tough, but playable.  Balls scooting under or hopping over his glove.  Using good range to get to a ball only to have it bounce off the heel of his glove.  Stuff like that.  

I still feel the same way about him as I did before: I'm not in favor of dumping him, as I think he still has good value and has a chance to take that next step in production, but I'm also not against dealing him if we can get something of need back.   I just don't know what kind of player he'll end up becoming, but the lack of walks is his biggest obstacle to stardom right now.   He needs to find a way to draw 60-80 walks a year to be effective.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Nov 4 14 8:01 PM

DSinSoCal wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

I saw him turn way too many playable balls into singles (not errors) this year -- balls that were tough, but playable.  Balls scooting under or hopping over his glove.  Using good range to get to a ball only to have it bounce off the heel of his glove.  Stuff like that.  

I still feel the same way about him as I did before: I'm not in favor of dumping him, as I think he still has good value and has a chance to take that next step in production, but I'm also not against dealing him if we can get something of need back.   I just don't know what kind of player he'll end up becoming, but the lack of walks is his biggest obstacle to stardom right now.   He needs to find a way to draw 60-80 walks a year to be effective.

I just don't know if he has the patience or strike zone command to ever walk that much.   I also kind of doubt he will ever be better than '14.   I just feel that his value will never be higher and he is still relatively cost-controlled for the next three years.   If we can get a starter and another piece for him, I would do it.   Kind of a reverse DeShields/Pedro deal.  

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Apr 9 15 8:21 PM

De Leon with 5IP, 10K, 0ER, 1H in his Cal League debut. Wow. The question coming into the season was how legit were his video game numbers at the end of last year. If this is a peak of things to come he was rated too low (5/6) on most prospect lists.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

May 21 15 9:03 PM

Just wrapped up watching OkC get handled by the 51's. Steven Matz, now the top prospect in the Mets farm, was on the hill. He's consistently 93-94 from the left side, very good breaking ball, decent change. Seager was handcuffed all 3 times vs. Matz. Dribblers to 1B, 2B, and SS. Sweeney is fast and swings like he has McGwire power. Shebler was very average as well. Scott Baker is still collecting a paycheck. Chris Reed apears to be a reliever again. Got roughed up for an inning, then settled down for the next one. Zach Lee will start Sunday.

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

May 24 15 2:14 PM

Just got back from the OKC Dodgers game vs. LV.  

Zach Lee had a fine outing.  7 IP, 4 H, BB, 3 K's.  No runs allowed.
I didn't make it to the game Weiland threw, but it appears either him or Lee are next in line if Frias is to be replaced.
Lee's fastball sits 91-92.  His curveball ranged from 72 to 79, very close to a 12-6 break.  Very similar to Bolsinger.  Also has a slider in the 82-84 range.  I thought I saw a change, but he didn't throw hardly at all.
He isn't a big strikeout guy.  He mowed thru the 51's lineup today by mixing his pitches very well, with good location.
Seager didn't have a good series.  I think he ended up 1 for 16 for the series.
Shebler heated up yesterday a bit, and had a couple more hits today.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help