Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Apr 6 15 10:26 PM

Fun opening day, all.  Go blue.

On a "mildly amusing but also terrifying" note -- Puig still hasn't learned how to slide.  He basically fell into second base on that "steal."  Alex Guerrero's slides are nearly as cringe-worthy, too.  I'm sure the Dodgers have tried to teach them, so this appears to be a psychological problem.  They need to be donated to science.

Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Apr 7 15 4:05 AM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
I really can't believe that Peter O'Malley cashed out by selling the Dodgers to Rupert Murdoch, thereby sending the franchise into an ownership tailspin only to later lead a team of investors to purchase the Padres and bankroll them in an attempt to topple the Dodgers - the team his family owned for nearly 50 years. What horseshit.
The O'Malleys seemed destined to be hated by some, but will always be loved by those who really knew them.  Walter was reviled in Brooklyn by people who didn't know the Robert Moses story.  Peter's primary goal was to keep the team in Brooklyn but the political scene destroyed his idea to build a new stadium in Brooklyn.  Similarly, Peter spent a million bucks on plans to bring an NFL team to LA, but when he was rebuffed he simply stated, "You can't beat city hall."  When player salaries and expenses skyrocketed, he saw the futility of a family owned business competing with the huge corporations and consortiums.  You can say he should not have sold to Murdoch, but if you are selling your house, you can't ask the new owner to love it the way you did.  When Fox announced they would sell, Peter put a group together but in one of the darkest days in history, lost out to the McCourts in the bidding.

Peter does still have a Dodger connection.  He bought "Historic Dodgertown" in Vero Beach from Indian River County and has converted it into a thriving sports business.  He brought former Dodgers Hideo Nomo and Chan Ho Park into the ownership group.  He retained long time Dodger executive Craig Callan to run the operation.  

You can ask former employees of Dodgertown (and I suspect Dodger Stadium) their opinions of Walter and Peter O'Malley.  Almost unanimously they will praise their leadership and personal warmth.   Most will tell you of their love for the team.

The financial structure of the game has changed tremendously but if Peter had his way, he'd be part owner of the Dodgers.  It just wasn't to be, but it doesn't make him a bad person to have wanted to stay connected to the game.

#43 [url]

Apr 7 15 5:45 AM

If it was impossible for Peter to keep the team in the changing financial climate, how was he able to put together ownership groups to make bids for the Dodgers and Padres? Why not put together that investment group while he was the owner of the Dodgers instead of selling to Rupert, who most everyone knew had ulterior motives?

#44 [url]

Apr 7 15 6:58 AM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
If it was impossible for Peter to keep the team in the changing financial climate, how was he able to put together ownership groups to make bids for the Dodgers and Padres? Why not put together that investment group while he was the owner of the Dodgers instead of selling to Rupert, who most everyone knew had ulterior motives?

If I remember correctly (something I'm less confident of as I get older) Peter O'Malley's sale of the Dodgers was driven in large part by issues related to his personal estate planning and taxes.  It is very possible that while he is nominally an owner of the Padres, that the money invested in the Pads was done through a vehicle like a family limited partnership in which he is the front man or general partner but the actual economic ownership is some others like his family members. It might have been more tax efficient to do it that way.

#45 [url]

Apr 7 15 7:11 AM

Shmolnick's Theory of Baseball Fandom

And now for something completely different.

I have a particularly peculiar theory of baseball fandom. I admit that it's a bit crazy, but it's how I think. Now that the new season has begun, I thought it was time to share my bizarre attitude toward being a baseball fan and more specifically, being a Dodger fan. Here are my personal rules of baseball fandom:

1. I love the Dodgers. ONLY the Dodgers.
  2. All other MLB teams are the enemy, or at least potential enemies of the Dodgers.
  3. I rank all other teams in order of their threat to the Dodgers. More immediate threats are the most hated, and least immediate threats are the least hated.
  4. Based on Number 3 above, all American League teams are at the bottom half of the list, with the exception of the Yankees and Red Sox. 
  5. I hate the Yankees because of their history of beating the Dodgers in the World Series and because as a resident of the NY tri-state area, I never stop hearing about them. 
  6. I hate the Red Sox because ever since they started winning World Series, their fans have become extremely obnoxious. Again, in Connecticut where I live, about half of all baseball fans love the Red Sox. It's Yankees-Red Sox all the time. The Mets are weak so they don't count.
  7. Based on Number 3 above, National League teams are more hated than American League teams, and NL West teams are among the most hated.
  8. Here is my current list of my most hated teams:

