Remove this ad

#3081 [url]

Feb 18 16 1:45 PM

beefchopper wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-plan-friedman-20160217-story.html
I very much enjoyed reading this Q&A and then I read the comments and I found myself cowering in a corner rocking in a fetal position and humming unintelligible lyrics to a song I never knew I knew.

Remove this ad

#3082 [url]

Feb 18 16 3:33 PM

Moose wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-plan-friedman-20160217-story.html
I very much enjoyed reading this Q&A and then I read the comments and I found myself cowering in a corner rocking in a fetal position and humming unintelligible lyrics to a song I never knew I knew.

It's pretty amazing that outside of this Forum and TBLA (maybe Dodger Digest as well, but you have to skim through a lot of non sense posted there), the common fans that post are very disgruntled with this Front Office. Again I'm not sure this team is better than last year, but the future is very bright and the best this Franchise has seen since the 70's.

#3083 [url]

Feb 18 16 3:44 PM

Throwdeuce wrote:
Moose wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

It's pretty amazing that outside of this Forum and TBLA (maybe Dodger Digest as well, but you have to skim through a lot of non sense posted there), the common fans that post are very disgruntled with this Front Office. Again I'm not sure this team is better than last year, but the future is very bright and the best this Franchise has seen since the 70's.

I think a lot of criticism comes from the fact that the Dodgers didn't sign Greinke AND failed to use the money saved by not doing so to sign another big ticket free agent.

Gotta be honest, IMO guys like Justin Upton and Cespedes were signed for fairly cheap deals and if the Dodgers could've moved Ethier, signing one of them would have been a good thing to do.

Then again, I think getting Kendrick for 2 yrs and $20 mill was a shrewd move but also made signing Utley for $7 mill look like a bit of a waste.

I think the 40 man roster is deeper with talent, BUT I definitely think there are a lot of questions that need to be answered before I feel like the Dodgers are on their way to another NL West title. 

#3084 [url]

Feb 18 16 4:57 PM

DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
Throwdeuce wrote:
Moose wrote:

I think a lot of criticism comes from the fact that the Dodgers didn't sign Greinke AND failed to use the money saved by not doing so to sign another big ticket free agent.

Gotta be honest, IMO guys like Justin Upton and Cespedes were signed for fairly cheap deals and if the Dodgers could've moved Ethier, signing one of them would have been a good thing to do.

Then again, I think getting Kendrick for 2 yrs and $20 mill was a shrewd move but also made signing Utley for $7 mill look like a bit of a waste.

I think the 40 man roster is deeper with talent, BUT I definitely think there are a lot of questions that need to be answered before I feel like the Dodgers are on their way to another NL West title. 

I think Friedman sounded terrible in that Q&A.  I'm guessing he's not savvy at dealing with the media (coming from TB), but he has to know that you can't spin your way around every single damn question.  It just causes unnecessary worry/criticism.  I think he's a good president and like most of what he's done so far, but he doesn't come off all that well in interviews or quotes.  Part of that is the Times stoking the general fan outrage and going after the FO, but part of it stems from answers like this.

As to how things have unfolded, I'm totally happy with investing in the farm.  I'm only slightly annoyed that Kasten decided to take on so much dead weight salary to spur the fans and land his lucrative TV deal.  I totally get it from a financial perspective.  But from a payroll/team management perspective, the cost paid for A-Gone was WAY too high and extending Ethier as a boon to the fans was foolish.  That's fine if you're going to do that and then eat those mistakes, but, here we are still dealing with the problem.  And hasn't it affected us?  With the exception of Greinke, my recollection is that we've been somewhat of bargain shoppers on the FA/trade market over the past few years.   At least part of that has to be because of the ~$60M tied up in those three players, no?  I mean, let's be honest, the better route was the Cub's ... blow things up, get some high DPs, invest internationally and then strike on the trade/FA market once your young core starts succeeding.  But the timing for us to have done that was completely off, because of our TV deal.  I certainly didn't want to become the Phillies and, I guess we took some decent shots at the playoffs over the last few years, but it does seem that we've had an eye toward the long-term at the cost of the short and this interview mostly confirms that. 

The real test for me is this trade deadline ... I mean, if we bomb, we're obviously going to stay quiet or sell.  But, if this team is within striking distance and big time arms come available ... are we going to GO for it or stand pat.   

Last Edited By: Doppel Von Guggenheim Feb 18 16 4:59 PM. Edited 1 time.

#3085 [url]

Feb 18 16 6:28 PM

Throwdeuce wrote:
Moose wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

Well, the common fans want to spend like drunken sailors with no thought to two or three years into the future.   Even though Friedman is no spin doctor, he kept it simple and vague.   I like this off-season because we have zero big salaries on the books when Harper, Machado and a certain lefty are free agents.    Along the way, we build up the farm system and make the need for free agents minimal.    All I think I need to say to the common fan (borderline idiot) is Philadelphia Phillies.   That should freeze most peoples innards.   Sure, let's overpay for Greinke, Hamels, etc.... What happens when each gets an elbow and we look to the farm and all we have is Zach Lee and the ghost of Greg Miller?  The common fan should worry about the weather and where he/she parked, that is about all he/she can handle.   Leave the criticisms to people who understand the game beyond clapping to the music and playing with beachballs.  

