Remove this ad

#2061 [url]

Oct 18 16 4:59 PM

Tx Dodger wrote:
monsooner wrote:
Well, that sucks. My response to TXDodger didn't post. Think I'll wait till the bugs are fixed.

The Suspense lol!
Ha!  I was just gonna say I agree the team would be better on the field, but you just never know.  I do think the confidence level Chapman has was hit a little bit, just because it's the playoffs, and things are magnified.

And thanks - regarding having me back.  Things are much lighter at playoff time, primarily because we're winning.  :)

Remove this ad

#2062 [url]

Oct 18 16 7:40 PM

Pete rose is such a moron. They need to take him off these post game shows. He contributes boring and looks confused most of the time

#2063 [url]

Oct 18 16 8:48 PM

UCSB07 wrote:
Pete rose is such a moron. They need to take him off these post game shows. He contributes boring and looks confused most of the time

Still awake at almost 1am watching the MLB.   Watched Rose and Thomas act like morons yesterday and had enough.  Now, ARod has the right delivery, smarts and looks to be a hit in this media.   Nothing he says makes me cringe or throw a styrofoam brick at the TV.    Burkhart makes Ravech look like a baseball guru.   All that being said, I will put up with Amsinger being nothing more than a talking head and Reynolds not shutting up because Lowell seems to know his shit, like ARod.  

#2064 [url]

Oct 18 16 8:54 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
UCSB07 wrote:

Still awake at almost 1am watching the MLB.   Watched Rose and Thomas act like morons yesterday and had enough.  Now, ARod has the right delivery, smarts and looks to be a hit in this media.   Nothing he says makes me cringe or throw a styrofoam brick at the TV.    Burkhart makes Ravech look like a baseball guru.   All that being said, I will put up with Amsinger being nothing more than a talking head and Reynolds not shutting up because Lowell seems to know his shit, like ARod.  

I have been surpassed by ARod, really thought he would be the one I couldn't stand.

#2065 [url]

Oct 19 16 5:19 AM

Sounds like Maddon is trying to get into the umpire's heads by squawking about Urias' pick off move. Still gotta get guys on first, Joe, before the move becomes an issue. Just me, but it looks like Joe is putting the cart in front of the horse. That being said, I am trying to restrain my overwhelming confidence in the kid by telling myself he is only twenty but it ain't working. A fresh Urias, a fresh Wood and we still have a rested Baez and Fields in the pen if it becomes a bullpen game. I just hope we can solve Lackey because if I remember correctly, he has some strong history against us. I hope I am wrong about that.

#2067 [url]

Oct 19 16 8:05 AM

So the national sports media has already decided on its baseball story this fall - The Cubs Break the Curse!!! I can tell this is so by simply perusing the various national sports websites and seeing the articles they write, and also by the FoxSports1 amateurs announcing the games, who are in the tank for the Cubs. Go to most national sports websites and read the articles - they're mostly either about the Cubs, some player on the Cubs, or what the Cubs need to do to win. Not too many articles about the Dodgers or from their point of view. For example, on foxsports' MLB page, the first four stories are about the Cubs. Number 5 and 6 finally get to the Dodgers. Try sportsillustrated.com; same thing. ESPN's main MLB page - top two stories about the Cubs. Sporting News MLB, Yahoo MLB, same thing - lead stories are about the Cubs. Of course, these sites also had to report the outcome of the game last night, but I noted that a lot of the embedded video clips on these sites showed the Joe Maddon press conference!

So not only should we be overjoyed at the Dodgers success (so far), but we should also be happy that our beloved Bums are destroying the sports media's chosen story of the season and forcing those hacks to actually write timely stories.

And the above is why I still read Plaschke - at least he's one of the few national guys who writes about the Dodgers!!

#2068 [url]

Oct 19 16 9:13 AM

The Dodgers have the highest payroll in baseball and they really are painted out as the bad guys because mainstream media wants the underdogs to win. Same with the Yankees, Patriots, etc.

We aren't a Little Engine That Could story but neither are the big market Cubs who have been fortunate to get high draft picks and also spent money. A lot of money. They make them out to be like the Royals for Christ's sake.

That said, we are almost a Cinderella here because our team has a lot of flaws but for now we are still wearing the glass slippers. It's weird to have so much money invested in a team but to also feel we are held together by strings when you look at our lack of offensive production, no-name bullpen and a rotation that has no names outside of CK.