Giants - because they're the Giants.
    Cardinals - They finish ahead of the Padres because of obvious reasons.
    Padres - They are a now a huge threat to the Dodgers.
    Washington - They are ranked very highly and so represent a very strong potential playoff threat.
    Yankees and Red Sox - Reasons listed above.
    All other NL West teams.
    All other NL teams.
Crazy, I know, but there it is. If the Dodgers make it to the Series, then their opponent automatically becomes the most hated team for the duration of the series.
I love the Dodgers and baseball, but I truly despise all other teams. I don't watch games with other teams, I don't follow the scores or players of other teams; only the Dodgers.
In my warped old mind, all other teams are the enemies of the Dodgers and therefore, my enemy as well. What happens when a player from a hated team joins the Dodgers? Well, that player suddenly is no longer hated but loved. The reverse is also true. For example, I used to love Matt Kemp but now he is an enemy. I hope he fails.

GO DODGERS!!!

#46 [url]

Apr 7 15 7:52 AM

Shmolnick wrote:

I have a particularly peculiar theory of baseball fandom. I admit that it's a bit crazy, but it's how I think. Now that the new season has begun, I thought it was time to share my bizarre attitude toward being a baseball fan and more specifically, being a Dodger fan. Here are my personal rules of baseball fandom:

2. All other MLB teams are the enemy, or at least potential enemies of the Dodgers.
  3. I rank all other teams in order of their threat to the Dodgers. More immediate threats are the most hated, and least immediate threats are the least hated.
  4. Based on Number 3 above, all American League teams are at the bottom half of the list, with the exception of the Yankees and Red Sox. 
  5. I hate the Yankees because of their history of beating the Dodgers in the World Series and because as a resident of the NY tri-state area, I never stop hearing about them. 
  6. I hate the Red Sox because ever since they started winning World Series, their fans have become extremely obnoxious. Again, in Connecticut where I live, about half of all baseball fans love the Red Sox. It's Yankees-Red Sox all the time. The Mets are weak so they don't count.
  7. Based on Number 3 above, National League teams are more hated than American League teams, and NL West teams are among the most hated.

Washington - They are ranked very highly and so represent a very strong potential playoff threat.
    All other NL West teams.
    All other NL teams.
Crazy, I know, but there it is. If the Dodgers make it to the Series, then their opponent automatically becomes the most hated team for the duration of the series.
I love the Dodgers and baseball, but I truly despise all other teams. I don't watch games with other teams, I don't follow the scores or players of other teams; only the Dodgers.
In my warped old mind, all other teams are the enemies of the Dodgers and therefore, my enemy as well. What happens when a player from a hated team joins the Dodgers? Well, that player suddenly is no longer hated but loved. The reverse is also true. For example, I used to love Matt Kemp but now he is an enemy. I hope he fails.

GO DODGERS!!!

LOL.  My sentiments exactly. When people have asked me if I am a baseball fan I have always responded no, I am a Dodgers fan.

#47 [url]

Apr 7 15 10:41 AM

beefchopper wrote:
Shmolnick wrote:

All other NL West teams.
    All other NL teams.

GO DODGERS!!!

LOL.  My sentiments exactly. When people have asked me if I am a baseball fan I have always responded no, I am a Dodgers fan.

My list would be the same with the exception of placing the phillies below the cardinals and either just above or just under the padres, I really dont like them whether or not they are competing. Also the dbacks hold a special place in the hatred scale so they would probably get placed just below the giants or cardnals

#48 [url]

Apr 7 15 11:25 AM

UCSB07 wrote:

beefchopper wrote:
Shmolnick wrote:And now for something completely different.

