Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Feb 22 16 11:46 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Trying to catch up. Don't have one clue why Loria and Co. think that zero facial hair equates more wins. Love the pictures of the boys and Ryu looks freakin' skinny. Don't know what to think on that, I liked the rounder Ryu but if he can give us 150 - 170 innings, I am good. Looks like Panda had the "Seeing my Feet is not Important" Diet. Geez, money poorly spent John Henry? I read that it looked like Puig lost more than the reported fifteen to twenty pounds, so this is good. I find it shocking that the media portrays the Dodgers as undisciplined and full of hate for each other when it seems that every player comes in to camp in great shape and there seems to be an air of fun with this team. Can't say that about the Red Sox or Cubs. I like Joe Maddon, but this annointing the Cubs as great seems to overlook that a lot of these players were first or second year guys and the pitching is still questionable. Sure, Lackey, Lester and Arrieta could be great, but age is a factor and I just think that Arrieta will never come even close to 2015.
Well you do have to wonder if O'Malley still owned the Dodgers if there no beard policy would be in place.

  

Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Feb 22 16 1:05 PM

The Dodgers 2016 payroll burden includes: 

Michael Morse $8.5 million
Hector Olivera $4,666,666
Bronson Aroyo $4.5 Million
Matt Kemp $3.5 million
Joel Peralta $2.5 million

They also have $6.5 million in the minors which counts against the cap for Arrubarrena and Jordan Shaffer.

Dodgers total adjusted 2016 cap is $248,321,662 according to Sportrac.


#23 [url]

Feb 22 16 1:08 PM

beefchopper wrote:
The Dodgers 2016 payroll burden includes: 
Michael Morse $8.5 million
Hector Olivera $4,666,666
Bronson Aroyo $4.5 Million
Matt Kemp $3.5 million
Joel Peralta $2.5 million

They also have $6.5 million in the minors which counts against the cap for Arrubarrena and Jordan Shaffer.

Dodgers total adjusted 2016 cap is $248,321,662 according to Sportrac.


I believe they received money to cover most, if not all, of Arroyo's salary from the Braves.

Same goes for Mike Morse, I believe, when they traded him.

Are you sure they are still paying for Olivera? Is that deferred money toward his signing bonus? 

#24 [url]

Feb 22 16 1:13 PM

I do not know much about beards and stuff on baseball guys but I do not see the problem. My dad tried to keep my brothers from growing mustaches and beards and they still did it even though my dad thought that beards and mustaches were only for troublemakers and losers. I think because he could not grow a mustache was the problem. He did not have much hair to begin with. I always remember him being bald and that he only shaved once a week. Us kids took after mom's side of the family and are furry devils. I remember him losing his shit after my sisters left a crapload of hair in the bathtub after shaving their legs. He could never figure out that most of the time us girls spent in the bathroom was to not look like Yetis.

I see that Chris is now in baseball mode. He got a bunch of books and stuff for baseball and he and Paula were skyping about the team in Miami. The kids got season tickets because Paula loves baseball and Thierry loves Paula. She hopes the new baby will be ready for baseball games by summer. She has already got her a bunch of the Miami team's onesies and stuff. Talking about baseball, Pointy and the Boy plan to go to Arizona for a week in March. I think Domi is going to go with them to make sure they stay out of jail. I asked Chris if he wanted to go to Arizona next month and he said we will be spending more time in Miami waiting for Paula to have her baby. He is going to be worse than most new dads.

#25 [url]

Feb 22 16 1:17 PM

DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
The Dodgers 2016 payroll burden includes: 
Michael Morse $8.5 million
Hector Olivera $4,666,666
Bronson Aroyo $4.5 Million
Matt Kemp $3.5 million
Joel Peralta $2.5 million

They also have $6.5 million in the minors which counts against the cap for Arrubarrena and Jordan Shaffer.

Dodgers total adjusted 2016 cap is $248,321,662 according to Sportrac.


I believe they received money to cover most, if not all, of Arroyo's salary from the Braves.

Same goes for Mike Morse, I believe, when they traded him.

Are you sure they are still paying for Olivera? Is that deferred money toward his signing bonus? 

