Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 15 15 8:18 PM

Tags : :

Why waste anymore time.    This team needs a major overhaul to change the attitude.  Too many players were just happy cashing a check and too many at bats were mailed in.   For a change, the pitching looks to be set save a 3/4 to slot with Ryu and Wood.    The pen looks strong going into '16 even if we let Nicasio go (as I think is the plan given that he was kept off of the playoff roster).  The infield is set up the middle with Seager and Peraza and the outfield should be Puig and Pederson (they get one more season to figure it out) in right and center and Yas and Barnes best be the catchers - paying AJ Ellis over $5 million to be a once a week catcher is a waste of money and space.  

After that, Friedman needs to lose AGon.    It is all about the money here.   If AGon was making $12 - $14 million then he is worth it, but he is no longer the threat at the dish who warrants $20 plus million per.   Crawford just needs to be gone.   I can't complain about the effort, but he is an injury waiting to happen and even if we have to eat 75% of the contract it is a deal that needs to be done.   I would love to keep Ethier, but I don't see enough at bats with Ruggiano and Schebler on board.   Right now, Ethier has some value and we might get some salary relief if we move him.   I see no reason to keep SVS, Ellis, Utley or Heisey.   Kike is a fit, but after thinking about it, lately, making him a starter seems like a bad idea.   He is a better fit as a platoon option with Pederson and getting some at bats at second and third.   First two moves should be inking Turner  (and move him to first where his knee issues should be lessened and use him as a bridge to Bellinger) to an two year extension with an option for a third and making Greinke not even consider any other franchise.  Give him his five years and $27 million, it is money well spent.  

My dream moves would be inking David Price (sure, dropping another $25 - $28 million on an arm would seem reckless, but a 1-5 of Kershaw, Greinke, Price, Ryu and Wood would be frightening).  Make a blockbuster with either the Jays (Urias and Holmes for Donaldson might be enough to make it happen and with Mitch Nay being close in Toronto, it might be a move both teams would welcome) or see if the Reds are serious about moving Todd Frazier before he asks for Votto money.    It would be nice to see what it would take to get Arenado, but I have to think that the Rockies don't trade him in their own division   If price for Price is too spendy, maybe take a run at Zimmermann (and the cost of the draft pick) or take the bigger risk on Cueto's balky shoulder.   Both moves are full of buckshot and would scare me.   I just hope we don't go for lesser arms like Samardjiza, Kazmir or Leake.   Now, if John Lackey is listening, we could do worse.   But, I doubt he leaves St. Louis unless Mozeliak way overpays Hayward and tries to upgrade his rotation with younger arms.  

Clear out the coaching staff save Roenicke, Chuck Crim and Rick Honeycutt.   I gotta think Kapler is the odds-on favorite to be the next Dodger manager, but if we look outside the organization, I hope we have taken note of the work Torey Lovullo did in Boston when Farrell was out and I still dream of the day that Brett Butler manages the Blue, but I think he is too old school for this front office.  Lastly, lose Conte.  There is a reason that this team used so many players and it was because too many of our stars were hurt and never got better under Conte.  

Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Oct 15 15 8:09 PM

I agree big moves need to be made. I see absolutely no scenario where they trade any of their big arms like Urias or Deleon for a bat. It's not in the DNA of the FO. They want to lower the payroll and one of those kids is going to pitch sooner than later. If they did, I would hope it would be for a guy like Stanton and give away Puig in the deal. Would the Nationals deal Harper? He isn't going to sign there when his time comes and the rumors of him being a Dodger are only going to get louder the closer he gets to a new contract. He is weird in that he doesn't care what anyone thinks and will leave if it suits him. They won't keep Grienke for that fat contract at 32. I think they would do it if he were 27 or 28 but those extra years for him should kill that type of deal.

