Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 19 16 12:17 PM

Tags : :

Time once again for Spring Training and, with it, the 2016 Spendodger Memorial.

Long time posters will remember the late, great Phil Spencer.  For you newbies, Phil was a direct, sometimes gruff, always entertaining writer who travelled, every year, to Vero Beach and gave us insights to what was going on that nobody--NOBODY--had, days and weeks in advance.  I met Phil a couple of times and he was a decent, nice man.  Hard to believe that this year will mark the 12th anniversary of our loss.  Since his passing, we have dedicated the Spring Training threads to Phil, who went by the name "Spendodger." Sometimes we wanted to throttle him (and he'd take that in the positive), but everybody had genuine respect and affection for Phil.

Have at it, Kids!

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

Last Edited By: bigblaster Feb 19 16 12:52 PM. Edited 2 times

Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 19 16 12:49 PM

Let's open with your 2016 Dodgers Spring Training Pic of the Day:

image

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

#3 [url]

Feb 19 16 1:40 PM

Tis is in response to DieHard on the other thread that is closed about common fans and the FO.
Not only about Greinke, but the common fan can't get over the Gordon trade. No need to rehash here, but I for one would do that trade everyday and twice on Sunday, even after the year Gordon had.

#5 [url]

Feb 20 16 9:04 AM

And the suspense builds (from ESPN):

New Dodgers manager Dave Roberts declined to name his obvious Opening Day starter, but did offer that Clayton Kershaw makes sense. He said he would prefer to wait on making a more formal announcement.

#13 [url]

Feb 21 16 6:43 PM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
http://dodgersphotog.mlblogs.com/2016/02/20/22016-something-current-pitchers-and-catchers-first-workout-by-jon-soohoola-dodgers/

Love these photos from Soohoo. I have to say, Ryu looks good. I don't always buy into the "best shape of my life" BS, but I like it for a guy coming off an injury.


Not sure how I feel about those new spring training hats. I can't decide if I like them or not. I think I need to see one in person. Definitely "different" from seeing our traditional "LA" logo.

#15 [url]

Feb 22 16 7:42 AM

Trying to catch up. Don't have one clue why Loria and Co. think that zero facial hair equates more wins. Love the pictures of the boys and Ryu looks freakin' skinny. Don't know what to think on that, I liked the rounder Ryu but if he can give us 150 - 170 innings, I am good. Looks like Panda had the "Seeing my Feet is not Important" Diet. Geez, money poorly spent John Henry? I read that it looked like Puig lost more than the reported fifteen to twenty pounds, so this is good. I find it shocking that the media portrays the Dodgers as undisciplined and full of hate for each other when it seems that every player comes in to camp in great shape and there seems to be an air of fun with this team. Can't say that about the Red Sox or Cubs. I like Joe Maddon, but this annointing the Cubs as great seems to overlook that a lot of these players were first or second year guys and the pitching is still questionable. Sure, Lackey, Lester and Arrieta could be great, but age is a factor and I just think that Arrieta will never come even close to 2015.

#16 [url]

Feb 22 16 9:24 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Trying to catch up. Don't have one clue why Loria and Co. think that zero facial hair equates more wins. Love the pictures of the boys and Ryu looks freakin' skinny. Don't know what to think on that, I liked the rounder Ryu but if he can give us 150 - 170 innings, I am good. Looks like Panda had the "Seeing my Feet is not Important" Diet. Geez, money poorly spent John Henry? I read that it looked like Puig lost more than the reported fifteen to twenty pounds, so this is good. I find it shocking that the media portrays the Dodgers as undisciplined and full of hate for each other when it seems that every player comes in to camp in great shape and there seems to be an air of fun with this team. Can't say that about the Red Sox or Cubs. I like Joe Maddon, but this annointing the Cubs as great seems to overlook that a lot of these players were first or second year guys and the pitching is still questionable. Sure, Lackey, Lester and Arrieta could be great, but age is a factor and I just think that Arrieta will never come even close to 2015.
The Cubs do seem like one of the top teams in MLB, but I wouldn't anoint them as champs yet, either. Lackey was good last year, but he's getting up there and Heyward is a great RF, but it remains to be seen how he handles CF for an extended period of time. On top of that, he's a solid player, but I don't see a huge upgrade over Fowler, who hit 17 HRs and stole 20 bases for the Cubs last year and is a true defensive CF.

