Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Feb 23 16 5:43 AM

Zaidi says the team has no problem with Andre Ethier's upcoming 5+10 no trade rights, calling Andre an "important and productive part" of the team.

Thank you.

Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Feb 23 16 6:36 AM

WildHare wrote:
Zaidi says the team has no problem with Andre Ethier's upcoming 5+10 no trade rights, calling Andre an "important and productive part" of the team.

Thank you.
Always the last thing they say before trading a guy or firing the manager.   I will believe it when Andre is patrolling left field for the Dodgers in the middle of April.  

#43 [url]

Feb 23 16 8:12 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:

Can you think of a better way to spend $13M than Arby and Guerrero?  Umm, I can.  Obviously, can't win if you don't play the game, but those were two bad misses.

Yeah, Arruebarrena and Guerrero were kind of by-products of initial overspending once the Guggies became owners and opened up their coffers of limitless money.

I would put Ethier's extension into that category as well.

Then again, you could say Puig and Urias were other signings made during that time that weren't bad.

The Guggies spent big in the short term I guess to kind of make up for the thriftiness of McCourt the last couple years he had the team (especially in the international market).

There will always be mistakes,  Omar Moreno, Jr comes to mind quickly, along with Joel Guzman.   The Giants have made two monster mistakes on the International Market over the last ten years with Angel Villalona ($2.1 million in 2007) and Rafael Rodriguez ($2.55 million in 2008).   No team can say they have hit it with each and every big signing.   As long as you can counter the bad moves with some below the radar signings, it works out.    We have come up aces with Kenley Jansen, Yimi Garcia and up and coming Johan Mieses and Angel German, who could be top ten prospects by 2017.  

I agree that there will be mistakes, but the Dodgers laid out some significant money for Guerrero and Arruebarrena and likely will get very minimal return on each.

The Dodgers under the Guggies have shown they are not afraid to throw big money at international players that are unknown commodities.

I think Friedman and company are doing it more due to the fact that the next CBA will likely try to incorporate an international draft and put an end to the type of overspending the Dodgers have done in this cycle.

#44 [url]

Feb 23 16 11:31 AM

derrickm wrote:

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:http://dodgersphotog.mlblogs.com/2016/02/20/22016-something-current-pitchers-and-catchers-first-workout-by-jon-soohoola-dodgers/

Love these photos from Soohoo. I have to say, Ryu looks good. I don't always buy into the "best shape of my life" BS, but I like it for a guy coming off an injury.

Not sure how I feel about those new spring training hats. I can't decide if I like them or not. I think I need to see one in person. Definitely "different" from seeing our traditional "LA" logo.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the hats.  Beyond the fact that I just don't like the look of the D aesthetically, it's also a balance thing.  I like the balance of the city name on the hat, with the team name on the uniforms.  Putting the team name on both the hat and uniform feels redundant.  And, yeah, I get that both the hat and uniform says L.A. during road games, but in that case, I get it, because road uniforms are kind of supposed to represent the city.  This, though, just feels awkward.  If it ain't broken...

#46 [url]

Feb 23 16 12:42 PM

DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:

Yeah, Arruebarrena and Guerrero were kind of by-products of initial overspending once the Guggies became owners and opened up their coffers of limitless money.

I would put Ethier's extension into that category as well.

Then again, you could say Puig and Urias were other signings made during that time that weren't bad.

The Guggies spent big in the short term I guess to kind of make up for the thriftiness of McCourt the last couple years he had the team (especially in the international market).

There will always be mistakes,  Omar Moreno, Jr comes to mind quickly, along with Joel Guzman.   The Giants have made two monster mistakes on the International Market over the last ten years with Angel Villalona ($2.1 million in 2007) and Rafael Rodriguez ($2.55 million in 2008).   No team can say they have hit it with each and every big signing.   As long as you can counter the bad moves with some below the radar signings, it works out.    We have come up aces with Kenley Jansen, Yimi Garcia and up and coming Johan Mieses and Angel German, who could be top ten prospects by 2017.  

I agree that there will be mistakes, but the Dodgers laid out some significant money for Guerrero and Arruebarrena and likely will get very minimal return on each.

The Dodgers under the Guggies have shown they are not afraid to throw big money at international players that are unknown commodities.

I think Friedman and company are doing it more due to the fact that the next CBA will likely try to incorporate an international draft and put an end to the type of overspending the Dodgers have done in this cycle.
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't trying to spark a debate about international spending.  I'm all for these young kids, because they don't affect the ML roster, but we've handed out quite a few ML deals that have busted ... but that's the game and I get it.