Our problem with Price is that he is a LH. We can't have a lopsided rotation. We need a good RH to offset Kershaw, Ryu and Wood. I have no real confidence in McCarthy. They will be hating that deal for the next few years. Cueto is the more logical replacement for Grienke. We can easily outbid KC for Cueto and I'm not sure they will even bid high for him since he struggled since being traded there.

I think Either is gone and they will give him away if they have to. He played the good solider this year but he will want to play and he won't be ok with anything less than a starting job even if it's on a subpar team. He has earned that right to go somewhere else. SVS is garbage, Ellis is a waste of money, Utley sucks and Heisey is crap. Kike is a nice player but he is a bench player, not a starter on a team that is a WS candidate. Pederson is a shit or get off the pot type of player next year. We don't need another Dave Kingman type of swinger especially when he had massive ceiling expectations. I think he has million dollar talent but a 10 cent head and gets down on himself too easily. Maybe he grows up in the offseason but he is nothing more than a liability right now.

Next year, if they don't move him is do or die for Puig. He either recaptures his magic or they sell for pennies on the dollar and move on. Part of me wonders if Schebler could have something if given a legit shot to play everyday but they won't take that gamble.

The mustard came off the hot dog a bit with regards to the FO and their late trades.  Johnson was supposed to be a key piece and when you have to leave him off the roster that is telling.  The same with Latos joke of a trade.   Wood is perplexing.  I think he has some solid talent but he has to get consistent.  Peraza is legit.  

As much as I like Kendrick, if he ends up being a one-year rental, we may wonder if Heaney was the best part of that deal because he settled in pretty good for the Angels.

Last Edited By: NewportDodger Oct 15 15 8:40 PM. Edited 1 time.

#4 [url]

Oct 15 15 8:24 PM

ocmike24 wrote:
I dunno, Torg, outside of pitching that looks like a really, really, really bad team.

Maybe, we are too right handed with Puig, Turner and if we get Donaldson. but we have a strong top of the lineup (if they are ready) in Peraza and Seager.    I just hope that Yasmani's shoulder is fixable and we get a full season of the May-June Grandal and not the guy who couldn't hit sand on the beach after the break.    The bench should be okay with Kike, Barnes, Ruggiano/Schebler (whoever is sitting) to start with.  Pederson and Puig are the linchpins here.   Pederson needs to spend the off-season working on shortening up with two strikes and trying to use the whole field.   We all know what Puig can do, but he needs to have all distractions removed.    Now, if we can somehow swing Stanton - gotta think that the cost would be Puig, Urias and one more very inexpensive piece like Holmes, DeLeon or Farmer then we don't need Donaldson and could likely suffer AGon for one more year while waiting for Bellinger.   If we decide to eat the whole contract on Stanton, the cost might not be as prohibitive.  

While I don't buy into there being a great offensive guru who can change a team's approach at the plate, I think a change needs to be made.   I don't know who fixed Justin Turner, but I would think he would be the person to look into.   Also, finding someone who can improve our running game (although losing basecloggers like AGon, Ellis, etc..... would help).   We became way too station to station and our lack of speed was a punchline throughout the season.    If Puig sticks, time to spend the off-season working on his baserunning along with Pederson (our lack of stolen bases was a joke).  

#6 [url]

Oct 15 15 8:47 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
I agree big moves need to be made. I see absolutely no scenario where they trade any of their big arms like Urias or Deleon for a bat. It's not in the DNA of the FO. They want to lower the payroll and one of those kids is going to pitch sooner than later. If they did, I would hope it would be for a guy like Stanton and give away Puig in the deal. Would the Nationals deal Harper? He isn't going to sign there when his time comes and the rumors of him being a Dodger are only going to get louder the closer he gets to a new contract. He is weird in that he doesn't care what anyone thinks and will leave if it suits him. They won't keep Grienke for that fat contract at 32. I think they would do it if he were 27 or 28 but those extra years for him should kill that type of deal.