It's weird and completely abnormal but you ride what you have even if it's a donkey priced like a thoroughbred. Who cares?

#2069 [url]

Oct 19 16 9:30 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
The Dodgers have the highest payroll in baseball and they really are painted out as the bad guys because mainstream media wants the underdogs to win. Same with the Yankees, Patriots, etc.

We aren't a Little Engine That Could story but neither are the big market Cubs who have been fortunate to get high draft picks and also spent money. A lot of money. They make them out to be like the Royals for Christ's sake.

That said, we are almost a Cinderella here because our team has a lot of flaws but for now we are still wearing the glass slippers. It's weird to have so much money invested in a team but to also feel we are held together by strings when you look at our lack of offensive production, no-name bullpen and a rotation that has no names outside of CK.

It's weird and completely abnormal but you ride what you have even if it's a donkey priced like a thoroughbred. Who cares?
Right.  Who cares.  It couldn't be said better than this:

#2070 [url]

Oct 19 16 10:22 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Sounds like Maddon is trying to get into the umpire's heads by squawking about Urias' pick off move. Still gotta get guys on first, Joe, before the move becomes an issue. Just me, but it looks like Joe is putting the cart in front of the horse. That being said, I am trying to restrain my overwhelming confidence in the kid by telling myself he is only twenty but it ain't working. A fresh Urias, a fresh Wood and we still have a rested Baez and Fields in the pen if it becomes a bullpen game. I just hope we can solve Lackey because if I remember correctly, he has some strong history against us. I hope I am wrong about that.
And don't forget my boy, Stripling.  How cool would it be to see the rookies Urias followed by Stripling, and have them combine for 8 innings of shutout ball?

Yeah, Urias did balk in game 5, picking off Harper.  The right foot came well across the left knee, which is a dead-ringer for a balk.  I don't really see the need to go all public on it, if I'm the manager of the Cubs.  Just alert the 1B ump before the game starts to watch for it, and then play ball.  Whiners.

Remove this ad

#2071 [url]

Oct 19 16 10:25 AM

Shmolnick wrote:
So the national sports media has already decided on its baseball story this fall - The Cubs Break the Curse!!! I can tell this is so by simply perusing the various national sports websites and seeing the articles they write, and also by the FoxSports1 amateurs announcing the games, who are in the tank for the Cubs. Go to most national sports websites and read the articles - they're mostly either about the Cubs, some player on the Cubs, or what the Cubs need to do to win. Not too many articles about the Dodgers or from their point of view. For example, on foxsports' MLB page, the first four stories are about the Cubs. Number 5 and 6 finally get to the Dodgers. Try sportsillustrated.com; same thing. ESPN's main MLB page - top two stories about the Cubs. Sporting News MLB, Yahoo MLB, same thing - lead stories are about the Cubs. Of course, these sites also had to report the outcome of the game last night, but I noted that a lot of the embedded video clips on these sites showed the Joe Maddon press conference!

So not only should we be overjoyed at the Dodgers success (so far), but we should also be happy that our beloved Bums are destroying the sports media's chosen story of the season and forcing those hacks to actually write timely stories.

And the above is why I still read Plaschke - at least he's one of the few national guys who writes about the Dodgers!!
The 2016 Dodgers: Doing their part to keep the Cubs and their fans relevant for at least one more season.

#2072 [url]

Oct 19 16 11:34 AM

It's not a balk anyway. The foot has to go past the pitching rubber, not the leg.

Rule 6.02(a )(1) Comment (Rule 8.05(a) Comment): If a lefthanded
or right-handed pitcher swings his free foot past the
back edge of the pitcher’s rubber, he is required to pitch to the
batter except to throw to second base on a pick-off play

#2073 [url]

Oct 19 16 2:48 PM

derrickm wrote:
It's not a balk anyway. The foot has to go past the pitching rubber, not the leg.

Rule 6.02(a )(1) Comment (Rule 8.05(a) Comment): If a lefthanded
or right-handed pitcher swings his free foot past the
back edge of the pitcher’s rubber, he is required to pitch to the
batter except to throw to second base on a pick-off play

Oh, well that's interesting.  I had always been told it was crossing the leg.  But maybe that was just my pitching coaches giving me a line, so as to not come too close to the real line.

