Remove this ad

#361 [url]

Apr 1 16 6:00 AM

bcmaiden wrote:
True2DaBlue wrote:
No need to worry about Guerrero on the roster (for now):

Eric Stephen [email protected]

Alex Guerrero will open season on DL

edited: Grandal looks to be playing in games now in AZ. Played in one today, will do that again tomorrow, and then play 5 innings on Saturday in Anaheim.

No Vincent means that spot is a competition between Barnes, Culberson, Segedin, & Thompson. Davey sounds like he wants Trayce but the kid can't hit and is not that great in CF. He would be my last choice. I don't think the Sox would throw him in that trade if he was a great prospect. He needs to play everyday and hopefully turn his athleticism into better baseball skills. His bat speed and mechanics are really good.

Tonights game vs the Angels in LA had all the feels of a regular season game. I already miss Andre. 1-1 game after 7 and Davey calls for his LOOGY JP to start the 8th. I called game over. I think I'll be saying that all year whenever JP or Avilan, if he makes the team, come into the late innings of a tight game. Base hit and he ended up scoring the winning run. 
Well, I had a chance to watch this game also. A few observations:

1. Seager botching a routine popup cannot happen when the season starts. Cost the team (and Kazmir) a run. There were a couple of other plays (Puig for one) that Dodger players were nonchalant in catching the ball with one hand. I know that is Puig's style, but I'm hoping that a little more concentration defensively occurs. If not, this will be a frustration throughout the season.
2. Thompson needs some work offensively. I think a nice stint in AAA and concentrating on that aspect of his game will get him up here. Dodgers like his defense and that's all that really matters.
3. I am hoping that Ethier's absence won't open up a huge void for this team. I never thought I would type that. And, CC is not (and should not) be counted on much. A release outright would work for me.
4. Yeah, JP allowing the lead off hitter on base wasn't ideal. But, Hatcher also brought his gas can in with him and allowed the run. He seemed out of sync and couldn't find the plate. He is a real key this year. Hopefully, we get the second half version of Hatcher. JP? With the way he is pitching, I would guess he isn't going to be place in many high leverage situations. If Avilan actually made this team, I would be shocked. Baez should get the spot.
5. We do have the best ever in Vinny! We need to just absorb and realize that we are seeing the best ever in his last season. He is without equal.
6. The new organist really has a hockey type style to his playing (duh! He is the Kings organist) and it's a different feel than Nancy Bea. Not saying that's bad. Just going to take some time to get used to.

Remove this ad

#362 [url]

Apr 1 16 12:13 PM

I'm already seeing the end of the Kenley Jansen era in LA. The FO did not broach an extension or deal with him before arbitration and Kenley says that no talks will occur during the season. Translation:  FA here he comes. Another philosophy of Friedman in Tampa and Zaidi in Oakland about RP's and closers that suggests no expensive long term deals in the relief core. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. 

#363 [url]

Apr 1 16 2:48 PM

Catching up, here; just want to say, first and foremost, congratulations to Kyle on the new grandkid, and to Nick for Baby von Guggenheim and joining the rest of the club on never sleeping again.

In other news, looks like Stripling gets the 5th spot, per Shaikin.

#365 [url]

Apr 1 16 3:01 PM

Matthew wrote:
Catching up, here; just want to say, first and foremost, congratulations to Kyle on the new grandkid, and to Nick for Baby von Guggenheim and joining the rest of the club on never sleeping again.

Yay for Ross. This will be interesting. Baez and Yimi both made the roster and the last spot in the BP is between Coleman and Avilan. Duh? There's a question? 

#366 [url]

Apr 1 16 3:22 PM

Matthew wrote:

Thanks!  What is sleep?

#367 [url]

Apr 1 16 4:48 PM

I like the choice of Stripling. Crossing fingers that he can relax and slow the game down and show to everyone why he got the gig.

Is there any question as to who should be the choice of the final roster spot between Coleman and Avilan? Maybe I am missing something, but Coleman seems heads and shoulders (especially with Avilan having a confidence issue) to be in the bullpen over Avilan. Seeing that Avilan has an option and Coleman may not (anyone know?) is another reason.

#368 [url]

Apr 1 16 4:49 PM

Matthew wrote:
Oh yeah, just to give enough notice: since you won it last year, Jerry, Monday's game thread is all yours.
Thanks for the heads up.  Had no clue.

Matthew, hope your health issue is better, and you are doing well.

Just got back from Arizona a couple of hours ago.  It had been a long time since making a driving trip of that distance (18 hours.)  We drove out in three days, an easy six hour/day drive.  Decided to make the return in two days.  After 31 days of no rain in AZ, ran into steady rain most of the second day of our drive.  Stupidly decided to take the Austin route over the San Antonio/Houston route today and paid for the saved 50 miles with colossal traffic jams in the bad weather in Austin.

#369 [url]

Apr 1 16 5:41 PM

True2DaBlue wrote:
I like the choice of Stripling. Crossing fingers that he can relax and slow the game down and show to everyone why he got the gig.

Is there any question as to who should be the choice of the final roster spot between Coleman and Avilan? Maybe I am missing something, but Coleman seems heads and shoulders (especially with Avilan having a confidence issue) to be in the bullpen over Avilan. Seeing that Avilan has an option and Coleman may not (anyone know?) is another reason.

