Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Oct 21 15 6:55 AM

Matthew wrote:
I'll get to the above replies, but real quick: one option you might have heard me talking about for a little while is Xenforo. It's probably one of the most, if not the most, modern and streamlined forum provider out there, with all the bells and whistles (including Kyle's oft-requested Like button). Anyways, they let you try out a three day demo, so I quickly created this demo forum over there to give an idea how it could look:

http://c31b8eb3f1f64285.demo-xenforo.com/150/index.php

I'd ask you guys not to type in the username and password to get on, as I'm still testing some stuff. But I wanted to link it just to give you an idea of what Xenforo is like. Of course, there's tons of skins and templates available to really do a drastic re-design, if you wanted to, but in terms of the basic functionality, you get an idea. There's a lot more to it, though.  I'm not saying that's where we'll land, but it's an option.

One main goal I've had for whichever new forum we land at is responsive design, which means that the forum looks great, and is accessible, regardless of which device you're on. For instance, if you're viewing the site from your phone, you won't be re-directed to some awful mobile version of the site, nor will you have incredibly tiny text. The experience will be consistent, and as accessible as it would be from your computer. To see it for yourself, you can click on that link from your mobile devices to see what I mean. The site will only be up until 10-23-15, due to it being a three day demo, so get on it while you can.

If there's any features or screen captures of things you want to see on there, let me know and I'll try to re-create them.

Splendid!   Although the last few posts in Latin threw me a bit.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Oct 21 15 9:27 AM

Matthew wrote:
I'd ask you guys not to type in the username and password to get on, as I'm still testing some stuff. .....
Whoops.  I didn't read past the link.  'Cuz I'm quick like that.  

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Oct 21 15 3:20 PM

Thanks, guys!

beefchopper wrote:

Sure looks good to me (other than the color scheme which of course can be changed).  Maybe you should get rid of the baseball stuff and make it an all Kate Upton Forum.  That section looks mighty good.

After the last three playoff exits, that idea is increasingly enticing.

Just changed the template, and fiddled around more with the color scheme.  The primary blue on this one is identical with the blue on Dodgers uniforms.  Mostly just playing around, but I like this template better.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Oct 21 15 6:16 PM

That template is much nicer. IMHO some of the type on the main page such as the list under "new posts" is a little hard to read because it is too light to stand out against the white background. The other pages are easy to read.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Oct 22 15 7:47 AM

Shmolnick wrote:
When can we non-mods start using the the new board? Yuku is just out of control bad.
I am playing on the demo and it is so much cleaner and quicker than Yuku.   I am ready, F' Yuku!

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Oct 22 15 9:12 AM

I have a simulation baseball league that relies on Yuku as well. These last two failures are coming at very inopportune times. And when they come during live drafts and the like, it's more than frustrating.

Matthew, I'd love to rely on your expertise to tell me about your experience with Xenforo as you set this thing up.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Oct 22 15 12:27 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Shmolnick wrote:
When can we non-mods start using the the new board? Yuku is just out of control bad.
I am playing on the demo and it is so much cleaner and quicker than Yuku.   I am ready, F' Yuku!

I say F you YUKU, I do it myself!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Oct 22 15 1:26 PM

monsooner wrote:
I have a simulation baseball league that relies on Yuku as well. These last two failures are coming at very inopportune times. And when they come during live drafts and the like, it's more than frustrating.

Matthew, I'd love to rely on your expertise to tell me about your experience with Xenforo as you set this thing up.

Well, that's the funny thing: I'm kind of learning on the spot here, right now, myself.  The most knowledge I have of running forums pretty much goes no further than here.  I've just been used to being the lowly moderator who posts different banners.  Generally, all the forums we've dealt with were kind of "built in" in the sense that all we had to do was just run the basic administrative stuff, while people like Doc, or companies like Yuku, handled the back end for us.

See, XenForo, like Vanilla in the past, is just forum software.  Very good forum software, but you still need to find a host, and domain.  Also, finding a good host is at least as important as the forum.  If you pick a bad host, well, it could be another Yuku.  If you remember, Vanilla had its share of outages, as well.

So this leaves us in a funny spot that I've been trying to think through, and one I wasn't expecting to think through this fast.  Technically, we could just say, fine, we don't have the technical experience to play Doc, screw it, let's just find another free forum. The plus side, unless they pull a Yuku and charge a fee to remove ads, it's free, and there's no back end work to do.  The down side, it's free, and you could be at the mercy of another Yuku and go through what we have been going through the past two weeks.  You also don't have much control over a lot of things.  

