Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 5 15 4:53 PM

Tags : :

It's TIME for Dodger BASEBALL!  I'll be at Our Lady tomorrow, so I'm opening the season thread tonight.  Have at it and let's get this one!

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Apr 5 15 5:28 PM

bcmaiden wrote:
The ESPN strike zone graphics is awesome. BASEBALL...YOWSA

P.S. Very nice thread title, Blaster. 
Yeah, it almost overcomes the presence of John Kruk.

Did anyone see the new Kershaw Subway commercial.  I had heard it was in the works, but today was the first time I saw it.  (Maybe it got tested in SoCal?)  Subway and ChickFilA.  Only fast food worth eating.

Jon Lester threw over to first base (pickoff) a grand total of ZERO/ZIP/NADA times last year according to ESPN crew.  He had a perfect chance to cut a runner down at third on a comebacker and ran the ball to first with one out.  ESPN crew is saying he has the "yips" about throwing to bases.  Wow!  And how much is he being paid?

Last Edited By: WildHare Apr 5 15 5:33 PM. Edited 2 times.

#3 [url]

Apr 5 15 5:37 PM

"New Office, New Players, New Hope" - The 2015 Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread

@JonHeymanCBS: dodgers at some point had kimbrel talks, but it may have come awhile back. couldnt find a prospect match.

#4 [url]

Apr 5 15 6:05 PM

So, watching this game on mute and am I the only Dodger fan who is actually cheering for the Cardinals, tonight? I just am tired of all the talk that the Cubs are on the cusp of something special. Look, I get they are 0-the last 107 years but there is something really irritating by these Cub fans thinking that they are something special when they haven't done squat on the field. Prospects are just that, prospects and anointing them as the next dynasty before they have done anything seems a bit like putting the cart in front of the horse.

#5 [url]

Apr 5 15 6:07 PM

Speaking of "New Office", I just received a text saying, "The Dodgers solved their outfield logjam by trading their best outfielder for Grandal. The Padres solved their outfield logjam by trading their fourth and fifth outfielders for Kimbrel. Yeah, our front office is amazing!" Just quoting.

Who do you think comes into our home opener on a psychological high tomorrow?

#6 [url]

Apr 5 15 6:12 PM

WildHare wrote:
Speaking of "New Office", I just received a text saying, "The Dodgers solved their outfield logjam by trading their best outfielder for Grandal. The Padres solved their outfield logjam by trading their fourth and fifth outfielders for Kimbrel. Yeah, our front office is amazing!" Just quoting.

I saw the owner of the Padres on CNBC and he made it sound like he thought the biggest coup they had made in all of their moves was getting Kemp.

#7 [url]

Apr 5 15 6:32 PM

WildHare wrote:

But, like Scherzer, is Kimbrel that big an improvement over Benoit?   Benoit was pretty damned good for the Padres last year and while Kimbrel is among the best (if not the best) closers in the game but all that does is give them a slightly better chance of holding the lead in the ninth than Benoit.     Maybe I am just not seeing it but it all sounds the same as when the Nats signed Scherzer.   All it did was give them a marginal improvement (and a higher cost) over the guy he is replacing.     Does it change anything in the hierarchy of the NL West?   Not really.    Maybe Kimbrel gets the Padres that one or two wins to keep them in competition for the Wild Card with the Brewers, Giants, Pirates and Marlins.    They are still the Padres and they still have the same holes in their lineup that they had yesterday.    Too many righty hitters, a lack of speed, piss poor defense and some equally injury prone pitchers as we have.    They have two guys who might be considered horses in Shields and Kennedy but neither are as good as our horses, Kershaw and Greinke.   Their next three could be even more fragile than our next three.     The pen could be the issue but I have to wonder just how good their pen will be in a pennant race.    Aside from Kimbrel and Benoit, none of their relievers dazzle me.    Sure, the same could be said for us but I am liking that Paco, Yimi and Hatcher all stuck and we don't have Ned's 2009 All Star Pen.   