#47 [url]

Feb 23 16 12:43 PM

Matthew wrote:
derrickm wrote:

Doppel Von Guggenheim wrote:http://dodgersphotog.mlblogs.com/2016/02/20/22016-something-current-pitchers-and-catchers-first-workout-by-jon-soohoola-dodgers/

Love these photos from Soohoo. I have to say, Ryu looks good. I don't always buy into the "best shape of my life" BS, but I like it for a guy coming off an injury.

Not sure how I feel about those new spring training hats. I can't decide if I like them or not. I think I need to see one in person. Definitely "different" from seeing our traditional "LA" logo.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the hats.  Beyond the fact that I just don't like the look of the D aesthetically, it's also a balance thing.  I like the balance of the city name on the hat, with the team name on the uniforms.  Putting the team name on both the hat and uniform feels redundant.  And, yeah, I get that both the hat and uniform says L.A. during road games, but in that case, I get it, because road uniforms are kind of supposed to represent the city.  This, though, just feels awkward.  If it ain't broken...

In the last 2 years, I think they've worn their "alternate" road jersey that says Dodgers more than the ones that say Los Angeles.

Actually what I would like to see is the Dodgers on the logo match with what's on the uniform. The logo one has a much nicer S at the end of Dodgers than the uniform IMO. It's always bothered me that they're different.

#48 [url]

Feb 23 16 12:51 PM

Matthew wrote:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Lazarito bombshell: U.S. agent drops him after death threat. Story with @jonmorosi:... http://fb.me/2tFgn1rcO
Crazy.  Offering food and shelter to a kid and his family for a year or two in exchange for what could be a $5-6M commission?  And now it sounds like he's being held hostage?  What a horrible scam.

Sounds like this "buscon" wants get paid now instead of waiting for July 2.

#50 [url]

Feb 23 16 6:21 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
WildHare wrote:

Thank you.
Always the last thing they say before trading a guy or firing the manager.   I will believe it when Andre is patrolling left field for the Dodgers in the middle of April.  

Yeah, I know all about the dreaded vote of confidence, but who would rate as an upgrade over Ethier?  Crawford?  SVS?  Fowler, even ignoring the lost draft pick?  Don't think so!

Throw out 2014 when Torre, Jr. totally misused him, and Ethier has consistently put more than solid seasons together year after year.  Maybe Zaidi is only trying to build value, but I see a lot of pluses with Ethier.  I don't have a problem having him in mostly a platoon role, because he will still get most of the starts as a lefty hitter.  I don't believe in slamming a guy because he is perceived as overpaid.  How many of us every turned down a hefty raise?  Short line, I'm betting.  smiley: smile

Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Feb 23 16 7:08 PM

WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
WildHare wrote:

Thank you.

Yeah, I know all about the dreaded vote of confidence, but who would rate as an upgrade over Ethier?  Crawford?  SVS?  Fowler, even ignoring the lost draft pick?  Don't think so!

Throw out 2014 when Torre, Jr. totally misused him, and Ethier has consistently put more than solid seasons together year after year.  Maybe Zaidi is only trying to build value, but I see a lot of pluses with Ethier.  I don't have a problem having him in mostly a platoon role, because he will still get most of the starts as a lefty hitter.  I don't believe in slamming a guy because he is perceived as overpaid.  How many of us every turned down a hefty raise?  Short line, I'm betting.  smiley: smile

None of the above.   But, until they can unload Crawford, Ethier has to look over his shoulder because he is still worth 75% of his contract and Crawford comes in at ten percent.    I doubt that Zaidi moves him but I hate when GM's make statements like that because it is like a kiss of death.  

#52 [url]

Feb 24 16 6:40 AM

Dodgers To Sign Jamey Wright To Minors Contract
By Mark Polishuk | February 24, 2016 at 8:29am CST

The Dodgers have signed veteran right-hander Jamey Wright to a minor league deal, MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick reports (Twitter link). The contract contains an invitation to the team’s Major League spring camp. Wright is represented by Excel Sports Management.

Where is Tomko's phone number?

#53 [url]

Feb 24 16 7:38 AM

beefchopper wrote:
Dodgers To Sign Jamey Wright To Minors Contract
By Mark Polishuk | February 24, 2016 at 8:29am CST

The Dodgers have signed veteran right-hander Jamey Wright to a minor league deal, MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick reports (Twitter link). The contract contains an invitation to the team’s Major League spring camp. Wright is represented by Excel Sports Management.

Where is Tomko's phone number?
Tomko sucks.