Take Tapatalk: it's the most popular app to access forums from on a mobile device, and around last year, Yuku forums were able to be added to it.  Of course, from the way quotes were displayed, to a few things, all Yuku forums were totally botched on it.  Why?  Because Yuku never updated the Tapatalk plugin that was needed to make it work properly.  When trying to contact Yuku about it, they basically responded as if I were speaking Jim Tracy, and referred me to their own POS app that hasn't been updated since approximately 1992.  Contrast this with a place like XenForo (not necessarily them specifically), and I can just install the plug in myself.  Done.  There's other things you get to do that's nice when you're on your own: remember when Doc was able to create that PickleViewer thing on Vanilla, that had a scoring update on the home page?  We could have fun with that, as well.  For instance, I'd love to find a way to automate all of us having to constantly post things from Twitter, when breaking news happens.  It'd be nice to have, say, a Twitter widget of the worthy feeds doing it for us, and we can just get to discussion.  That's probably a lot tougher, if not impossible, to do that on, say, a Yuku.

So the nice thing about that is that the forum people get to focus on making the best forum software, and the server/host people get to focus on doing their job well.  Also, if the hosting people do get terrible, you just have to change hosts, instead of uproot everyone to another forum.  But, of course, there's a cost to that.  A single XenForo license, for instance, is $140. (I'd imagine other companies would be similar.)  It's lifetime, which is nice, (and they have other things you can buy, like having people install the software for you) but then you have to factor in monthly hosting/domain costs, as well.  And then after that, does anyone actually know how to install the stuff and maintain it?  For instance, what if we did have to change hosts?  I know, at least right now, I wouldn't know how to do it.

Ultimately, I guess, this is one large non-answer, because I'm still learning myself, right now.  I don't pretend to be an expert, and if I'm missing anything here, please correct me.  In a dream world, sure, let's go get the leanest, meanest forum software that's built upon great foundation that will last us for years and we don't have to re-visit moving every 2-3 years.  But unfortunately, there are things to consider, and I'm trying to work through them.  I feel everyone's pain here right now on Yuku; trust me, I'm just as pissed off.  But I do want to make sure whatever we do, it's the right move, particularly over the long-term.

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Oct 22 15 1:31 PM

Shmolnick wrote:

It was mostly just me playing around to get a feel for XenForo to see how it is, as I weigh options.  Unfortunately, the current test forum will self-destruct tomorrow because it's a three day demo, but if you guys want to try it again, I'll start a new three day demo once that expires and put the link up for it.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Oct 22 15 1:36 PM

Shmolnick wrote:
I'm totally willing to pitch in dollars to pay for a XenForo license and hosting fees, if any. We need to get off this sinking Yuku ship.

So, this is what I was going to ask you, in relation to your first post.  I know you have a site of your own, as you were saying.  Do you have any idea about which hosts are the good ones, particularly for a forum our size?

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Oct 22 15 1:48 PM

Matthew wrote:

Shmolnick wrote:

It was mostly just me playing around to get a feel for XenForo to see how it is, as I weigh options.  Unfortunately, the current test forum will self-destruct tomorrow because it's a three day demo, but if you guys want to try it again, I'll start a new three day demo once that expires and put the link up for it.

Although I should say: if you guys want to try it out right now, you're more than welcome to do that as well, but this particular demo expires tomorrow.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Oct 22 15 3:14 PM

Matthew wrote:
Shmolnick wrote:
I'm totally willing to pitch in dollars to pay for a XenForo license and hosting fees, if any. We need to get off this sinking Yuku ship.

So, this is what I was going to ask you, in relation to your first post.  I know you have a site of your own, as you were saying.  Do you have any idea about which hosts are the good ones, particularly for a forum our size?

I use Godaddy. They are very popular and I have never had any issues with them in the several years I've had websites. They have a variety of hosting plans. Some people complain about them, but what I would do if I were you is to research hosting companies. Google "web host reviews" or "best web hosting for forums" or some similar phrases and compare what people are saying. I just did a quick google search and came up with this sampling of results:

https://webhostinggeeks.com/bestforumhosting.html - they think Fatcow is the best for forums. I've heard of them before. However, if you read the comments in the actual review, they sound terrible.
http://www.whoishostingthis.com/hosting-reviews/ - this looks like a good review site - lots of comments about the different web hosts available.

This site has a top ten list of hosting companies. Worth a look.

You might also want to ask some of the other Dodger sites who they use for their hosting. Couldn't hurt.

You can also google "best web hosting for xenforo" - lots of results, although many of them are at least a year old.

The thing to watch out for when researching is this - there are so many hosting companies out there that every person has a different favorite, and everyone has a horror story about some hosting company or another. As I wrote above, I've used Godaddy for years without serious incident but I know people who have had issues with maintaining multiple Wordpress sites with them.

Best thing to do is ask other people with web sites who they use. Recommendations from people you know (or don't know but trust their opinion) are usually the best bet.

Also, if you pick a hosting company and you don't like them for whatever reason (for example, poor customer service, lots of down time, etc), you can always switch to another one. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of them out there.