#2074 [url]

Oct 20 16 8:19 AM

Who thinks we've still got a shot?

Obviously, we're in some trouble tonight. If the season numbers have anything to do with the outcome, we're gonna lose tonight.

But Clayton and a rejuvenated Rich Hill go Saturday and Sunday in Chicago. Back-to-back shutouts from them and the bullpen in their last two starts.

Don't lose heart, peeps!!! I don't see the Dodgers going quietly. And you never know - if we steal the game tonight, we're squarely ensconced in the driver's seat.

Go BLUE!

#2075 [url]

Oct 20 16 8:58 AM

monsooner wrote:
Who thinks we've still got a shot?

Obviously, we're in some trouble tonight. If the season numbers have anything to do with the outcome, we're gonna lose tonight.

But Clayton and a rejuvenated Rich Hill go Saturday and Sunday in Chicago. Back-to-back shutouts from them and the bullpen in their last two starts.

Don't lose heart, peeps!!! I don't see the Dodgers going quietly. And you never know - if we steal the game tonight, we're squarely ensconced in the driver's seat.

Go BLUE!

Right.  I think it makes sense to have a lot of confidence in Kershaw in game 6.  If that confidence is not misplaced it comes down to whether we can somehow win tonight or Hill can repeat his performance.  Neither is remotely a lock or even likely but both are a long, long way from being impossible.

#2076 [url]

Oct 20 16 8:58 AM

The Dodgers must all get very fired up for tonight's game. They need that killer instinct to reverse the momentum and crush the spirit out of the Cubs. I hope they've been watching video of bad call on Gonzalez all day.

I fear the outcome however because in my heart of hearts, I believe the Dodgers are still lacking in starting pitching strength. I fear Maeda is done and I fear that the Cubs are now the ones who are all fired up. Honestly, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs win a World Series, but now with the mainstream media AND MLB so obviously in the tank for the Cubs, I am rooting for America's Darlings to blow it in spectacular fashion. Spectacular, psyche-destroying, mainstream media-confounding fashion so that they go another f*g 100+ years without a championship. Screw them.

#2077 [url]

Oct 20 16 11:56 AM

I think the Dodgers are in a tough spot because Maeda isn't any good right now and hasn't been for a few weeks. The wheels basically came off on 9/27 and he has been shit ever since. I think the Dodgers will need to score at least 5-6 runs tonight to win because Maeda will probably do what he has done for awhile which is give up 3-5 runs and be done after 4 innings. He has been terrible. I would have a short hook on him and get Wood in there as soon as it looks weird because it will get bad with the guy unless he magically channels back to where he was. He just looks done for the year.

The Cubs are dangerous and they showed it last night.

#2078 [url]

Oct 20 16 12:18 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
I think the Dodgers are in a tough spot because Maeda isn't any good right now and hasn't been for a few weeks. The wheels basically came off on 9/27 and he has been shit ever since. I think the Dodgers will need to score at least 5-6 runs tonight to win because Maeda will probably do what he has done for awhile which is give up 3-5 runs and be done after 4 innings. He has been terrible. I would have a short hook on him and get Wood in there as soon as it looks weird because it will get bad with the guy unless he magically channels back to where he was. He just looks done for the year.

I would be inclined to start Wood. The cubs have shown the struggle with left handers in the playoffs and when he is on he has been good.

#2079 [url]

Oct 20 16 12:25 PM

Tx Dodger wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

I would be inclined to start Wood. The cubs have shown the struggle with left handers in the playoffs and when he is on he has been good.
Agreed but it is quite a crapshoot as to how sharp he is right now with so much time off.

#2080 [url]

Oct 20 16 1:37 PM

Agree with the very, very short leash, knowing we have Wood in the wings and a well-rested Blanton, Dayton, Fields, and Avilan. Don't blow the whole wad tonight, though. If the Cubs put a whoopin' on both Maeda and Wood for 7 or 8 runs in 3 or 4 innings, I say let up put up 16, only burning a couple arms in the process. Onto Saturday, in that case.

I'm doing my best to mentally prepare myself for a loss tonight. I don't consider tonight a "must win," like I'm sure many do. Just based on the pitching match-up alone, part of keeping my sanity is remembering we have the favorable match-ups in games 6 and 7. Doesn't matter to me they're on the road.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help