Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Apr 7 16 7:00 AM

Morning. Even my fingers hurt. Herself dragged me out of comfortable bed so she could have someone to laugh at while we went on a million mile bike ride. Enough of that shit. How 'bout them Blue? Look, I get the Padres are playing for the number one pick in 2017 but they should still win more than seventy games, so taking three at their place and not allowing them to score is a great accomplishment, no matter how Gint fans spin it. Keep in mind, the Brewers are worse, less pitching and Ryan Braun is soon for the glue factory. This will be a fun series. A split is what I expect, but one cannot emphasize how up this Dodger team will be going into Crack Hell. Sounds like both Kendrick and Yas will be back for the home opener - giddiness prevails. Kind of worried about the thought of Culberson or Kike playing third today. Here's hoping Goat *ucker is as bad as he looked in the spring.

Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Apr 7 16 7:07 AM

DSinSoCal wrote:
It's a good start but I'm not going to make any declarations about the team just yet. Winning has a way of making people look like best friends. The true test is to see how they react when they lose a few games.

For sure, you can't make any definitive statements based on 3 games, but the start is very encouraging. I don't care if it is the Padres, holding a team scoreless over 3 straight games is damn impressive. The top 3 of the rotation looked good.

Turner and AGon look like their productive selves from last year, Puig looks more like the healthy version of 2 years ago (without the bat flips) and Seager has had a nice 3 games.

Obviously this team ain't going 162-0, but so far they have shown that its definitely a team that can win a 4th straight NL West crown. They don't even have Grandal or Kendrick back yet. 

#24 [url]

Apr 7 16 7:54 AM

Shmolnick wrote:
I for one would like to see more bat flips from Puig, not fewer.

At the very least, I hope they're on ample display this weekend, against Princess Incest. 

#25 [url]

Apr 7 16 8:05 AM

Olney on Puig:

In the midst of an exhibition game in Arizona, the Texas Rangers ran a pickoff play with Yasiel Puig at second base, successfully. Puig jogged back to the dugout, head down, and what he did not do was go to the end of the bench and emotionally barricade himself from any of the team's staffers.

What Puig did do was go directly to Dave Roberts, put a hand on the shoulder of the new Los Angeles Dodgers manager and tell him, in so many words: That was my fault, and it'll never happen again.

Given all that has transpired in Puig's career, with the baserunning and the fielding and the clubhouse mistakes mixed in with the power and the speed, nobody will ever hold Puig to the impossible standard he set for himself in that moment with Roberts. But it was one indication for those around him, among others, that Puig is clearly trying to evolve as a player and a teammate. He has established a beachhead of change, and time will tell whether this is all temporary and whether Puig will revert to doing the stuff that has bothered others in the clubhouse, including former manager Don Mattingly.

Puig is trying, reaching out to others around him to ask how he can get better. He took to heart his first meeting with Roberts, who initially said this: "Tell me about your family."

The second topic Roberts raised, after family, was accountability, and Roberts talked about how the manager needed to be accountable to his players, and how the players needed to be accountable to their peers. It wasn't long after that that a throw got past first base in an exhibition and Roberts saw Puig hustling to be exactly where he should be, backing up the play, intercepting the ball and preventing the runner from taking more bases.

Teammates have seen him dig into his preparation with new hitting coach Turner Ward and focus in his at-bats early this season in a way he didn't in 2014 or '15. Opposing pitchers feasted on Puig the past couple of years by repeating the same pattern: Get ahead in the count, then coax him to chase pitches out of the zone, which he did time and again. For teammates, it was like watching a sibling ignore his chores of taking out the trash every day. Puig had 94 plate appearances in 2015 in which he fell into a 1-2 count (one ball, two strikes), and thereafter he batted .187 with three walks and three extra-base hits, whiffing in almost 40 percent of his at-bats.

In Monday's opener, Puig fell behind in the count 1-2 in two plate appearances -- and drew a walk and clubbed a triple. On Tuesday, the same thing happened: a walk and a triple after he fell to a 1-2 count. In the first two games of the 2016 season, Puig almost matched his entire walk and extra-base production on that count for all of last year.

His teammates see him working hard; they see the effort; they see the change. There are more tests to come, for him and them. He must handle his early success. He must handle failure. He must continue to show up on time, keep putting in his work.

But it's a start, a good start. Yasiel Puig has had a great spring, says his manager.