Like I said before, if the Padres don't win it this year, they are going to have some hard decisions this off season.   I think it is safe to say that Upton the Younger doesn't resign with them even though I think the biggest reason they took on Upton the Elder is to give them a leg up on resigning the Younger.    Even though the Padre apologists will run with the line that they only have $75 million on the books for next year but that doesn't include Cashner's probable extension, Ross' probably extension, resigning Kennedy because they no longer have the safety net of Wisler and suddenly this team is up over $100 million and their wiggle room is no longer there and AJ Preller is likely hanging by a thread if Kemp's (fill in the blank) goes.    I am still looking at a team that doesn't get on base well, doesn't run well and doesn't catch the ball well.   Still 81-84 wins and not enough to worry me today or on September 1.   

#8 [url]

Apr 5 15 6:53 PM

Geez, this Soler kid is beyond awful in right. He has played two singles badly and looked like a tank trying to cut off Heyward's double. Wow, Holliday looks bad in left for the Cardinals too. He is looking really slow.

#9 [url]

Apr 5 15 7:10 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
So, watching this game on mute and am I the only Dodger fan who is actually cheering for the Cardinals, tonight? I just am tired of all the talk that the Cubs are on the cusp of something special. Look, I get they are 0-the last 107 years but there is something really irritating by these Cub fans thinking that they are something special when they haven't done squat on the field. Prospects are just that, prospects and anointing them as the next dynasty before they have done anything seems a bit like putting the cart in front of the horse.

Blasphemy!!! The only time a Dodger fan should root for the Cards is vs SF. 

#10 [url]

Apr 5 15 7:13 PM

beefchopper wrote:

WildHare wrote:Speaking of "New Office", I just received a text saying, "The Dodgers solved their outfield logjam by trading their best outfielder for Grandal. The Padres solved their outfield logjam by trading their fourth and fifth outfielders for Kimbrel. Yeah, our front office is amazing!" Just quoting.

I saw the owner of the Padres on CNBC and he made it sound like he thought the biggest coup they had made in all of their moves was getting Kemp.

I fully expect Kemp to have a monster season. All bets are off for the length of his contract, though. 

Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Apr 5 15 7:56 PM

bcmaiden wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

WildHare wrote:Speaking of "New Office", I just received a text saying, "The Dodgers solved their outfield logjam by trading their best outfielder for Grandal. The Padres solved their outfield logjam by trading their fourth and fifth outfielders for Kimbrel. Yeah, our front office is amazing!" Just quoting.

I fully expect Kemp to have a monster season. All bets are off for the length of his contract, though. 
I have the same expectations on both counts.

#12 [url]

Apr 5 15 9:08 PM

Matthew wrote:
@JonHeymanCBS: dodgers at some point had kimbrel talks, but it may have come awhile back. couldnt find a prospect match.
That pretty much ticks me off.

#13 [url]

Apr 5 15 9:49 PM

bcmaiden wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

I got June 12 as the date his hips/ankle/shoulder/mystery part goes.     Chasing balls in right field at Petco is going to put undue strain on some of his weaker body parts and I still go with the idea that frustration is going hit before then when he crushes a ball to right center and it doesn't even get to the warning track at Petco.   Kemp is still good for 150 strikeouts in a full season and his plate discipline is not getting any better.   Given that right center at Petco plays like the Grand Canyon and right center at Dodger Stadium, less so, I can see pitchers working him away all day long like they do with most every righty hitter on the Padres.  

As for the length of that contract, I am betting on winter 2015 as when the Padres start to get very nervous about the contract because no team will take on that deal after Kemp spends any significant time on the DL as I expect he will in '15.    I am almost ready to call the last couple months of 2014 as the outlier and that the remainder of Kemp's career is more like 2010 (if not worse) than 2008-09 (as I see as a potential high mark over the rest of his current contract).   I could be wrong, but Kemp's body is aging faster than he is and asking a guy with bad hips, a bad ankle and poor judgement on defense is a recipe for disaster.  

#14 [url]

Apr 6 15 5:30 AM

monsooner wrote:
Matthew wrote:
That pretty much ticks me off.