Our problem with Price is that he is a LH. We can't have a lopsided rotation. We need a good RH to offset Kershaw, Ryu and Wood. I have no real confidence in McCarthy. They will be hating that deal for the next few years. Cueto is the more logical replacement for Grienke. We can easily outbid KC for Cueto and I'm not sure they will even bid high for him since he struggled since being traded there.

I think Either is gone and they will give him away if they have to. He played the good solider this year but he will want to play and he won't be ok with anything less than a starting job even if it's on a subpar team. He has earned that right to go somewhere else. SVS is garbage, Ellis is a waste of money, Utley sucks and Heisey is crap. Kike is a nice player but he is a bench player, not a starter on a team that is a WS candidate. Pederson is a shit or get off the pot type of player next year. We don't need another Dave Kingman type of swinger especially when he had massive ceiling expectations. I think he has million dollar talent but a 10 cent head and gets down on himself too easily. Maybe he grows up in the offseason but he is nothing more than a liability right now.

Next year, if they don't move him is do or die for Puig. He either recaptures his magic or they sell for pennies on the dollar and move on. Part of me wonders if Schebler could have something if given a legit shot to play everyday but they won't take that gamble.

The mustard came off the hot dog a bit with regards to the FO and their late trades.  Johnson was supposed to be a key piece and when you have to leave him off the roster that is telling.  The same with Latos joke of a trade.   Wood is perplexing.  I think he has some solid talent but he has to get consistent.  Peraza is legit.  

As much as I like Kendrick, if he ends up being a one-year rental, we may wonder if Heaney was the best part of that deal because he settled in pretty good for the Angels.
See, I am still not entirely sold on Heaney being that big of a loss.   If we can parlay Kendrick into a draft pick then it is all good.    I can understand keeping Urias and DeLeon around, but if we need to move one to improve the offense, I am good with that.   TINSTAAP is still a thing and whiie I love DeLeon, Holmes and Urias, pitching is not a huge need for this franchise.    If some team will overpay for an arm with a quality bat, then I am good.   I like Schebler also, but I think his initial time will be as a platoon piece in left with Ruggiano and they might just be placeholders for Alex Verdugo.  

Regarding Greinke, I am less worried about his age 37 year than I am with any other pitcher and that includes Kershaw.   I think Greinke is this generations Greg Maddux and will pitch well as long as he wants.   I am not worried about being too left handed as Kershaw, Price and Ryu have always had good numbers versus righties as well as lefties.    Cueto scares me because of the getting louder rumor that his shoulder and elbow are not long for this world.    The only thing that keeps Price out of a Dodger uniform is if Zaidi or Friedman can get a young arm on the trade market who doesn't cost us too much, kind of like getting Alex Wood for Hector Olivera.   Would not mind seeing what it would take for the Rays to move one of their arms not named Archer (no way they move him).  

#7 [url]

Oct 15 15 8:47 PM

I'm ready to make the Puig move, while he still has mystery in his value. Bet we could get some bullpen talent for him. We proved we can win without him.

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

#8 [url]

Oct 15 15 8:49 PM

ocmike24 wrote:
At this point, I'm not a big fan of "ifs".

Well, until December, if's are all we have.  Firing Mattingdork and some of his staff would cheer me up nicely, but after that it is one long hurry up and wait. 

#9 [url]

Oct 15 15 8:56 PM

bigblaster wrote:
I'm ready to make the Puig move, while he still has mystery in his value. Bet we could get some bullpen talent for him. We proved we can win without him.

Completely agreed, Greg.  Right now, I would bet Puig begins 2016 with another team.

#10 [url]

Oct 15 15 9:05 PM

bigblaster wrote:

But they didn't win.  Anything.

Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Oct 15 15 9:08 PM

ocmike24 wrote:

bigblaster wrote:I'm ready to make the Puig move, while he still has mystery in his value. Bet we could get some bullpen talent for him. We proved we can win without him.

