Remove this ad

#341 [url]

Mar 28 16 5:22 PM

beefchopper wrote:
Throwdeuce wrote:
Thank the Heavens Wright has retired and this FObwont be tempted to put him on the 25 man.
Tomko just pitched for the Czech team (who knew) in the World Baseball Classic qualifiers a few weeks ago.  He might be ready and available.

Cue Mike in 3....2....1....

Remove this ad

#342 [url]

Mar 28 16 6:02 PM

beefchopper wrote:
Throwdeuce wrote:
Thank the Heavens Wright has retired and this FObwont be tempted to put him on the 25 man.
Tomko just pitched for the Czech team (who knew) in the World Baseball Classic qualifiers a few weeks ago.  He might be ready and available.

Tomko sucks.

#344 [url]

Mar 29 16 6:25 AM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
Who is this JT character and how the hell did we get him? I mean what happened? When it clicks, it clicks.
No kidding.  .600/1.200/1.852.  Again, "it's only spring training", but the man is locked in.

He won't make the team, assuming Seager is ready, but Charlie Culberson has had a nice spring.  Also very impressed by Rob Segedin, who has no chance of cracking the 25, but has hit and played 3B/1B well.  Nice under the radar depth signings.  Cody Bellinger looks awesome.  Great swing and developing power, he'll be fun to follow at AAA this year.  And, of course, no 2016 ST report from yours truly would be complete without mentioning Louis Coleman. 9 G, 9 IP, 0R, 3H, 0BB, 11K.

#345 [url]

Mar 29 16 6:29 AM

So, looks like we optioned Lipitor to AAA after last nights game. That means either:
1. We are going with only one LHP in the bullpen (Howell) and maybe keeping both Garcia and Baez on the squad
2. Avilan makes the team, despite his horrendous results

I would like to think that just because you throw left handed does not guarantee you a spot and that they go with option 1.

#346 [url]

Mar 29 16 6:39 AM

beefchopper wrote:
The worst blow of our spring;

Jamey Wright To Retire

I saw the interview Wright had on SNLA, and he seemed very content with his decision. He knew he wasn't going to make the team and even said that the FO asked him if wanted to pitch in the final game in Anaheim and that the team would fly out his family to let them watch it. He said he didn't want this to be about him and that he is fine with the way he is leaving the game. 

#347 [url]

Mar 29 16 7:35 AM

True2DaBlue wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
The worst blow of our spring;

Jamey Wright To Retire

I saw the interview Wright had on SNLA, and he seemed very content with his decision. He knew he wasn't going to make the team and even said that the FO asked him if wanted to pitch in the final game in Anaheim and that the team would fly out his family to let them watch it. He said he didn't want this to be about him and that he is fine with the way he is leaving the game. 
Jamey was never a great pitcher, but always a class individual.

#348 [url]

Mar 29 16 8:39 AM

True2DaBlue wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
The worst blow of our spring;

Jamey Wright To Retire

I saw the interview Wright had on SNLA, and he seemed very content with his decision. He knew he wasn't going to make the team and even said that the FO asked him if wanted to pitch in the final game in Anaheim and that the team would fly out his family to let them watch it. He said he didn't want this to be about him and that he is fine with the way he is leaving the game. 
Class move by the Blue.  Love it.

#349 [url]

Mar 29 16 8:43 AM

WildHare wrote:
Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
Who is this JT character and how the hell did we get him? I mean what happened? When it clicks, it clicks.
No kidding.  .600/1.200/1.852.  Again, "it's only spring training", but the man is locked in.

He won't make the team, assuming Seager is ready, but Charlie Culberson has had a nice spring.  Also very impressed by Rob Segedin, who has no chance of cracking the 25, but has hit and played 3B/1B well.  Nice under the radar depth signings.  Cody Bellinger looks awesome.  Great swing and developing power, he'll be fun to follow at AAA this year.  And, of course, no 2016 ST report from yours truly would be complete without mentioning Louis Coleman. 9 G, 9 IP, 0R, 3H, 0BB, 11K.

Yeah, great ST by JT.  I just can't believe how amazing he's been in blue.  897 OPS in 109 games in 2014, 861 OPS in 126 games last year.  His previous best year was 2012 with the Mets where he had a 711 OPS.  I mean, he's basically out-performing his numbers from the minors ... he's just come out of nowhere and looks like a star.  So lucky to have the guy.

#350 [url]

Mar 29 16 8:56 AM

Sounds like Seager will get into a game on Thursday and Grandal is making progress and likely will be in a game on Saturday. Good news!