I also thought Starlin Castro played really well for the Cubs at 2B once he got acclimated and not sure how big (if any) of an upgrade Zobrist is over him at 2B.

That said, on paper, their lineup looks really deep and their rotation improved. 

As with anything, health and development of the younger players will determine a lot.

#17 [url]

Feb 22 16 9:25 AM

Jimmy Rollins signs a minor league deal with the White Sox and I am betting he breaks camp as their starting shortstop. Probably a stopgap to Tim Anderson. Guess that ends the Ian Desmond to Chicago rumors. I am thinking that Desmond doesn't sign until after the draft unless someone loses a shortstop to injury before the season opens. Of course, if Tampa was willing to punt their first pick, they could do worse than Desmond. So unless Tampa punts the thirteen pick, we are stuck at 22, 32 and 36 for the draft. I am not sure what happens when Fowler signs with the Orioles. Either they lose their #28 pick or that pick goes to the Cubs. I supposed if the pick goes to the Cubs, we would move up to 31 but I am not completely sure that is how it works.

Sounds like Louis Coleman signed his contract and was on the field working out with the pitchers five minutes later. Like that kind of attitude. I will give our front office this, they brought in a lot of arms and didn't drop a ton of cash to do it. Still trying to figure out how Starks gets to $240 million with this group. I did the math and came up with a bit less than $215 million with Kendrick's deferrals. Maybe less. Guess it sounds better in Bristol to have us paying more money out. When I think of it, except for Kemp's $3 million a year we send the Padres' way, we should have zero money going to out to have guys play elsewhere. Just counting the days until Guerrero is Baltimore or Tampa bound.

#18 [url]

Feb 22 16 9:41 AM

derrickm wrote:
Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
http://dodgersphotog.mlblogs.com/2016/02/20/22016-something-current-pitchers-and-catchers-first-workout-by-jon-soohoola-dodgers/

Love these photos from Soohoo. I have to say, Ryu looks good. I don't always buy into the "best shape of my life" BS, but I like it for a guy coming off an injury.


Not sure how I feel about those new spring training hats. I can't decide if I like them or not. I think I need to see one in person. Definitely "different" from seeing our traditional "LA" logo.

I know how I feel about them.  Gag.  Even the Jints and YankMes did a variation with their own logos.

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

#19 [url]

Feb 22 16 9:50 AM

bigblaster wrote:
derrickm wrote:
Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
http://dodgersphotog.mlblogs.com/2016/02/20/22016-something-current-pitchers-and-catchers-first-workout-by-jon-soohoola-dodgers/

Love these photos from Soohoo. I have to say, Ryu looks good. I don't always buy into the "best shape of my life" BS, but I like it for a guy coming off an injury.


Not sure how I feel about those new spring training hats. I can't decide if I like them or not. I think I need to see one in person. Definitely "different" from seeing our traditional "LA" logo.

I know how I feel about them.  Gag.  Even the Jints and YankMes did a variation with their own logos.

I was thinking Dayton Dragons when I saw that logo.   Would've prefered a B for Brooklyn or something like the Tiger's logo.    This was just a bad idea.  

#20 [url]

Feb 22 16 11:43 AM

bigblaster wrote:
derrickm wrote:
Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
http://dodgersphotog.mlblogs.com/2016/02/20/22016-something-current-pitchers-and-catchers-first-workout-by-jon-soohoola-dodgers/

Love these photos from Soohoo. I have to say, Ryu looks good. I don't always buy into the "best shape of my life" BS, but I like it for a guy coming off an injury.


Not sure how I feel about those new spring training hats. I can't decide if I like them or not. I think I need to see one in person. Definitely "different" from seeing our traditional "LA" logo.

I know how I feel about them.  Gag.  Even the Jints and YankMes did a variation with their own logos.
I'm thinking the Dodgers (along with all teams) didn't have much say, and this was MLB/New ERA doing with all the ST hats to make some extra cash.

  

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help