Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Oct 17 15 3:06 PM

Ron from ThinkBlueLA.com texted me and said he completely understands everyone's mindset and frustration. He tried to register with yuku, but gave up, telling me that he now knows why we're fed up over here. Anyway, he emailed me and asked that I forward this message to you, which follows in this post. This option is out there guys. And even our non-baseball stuff (spam and mullets thread) is allowed in the "outside the lines" area. Mary, there are a few woman posters over there as well, who would welcome you without a doubt. Also, Ron is completely engaged in the minor league coverage, which I know a lot of you enjoy. A regular at RC Quakes games, often interviewing up and coming minor leaguers for his blog pieces. His message to you follows:

"Hi gang. My name is Ron Cervenka and along with my IT guy Scott Harvey (the real brains behind our operation) run the ThinkBlueLA.com forum and blog site - not to be confused with TrueBlueLA, which I suspect is the site that some of you feel like you are being pushed to the corner at - although I must say that Eric Stephen (the proprietor of TrueBlueLA and arguably the brightest Dodger blogger on the planet) and I are good friends.

Although the ThinkBlueLA forum has roughly 100 members, there are maybe a dozen or so who actively post on the site - and I can absolutely assure you that every one of them would welcome and embrace you guys.

As a point of history, ThinkBlueLA was created back in 2009 for the EXACT reason why many of you are here on BBWC today - to get away from the hostile site that the old ‘Inside the Dodgers’ site became; the daily (if not hourly) profanity-riddled rants to fire Grady Little, fire Jim Tracy and eventually fire Joe Torre and the endless personal attacks against other posters. (I referred to them as groundhogs based on the movie Groundhog Day - it was always the same thing over and over and over again, day after day).

In creating our site, we made it so that every new member was required to register so that we could eliminate the groundhogs, although, to be quite honest, there have been only a couple - presumably because those who did not play well with others or couldn’t deal with our very simple guidelines were banned from the site.

I can absolutely positively assure you that none of our current members will push anyone into a corner regardless of your individual opinions. In fact, it is/are your opinions that make any fan-based forum successful - as each of you well know.

By no means are we trying to "steal" members from anyone, nor are we pounding on our chests claiming to be better than any of the other sites out there. We are simply providing passionate Dodger fans a platform to share their passion with like Dodger fans - that's it. No ulterior motives, no 'we're in it for the money' (which there is none). In fact, our philosophy has always been "It's your forum; it will only be as great as you make it."

Feel free to lurk (at http://www.thinkbluela.com/forum/) and if you are so inclined, feel free to register (and deal with our pain in the ass CAPTCHA thingy). If you like it, fine. If you don't, that's fine too. It will cost you nothing and you can come and go as you please - without any fear of reprisal.

And thanks for the kind words VicenteRomo.

Best,

Ron Cervenka

PS: Go Dodgers!"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

Oct 17 15 3:22 PM

I'm pretty busy right now, but I'll get to all these posts tonight in more detail. The short of it, while I really appreciate the offer, (and I really appreciate it, Vicente, thanks!) I think it's probably best if we stick with having our own forum, for the time being. The members seem to prefer that, as do I, and between our constant banner changes, the mojo, and everything else, we're probably far too neurotic for anything else, as it is! Plus, there might be certain ideas I'm thinking about implementing that might be pretty cool.

However, I just wanted to briefly say that I just saw Ron's application come in (and his very kind message, which Vicente posted above) and approved it. Welcome to the BBWC, Ron, and at the very least, we look forward to you hopefully joining in and offering your take on things when you can. I also took a look at your site for the first time, and it looks great. I look forward to adding that to the list of my daily reading on all things Dodgers. And if you have any advice on the more technical side of things in how you're running your forum, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last Edited By: Matthew Oct 17 15 3:50 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Oct 18 15 8:41 AM

Forum Update: State of The BBWC

DSinSoCal wrote:
I'd prefer keeping our own site rather than being absorbed into someone else's community. However, I wish there was a way to recruit some new regular members. This site has lost a LOT of regulars over the years and hasn't replaced any of them. The tone gets a little monotonous with the same 8 people posting 95% of the notes.

I need to try and be more active in posting.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Oct 18 15 1:21 PM

bcmaiden wrote:
monsooner wrote:
I vote for our own site - not to merge. Not that I don't like ThinkblueLA or Truebluela, but there is a flavor here that can't be found anywhere else.

Would that be the 'cherry licking good horn dog flavor'? 
Not a big horn dog fan.  Sticks to my teeth.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Oct 18 15 1:52 PM

monsooner wrote:

bcmaiden wrote:
monsooner wrote:I vote for our own site - not to merge. Not that I don't like ThinkblueLA or Truebluela, but there is a flavor here that can't be found anywhere else.

The involvement of teeth is never a good idea. 