Remove this ad

#351 [url]

Mar 29 16 12:29 PM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
WildHare wrote:
Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
Who is this JT character and how the hell did we get him? I mean what happened? When it clicks, it clicks.
No kidding.  .600/1.200/1.852.  Again, "it's only spring training", but the man is locked in.

He won't make the team, assuming Seager is ready, but Charlie Culberson has had a nice spring.  Also very impressed by Rob Segedin, who has no chance of cracking the 25, but has hit and played 3B/1B well.  Nice under the radar depth signings.  Cody Bellinger looks awesome.  Great swing and developing power, he'll be fun to follow at AAA this year.  And, of course, no 2016 ST report from yours truly would be complete without mentioning Louis Coleman. 9 G, 9 IP, 0R, 3H, 0BB, 11K.

Yeah, great ST by JT.  I just can't believe how amazing he's been in blue.  897 OPS in 109 games in 2014, 861 OPS in 126 games last year.  His previous best year was 2012 with the Mets where he had a 711 OPS.  I mean, he's basically out-performing his numbers from the minors ... he's just come out of nowhere and looks like a star.  So lucky to have the guy.

I heard that JT has hired a "swing coach", kind of like a pro golfer does.  Wish the rest of the team would look into this, given the results seen.

#352 [url]

Mar 29 16 3:22 PM

WildHare wrote:
Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
WildHare wrote:
No kidding.  .600/1.200/1.852.  Again, "it's only spring training", but the man is locked in.

He won't make the team, assuming Seager is ready, but Charlie Culberson has had a nice spring.  Also very impressed by Rob Segedin, who has no chance of cracking the 25, but has hit and played 3B/1B well.  Nice under the radar depth signings.  Cody Bellinger looks awesome.  Great swing and developing power, he'll be fun to follow at AAA this year.  And, of course, no 2016 ST report from yours truly would be complete without mentioning Louis Coleman. 9 G, 9 IP, 0R, 3H, 0BB, 11K.

Yeah, great ST by JT.  I just can't believe how amazing he's been in blue.  897 OPS in 109 games in 2014, 861 OPS in 126 games last year.  His previous best year was 2012 with the Mets where he had a 711 OPS.  I mean, he's basically out-performing his numbers from the minors ... he's just come out of nowhere and looks like a star.  So lucky to have the guy.

I heard that JT has hired a "swing coach", kind of like a pro golfer does.  Wish the rest of the team would look into this, given the results seen.

Speaking of swing coaches, I'm really liking what Turner Ward's done with Joc so far.  Still tons of Ks, which he'll likely always have, but he's also going to all fields and getting quite a few singles while still maintaining some power.  I'd love to see a 350+ OBP 20/20 season out of Joc.

#353 [url]

Mar 29 16 4:23 PM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
WildHare wrote:
Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
Yeah, great ST by JT.  I just can't believe how amazing he's been in blue.  897 OPS in 109 games in 2014, 861 OPS in 126 games last year.  His previous best year was 2012 with the Mets where he had a 711 OPS.  I mean, he's basically out-performing his numbers from the minors ... he's just come out of nowhere and looks like a star.  So lucky to have the guy.

I heard that JT has hired a "swing coach", kind of like a pro golfer does.  Wish the rest of the team would look into this, given the results seen.

Speaking of swing coaches, I'm really liking what Turner Ward's done with Joc so far.  Still tons of Ks, which he'll likely always have, but he's also going to all fields and getting quite a few singles while still maintaining some power.  I'd love to see a 350+ OBP 20/20 season out of Joc.
Seems that he has hit more balls to left in spring training than he did all of last season.  That could be a great sign.

AGon has shown bunt against the shift several times and last night he dropped a single into left on a shortened swing after showing bunt.

More work on base running is still needed.  Last night Puig got picked off second with two outs and SVS hitting against a lefty.  TOOTBLAN!

Then, Culberson tried to advance to third on Kike's one out grounder to short.  The rule about making sure the ball is hit to your left while on second base, bit him big time.  TOOTBLAN!

#354 [url]

Mar 31 16 12:12 PM

Went to Peoria with a Padres fan friend of mine the past couple days. Saw the Dodgers lose to the pads 11-9 Tuesday. A few observations:

Ross Stripling looked great for a couple innings. Second time through, though, ouch. He got into a pattern where he never threw the same pitch twice. We were sitting right behind home plate, and he indeed had his curve/slider working very well. But if he started off a hitter with it, he got into a habit of coming next pitch fastball. And vice-versa. So the hitters started spitting on the first pitch, and guessing (correctly with the next pitch), and hammering him. Otherwise, Stripling has great control and great mechanics. He appear very healthy, and I believe if the Dodgers let him get his feet wet, and if AJ/Grandal don't let him get into habits, he'll do fine as a #5.