Why?  We had no match for the Braves on this deal because we were not going to take on one of the worst contracts in history to crowd an already bad situation in our outfield.    The only way this deal worked was for the Padres to take Upton the Elder and his whole salary.   Their willingness to have two of the worst contracts in the game in their outfield (they owe Kemp and Upton a combined $120 million over the length of their contracts and even with a decent tv deal, they will be hurting down the road).   Plus, Preller has pretty much raped his farm system as he has given up seven of his top eleven prospects and his farm system is now Austin Hedges and little else.  Just think if our front office had made a similar deal - it would be us getting Kimbrel (and his contract), Melvin Upton (owed close to $50 million) for our number one prospect, a teenage power bat and two short term contracts in the $7 - $8 million range per year.    Just for the exercise, I am thinking we would have to send them Urias, Verdugo, Uribe and Guerrero to make this happen.   So, we take on a very bad contract,  create a massive hole at third base with Olivera still sunning himself on the beach in the Dominican for the luxury of having two top flight closers making a combined $20 million per year.   

Just because we have the money doesn't mean we can spend recklessly.   We still have to be fiscally responsible.    Sitting a combined $100 million on the bench in two outfielders is not responsible, dropping $8 million plus on a set up man who is arbitration eligible is not responsible and giving up young controllable players while taking on massive money when you don't need to is foolish to say the least.  Look, I get the initial reactions.   Kimbrel is a nice piece for them but he is still just a closer and his only value is at the end of the game.   While having him does shorten the game for the Padres, he still needs a lead to have any value.    For all of the wonks who are genuflecting at AJ Preller, keep this in mind, you still have to score runs, catch the ball and get to the ninth with a lead.   Like I said last night, the Padres have just addressed a strength and still have the same weaknesses that they had yesterday morning.   Let the Giants worry because this hurts them more than us.   We win this division going away and the Padres only hope is getting one of the wild card bids, so their real competition is the Giants, Pirates, Brewers, Marlins and maybe even the Cubs (but I do not buy into them being anything more than a 75-78 win team).  Let those teams stress over the Padres, they are likely a one year wonder and will be in the same morass they were in prior to this winter, just more expensive.  

#15 [url]

Apr 6 15 7:03 AM

Chris, how can you say Kimbrel is not really much of an upgrade over Benoit? It's not like Benoit is going anywhere. The Putrids just made a huge upgrade to the back end of the bullpen, and the guy you think is near the equal of arguably the top two relievers in all of baseball, just took over the eighth inning duties.

As far as our lack of involvement, what would have been wrong with telling the Braves to pick between two of Ethier, Crawford, SVS, and Guerrero? Throw in a 4-10 prospect and a draft choice. We unload at least one ugly contract and take on another. Then, we could have kept Kemp and had a strong offensive outfield and the two of the best closers in MLB.

#16 [url]

Apr 6 15 7:43 AM

WildHare wrote:
Chris, how can you say Kimbrel is not really much of an upgrade over Benoit? It's not like Benoit is going anywhere. The Putrids just made a huge upgrade to the back end of the bullpen, and the guy you think is near the equal of arguably the top two relievers in all of baseball, just took over the eighth inning duties.

As far as our lack of involvement, what would have been wrong with telling the Braves to pick between two of Ethier, Crawford, SVS, and Guerrero? Throw in a 4-10 prospect and a draft choice. We unload at least one ugly contract and take on another. Then, we could have kept Kemp and had a strong offensive outfield and the two of the best closers in MLB.
But, does adding Kimbrel make their defense, lack of on base options and righty look of their offense any better?   Those were their weaknesses.  Their pen was not a weakness and they were likely among the best pens in the game yesterday morning before they acquired Kimbrel.   I am just saying if you are taking on a really bad contract you would hope to address a significant weakness like defense or a real lead off hitter.    Sure, Kimbrel is a better shot at a lock in the ninth but relievers (even one as good as Kimbrel) can be volatile and they are throwing a lot of money at what wasn't a weakness.  

