Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 21 15 3:17 PM

Tags : :

I hope it's OK with the mods that I start a thread intended for discussion about Molly Knight's book, "The Best Team Money Can Buy: The Los Angeles Dodgers' Wild Struggle to Build a Baseball Powerhouse."

I got it on Kindle, and it's a GREAT read.  As I read through it, I keep thinking that every single person on the BBWC will LOVE this book.  Currently, I'm at the "Puig" portion. The inside stuff on Kershaw, Grienke, Mattingly, Colletti, Mark Walter, the impact Punto/Schumaker had on the '13 team, Kemp, Ethier... is outstanding.

No spoilers in this thread - but I felt it was a popular enough book to create a thread about it.  Let me know what you all think - and if you haven't gotten it yet, GO GET IT.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 21 15 3:21 PM

The Best Team Money Can Buy

Not a problem, Pastor. In fact, I meant to start this thread during the break, and then I was going to start it, today. Glad to see it up.

I haven't bought the book yet, but I should get to doing that soon. Everything I've heard sounds great. I look forward to reading everyone's take, here.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jul 22 15 7:08 AM

monsooner wrote:
I hope it's OK with the mods that I start a thread intended for discussion about Molly Knight's book, "The Best Team Money Can Buy: The Los Angeles Dodgers' Wild Struggle to Build a Baseball Powerhouse."

I got it on Kindle, and it's a GREAT read.  As I read through it, I keep thinking that every single person on the BBWC will LOVE this book.  Currently, I'm at the "Puig" portion. The inside stuff on Kershaw, Grienke, Mattingly, Colletti, Mark Walter, the impact Punto/Schumaker had on the '13 team, Kemp, Ethier... is outstanding.

No spoilers in this thread - but I felt it was a popular enough book to create a thread about it.  Let me know what you all think - and if you haven't gotten it yet, GO GET IT.
I read it in one sitting and it was better than I expected.    I kind of thought it could've been more in-depth, but then I realize that privacy outweighs my interest.    Molly Knight confirms what I have always felt over Puig, Kemp and Ned.    I am with you, Kyle, every Dodger fan should read this book and forget the (bad) hype.   

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jul 22 15 7:19 AM

To be, or not to be. That is the question. Of which player Molly references. I finished the book last night and my opinions mirror Torgy's. Good book. Wanted more in depth stuff but understand why we didn't get it.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 22 15 1:43 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:

I read it in one sitting and it was better than I expected.    I kind of thought it could've been more in-depth, but then I realize that privacy outweighs my interest.    Molly Knight confirms what I have always felt over Puig, Kemp and Ned.    I am with you, Kyle, every Dodger fan should read this book and forget the (bad) hype.   

Pretty bummed to hear some of the things about Kemp.  He hid that attitude (mostly) from the average not-living-in-LA fan.  Puig as well.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's traded before the break after reading.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 22 15 3:04 PM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:

Pretty bummed to hear some of the things about Kemp.  He hid that attitude (mostly) from the average not-living-in-LA fan.  Puig as well.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's traded before the break after reading.

See, I feel differently about Puig.  I feel sorry for the kid.   Think about it?   He has been given more money than he could ever dream of, he is gladhanding with people who could never have dreamed of even being in the same room with and he has the maturity of a twelve year old.    Add into that the expectations surrounding him are impossible to meet.   Hell, he could be a Marinovich except that he wasn't given a birthright like Harper, Puig just won the genetic crapshoot. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Jul 22 15 11:27 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

See, I feel differently about Puig.  I feel sorry for the kid.   Think about it?   He has been given more money than he could ever dream of, he is gladhanding with people who could never have dreamed of even being in the same room with and he has the maturity of a twelve year old.    Add into that the expectations surrounding him are impossible to meet.   Hell, he could be a Marinovich except that he wasn't given a birthright like Harper, Puig just won the genetic crapshoot. 
I bought into that for a long while.  But the entourage thing sent me over the edge.  The way I see it: He HAS to know his teammates weren't getting the same treatment he was - and he HAS to know his teammates didn't appreciate his 'friends' being in the dugout long after everyone else was cleared out.  Sure, he's immature.  But he's also a dick.  Doesn't sound like he has any friends on the squad anymore.  

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jul 25 15 9:27 AM

Just finished the book. Got a little boring toward the end, because things were so fresh from the 2014 season, I pretty much knew everything I was reading before I read it. Otherwise, a great read.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 12 15 8:15 AM

Spoiler Alert:  Clayton Kershaw is a good guy.  I hope this doesn't ruin it for anyone. smiley: happy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help