• I love the Dodgers. ONLY the Dodgers.
  • All other MLB teams are the enemy, or at least potential enemies of the Dodgers.
  • I rank all other teams in order of their threat to the Dodgers. More immediate threats are the most hated, and least immediate threats are the least hated.
  • Based on Number 3 above, all American League teams are at the bottom half of the list, with the exception of the Yankees and Red Sox. 
  • I hate the Yankees because of their history of beating the Dodgers in the World Series and because as a resident of the NY tri-state area, I never stop hearing about them. 
  • I hate the Red Sox because ever since they started winning World Series, their fans have become extremely obnoxious. Again, in Connecticut where I live, about half of all baseball fans love the Red Sox. It's Yankees-Red Sox all the time. The Mets are weak so they don't count.
  • Based on Number 3 above, National League teams are more hated than American League teams, and NL West teams are among the most hated.
  • Here is my current list of my most hated teams:

All other NL West teams.
    All other NL teams.Crazy, I know, but there it is. If the Dodgers make it to the Series, then their opponent automatically becomes the most hated team for the duration of the series.

GO DODGERS!!!

My list would be the same with the exception of placing the phillies below the cardinals and either just above or just under the padres, I really dont like them whether or not they are competing. Also the dbacks hold a special place in the hatred scale so they would probably get placed just below the giants or cardnals

I've know so many Angel fans who were raging Dodger haters, that I wish I could place them higher on my list, but because of Scioscia's homer off Gooden, I really can't feel any ill will toward him, except for when they're playing the Dodgers.

#49 [url]

Apr 7 15 11:27 AM

Shmolnick wrote:

All other NL West teams.
    All other NL teams.

GO DODGERS!!!

LOVE THIS.

It's not crazy.  It's normal.

My sentiments almost exactly - especially rules #3 and #4.  

My list of most hated:
  1. gnats.  My entire extended family lives in the Central-Northern part of CA, and are ALL gnat fans.  I hate the gnats with all that is within me.
  2. snakes.  I now live in AZ, and the snakes hate the Dodgers more than any other team.  They want to replace the gnats as the #1 heated rival, but of course they never will.  But they try, which makes for many-a-headache when the Dodgers play the snakes because MLB blackout restrictions force me to watch the snakes feed.  It's a miracle I haven't torn my ears out.  Well, actually, their banter is more "funny" than torturous.  It's like someone with a small-man's complex talking about how they're the bigger man.  Much hilarity, really.  But I hate them.
  3. cards. The Cardinal Way sparks nothing but hate in my soul.  The end.
  4. pads. For much the same reason as the snakes.  I'm forced to watch pads feeds.  Mark Grant is a putz.  Dick Enberg is classy, so it's not as bad.
  5. yankees/red sox. Obvious reasons already mentioned by you, Mike.
  6. rockies.  the unlovable losers of the West.
  7. phillies/nationals.  Tie.
  8. All other NL teams
  9. All other AL teams. besides...
  10. the A's.  I kinda like the A's.  Sorry.  But on a fandom scale from 1 to 1,000, the Dodgers are at 1,000 and the A's are at 1.  All other teams begin at -1, with the gnats hitting -1,000.

Last Edited By: monsooner Apr 7 15 11:29 AM. Edited 1 time.

#50 [url]

Apr 7 15 11:28 AM

When people ask me who my second favorite team is, my answer is: "Who's playing the gnats today?"

Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Apr 7 15 2:19 PM

saeldway wrote:

SF could be in trouble but I could just as easily see them trading Susac and maybe Crick for Hamels before long.  Find a way to bundle Utley and they aren't too far off from being the usual Giants.

I'd like to veer though.  It's only one game but there's an energy that didn't seem to be there the last couple of years.  Watching the team today it looked like they did enough to win.  In prior years it seemed like they tried to do just enough not to lose.  Slight difference, but something that more resembles the (gulp) Cardinals of recent years.  

Finally, on Kemp, it was great to see his return, not so great to see him do what he does when he's healthy.  What he does over the life of the contract is anybody's guess.  Again, it's only one game but Pederson did as much today to put his team in position for victory as Matt did for his team.  If the Dodgers can get similar overall production (including defense) from Pederson than they could have out of Kemp while shifting $75,000,000 of liabilities of the books (Hector Olivera $-wise), upgrade catching, and pitching depth/functionality then this FO is smarter than the already overhyped praise they get.