Yasiel Puig looks LOST at the plate. Impatient. Guessing. Guessing wrong (and I mean frightfully wrong... you could hear several guys in the entire section I was sitting in rumbling about "here comes the fastball" in one of his at-bats... everybody knew it was coming but Puig. He just watched it go by, then blamed them ump for calling it a strike). Flailing. Complaining. The body language is as bad as it's ever been. And I hate to point this out, but as you know, in ST, it's typical for a group of players to be pulled from a game at a given time - like the 6th inning or so. On Tuesday, JT, AGon, AJ, Kike, and Puig were all replaced in the field. The first four went walking behind home plate together, side-by-side talking among one another, playfully pointing into the Pads dugout at Kemp and others as they headed toward the player's exit beyond the RF bullpen. Puig lagged 20 steps behind, by himself. I also had a good view of the dugout throughout the game, and he was never found talking with anyone - always on his own. I'd like to think these are just anomalies, but after reading Knight's book, hearing more rumors since the book came out, and then seeing it for myself Tuesday, I'm not confident in Puig as a player or as a teammate nearly as much as I used to be.

Big Red is LOCKED IN like few I've ever seen. He's incredibly confident at the plate, and his timing has come down to an art form. Pitchers genuinely see it, too, and they seem confounded as to how to get the ball past him. He worked the count beautifully in his 2nd AB Tuesday, and just waited on a pitch. He got it, and smoked it 420 feet. He's fun to watch right now.

AGon is a very smart hitter. You knew that. But watching his approach up close was fun. And when they shift on him, he's hitting it where they ain't. At least he is in ST. Let's see how that translates into the regular season, but he's certainly trying to send a message.

Carl Crawford looks old. And either he doesn't care about spring training, or he's just not thinking at the plate. He's not flailing wildly like Puig, but that's only because he doesn't swing as hard. He's lost, and I have no confidence that he's gonna suddenly start hitting.

Bob Geren is wearing #8, and he walks like (and is built similarly to) Donny Baseball. It was freaking me out.

#355 [url]

Mar 31 16 12:48 PM

monsooner wrote:
Went to Peoria with a Padres fan friend of mine the past couple days. Saw the Dodgers lose to the pads 11-9 Tuesday. A few observations:

Ross Stripling looked great for a couple innings. Second time through, though, ouch. He got into a pattern where he never threw the same pitch twice. We were sitting right behind home plate, and he indeed had his curve/slider working very well. But if he started off a hitter with it, he got into a habit of coming next pitch fastball. And vice-versa. So the hitters started spitting on the first pitch, and guessing (correctly with the next pitch), and hammering him. Otherwise, Stripling has great control and great mechanics. He appear very healthy, and I believe if the Dodgers let him get his feet wet, and if AJ/Grandal don't let him get into habits, he'll do fine as a #5.

Yasiel Puig looks LOST at the plate. Impatient. Guessing. Guessing wrong (and I mean frightfully wrong... you could hear several guys in the entire section I was sitting in rumbling about "here comes the fastball" in one of his at-bats... everybody knew it was coming but Puig. He just watched it go by, then blamed them ump for calling it a strike). Flailing. Complaining. The body language is as bad as it's ever been. And I hate to point this out, but as you know, in ST, it's typical for a group of players to be pulled from a game at a given time - like the 6th inning or so. On Tuesday, JT, AGon, AJ, Kike, and Puig were all replaced in the field. The first four went walking behind home plate together, side-by-side talking among one another, playfully pointing into the Pads dugout at Kemp and others as they headed toward the player's exit beyond the RF bullpen. Puig lagged 20 steps behind, by himself. I also had a good view of the dugout throughout the game, and he was never found talking with anyone - always on his own. I'd like to think these are just anomalies, but after reading Knight's book, hearing more rumors since the book came out, and then seeing it for myself Tuesday, I'm not confident in Puig as a player or as a teammate nearly as much as I used to be.

Big Red is LOCKED IN like few I've ever seen. He's incredibly confident at the plate, and his timing has come down to an art form. Pitchers genuinely see it, too, and they seem confounded as to how to get the ball past him. He worked the count beautifully in his 2nd AB Tuesday, and just waited on a pitch. He got it, and smoked it 420 feet. He's fun to watch right now.

