Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 3 16 11:07 AM

Tags : :

Forget worrying about October--let's just make it through April without more injuries.  That aside, for the last season:

"It's TIME for Dodger Baseball!!"

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Apr 3 16 7:05 PM

I spoke to him, a couple of years ago, when he and his wife came into my store. What a gracious, genuinely nice man.

#5 [url]

Apr 4 16 10:46 AM

WildHare wrote:
Apparently Yuku is deleting posts. Started a 2016 Game Thread and now it's gone.

I see Yuku is in mid-season form, today.  For the record, when this happens, the posts will generally come back, so they're not permanently deleted.  It's stupid, I know, but they usually re-appear.

#6 [url]

Apr 4 16 1:31 PM

Milw is getting shelled in their opener against the hated ones... guess that can be expected when your opening day starter poster a 4+ ERA last year and your relief corps include capuano. I dont follow much of the other teams, is the Milw pitching staff in such dire need of help?

#7 [url]

Apr 4 16 1:48 PM

UCSB07 wrote:
Milw is getting shelled in their opener against the hated ones... guess that can be expected when your opening day starter poster a 4+ ERA last year and your relief corps include capuano. I dont follow much of the other teams, is the Milw pitching staff in such dire need of help?

They're pretty bad, I can see Brewers, Reds, Phillies, and Braves all losing 100 + games this year. The Padres and Rockies will be in the 90's.

#8 [url]

Apr 5 16 5:25 AM

I know it is only one game, but like I thought when he signed, Greinke is going to miss Yasmani, our defense and pitching in a more neutral enviroment. It looked like Castillo wanted fastballs only and the Snakes are nearly as bad as the Padres on defense, especially without Pollock in center. Lamb looked like he has the same range as Karros and that is a bad thing for a third baseman. Kind of why you don't put too much stock in spring training records.

On our side, the only complaints I had were with AJ Ellis and his pitch framing - I know, it is not something that will change, get well, Yas - and Utley is going to get suspended - the slide at home was borderline dirty. I was fully impressed with Joc, Puig and AGon using the whole field approach. I know it is only one game, but I got a good feeling about Utley having a strong bounceback season and he could cut into Kendrick's playing time. Lastly, it was nice to see Trayce not hit at'em's all day long.

Don't know about tonight's game. 10pm start time for me is going to be easy, 1am for the game to be over will be rough. Just going to have to caffeine-load today and forego eighteen holes. Probably for the best, got in nine holes yesterday and I think I was at 60 before calling it a day. Couldn't hit anything straight and I putted like a blind man. Herself, sore shoulder and all, was at 37 after nine holes, I think she finished at 75. Just ain't fair.

#9 [url]

Apr 5 16 9:42 AM

I only get to watch one game, this week--tomorrow's--due to work schedule. The tradeoff is I will be off to go to the home opener. There are times that retirement is a pleasant idea (I took six weeks off, including the entire month of February, when Linda had a knee replacement revision--she's fine--and I kinda got used to not having to be anywhere) but, financially, the retirement plan is "wait five years, hang on and hope for the best."

#10 [url]

Apr 5 16 10:19 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
I know it is only one game, but like I thought when he signed, Greinke is going to miss Yasmani, our defense and pitching in a more neutral enviroment. It looked like Castillo wanted fastballs only and the Snakes are nearly as bad as the Padres on defense, especially without Pollock in center. Lamb looked like he has the same range as Karros and that is a bad thing for a third baseman. Kind of why you don't put too much stock in spring training records.

On our side, the only complaints I had were with AJ Ellis and his pitch framing - I know, it is not something that will change, get well, Yas - and Utley is going to get suspended - the slide at home was borderline dirty. I was fully impressed with Joc, Puig and AGon using the whole field approach. I know it is only one game, but I got a good feeling about Utley having a strong bounceback season and he could cut into Kendrick's playing time. Lastly, it was nice to see Trayce not hit at'em's all day long.

Don't know about tonight's game. 10pm start time for me is going to be easy, 1am for the game to be over will be rough. Just going to have to caffeine-load today and forego eighteen holes. Probably for the best, got in nine holes yesterday and I think I was at 60 before calling it a day. Couldn't hit anything straight and I putted like a blind man. Herself, sore shoulder and all, was at 37 after nine holes, I think she finished at 75. Just ain't fair.
Yeah, pitching at Chase Field the majority of his starts (vs Chavez Ravine) is going to affect Greinke in a significant way. He had a 0.00 ERA at Chase Field in 2 starts last year, but that's small sample size. The ball travels very well there and the surface is fast and, like you said, the defense behind him has some issues.

I believe he hadn't given up 5 runs in a start since 2010 and got tagged for 7 runs in his first start as a DBack! Gotta say, it was fun to watch.

With Utley and Joc, I just hope they will get platooned. I think facing mostly righties will help them to be productive. Let Kendrick and Kike feast on lefties. 

Puig is the one who impressed me the most last night. Really did a good job of going with the pitch and had some really good ABs. If he continues that approach, he could have a really good bounce back season. 

Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Apr 5 16 11:42 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:

On Utley's slide, he did go out of his way to try to jar the ball loose, as Norris was well forward of the plate.  The big problem with that play was What (TF) was Woodward doing sending him???  The cutoff man had the relay less than 150 feet from home plate as Utley was just touching third.   DRob cut Woodward some slack with his post game comments, but OJT in games that count won't hack it.  He made two other mistakes in NOT sending guys.  On one play, Kemp missed the cutoff man and his throw was a twenty two hopper that rolled to the plate, yet the runner was held.  I saw enough of Woodward in ST to know he has issues.  It's not totally his fault, as he has never coached third base and it IS a skill position, unlike coaching first base where almost every play is advisory, where the play is in front of the base runner.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm euphoric about winning the opener, but these kind of mistakes will bite us in the butt if they're not corrected soon.