Its going to be 1 exciting season.

I agree with you.  I think last year's team would have kept the game tied until inevitably a relief pitcher came in and gave it up, causing at least a 4-3 loss.  The games won't always turn out like yesterday, but there was definitely a different feel.

#52 [url]

Apr 7 15 2:20 PM

My second favorite team (again 1,000:1 ratio like Kyle) used to be the Texas Rangers. Then, one day years ago when the Dodgers played at Arlington, after a long delay due to a lighting problem where half the lights in the stadium went out, the Dodgers lost. On the way out minding my own business, some drunk Ranger fan, seeing my Dodger jersey yelled at me, and I can still hear the words like it was yesterday. "How did that feel, Dodger fan?" Don't know why, but I just about lost it. Even though the guy was half my age, I just went ballistic. I found out how strong those old polyester jerseys are and how strong (she's wiry) my wife is. Fortunately, my nephew caught up to us and the guy saw him and hauled ass.

So, no second favorites. Pretty much have all the same most hated ones as everyone else.

#55 [url]

Apr 9 15 12:46 AM

I'm surprised to see so much kvetching over the Padres acquisition of Craig Kimbrel. With everyone so thrilled to have a "metrics-based" front office, I would have figured that it'd be a given that the Dodgers would follow Sabremetrics / Moneyball rule #1 when it comes to relief pitching -- not overpaying or overvaluing a closer due to their limited impact on the game overall.

The front office is going to invest their money where it gets the most bang for the buck -- everyday position players and starting pitching. Those are the players who will impact you every day (position players), and for (hopefully) at least six innings per start (starting pitchers). Bench players and the bullpen are where they're going to try to find value by finding underrated, but productive players who contribute at a reasonable salary rate, thereby allowing them to continue investing in the areas that matter most.

Long gone are the days of closers tossing two-inning saves as a regular occurrence. The truth is that it's really not that hard to find bullpen pitchers and only minimally harder to find guys who can close. The Dodgers problem in the past has been a GM scared of young relievers and who could be easily dazzled by past stats even when they were attached to a player clearly on the downside of his career arc.

While the Dodgers are indeed making outrageous money from their TV contract, the ownership is going to want to start getting a better ROI here soon. You don't do that by taking on the bad contracts that the Padres did for a player who, while great, you have no guarantee of getting to on a daily basis. That's what decisions based on "metrics" really look like. They are cold, they are harsh, and they don't care about the glamour of a name if there's poor value once all of the datapoints have been analyzed.

#56 [url]

Apr 9 15 7:33 AM

Does anyone know why last night's Dodgers telecast was not on DirecTV MLB-Extra Innings? The Padres game was, but the Dodgers feed was mysteriously absent. No blackout involved since I'm in TX. Dick Enberg is not bad generally, although he characterized Upton's home run as "a Ruthian clout." (Must have meant the height, not distance. Has Crawford seen that ball, yet?)

#57 [url]

Apr 9 15 8:37 AM

I didn't move to the L.A. area, from the east coast, until '78. I just learned on twitter that there was a Vin Scully TV show in '73. I see on IMDB that there were many celebrities as guests. Do any of you remember this show?

#58 [url]

Apr 9 15 10:33 AM

Just booked tix on Stubhub for my daughter and I for Sunday's game at Chase.  We're doing "church" on Saturday night this weekend - check it out if you wish, I'm pretty excited about it - so it frees me and my girl up to see a game in PHX.  Got seats right at the far end of the Dodgers dugout, 2 rows from the field.  Gonna be a blast!

#59 [url]

Apr 9 15 12:38 PM

"New Office, New Players, New Hope" - The 2015 Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Dodgers and Orioles have made trade. At least two minor leaguers going to BAL. Triple A catcher Brian Ward to LAD, per @masnRoch.

#60 [url]

Apr 9 15 12:39 PM

"New Office, New Players, New Hope" - The 2015 Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread

@Ken_Rosenthal: #Dodgers could be getting one of #Orioles’ available relievers (Matusz, Webb, etc.) but that is my speculation. Exact details not yet known.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help