AGon is a very smart hitter. You knew that. But watching his approach up close was fun. And when they shift on him, he's hitting it where they ain't. At least he is in ST. Let's see how that translates into the regular season, but he's certainly trying to send a message.

Carl Crawford looks old. And either he doesn't care about spring training, or he's just not thinking at the plate. He's not flailing wildly like Puig, but that's only because he doesn't swing as hard. He's lost, and I have no confidence that he's gonna suddenly start hitting.

Bob Geren is wearing #8, and he walks like (and is built similarly to) Donny Baseball. It was freaking me out.
Good analysis, thanks for the report!  Yasiel's having a decent ST, so I'm hoping that his looking "lost" is just boredom with the grind of ST.  Obviously, there are some red flags, but I'm hopeful that he'll have a strong year.  JT, on the other hand, looks like a killer.  Roberts already said that he's locked into the 3-hole with A-Gon at cleanup.  Those are the ONLY two lineup slots locked in.  That's how far JT has come.

#356 [url]

Mar 31 16 2:01 PM

Kyle- great report! Thanks for your observations.

I too (like Nick), am holding out the slightest of hope that Puig can "flip the switch" and get his act together. It's funny, cause all reports in ST had Yasiel finally getting together with teammates more than ever, even Roberts and Turner Ward ( I think?) had raved about his new found commitment. Well, I guess we'll see what this season will bring. One thing for sure. If Puig decides to half step it and mope around, he will either find himself on the bench or on anther team. As much as we all want him to succeed here, I think the rope for him is just about at the end. Fingers crossed that he gets it.

JT seems to be in good health and hopefully, that equates into an awesome season. He does look locked in and will be a really important piece to our success. AGon is raking and looks to be primed for a good season as well. I am still crossing my fingers that Joc can at least get his OBP close to .400 and provide the solid D in CF that he displayed last year. I can put up with the K's, if he D's up and gives us a 20-25 HR season. Hoping the combo of Utley/Kike/Kendrick can keep 2B a non-worrisome position. I still would like to see Barnes on this roster. Not only for backup C, but a nice piece in case of a double switch late in the game.

Crawford, OTOH, is only on this team because of that albatross contract. That said, if he isn't any better than your other options and you still are going to have to pay him, why not just cut the bait and release him? I would prefer any number of other guys currently in our system (namely, Trayce Thompson and Rico Noel) to make the team over CC, even eating the salary. I had a dream that the final roster to open the season did NOT have him on the team. I am hoping my dream turns into a premonition! Doubtful, but dreams do come true?

#357 [url]

Mar 31 16 2:17 PM

At Wednesday's final Cactus League game, Clayton's three innings were vintage Kershaw. We were on the second row almost directly behind home plate, an aisle over towards the Dodgers dugout. What a vantage point to see the master at work. His curve evoked gasps from those behind the plate.

Frias relieved to start the fourth. His control was off and he struggled through his three innings.

Joc had a horrible day. He struck out twice...no news there. He loafed on a fly ball and the runner on first tagged and advanced to second without a play. The runner?...None other than that noted speed merchant, Mike Napoli. Then, a couple of innings later, two out, runner on second, and he drops a routine can-of-corn fly ball.

#358 [url]

Mar 31 16 2:53 PM

No need to worry about Guerrero on the roster (for now):

Eric Stephen [email protected]
Alex Guerrero will open season on DL


edited: Grandal looks to be playing in games now in AZ. Played in one today, will do that again tomorrow, and then play 5 innings on Saturday in Anaheim.

Last Edited By: True2DaBlue Mar 31 16 2:59 PM. Edited 1 time.

#360 [url]

Mar 31 16 9:28 PM

True2DaBlue wrote:
No need to worry about Guerrero on the roster (for now):


Eric Stephen [email protected]

Alex Guerrero will open season on DL

edited: Grandal looks to be playing in games now in AZ. Played in one today, will do that again tomorrow, and then play 5 innings on Saturday in Anaheim.

No Vincent means that spot is a competition between Barnes, Culberson, Segedin, & Thompson. Davey sounds like he wants Trayce but the kid can't hit and is not that great in CF. He would be my last choice. I don't think the Sox would throw him in that trade if he was a great prospect. He needs to play everyday and hopefully turn his athleticism into better baseball skills. His bat speed and mechanics are really good.

Tonights game vs the Angels in LA had all the feels of a regular season game. I already miss Andre. 1-1 game after 7 and Davey calls for his LOOGY JP to start the 8th. I called game over. I think I'll be saying that all year whenever JP or Avilan, if he makes the team, come into the late innings of a tight game. Base hit and he ended up scoring the winning run. 

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help