#3086 [url]

Feb 18 16 7:13 PM

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: Free-agent reliever Louis Coleman will receive $750,000 in his one-year deal with the #Dodgers, as first reported by @DevanFink.

@billplunkettocr: LRT: In parts of 5 seasons with #Royals, Louis Coleman had 3.20 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 9.4 Kper9. Most of last yr in AAA. #Dodgers bullpen help

#3087 [url]

Feb 18 16 7:17 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Throwdeuce wrote:
Moose wrote:

Well, the common fans want to spend like drunken sailors with no thought to two or three years into the future.   Even though Friedman is no spin doctor, he kept it simple and vague.   I like this off-season because we have zero big salaries on the books when Harper, Machado and a certain lefty are free agents.    Along the way, we build up the farm system and make the need for free agents minimal.    All I think I need to say to the common fan (borderline idiot) is Philadelphia Phillies.   That should freeze most peoples innards.   Sure, let's overpay for Greinke, Hamels, etc.... What happens when each gets an elbow and we look to the farm and all we have is Zach Lee and the ghost of Greg Miller?  The common fan should worry about the weather and where he/she parked, that is about all he/she can handle.   Leave the criticisms to people who understand the game beyond clapping to the music and playing with beachballs.  

My guess is the plan will be to continue to build by growing our own and when needed, only add some free agents who are from less than the most expensive tier.  I'd be surprised to see us signing any of Harper, Machado etc. when they become available.  The real question to me is, assuming he stays healthy, will the Dodgers break pattern (and the bank) to sign Kershaw when he opts out.  My guess (hope?) is they'll make an exception for him but that remains to be seen.

#3091 [url]

Feb 19 16 10:48 AM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
Throwdeuce wrote:

I think Friedman sounded terrible in that Q&A.  I'm guessing he's not savvy at dealing with the media (coming from TB), but he has to know that you can't spin your way around every single damn question.  It just causes unnecessary worry/criticism.  I think he's a good president and like most of what he's done so far, but he doesn't come off all that well in interviews or quotes.  Part of that is the Times stoking the general fan outrage and going after the FO, but part of it stems from answers like this.

While reading the Q&A, I personally didn't get the "spin" impression, though I totally get how many would view his answers in that way.  I can see how answers like "it depends," "a number of reasons," and "that's part of it," for example, can be frustrating, as they are vague and sound like a way to avoid the question.  I view these answers as simply the most accurate, however.  Black-and-white bold answers are avoided, largely because they are simply not true.  For instance, IMO, Shaikin tried to frame some of his questioning to suggest that Hamels was the reason we didn't win the WS last year.  But there were a number of reasons, as Friedman noted, which sadly makes him sound like a PR man, apparently.

On a personal note, I enjoyed when he cited Granderson's swinging bunt and Kendrick's line-out in the first inning of Game 5.  On this very forum I cited those two plays (along with Seager's 3-0 count with 0 outs and runners on the second inning, one pitch away from knocking DeGrom out of the game), as the moments that were most deflating to me.  It was kind of cool coincidence to read!

At any rate, I personally found his answers refreshing, because they came off to me as logical and accurate for the most part.  But, I think your right on point, Doppel, that these answers could unfortunately hurt his reputation due to a (mis?)interpretation that he's a spin man.

Anywho, happy Friday all.  Pitchers and Catchers report oh thank goodness I'm dying from baseball withdrawal.

#3092 [url]

Feb 19 16 11:14 AM

The Dodgers probably have looked at who their competition is going to be for awhile and are positioning themselves to be in the conversation. The Cubs, Mets, Astros have deep and young teams at key positions and have the money to stay that way. Might as well acknowledge that and emulate the plan.

#3093 [url]

Feb 19 16 11:35 AM

Moose wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:

While reading the Q&A, I personally didn't get the "spin" impression, though I totally get how many would view his answers in that way.  I can see how answers like "it depends," "a number of reasons," and "that's part of it," for example, can be frustrating, as they are vague and sound like a way to avoid the question.  I view these answers as simply the most accurate, however.  Black-and-white bold answers are avoided, largely because they are simply not true.  For instance, IMO, Shaikin tried to frame some of his questioning to suggest that Hamels was the reason we didn't win the WS last year.  But there were a number of reasons, as Friedman noted, which sadly makes him sound like a PR man, apparently.

On a personal note, I enjoyed when he cited Granderson's swinging bunt and Kendrick's line-out in the first inning of Game 5.  On this very forum I cited those two plays (along with Seager's 3-0 count with 0 outs and runners on the second inning, one pitch away from knocking DeGrom out of the game), as the moments that were most deflating to me.  It was kind of cool coincidence to read!

At any rate, I personally found his answers refreshing, because they came off to me as logical and accurate for the most part.  But, I think your right on point, Doppel, that these answers could unfortunately hurt his reputation due to a (mis?)interpretation that he's a spin man.

Anywho, happy Friday all.  Pitchers and Catchers report oh thank goodness I'm dying from baseball withdrawal.

Actually, I re-read that Q&A carefully and now agree with you.  My bad.

#3094 [url]

Feb 19 16 12:00 PM

Moose wrote:

Actually, I re-read that Q&A carefully and now agree with you.  My bad.

Oh nice, no worries!!

#3095 [url]

Feb 19 16 12:16 PM

I'm opening the Spendodger Memorial, if you'd all like to move over.

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help