Exactly! Home field couldn't even make a difference. 

#12 [url]

Oct 16 15 1:11 AM

Well, to be fair, we all knew the 2015 Dodgers weren't good enough to last very long in the playoffs. So that's that.

My short list of Things to Do This Offseason:
1. Fire Mattingly. He's shown that he doesn't have what it takes to motivate his teams to play hard enough to get to the next level. See ya.
2. Re-sign Greinke. This is a no-brainer. He was arguably the most valuable Dodger this season. Without him, our starting pitching sucks.
3. Get rid of the dead weight in the lineup, whatever it costs. Agon, Crawford, Ellis (but only if Grandal's shoulder is 100%), Ethier, SVS, and maybe Puig. All of that should be able to net us something of value, even if the Guggies have to eat some money.
4. Get at least one young power hitter to bat cleanup. Whatever it costs.
5. And for god's sake, get rid of Stan Conte and his crew.

#13 [url]

Oct 16 15 5:14 AM

Someone jokingly mentioned Mattingly being traded to Miami since their ownership or GM apparently has an enormous boner for him. Joking or not, that's not a bad idea, nor is it a bad idea to look at bundling Mattingly with Puig and a handful of mid-level prospects for Giancarlo Stanton.

The Fish are obviously in rebuilding mode again. They'd get the media savvy manager that they crave in Mattingly. I don't know why they want him. Maybe because they think that it'd cause New York transplants to come to games? Who knows. Whatever the reason, they can have him.

Puig cuts down on the need to give Miami prime prospects. He is cost-controlled at half the cost of Stanton during the three remaining years of his contract ($24.642M v. $48.5M), and it'll only get worse in terms of cost fof the Marlins as the bulk of Stanton's contract kicks in. Miami can market Puig heavily toward the Cuban community (who apparently don't go to baseball games). Puig will get into tons of lifestyle trouble in Miami, but he'd be their problem and once he's out the Dodgers' door I could care less what he does. They can have him and all of his maddeningly frustrating "potential".

Stanton has an opt-out in his contract, but it doesn't happen until after the 2020 season. So the Dodgers would have Stanton for his age 26-30 seasons.

Considering the amount of money the Dodgers would be eating, and the fact that Puig is definitely MLB "ready" and a marketable star (not some nobody with zero marketing potential), the Dodgers should be able to deny Miami any of their top prospects and deal from the next level down.

I'd call it a pipedream, but Puig as the centerpiece of anything that gets Stanton is actually more doable than you think.

#14 [url]

Oct 16 15 5:27 AM

On a more grand scale for the Dodgers, I'd like to see any roster changes be made with the idea of improving the baseball intelligence of the team.

One of the things that stood out the most about the Dodgers in the five games against the Mets was just how absolutely brain-dead they are as a collective whole. Soooo many at-bats just given away without a thought of what needs to be done considering the game situation. The litany of men left on base as guys came up and took weak swings at pitches that they never had a chance of hitting for even a sacrifice fly on the first or second pitch. They failed to make starters nor he Mets bullpen work hard.

He might not have had a hit during the series, but Joc Pederson had some of the best at-bats for the team in drawing 7 and 8 pitch walks during game 5. After that, I can't recall many quality at-bats. One of the best ones was by Clayton Kershaw in game 4. It's pretty sad when one of your pitchers is having better quality at bats than the other players in the lineup.

This also goes back to Utley's slide in game 2. He is the only member of the Dodgers who I think recognized the situation and played it accordingly. I don't think anyone else would have went in that hard because they'd have just been going through the motions.

This Dodgers team might be worst I've seen in ages in terms of collective baseball IQ. It just doesn't exist. Part of that is on the players. But another part of that is on the organization. Situational awareness is something that should have been drilled into them as they progressed through the minors. At the Major League level it is something that should have been addressed before the start of the series from Mattingly on a grand overview basis, to McGwire for specific situational hitting talks before games, to Davey Lopes reminding guys about the need to be more aware than normal with regard to all baserunning situations.

