WildHare wrote:This is a worry. The fact that they will not take your deposit leaves me to believe they will play the "Whoops" card and say they sold the vehicle earmarked for you to someone willing to pay the extra freight. Then it will be a "he said, she said" type of thing regarding the deposit. Some kind of paper trail might be helpful in this matter. Send some e-mails or even a fax or two asking to credit your card for the deposit until they do. It might not change anything, but even the most skeeziest dealer doesn't want it out that he wouldn't take money even if the deal is bad for him. In a court of law, not taking a deposit isn't illegal, just stupid and unethical. But, if this goes upside down, maybe talking to a local TV news about this might be enough for the dealer to avoid some bad publicity. Even with the economy perking up, a car dealer still tries to avoid bad press like the plague.
grabarkewitz wrote:It's crazy. I've contacted about every dealer in the continental U.S. who has a Raptor in stock, and most are asking (demanding) $10K over sticker. Some are holding the line at $5K, so the dealer who agreed to sticker price and sent me the drive out price, has probably fired that salesman. I am sure they will try to weasel out before the vehicle arrives. When the finance manager called me back to reluctantly say that he would sell it at the previously agreed to price, he said he wasn't going to run my credit card through for the deposit. After I thought about that I emailed him back and said to run it through. So far, he hasn't, and I'm expecting some lame excuse like, "Salesman X didn't know this vehicle was being held for you, and sold it to someone else." Haven't heard of car dealers who leave $5K on the table for the sake of integrity.
No, but I know some really vicious litigators in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area who are bloodthirsty. One, I attended law school with and his arguments in torts were epic. If you have something like a e-mail guaranteeing an agreement on price and you have met the conditions set forth in the agreement, you have them by shorthairs or at least in the liberal lands of Washington, New York and California.
Yeah, selling the place in St. Thomas will be a challenge,but as the house is owned by a family trust PO boxed in Charlotte Amalie, I just got make sure my check for the capital gains tax is figured correctly. I am hoping to be done with the place by the first day of summer. Just had a long discussion with the realtor who is handling this and she thinks I am giving the house away, but I bought for at a give away price and it isn't like my retirement is based on maxing out my return. We just have to fly down, clear the place for staging and wait for the bids.
Speaking of vehicles, the middle child is hemming and hawing around needing a new vehicle if she gets the job with Vertical Pharma. She is willing to trade in her prized VW Bug for a Mercedes GLA. We will know on Saturday and if she gets the job and then I will start on the idea of her starting work in late May, so we will have to ship her Bug here even though I will likely be forced by Herself to buy the Mercedes for her before then as a graduation gift and then let her decide what she wants to do with the Bug. At least the girl has good taste. The Mercedes is nice and relatively economical. The maintenance costs will be the issue, but she is getting more responsible in taking care of her car, so maybe this will continue.
Oh, yeah, they are definitely going to renege on the sticker price sale on the Raptor. I've checked every Ford dealer that shows a Raptor on order. They are all spoken for AND at a hefty markup, none less than an additional $5K. Just got an email today from a Houston dealer who said the national average right now for a Raptor is $10K over MSRP. Called my local dealer with whom I am on a waiting list and asked what the price would be relative to sticker price, and the sales dude couldn't give me an answer, and said he would call back. That was yesterday and nothing.
As you mentioned, I have twice emailed the credit manager asking him to process my credit card down payment. Crickets! I still have the offer sheet with the drive out price at MSRP plus tax, title, license, and documentation fee. I also have a VIN, so I can trace any sale of this vehicle, but that won't help with the "whoops" card.