Let me know if you need any help doing the research. 

Last Edited By: Shmolnick Oct 22 15 3:18 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Oct 22 15 3:16 PM

Matthew wrote:
monsooner wrote:

Well, that's the funny thing: I'm kind of learning on the spot here, right now, myself.  The most knowledge I have of running forums pretty much goes no further than here.  I've just been used to being the lowly moderator who posts different banners.  Generally, all the forums we've dealt with were kind of "built in" in the sense that all we had to do was just run the basic administrative stuff, while people like Doc, or companies like Yuku, handled the back end for us.

See, XenForo, like Vanilla in the past, is just forum software.  Very good forum software, but you still need to find a host, and domain.  Also, finding a good host is at least as important as the forum.  If you pick a bad host, well, it could be another Yuku.  If you remember, Vanilla had its share of outages, as well.

So this leaves us in a funny spot that I've been trying to think through, and one I wasn't expecting to think through this fast.  Technically, we could just say, fine, we don't have the technical experience to play Doc, screw it, let's just find another free forum. The plus side, unless they pull a Yuku and charge a fee to remove ads, it's free, and there's no back end work to do.  The down side, it's free, and you could be at the mercy of another Yuku and go through what we have been going through the past two weeks.  You also don't have much control over a lot of things.  

Take Tapatalk: it's the most popular app to access forums from on a mobile device, and around last year, Yuku forums were able to be added to it.  Of course, from the way quotes were displayed, to a few things, all Yuku forums were totally botched on it.  Why?  Because Yuku never updated the Tapatalk plugin that was needed to make it work properly.  When trying to contact Yuku about it, they basically responded as if I were speaking Jim Tracy, and referred me to their own POS app that hasn't been updated since approximately 1992.  Contrast this with a place like XenForo (not necessarily them specifically), and I can just install the plug in myself.  Done.  There's other things you get to do that's nice when you're on your own: remember when Doc was able to create that PickleViewer thing on Vanilla, that had a scoring update on the home page?  We could have fun with that, as well.  For instance, I'd love to find a way to automate all of us having to constantly post things from Twitter, when breaking news happens.  It'd be nice to have, say, a Twitter widget of the worthy feeds doing it for us, and we can just get to discussion.  That's probably a lot tougher, if not impossible, to do that on, say, a Yuku.

So the nice thing about that is that the forum people get to focus on making the best forum software, and the server/host people get to focus on doing their job well.  Also, if the hosting people do get terrible, you just have to change hosts, instead of uproot everyone to another forum.  But, of course, there's a cost to that.  A single XenForo license, for instance, is $140. (I'd imagine other companies would be similar.)  It's lifetime, which is nice, (and they have other things you can buy, like having people install the software for you) but then you have to factor in monthly hosting/domain costs, as well.  And then after that, does anyone actually know how to install the stuff and maintain it?  For instance, what if we did have to change hosts?  I know, at least right now, I wouldn't know how to do it.

Ultimately, I guess, this is one large non-answer, because I'm still learning myself, right now.  I don't pretend to be an expert, and if I'm missing anything here, please correct me.  In a dream world, sure, let's go get the leanest, meanest forum software that's built upon great foundation that will last us for years and we don't have to re-visit moving every 2-3 years.  But unfortunately, there are things to consider, and I'm trying to work through them.  I feel everyone's pain here right now on Yuku; trust me, I'm just as pissed off.  But I do want to make sure whatever we do, it's the right move, particularly over the long-term.
Matthew, you rock.  Thanks for all the hours you've obviously put in already.  All you sentiments lead me to do one thing first, before I go looking for other forum options for my baseball league: ask one of the other 15 owners of one of our SIM teams if they have any experience in such things.  I have a feeling one or two of the guys do, based on their stated professions.  If I get a bite from one of those guys, I'll ask him to find our new home.  And if he does, and it's good, I'll keep you posted.  

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Oct 22 15 3:57 PM

Matthew, I already got a response. One of the guys wrote:

"I can have a complete robust (yet simple) forum up and running by Monday. We could work on URL redirects so that (posts from this board - Yuku) is involved."

I'll keep you posted. Maybe this guy can do something for us. We might want to consider paying him something, of course.

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Oct 22 15 4:25 PM

monsooner wrote:

"I can have a complete robust (yet simple) forum up and running by Monday. We could work on URL redirects so that (posts from this board - Yuku) is involved."

I'll keep you posted. Maybe this guy can do something for us. We might want to consider paying him something, of course.

Fantastic!

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Oct 22 15 5:00 PM

beefchopper wrote:
monsooner wrote:

Fantastic!
To be clear, this offer is for my simulation league (also hosted on Yuku).  His offer is not for the BBWC.  But if it looks good, I'll ask him if what he does for the sim league can be done for the BBWC, and we'll go from there.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help