I'm not in any position to be sure of anything.  I just posted what Sportrac is listing in their detailed rundowns for every team.  According to them, whether or not we're getting any of that back it is what is being charged to the Dodgers 2016 cap:  http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-dodgers/payroll/

#26 [url]

Feb 22 16 1:29 PM

beefchopper wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
The Dodgers 2016 payroll burden includes: 
Michael Morse $8.5 million
Hector Olivera $4,666,666
Bronson Aroyo $4.5 Million
Matt Kemp $3.5 million
Joel Peralta $2.5 million

They also have $6.5 million in the minors which counts against the cap for Arrubarrena and Jordan Shaffer.

Dodgers total adjusted 2016 cap is $248,321,662 according to Sportrac.


I believe they received money to cover most, if not all, of Arroyo's salary from the Braves.

Same goes for Mike Morse, I believe, when they traded him.

Are you sure they are still paying for Olivera? Is that deferred money toward his signing bonus? 

I'm not in any position to be sure of anything.  I just posted what Sportrac is listing in their detailed rundowns for every team.  According to them, whether or not we're getting any of that back it is what is being charged to the Dodgers 2016 cap:  http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-dodgers/payroll/


Cot's Baseball Contracts also has $8.5 million charged to the Dodgers for Morse but doesn't have Arroyo on their list.  They show the dodgers cap total for 2016 currently to be $243,071,668.

#27 [url]

Feb 22 16 1:30 PM

beefchopper wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
The Dodgers 2016 payroll burden includes: 
Michael Morse $8.5 million
Hector Olivera $4,666,666
Bronson Aroyo $4.5 Million
Matt Kemp $3.5 million
Joel Peralta $2.5 million

They also have $6.5 million in the minors which counts against the cap for Arrubarrena and Jordan Shaffer.

Dodgers total adjusted 2016 cap is $248,321,662 according to Sportrac.


I believe they received money to cover most, if not all, of Arroyo's salary from the Braves.

Same goes for Mike Morse, I believe, when they traded him.

Are you sure they are still paying for Olivera? Is that deferred money toward his signing bonus? 

I'm not in any position to be sure of anything.  I just posted what Sportrac is listing in their detailed rundowns for every team.  According to them, whether or not we're getting any of that back it is what is being charged to the Dodgers 2016 cap:  http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-dodgers/payroll/


The only contracts we are paying for to play for other teams is Mike Morse ($8.5 million) and Matt Kemp $(3.5 million).   We bought out Peralta's option and Arruebarrena is paid $1.5 million per year while in minors as is Brandon Beachy, but I do not think either is factored into the ML salary.   We owe nothing to Olivera as we paid the $26 million bonus last year as part of the deal to send him to Atlanta.    I read Sportrac's listing and it seems they have some mistakes - Kazmir is only getting $3 million for this year unless he opts out, then he gets the remaining $13 million.   They also have Kendrick figured at $10 million, when half his salary is deferred.   Add in that some of the contracts are not guaranteed and you could see a significant decrease in payroll.   I believe that Tabata, Coleman, Beachy and Arruebarena don't count against the cap until they are on the ML roster.  I am still standing by $215 million by opening day.   Guerrero is likely gone and I think we make a trade to lose part of a salary before opening day (likely Crawford, even if the savings are only likely around $5 million).  

#30 [url]

Feb 22 16 2:17 PM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
Here's the link to Cot's payroll analysis FWIW: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a-yEinFNc24xoTlGAH-S_1DRsZuGtx1yZOXsBpWNuSU/pub?output=html

Can you think of a better way to spend $13M than Arby and Guerrero?  Umm, I can.  Obviously, can't win if you don't play the game, but those were two bad misses.
I'm sure there will be other bad misses among all those prospects the Dodgers sprayed money at this winter but hopefully there will be a few gems too.  Time will tell.

Remove this ad

#32 [url]

Feb 22 16 2:41 PM

Throwdeuce wrote:
bigblaster wrote:
derrickm wrote:


Not sure how I feel about those new spring training hats. I can't decide if I like them or not. I think I need to see one in person. Definitely "different" from seeing our traditional "LA" logo.

I know how I feel about them.  Gag.  Even the Jints and YankMes did a variation with their own logos.
I'm thinking the Dodgers (along with all teams) didn't have much say, and this was MLB/New ERA doing with all the ST hats to make some extra cash.

  
Isn't that the motivation for pretty much everything in MLB?  Although, I have liked some of the ST hats in the recent past.  But this one... woof.

