Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 27 14 6:02 PM

Tags : :

I posted on another thread the number of ballparks Linda and I have visited and it was suggested it could make a good thread.

Ground rules:

Only major league stadiums, current or defunct.
You must have actually seen a game in the park.

Here's my list (current, parks I still have to see, and defunct parks):

Dodger Stadium
Angel Stadium
Petco Park
ATT Park
Oakland Coliseum
Chase Field
Ballpark in Arlington
Minute Maid Park
Kauffman Stadium
Busch Stadium
Wrigley Field
US Cellular Field
Miller Park
Rogers Centre
Progressive Field
Great American Ballpark
PNC Park
Citizens Bank Park
New Yankee Stadium 
Citi Field 
Fenway Park
Camden Yards
Nationals Park
Tropicana Field

Still to go:

Coors Field (this year)
Safeco Park
Target Field
Comerica Park
Turner Field (we'll probably wait until the new stadium is built)
Marlins Park

Defunct:

Jack Murphy
LA Coliseum
Candlestink Park
Original Yankee Stadium
Shea
Veterans Stadium

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 28 14 8:18 PM

Being an old fart I've been in six in New York alone - two each for the Mets and Yankees and the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field. I've also been in two in Philly, two in SF, two in Chicago, two in St. Louis, Baltimore, Miami, Texas, Montreal, Boston, Washington and of course Dodgers Stadium. That's 21 I can remember.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 29 14 10:48 AM

Here's my list of MLB Parks where I have attended a game.

Current Parks
Dodger Stadium
Minute Maid Park Houston
Ball Park at Arlington Texas
Turner Field Atlanta
Petco Park SD
Coors Field Colorado
Nationals Park DC
Tropicana Tampa
Rogers Centre Toronto
Citi Bank Park Philadelphia
Oakland Coliseum
PNC Park Pittsburgh
Great American Ballpark Cincinnati
Chase Field Arizona

Defunct MLB Parks
Los Angeles Coliseum
Colt Stadium Houston
The Astrodome Houston
Arlington Stadium Texas
Metrodome MN
Atlanta Fulton County Stadium
Joe Robbie Stadium Florida
Shea Stadium NYC
Candlestick Park SF
Jack Murphy SD

There are only two of the stadia listed above that I did not attend Dodger games. I was in Minneapolis to run the Twin Cities Marathon, October 2, 1988. It was the last weekend of the regular season and a buddy of mine and I went to the Twins vs. ??? game two nights before the marathon. Also, I attended a Rangers game in their old stadium and saw David Clyde pitch.

Obviously, I'm missing some biggies such as Wrigley, Fenway, and Yankee Stadium. Hope to knock Wrigley off the bucket list this September.

Last Edited By: WildHare Mar 29 14 10:51 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 30 14 4:32 PM

Womp womp. As a young, broke person, I've only been to Dodger Stadium, Safeco Field, Nationals Park, and Miller Park. I've only made it to that many because I've specifically lived in those cities. But now that I'm living in Aspen, I'm planning at least one trip to Coors Field this summer--and I'm going to try to swing down to Chase Field at the end of August, too.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 31 14 12:15 PM

WickedCurves wrote:
Speaking of ballparks, this post on Deadspin today is kind of interesting: http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-propose-in-each-mlb-ballpark-1555374002

Did you know that Dodger Stadium is the most expensive ballpark to propose in? It costs $2500! Holy cow.

The Marlins charge $500 to propose in front of the 2500 people who show up?  That's a lot more expensive per witness than the Dodgers!

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 31 14 4:33 PM

WickedCurves wrote:
Speaking of ballparks, this post on Deadspin today is kind of interesting: http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-propose-in-each-mlb-ballpark-1555374002

Did you know that Dodger Stadium is the most expensive ballpark to propose in? It costs $2500! Holy cow.
Nobody is a bigger Dodger fan than I, but if would seem a total misrepresentation of the sanctity of marriage, to propose in front of 50,000 people.  Lamer than lame.  Think of the romantic setting that $2500 would bring.  Besides, what if she turned you down???   smiley: sick

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Apr 1 14 2:55 AM

WildHare wrote:
WickedCurves wrote:

Nobody is a bigger Dodger fan than I, but if would seem a total misrepresentation of the sanctity of marriage, to propose in front of 50,000 people.  Lamer than lame.  Think of the romantic setting that $2500 would bring.  Besides, what if she turned you down???   smiley: sick

Then you'd be saved the future expense of a divorce lawyer.smiley: roll

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 1 14 5:54 AM

Many moons ago, I was at an Angel game. In the middle of the game, the scoreboard flashed "Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. JD Elmquest, who just got married in the upper deck, during the game." Turns out, I went to high school with JD Elmquest, and that was TOTALLY in character with the goofball. No idea if the marriage lasted or not.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Apr 1 14 7:13 AM

WildHare wrote:

WickedCurves wrote:Speaking of ballparks, this post on Deadspin today is kind of interesting: http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-propose-in-each-mlb-ballpark-1555374002

Nobody is a bigger Dodger fan than I, but if would seem a total misrepresentation of the sanctity of marriage, to propose in front of 50,000 people.  Lamer than lame.  Think of the romantic setting that $2500 would bring.  Besides, what if she turned you down???   image

I'm not a fan of public proposals, either. I mean, save that $2500 and put it toward the rock, at least.

And, an update: http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-propose-in-each-mlb-ballpark-1555374002/1555582695/+reubenfb. <-- One of if not the first proposal of the season, at a White Sox game ($55).

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Apr 1 14 7:16 AM

Also, this thread motivated me to get a move on with my summer plans. Just bought my tickets for Dodgers at Rockies, June 7-8, and Dodgers at Dbacks, August 26-27. Anyone else gonna be in the vicinity?

Woohoo, road trips!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 14 14 1:07 PM

WickedCurves wrote:
Also, this thread motivated me to get a move on with my summer plans. Just bought my tickets for Dodgers at Rockies, June 7-8, and Dodgers at Dbacks, August 26-27. Anyone else gonna be in the vicinity?

Woohoo, road trips!
Have tentative plans to visit Coors (the stadium, not the swill beer) but it's a month later on July 4th weekend.  

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 14 14 8:36 PM

WildHare wrote:
WickedCurves wrote:

Woohoo, road trips!
Have tentative plans to visit Coors (the stadium, not the swill beer) but it's a month later on July 4th weekend.  

That's when toes and I will be there!

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

May 18 14 9:22 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Morning, all. We took in a game at Marlins Park a couple weeks ago and it isn't bad as ballparks go. Sure, it do with less teal but otherwise, good food and great seats.

I live in Miami about half of the year and despite having spent a lifetime travelling around to different ballparks (at least 21 of them) I have not visited the new Miami Marlin Stadium and never will.  I even turn down very easy to score free tickets often offered to me, even when the Dodgers are in town.  Why?  The people of Miami voted down financing the stadium twice in referendums but the mayor found a way to push it through anyway.  The decision was so unpopular that a recall election was held and despite the fact that the mayor had been popular enough to get elected in the first place, 87% of people voted to recall him.  Do you know how hard it is to get 87% of the people to agree on anything?

Despite having promised not to do so, almost as soon as the park was finished Jeffrey Loria started dumping players and soon got back to the position he is most comfortable in - the lowest payroll.  The team draws flies as it always has but Loria laughs all the way to the bank leaching revenue sharing from other teams and the Marlins are one of the most profitable franchises.  If the ex-mayor does not have a well hidden bribe stashed away he is an even bigger putz than I think he is.  The contract he signed was so ridiculously one-sided that even though the Marlins didn't build the park or own it, when events happen there that actually draw crowds, like concerts and soccer games, the Marlins get big revenue from them.

If none of that is enough to get you to stay away, ponder this.  The park was built in a poor, mostly Cuban neighborhood.  The homes there do not have garages and the people park their car in front of their own homes on the street.  When the park was built, very little parking was built with it so on the occasions when there are actually crowds (opening day and concerts etc.) the parking capacity is easily over-stripped.  They passed a law making it illegal for those poor people to park in front of their own homes on those event days to make room for the customers.  Instead, the poor people are being forced to park two miles away and walk home.

I ask you to never in any was support the Marlins or attend a game in their park even if offered a ticket for free.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help