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Oct 19 15 5:08 AM

Tx Dodger wrote:
DSinSoCal wrote:
I'd prefer keeping our own site rather than being absorbed into someone else's community. However, I wish there was a way to recruit some new regular members. This site has lost a LOT of regulars over the years and hasn't replaced any of them. The tone gets a little monotonous with the same 8 people posting 95% of the notes.

I need to try and be more active in posting.
Same here. I'm on here every day, I don't know why I hardly ever throw in my .02!

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Oct 19 15 8:13 AM

bcmaiden wrote:
monsooner wrote:

bcmaiden wrote:

Evidently that was a walk off :)

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Oct 19 15 10:16 AM

bcmaiden wrote:
monsooner wrote:

bcmaiden wrote:

I was going to make a comment but I thought better of it. Never mind. smiley: eek

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#32 [url]

Oct 19 15 8:48 PM

Tx Dodger wrote:
bcmaiden wrote:
monsooner wrote:

Evidently that was a walk off :)

Yep.  That comment left a bad taste in my mou...... uh... nevermind.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Oct 19 15 11:06 PM

Happy to contribute to the new site, if needed.  Another option - I have a site, myself, but there is no forum at the moment.  It would likely take me a few weeks to do some research, but I could try and set one up.  I could name it the BBWC, too.  That said, I completely understand the desire to have the BBWC's own personal site owned by the community of posters, here.  I, too, came over since the black, icy, dark days of the auld board, and love the intimate community of this board.  I'd like to try and preserve that, if possible, as others have noted.  I fully support the group's decision! 

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Oct 20 15 4:03 PM

I'll get to the above replies, but real quick: one option you might have heard me talking about for a little while is Xenforo. It's probably one of the most, if not the most, modern and streamlined forum provider out there, with all the bells and whistles (including Kyle's oft-requested Like button). Anyways, they let you try out a three day demo, so I quickly created this demo forum over there to give an idea how it could look:

http://c31b8eb3f1f64285.demo-xenforo.com/150/index.php

I'd ask you guys not to type in the username and password to get on, as I'm still testing some stuff. But I wanted to link it just to give you an idea of what Xenforo is like. Of course, there's tons of skins and templates available to really do a drastic re-design, if you wanted to, but in terms of the basic functionality, you get an idea. There's a lot more to it, though.  I'm not saying that's where we'll land, but it's an option.

One main goal I've had for whichever new forum we land at is responsive design, which means that the forum looks great, and is accessible, regardless of which device you're on. For instance, if you're viewing the site from your phone, you won't be re-directed to some awful mobile version of the site, nor will you have incredibly tiny text. The experience will be consistent, and as accessible as it would be from your computer. To see it for yourself, you can click on that link from your mobile devices to see what I mean. The site will only be up until 10-23-15, due to it being a three day demo, so get on it while you can.

If there's any features or screen captures of things you want to see on there, let me know and I'll try to re-create them.

Last Edited By: Matthew Oct 20 15 4:11 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Oct 20 15 5:36 PM

Matthew wrote:
I'll get to the above replies, but real quick: one option you might have heard me talking about for a little while is Xenforo. It's probably one of the most, if not the most, modern and streamlined forum provider out there, with all the bells and whistles (including Kyle's oft-requested Like button). Anyways, they let you try out a three day demo, so I quickly created this demo forum over there to give an idea how it could look:

I'd ask you guys not to type in the username and password to get on, as I'm still testing some stuff. But I wanted to link it just to give you an idea of what Xenforo is like. Of course, there's tons of skins and templates available to really do a drastic re-design, if you wanted to, but in terms of the basic functionality, you get an idea. There's a lot more to it, though.  I'm not saying that's where we'll land, but it's an option.

One main goal I've had for whichever new forum we land at is responsive design, which means that the forum looks great, and is accessible, regardless of which device you're on. For instance, if you're viewing the site from your phone, you won't be re-directed to some awful mobile version of the site, nor will you have incredibly tiny text. The experience will be consistent, and as accessible as it would be from your computer. To see it for yourself, you can click on that link from your mobile devices to see what I mean. The site will only be up until 10-23-15, due to it being a three day demo, so get on it while you can.

If there's any features or screen captures of things you want to see on there, let me know and I'll try to re-create them.
Sure looks good to me (other than the color scheme which of course can be changed).  Maybe you should get rid of the baseball stuff and make it an all Kate Upton Forum.  That section looks mighty good.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Oct 20 15 5:45 PM

Matthew wrote:

Agree w/Beef about the color which is way too washed out. My favorite is this hilarious one from the game thread:
James Taylor butchered the National Anthem.

I HATE YOU, DONNY!!

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Oct 20 15 6:37 PM

Matthew wrote:

Looks like a perfect home for us! You had me at "no wall of quotes"! Damn that's one of my biggest gripes when reading here on my phone.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Oct 20 15 6:56 PM

Matthew wrote:

Site has my stamp of approval

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Oct 20 15 10:18 PM

Looks great to me, Matthew. How stable is Xenforo? That was/is my biggest gripe with Yuku, it keeps crashing on us.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help