I would like to think that those discussions happened. But I find that hard to believe considering the way the Dodgers played the entire series. More than anything that'd be my reason for Mattingly to be let go. Based on their collective levels of intensity and preparedness I couldn't tell if they were in the playoffs, in a throwaway series during the dog days of summer, or just trying to play out the last few games of Spring Training.

How sad is that?

Last Edited By: EvilEuro Oct 16 15 6:21 AM. Edited 2 times.

#15 [url]

Oct 16 15 6:25 AM

EvilEuro wrote:
On a more grand scale for the Dodgers, I'd like to see any roster changes be made with the idea of improving the baseball intelligence of the team.

One of the things that stood out the most about the Dodgers in the five games against the Mets was just how absolutely brain-dead they are as a collective whole. Soooo many at-bats just given away without a thought of what needs to be done considering the game situation. The litany of men left on base as guys came up and took weak swings at pitches that they never had a chance of hitting for even a sacrifice fly on the first or second pitch. They failed to make starters nor he Mets bullpen work hard.

He might not have had a hit during the series, but Joc Pederson had some of the best at-bats for the team in drawing 7 and 8 pitch walks during game 5. After that, I can't recall many quality at-bats. One of the best ones was by Clayton Kershaw in game 4. It's pretty sad when one of your pitchers is having better quality at bats than the other players in the lineup.

This also goes back to Utley's slide in game 2. He is the only member of the Dodgers who I think recognized the situation and played it accordingly. I don't think anyone else would have went in that hard because they'd have just been going through the motions.

This Dodgers team might be worst I've seen in ages in terms of collective baseball IQ. It just doesn't exist. Part of that is on the players. But another part of that is on the organization. Situational awareness is something that should have been drilled into them as they progressed through the minors. At the Major League level it is something that should have been addressed before the start of the series from Mattingly on a grand overview basis, to McGwire for specific situational hitting talks before games, to Davey Lopes reminding guys about the need to be more aware than normal with regard to all baserunning situations.

I would like to think that those discussions happened. But I find that hard to believe considering the way the Dodgers played the entire series. More than anything that'd be my reason for Mattingly to be let go. Based on their collective levels of intensity and preparedness I couldn't tell if they were in the playoffs, in a throwaway series during the dog days of summer, or just trying to play out the last few games of Spring Training.

How sad is that?
Undoubtedly some of the dumbest MoFos to ever take the field, but really, how many of the position players actually came up through the Dodger minor league system?  Van Slyke, Pederson, Seager, Puig for a year and a half.  The rest came from somewhere else.

Just one more damnation of the worthless Logan White/DeJon Watson and the worst minor league system in baseball.

#17 [url]

Oct 16 15 6:39 AM

EvilEuro wrote:

How sad is that?

It is the clubhouse culture.  Even with the addition of guys like Rollins and Kendrick, guys who are considered hardnosed players, there seemed to be attitude of entitlement on this team as they were entitled to winning the West and so on and so forth.   Like you said, too many at bats were given away by poor approaches, lack of patience and a lack of preparedness.    I don't know how many at bats, when we were down were started with swinging at the first strike or pitch.  Add into the continued stupidity of not wasting a pitch when our arms were up 0-2 and it almost seems like some of these guys (coaches and players) act like they have never played the game.  

Intensity is also an issue.   Granted, I am no fan of the rah-rah types as I think it is show for the camera and wonks, but some enthusiasm would be grand to see.   I tend to think that comes from guys like AGon who has to be the most emotionless guy I have ever seen and Mattingly, who is surely dead from the neck up.   I don't expect the clubhouse culture to change overnight, but given the efforts to curb any of Puig's enthusiasm, one has to wonder if this was done to appease guys like AGon who are here for their paycheck and expect to be in the lineup day in, day out whether they are worthy or not.   