There was no way Hart would take any of Ethier or Crawford unless we ate all of Upton's contract and most of either of the guys going their way.    As it stands, I would rather have Andre and CC over Upton's no offense.    Again, I don't like the idea of throwing too much money at the pen.   As it stands right now, we have around $15 million in bullpen arms on the DL and if we learned anything from the Ned years, it is a fool's game to spend like crazy on pen arms.    After this season, it is likely we will have minimal money being spent on the pen with the exception of Jansen as it should be.  It is still about fiscal responsibility and in a year, the Padres will be in deep manure with bad contracts with Shields, Kemp and Upton along with weighty extensions likely to Cashner, Ross and Kennedy (as they have to resign him now because they no longer have any young arms at the ready on the farm).   Their defense will still be bad and they will be replacing Upton the Younger's bat with Hunter Renfroe (who does not profile as a power threat at Petco).   While our situation will be even better as we are one year closer to being out from under CC, Andre and League's awful contracts and we will likely miss out on Greinke's downswing and we will have a injection of youth in Seager, Schebler and likely Urias before the end of '16. 

#17 [url]

Apr 6 15 7:47 AM

WildHare wrote:

Kimbrel certainly helps, but the cost was high.  Upton's contract is awful and they gave up a strong pitching prospect.  The Padres have definitely gone to win-now mode.  It's just a lot to expect all of this team to gel so quickly, but we'll see.

#18 [url]

Apr 6 15 7:56 AM

Interesting results of a poll on mlbtraderumors com on which club had the best offseason:

Padres 47.62% (4,492 votes)
Braves 7.08% (668 votes)
White Sox 6.99% (659 votes)
Red Sox 6.14% (579 votes)
Blue Jays 4.79% (452 votes)
Cubs 3.6% (340 votes)
Dodgers 3.48% (328 votes)
Mariners 1.95% (184 votes)
Cardinals 1.76% (166 votes)
Nationals 1.66% (157 votes)
Yankees 1.45% (137 votes)
Mets 1.37% (129 votes)
Marlins 1.32% (125 votes)
Athletics 1.25% (118 votes)
Pirates 1.05% (99 votes)
Phillies 0.98% (92 votes)
Astros 0.95% (90 votes)
Orioles 0.92% (87 votes)
Indians 0.84% (79 votes)
Tigers 0.69% (65 votes)
Royals 0.64% (60 votes)
Angels 0.52% (49 votes)
Reds 0.51% (48 votes)
Rays 0.49% (46 votes)
Brewers 0.47% (44 votes)
Twins 0.42% (40 votes)
Diamondbacks 0.32% (30 votes)
Giants 0.32% (30 votes)
Rangers 0.3% (28 votes)
Rockies 0.12% (13 votes)

Total Votes: 9,434

#19 [url]

Apr 6 15 8:10 AM

There is no way I would have wanted Kimbrel if taking on Upton's full contract was part of the deal, unless they were willing to take Ethier's contract back. If they did that, then I would do it, but I doubt Hart would have any interest in that.

Kimbrel is a dominant closer, but so is Jansen so acquiring Kimbrel would have eventually just caused another logjam at a position.

Personally, I am not sure how much better Kimbrel makes the Padres. Their pen was already strong. It was their overall defense and infield that were the issues.

#20 [url]

Apr 6 15 9:18 AM

Kimbrel certainly makes a short ballgame even shorter in SD. That pen is very, very good. You'd best jump out to a lead prior to the 6th inning because there won't be many comeback victories against them this year.

That said, as Chris mentioned, there was no match for Kimbrel in LA. They got the Padres #1 pitching prospect and SD took on another massive OF contract in the process. There was no way we were giving up Urias OR taking on another ridiculous OF contract. SD certainly gets points for effort here. They are certainly going all out, but it's really the equivalent of a hail-Mary pass. Their future is boned so they better win in 2015. If their pitching stays healthy they have as good a shot as anyone, I suppose, but the offense and defense still has some serious holes in it.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help