Correct. Coleman out of options and Avilan isn't. 

#370 [url]

Apr 1 16 8:50 PM

Have fun in Phoenix, Zack. You jackass.

Remove this ad

#371 [url]

Apr 2 16 7:59 AM

True2DaBlue wrote:

I like Stripling as the choice for the 5th spot too. If he can just pitch reasonably close to his potential, I think he could be the solution there.

I think Coleman has to be the last bullpen guy. Avilan has been bad this Spring and there are enough other shaky guys in the pen that we don't need to include Avilan.

I also hope the offense will pick up once the season starts. Also, I hope Roberts utilizes platoons, especially in the OF. I think SVS should start over CC in LF and Kike over Joc in CF when there's a lefty on the mound.

Hopefully, Kendrick and Grandal's injuries aren't too serious and they are back sooner than later.

#372 [url]

Apr 2 16 8:56 AM

I'm seeing a very mediocre team, but the NL West is pathetic enough that 83 wins could win it. Frankly I'll be shocked if this team wins more than 85.

#373 [url]

Apr 2 16 9:58 AM

On another note, the Guerrero situation is confusing to me.  Last year, the team believed his defense at 3b was so bad that they moved him to LF mid-season, permanently.  This year, the team believes his defense in LF is so bad that they've moved him to 3b in Spring Training, permanently.  He's DL'd for now, but clearly won't be forever.  At this point I'm not really sure what a Guerrero is (besides a DH).

#375 [url]

Apr 2 16 10:26 AM

Throwdeuce wrote:
I'm seeing a very mediocre team, but the NL West is pathetic enough that 83 wins could win it. Frankly I'll be shocked if this team wins more than 85.

I think you are underrating the talent on the roster. Reality is, most teams are going to go through injuries like the Dodgers have sustained early on throughout the course of a season. The difference for the Dodgers is they have a lot of depth with which to sustain injuries while other teams will likely be affected more.

I'm not saying the Dodgers are going to be the best team in the NL, but I do think they will win at least 90 games and win the NL West.

Like you pointed out, the NL West won't be particularly strong this season so I expect the Dodgers to do well within the division. The key, to me, is probably Roberts using the depth of the roster wisely to get veteran players more rest this year to hopefully prevent serious injuries caused by wear and tear.

For example, AGon should be sitting more and SVS playing more at 1B. AJ Ellis should get more time to spell Grandal. Give Utley a decent amount of ABs at 3B to spell Justin Turner, ect.

I want to see Roberts utilize platoons more this year to give starters more rest so they get injured less and are hopefully more fresh for the postseason. 

#376 [url]

Apr 2 16 12:09 PM

I'm not concerned that much with the everyday players and that depth, but the pitching, has a bunch of number 4 and 5's outside of Kershaw and maybe Maeda. And the pen isn't looking as good as I hoped, Hatcher looks as bad as he did before August, Howell looks like he should retire and Garcia and Baez are inconsistent. Hopefully they can all be better in regular season, because they will be used al it as starters will be lucky to get to the 6th inning most games.

#377 [url]

Apr 2 16 1:37 PM

Throwdeuce wrote:
I'm not concerned that much with the everyday players and that depth, but the pitching, has a bunch of number 4 and 5's outside of Kershaw and maybe Maeda. And the pen isn't looking as good as I hoped, Hatcher looks as bad as he did before August, Howell looks like he should retire and Garcia and Baez are inconsistent. Hopefully they can all be better in regular season, because they will be used al it as starters will be lucky to get to the 6th inning most games.

Seems like every spring the Dodger starters are the least stretched out to begin the season. If you look around the league during spring, you'll see most teams have a quicker innings acceleration routine than the Dodgers. Our guys will be going 2 or 3 innings while everyone else is going 4 or 5, etc. so the BP is taxed to start the year. This must be a Honeycutt thing because he's the only constant. Kershaw is the exception because I believe he controls his own thing.

#378 [url]

Apr 2 16 1:52 PM

Throwdeuce wrote:
Kazmir, if healthy, has #2 upside.  Maeda and Wood have 2/3 upside. Ryu and McCarthy have 2 upside.  Not sure I agree with you.  And that's not including the kids.

Last Edited By: Doppel Von Guggenheim Apr 2 16 1:55 PM. Edited 1 time.

#379 [url]

Apr 2 16 4:14 PM

Throwdeuce wrote:
Dodgers just signed Dale Thayer to a minor league contract.  He could offer some bullpen depth if others falter.  The 2014 version was pretty good, so it's a low risk deal.

I share many of your concerns and am a bit worried about the run scoring ability.

#380 [url]

Apr 2 16 4:43 PM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
Throwdeuce wrote:
Kazmir, if healthy, has #2 upside.  Maeda and Wood have 2/3 upside. Ryu and McCarthy have 2 upside.  Not sure I agree with you.  And that's not including the kids.

Kazmir can have number 2 stuff any given start, but overall he's a four, same with Wood, Maeda may get to a point of a number 2, and who knows what the merry go round at 5 will be, but as long as it's average, then that's fine. The Dodgers will win or lose the division based on what the 2-4 starters and how the pen do those games. Just thinking it's going to be mid 80's at best, not in the 90's.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help