#54 [url]

Feb 24 16 10:20 AM

Matthew wrote:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Lazarito bombshell: U.S. agent drops him after death threat. Story with @jonmorosi:... http://fb.me/2tFgn1rcO
Crazy.  Offering food and shelter to a kid and his family for a year or two in exchange for what could be a $5-6M commission?  And now it sounds like he's being held hostage?  What a horrible scam.

Sounds like this "buscon" wants get paid now instead of waiting for July 2.

These are like cartel loser trash people. Only way to deal with them is to put a bullet in their head and leave them in a ditch down there.

#55 [url]

Feb 24 16 1:22 PM

This was pulled from a Boston Globe article apparently:
---
Don’t be shocked if the Dodgers part ways with Carl Crawford and eat the remaining $42 million on his contract. There comes a point of diminishing returns — and a time to fill his roster spot with a younger, more productive player — and it seems the Dodgers are getting closer to that point. -Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe
---

Couldn't agree more. Although, I would guess that move would happen soon or should have already happened. Is Carl in camp? I totally understand making mistakes (Guerrero) or eating $$$ to acquire talent (CC, although I thought his cost was too high), but you can't let those decisions weigh you down. I'm all for CC and Guerrero being allowed to compete in ST, but if we can't move them and they don't earn a spot on our 25-man, they should be released.

#56 [url]

Feb 24 16 2:32 PM

---
Don’t be shocked if the Dodgers part ways with Carl Crawford and eat the remaining $42 million on his contract. There comes a point of diminishing returns — and a time to fill his roster spot with a younger, more productive player — and it seems the Dodgers are getting closer to that point. -Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe
---

Couldn't agree more. Although, I would guess that move would happen soon or should have already happened. Is Carl in camp? I totally understand making mistakes (Guerrero) or eating $$$ to acquire talent (CC, although I thought his cost was too high), but you can't let those decisions weigh you down. I'm all for CC and Guerrero being allowed to compete in ST, but if we can't move them and they don't earn a spot on our 25-man, they should be released.
So, I guess tomorrow (Thurs 2/25) is mandatory reporting day for all players?

If that's the case, what I heard last night on SNLA Dodger Access show, there are FOUR players that had not reported yet of last night. I only caught two of the names. The two were Ethier and Crawford that hadn't shown up yet.

Seems like everyone else is there early. Too bad Crawford (and Ethier and the other 2) missed the memo on showing up early and proving you deserve playing time. I understand that you don't have to show up until the reporting date. But, how does that look to your other teammates when you stroll in when everyone else decided to join the team early? Then again, they may have had their own reasons. If not though, weak.

#57 [url]

Feb 24 16 3:03 PM

I could be wrong, but I could have sworn I've seen pictures of Ethier taking batting practice at Camelback over the past couple of days.

#58 [url]

Feb 24 16 3:29 PM

Matthew wrote:
I could be wrong, but I could have sworn I've seen pictures of Ethier taking batting practice at Camelback over the past couple of days.
I think you have him confused with his evil twin Aaron Ethier.

Los Angeles Dodgers Andre Ethier hits off the tee with Assistant Hitting Coach Tim Hyers prior to workout Wednesday, February 24,2016 at Camelback Ranch-Glendale in Phoenix, Arizona.

#59 [url]

Feb 24 16 3:36 PM

ocmike24 wrote:
Matthew wrote:
I think you have him confused with his evil twin Aaron Ethier.

Los Angeles Dodgers Andre Ethier hits off the tee with Assistant Hitting Coach Tim Hyers prior to workout Wednesday, February 24,2016 at Camelback Ranch-Glendale in Phoenix, Arizona.
Hopefully Aaron hits lefties better than his slacking brother, Andre!

I think it was Alanna Rizzo that mentioned the 4 position players that hadn't shown up as of yesterday. I guess she's got some splainin' to do!

#60 [url]

Feb 24 16 3:38 PM

True2DaBlue wrote:
---
---

So, I guess tomorrow (Thurs 2/25) is mandatory reporting day for all players?

If that's the case, what I heard last night on SNLA Dodger Access show, there are FOUR players that had not reported yet of last night. I only caught two of the names. The two were Ethier and Crawford that hadn't shown up yet.

Seems like everyone else is there early. Too bad Crawford (and Ethier and the other 2) missed the memo on showing up early and proving you deserve playing time. I understand that you don't have to show up until the reporting date. But, how does that look to your other teammates when you stroll in when everyone else decided to join the team early? Then again, they may have had their own reasons. If not though, weak.

If you check Jon Soo Hoo's photo site, you will see Ethier in camp as far back as at least 2/22 and again today.  Sounds like an unfounded rumor.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help