#33 [url]

Feb 22 16 3:43 PM

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
Here's the link to Cot's payroll analysis FWIW: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a-yEinFNc24xoTlGAH-S_1DRsZuGtx1yZOXsBpWNuSU/pub?output=html

Can you think of a better way to spend $13M than Arby and Guerrero?  Umm, I can.  Obviously, can't win if you don't play the game, but those were two bad misses.

Yeah, Arruebarrena and Guerrero were kind of by-products of initial overspending once the Guggies became owners and opened up their coffers of limitless money.

I would put Ethier's extension into that category as well.

Then again, you could say Puig and Urias were other signings made during that time that weren't bad.

The Guggies spent big in the short term I guess to kind of make up for the thriftiness of McCourt the last couple years he had the team (especially in the international market).

#34 [url]

Feb 22 16 4:39 PM

DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
Here's the link to Cot's payroll analysis FWIW: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a-yEinFNc24xoTlGAH-S_1DRsZuGtx1yZOXsBpWNuSU/pub?output=html

Can you think of a better way to spend $13M than Arby and Guerrero?  Umm, I can.  Obviously, can't win if you don't play the game, but those were two bad misses.

Yeah, Arruebarrena and Guerrero were kind of by-products of initial overspending once the Guggies became owners and opened up their coffers of limitless money.

I would put Ethier's extension into that category as well.

Then again, you could say Puig and Urias were other signings made during that time that weren't bad.

The Guggies spent big in the short term I guess to kind of make up for the thriftiness of McCourt the last couple years he had the team (especially in the international market).

There will always be mistakes,  Omar Moreno, Jr comes to mind quickly, along with Joel Guzman.   The Giants have made two monster mistakes on the International Market over the last ten years with Angel Villalona ($2.1 million in 2007) and Rafael Rodriguez ($2.55 million in 2008).   No team can say they have hit it with each and every big signing.   As long as you can counter the bad moves with some below the radar signings, it works out.    We have come up aces with Kenley Jansen, Yimi Garcia and up and coming Johan Mieses and Angel German, who could be top ten prospects by 2017.  

#35 [url]

Feb 22 16 4:48 PM

Mike quit his day job to work full time at MLB.com.  His work at Dodgers Digest (and formerly MSTI and here) will certainly be missed.  Some of the best Dodgers writing on the Intarwebz.  Congrats, Mike.

#37 [url]

Feb 22 16 7:36 PM

monsooner wrote:
Throwdeuce wrote:
bigblaster wrote:

I know how I feel about them.  Gag.  Even the Jints and YankMes did a variation with their own logos.
I'm thinking the Dodgers (along with all teams) didn't have much say, and this was MLB/New ERA doing with all the ST hats to make some extra cash.

  
Isn't that the motivation for pretty much everything in MLB?  Although, I have liked some of the ST hats in the recent past.  But this one... woof.


I'm worrying about how the new Rams uniforms will look.  I simply don't need this additional stress. smiley: pimp

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

#38 [url]

Feb 22 16 7:46 PM

...and this lightly-reported factoid: Now that Emirates has become the "Official Airlines of the Los Angeles Dodgers", Friedman has reportedly dispatched a large contingent of scouts throughout Dubai and the Middle East, to sweep up any possible prospects... as the Dodger Plan for World Domination continues it's march... Bwahahaha! (cue the Dr. Evil laugh)...

#39 [url]

Feb 22 16 9:10 PM

bigblaster wrote:
Your 2016 Dodgers Spring Training Pic of the Day:

image

Looks like Puig lost more than twenty lbs.    Geez, one might even call him thin.  

#40 [url]

Feb 23 16 3:40 AM

monsooner wrote:
Throwdeuce wrote:
bigblaster wrote:

I know how I feel about them.  Gag.  Even the Jints and YankMes did a variation with their own logos.
I'm thinking the Dodgers (along with all teams) didn't have much say, and this was MLB/New ERA doing with all the ST hats to make some extra cash.

  
Isn't that the motivation for pretty much everything in MLB?  Although, I have liked some of the ST hats in the recent past.  But this one... woof.

Heading to Camelback for the month of March, and I can guarantee that I won't be buying that D logo cap.  It looks like when I was in Little League and if you played for the Yankees your cap had a Y and if you played for the Cubs it had a C (NOT for Chicago), etc.  In these parts it would probably be mistaken for a Dallas Cowboys cap.  I've got dozens of LA caps and a few B for Brooklyn caps, but won't be adding the D cap to my collection.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help