#12 [url]

Apr 5 16 3:47 PM

WildHare wrote:

grabarkewitz wrote:I know it is only one game, but like I thought when he signed, Greinke is going to miss Yasmani, our defense and pitching in a more neutral enviroment. It looked like Castillo wanted fastballs only and the Snakes are nearly as bad as the Padres on defense, especially without Pollock in center. Lamb looked like he has the same range as Karros and that is a bad thing for a third baseman. Kind of why you don't put too much stock in spring training records.

On Utley's slide, he did go out of his way to try to jar the ball loose, as Norris was well forward of the plate.  The big problem with that play was What (TF) was Woodward doing sending him???  The cutoff man had the relay less than 150 feet from home plate as Utley was just touching third.   DRob cut Woodward some slack with his post game comments, but OJT in games that count won't hack it.  He made two other mistakes in NOT sending guys.  On one play, Kemp missed the cutoff man and his throw was a twenty two hopper that rolled to the plate, yet the runner was held.  I saw enough of Woodward in ST to know he has issues.  It's not totally his fault, as he has never coached third base and it IS a skill position, unlike coaching first base where almost every play is advisory, where the play is in front of the base runner.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm euphoric about winning the opener, but these kind of mistakes will bite us in the butt if they're not corrected soon.

Yep, the last thing we need is another Bundy. Roenicke is coaching 3B for the Angels so I suspect the FO wanted a cheaper option. 

#13 [url]

Apr 5 16 5:50 PM

WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

True. Woodward had a bad game.    I gave him some slack on Utley, I forgot that Ramirez still has a cannon and it took a perfect throw to get Utley.   It was a reasonable risk.   Holding up (I think it was Puig) the runner at third on Thompson's double irritated me (was that Kemp's throw?).    Still, if this is what we are complaining about, I will take it every game.    The one thing I noticed when I watched the game again, was Roberts talking to Puig after every at bat and looking like he was reaffirming his smarter play.   I cannot remember Mattingdork ever going out of his way to do anything with Puig.   Maybe all Puig needed was a father figure who will listen to him and talk to him like an adult.    If this is the only thing Roberts does right, we are well on our way to the playoffs and World Series because I tend to think that if Puig is playing well, we could be unbeatable.  

#14 [url]

Apr 5 16 6:04 PM

Waiting for the Dodger game and just flipped from the Pirate game to the Snake/Rockie tilt and I thought that yesterday's Snake ensemble was an abomination until I saw tonight's version of eye pain. Geez, did someone's nine year old design those things?

Lamb working on decreasing that range factor. Can you have a minus range factor?

#15 [url]

Apr 6 16 5:05 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

True. Woodward had a bad game.    I gave him some slack on Utley, I forgot that Ramirez still has a cannon and it took a perfect throw to get Utley.   It was a reasonable risk.   Holding up (I think it was Puig) the runner at third on Thompson's double irritated me (was that Kemp's throw?).    Still, if this is what we are complaining about, I will take it every game.    The one thing I noticed when I watched the game again, was Roberts talking to Puig after every at bat and looking like he was reaffirming his smarter play.   I cannot remember Mattingdork ever going out of his way to do anything with Puig.   Maybe all Puig needed was a father figure who will listen to him and talk to him like an adult.    If this is the only thing Roberts does right, we are well on our way to the playoffs and World Series because I tend to think that if Puig is playing well, we could be unbeatable.  

I know it's only two games into the season and all, but the rapport in the dugout and the rooting for each other seems a lot more present than in recent years. Namely, with teammates and Puig. He seems engaged with everyone, joking and listening to teammates and genuinely meshing in well. He and Turner Ward were caught on camera talking and laughing. I don't recall ever seeing McGuire and Puig having much of a connection, never mind one between he and Donny. I know it's a two way street and all. But, it's nice to see the new staff getting the chance trying to teach him and trying to get the most out of him.
His body language is different also. I think Roberts' influence is rubbing off so far.

Like I mentioned, I know it's only 2 games in and all. But, if this is a sample of things to come as far as camaraderie in the dugout, I expect a monster year from Yasiel.

#16 [url]

Apr 6 16 11:51 AM

Its been only 2 games, but I am also like what I've seen of Puig so far this season. He is playing more under control and seems to have improved his fundamentals.

He plays with the hustle and passion of the "Wild Horse" that Vin dubbed him, but with less of the emotion and flair.

I've noticed he is making an effort to try and slide feet first more and also catching the ball with 2 hands in the OF. He also is no longer bat flipping and excessively celebrating like he has done before.

I hope the change in attitude keeps coming and his performance benefits as a result (which seems to have been the case these first 2 games).

#17 [url]

Apr 6 16 12:23 PM

Count me in as pleasantly surprised with Yasiel. Having just seen him in Peoria last week, what I'm seeing on camera is a different player. Credit Sheilds for missing his spot on that shot to center last night, but credit Yasiel for not missing it. And yes, I've also noticed camaraderie unlike what we witnessed last year with him - and with others. Loved the Gatorade bath a couple players gave to Pigpen after his first win. And that smile from Dave...is there a better smile in all of baseball??

#18 [url]

Apr 6 16 3:52 PM

It's a good start but I'm not going to make any declarations about the team just yet. Winning has a way of making people look like best friends. The true test is to see how they react when they lose a few games.

#20 [url]

Apr 6 16 11:56 PM

What odds do you think you could have gotten in Las Vegas if you wanted to bet before the season started that Maeda would hit the first Dodgers homer of 2016?

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help