Remove this ad

#3061 [url]

Feb 13 16 5:33 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
Baseball America just released their Top 100 prospect list and the Dodgers had 7 prospects on the list. The number is padded because they rated Kenta Maeda as the No. 50 prospect and other organizations and analysts did not include Maeda as a prospect.

Baseball America also ranked the Dodgers' farm system No. 1 in baseball.

Pretty amazing turnaround for the farm system under Kasten, Friedman and Zaidi.

The one major whiff was Moncada. They could have had him but all of the sudden decided to not go all in and allowed the Red Sox to get him.

The didn't exactly decide not to go all in. It was reported that they made a big offer, but it would have required him to wait until July 2nd to sign and he preferred signing immediately. If the Dodgers had signed him prior to July 2nd they wouldn't have been able to sign anyone this signing period and I think it would have been rather risky to give up everything we've gotten since July 2nd for one guy.

Remove this ad

#3063 [url]

Feb 14 16 1:33 PM

Long time, no talk, gents. Let's see what I missed. Frankie Montas needs thoracic outlet surgery - I am good, he will be fresh in September when we need a power bullpen arm. No word on Lazarito, but I am not worried. He will sign and it won't be in four months. Heard, while in Japan, that the elder Gurriel will be fast-tracked by the govmint to sign ASAP. With Turner's knees being as issue and impending free agency, I say sign Gurriel and let him be the super sub (he can play second and short, as well) for now and figure he will be the odds-on to play third in '17. Sure, he is 32, but after watching him hit and field in videos, he might be a huge upgrade over Turner. Doesn't mean we can't sign Turner, but I think his future (with his knees) could be the other corner of the infield or DH (if the NL bends to the Players Union, who seem to be the biggest proponents of baseball-wide DH). Don't get me wrong, I love Ginger Jesus but I have learned that knees don't go away and microfracture surgery is dicey at best. I am trying to remember the NBA player who had all of the talent in the world but microfracture surgery didn't take and his career turned to manure.

Also read that Spring Training should be boring for the Dodgers. No real position battles and aside from Ryu's shoulder, not a lot of questions. At least we have options if Ryu can't answer the bell but I have a feeling he will be there on opening day toeing the foul line for introductions. Also read that we are finally trying to move Guerrero. I am thinking Cleveland or Baltimore as both could use a righty bat in their lineups and he is a fit at DH. I still think that if he gets 500+ plate appearances, he will put up very good numbers something like .270/.320/.500. Put him in Baltimore and I think he could get thirty bombs. Just hope we get more than an autographed picture of Jim Palmer in return. Didn't hear anymore Ethier to Chicagoland talk while overseas but I doubt it goes away completely until mid-April. Of course, if we sign Gurriel with his versatility, Ethier might be well on his way to parts unknown. Lots of Otani talk while in Japan, I guess the Padres are sniffing after him but if he ever is allowed to walk it is well known that we were the team who were pushing hard after him before he backed out of coming overseas at eighteen. The $20 million fee would be a drop in the bucket compared to his first contract - I am thinking he might be allowed to walk in two more years and I can see him getting six or seven years at $25 million plus. It may sound foolish, but starting pitchers who can easily reach triple digits and also can hit bombs from the left side of the plate don't grow on trees. But, like Badler suggests, he is a pitcher first. One guy I read in Japan suggested that he be moved to the pen as a closer and that way he can play outfield and continue to hit. It works in college so it might work in the show. I figure he better be a better hitter than he shows right now to be worth that kind of money as a closer.

Oh well, off to dinner. Women are dressed in their best finery and expect a hugely expensive dinner at a four star restaurant with real table clothes and waiters who can fake French. I was hoping for pizza and wings but that ain't happening.

#3064 [url]

Feb 14 16 2:28 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
 I am trying to remember the NBA player who had all of the talent in the world but microfracture surgery didn't take and his career turned to manure.

Amare Stoudemire

#3065 [url]

Feb 14 16 5:31 PM

ocmike24 wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
 I am trying to remember the NBA player who had all of the talent in the world but microfracture surgery didn't take and his career turned to manure.

Amare Stoudemire

That was one, but I was thinking of Greg Oden.   

#3066 [url]

Feb 15 16 4:19 PM

The Dodgers signed Oscar Arzaga, a 16 year old RHP out of Chihuahua, Mexico.  Apparently he is a highly touted prospect, though I haven't heard of him before today.  A 16 year old who is 6'5", can hit 95mph, and mixes four pitches sounds pretty awesome.

#3067 [url]

Feb 15 16 4:30 PM

Moose wrote:
The Dodgers signed Oscar Arzaga, a 16 year old RHP out of Chihuahua, Mexico.  Apparently he is a highly touted prospect, though I haven't heard of him before today.  A 16 year old who is 6'5", can hit 95mph, and mixes four pitches sounds pretty awesome.

is that real?  I can't tell..

#3068 [url]

Feb 15 16 4:32 PM

Moose wrote:

Re: source, a few folks on Teh Twitterz have posted about it.  Still waiting for a nationally reputable source to confirm, but I checked the Dodgers' transaction site and he's on there:

#3069 [url]

Feb 15 16 4:34 PM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
Moose wrote:

Trying to do more digging, but he's on the Dodgers' transaction site, so there's that! 

#3070 [url]

Feb 15 16 4:49 PM

Moose wrote:
Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
Moose wrote:

Trying to do more digging, but he's on the Dodgers' transaction site, so there's that! 

Uh, yeah!  That's a good sign.  I saw that news from some weird twitter account that seemed really fishy, so I was very dubious.  Our transaction page says we signed him on 2/4?  Interesting.

Remove this ad

#3074 [url]

Feb 15 16 8:29 PM

Moose wrote:

#3078 [url]

Feb 18 16 10:14 AM

Just saw we have spent 44 mil on international prospects this year, and since we pay 100% tax on anything over our 700k allotment we have actually spent 88 mil... that is some serious coinage on prospects

#3080 [url]

Feb 18 16 11:36 AM

The key player in the Boston trade announces retirement, Crawford should probably follow his lead

Ken Rosenthal [email protected]_Rosenthal
Infielder Nick Punto, who sat out last season, has decided to officially retire. Enjoyed 14-year career with MIN, PHI, LAD, STL, BOS, OAK.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help