Fun suggestion from the kid as he is fully on board for Giancarlo Stanton coming home and being a Dodger - send Puig, AGon (and a significant piece of his salary) and Mattingly to Miami for Stanton.  I don't know if the Fish would want AGon, but it might be the kind of move to change the culture in the clubhouse by saying that no one is safe.   Sure, we have a hole at first, but that is not exactly hard to fill.   Not saying we should drop huge coin on Chris Davis, but guys like Adam Lind, Justin Morneau (and his concussion history), Jonathan Singleton (may just need a change of scenery) and Pedro Alvarez (although his best fit is a place where he doesn't have to wear a glove) could be available.   None of those guys are a perfect solution, but it would only be a one year job while we are waiting on Cody Bellinger to gain some weight and experience.  

#18 [url]

Oct 16 15 7:02 AM

ocmike24 wrote:
bigblaster wrote:

They most certainly did, and I apologize for not being clearer.  They won the West.  No, that isn't enough, but they won plenty of games without Puig, which means they CAN win games (and seasons) without him.  His antics have worn thin with management and, apparently, his teammates. He needs to mature, but we shouldn't have to wait any longer on him to do that. Get what you can for him.  Hell, let's go after Cespedes (who is Puig with maturity, anyway). 

In other news, Grandal will have arthroscopic surgery on Wednesday on his yipping shoulder.

Another, non-trade, move I'd make is to send Joc to the AFL to revamp that swing.  It is a sweet swing, but it is too big and, if he can learn to shorten his drive forward and then explode on the ball, we'll see 30+ dings out of him, every year.

#19 [url]

Oct 16 15 7:04 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
EvilEuro wrote:

How sad is that?

It is the clubhouse culture.  Even with the addition of guys like Rollins and Kendrick, guys who are considered hardnosed players, there seemed to be attitude of entitlement on this team as they were entitled to winning the West and so on and so forth.   Like you said, too many at bats were given away by poor approaches, lack of patience and a lack of preparedness.    I don't know how many at bats, when we were down were started with swinging at the first strike or pitch.  Add into the continued stupidity of not wasting a pitch when our arms were up 0-2 and it almost seems like some of these guys (coaches and players) act like they have never played the game.  

Intensity is also an issue.   Granted, I am no fan of the rah-rah types as I think it is show for the camera and wonks, but some enthusiasm would be grand to see.   I tend to think that comes from guys like AGon who has to be the most emotionless guy I have ever seen and Mattingly, who is surely dead from the neck up.   I don't expect the clubhouse culture to change overnight, but given the efforts to curb any of Puig's enthusiasm, one has to wonder if this was done to appease guys like AGon who are here for their paycheck and expect to be in the lineup day in, day out whether they are worthy or not.   

Fun suggestion from the kid as he is fully on board for Giancarlo Stanton coming home and being a Dodger - send Puig, AGon (and a significant piece of his salary) and Mattingly to Miami for Stanton.  I don't know if the Fish would want AGon, but it might be the kind of move to change the culture in the clubhouse by saying that no one is safe.   Sure, we have a hole at first, but that is not exactly hard to fill.   Not saying we should drop huge coin on Chris Davis, but guys like Adam Lind, Justin Morneau (and his concussion history), Jonathan Singleton (may just need a change of scenery) and Pedro Alvarez (although his best fit is a place where he doesn't have to wear a glove) could be available.   None of those guys are a perfect solution, but it would only be a one year job while we are waiting on Cody Bellinger to gain some weight and experience.  

Hell, why not flip SVS there, for one season?  See what he can do.

#20 [url]

Oct 16 15 7:19 AM

Let me also make this point about firing Mattingly: If they're going to do it, do it fast. There are no Joe Madden's available, this season, but if they diddle, somebody who might be available might not be (though I think they'd wind up within with Kapler, Roenicke or Wallach, any of which would be okay with me).

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help