#26 [url]

Apr 7 16 8:14 AM

Shmolnick wrote:
I for one would like to see more bat flips from Puig, not fewer.

I think we may see a bat flip here or there or see him admire a HR or two, but I think overall Puig seems to be making a concerted effort to tone down his act.

I think that's a good thing. Better for him to focus on his play on the field rather than looking for instances to showboat.

If he celebrates naturally, that's fine, but he doesn't need to be trying to make himself a spectacle, like he was doing when he first got up to the Dodgers.

#27 [url]

Apr 7 16 9:16 AM

Today will be a test. Traveled late last night, Wood on the mound for a 1:30 PM game... But it's Peavy, so anything can happen. Wish I could watch it live!

#28 [url]

Apr 7 16 11:03 AM

I have a question for fans from L.A. Looking at Time Warner's coverage map, it appears they offer service throughout the Los Angeles metropolitan area. I looked up a number of LA areas (Dodger Stadium, Chino Hills, Malibu, even Solana Beach, etc., and they all TW showed service available in their area. If this is correct, why don't all the fans screaming for TW to compromise on the SportsNetLA charges, just switch to Time Warner and get their Dodger games?

#29 [url]

Apr 7 16 11:20 AM

WildHare wrote:
I have a question for fans from L.A. Looking at Time Warner's coverage map, it appears they offer service throughout the Los Angeles metropolitan area. I looked up a number of LA areas (Dodger Stadium, Chino Hills, Malibu, even Solana Beach, etc., and they all TW showed service available in their area. If this is correct, why don't all the fans screaming for TW to compromise on the SportsNetLA charges, just switch to Time Warner and get their Dodger games?

While I'm lucky enough to live in a TWC area and have it, that map probably is incorrect. I believe only about 30% of the greater LA area has TWC. Now of fans in those areas don't want to switch, then that's on them. Frankly I would be pissed at Direct TV and others for not accepting the latest offer, if I lived in an area that wasn't in the TWC.

#30 [url]

Apr 7 16 11:53 AM

Throwdeuce wrote:
WildHare wrote:

While I'm lucky enough to live in a TWC area and have it, that map probably is incorrect. I believe only about 30% of the greater LA area has TWC. Now of fans in those areas don't want to switch, then that's on them. Frankly I would be pissed at Direct TV and others for not accepting the latest offer, if I lived in an area that wasn't in the TWC.

I am stuck with mlb.tv and so far, this season, they aren't showing any improvement over last year.   I do not know if it is the feed from SNLA or my near third world wi-fi hookup but the freezes are getting persistent.   I am going with SNLA because last night I switched over to FSSD and their broadcast was without hiccups, although I have a death wish for Mark Grant.  Don't want to have to choose Comcast Bay Area this weekend.   TV's cost money and if I have to listen to Krukow and his Trained Chimp, I am tossing some heavy objects through the device.  

Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Apr 7 16 11:59 AM

Throwdeuce wrote:
WildHare wrote:

I also am a TWC customer, so have never had to go through any of this nonsense, starting with the Lakers and then the PAC 12 Network and with this endless stupidity.  I may be incorrect (like Charles Barkley and Fonzie, I'm never wrong), but Direct and Cox and the others lost any sympathy they may have had for their "we're protecting our customers" BS when they rejected the latest TWC overtures without even talking to them about it.

If I was a customer of a provider other than TWC, I would have burned down their headquarters a year ago.

#32 [url]

Apr 7 16 12:04 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Throwdeuce wrote:
WildHare wrote:

I am stuck with mlb.tv and so far, this season, they aren't showing any improvement over last year.   I do not know if it is the feed from SNLA or my near third world wi-fi hookup but the freezes are getting persistent.   I am going with SNLA because last night I switched over to FSSD and their broadcast was without hiccups, although I have a death wish for Mark Grant.  Don't want to have to choose Comcast Bay Area this weekend.   TV's cost money and if I have to listen to Krukow and his Trained Chimp, I am tossing some heavy objects through the device.  
Chris, curious why you don't just go with DirecTV and MLB-Extra Innings?  There were a few Dodger telecasts that were not on, but they almost always have the SportsNetLA feed.   I don't mind paying the extra fee for the Dodger games on EI, plus I watch a lot of other games.  Other than the occasional thunderstorm interruption, service and programming is excellent.  I would still get SportsNetLA through DTV if it were available for the pre- and post-game shows, but it doesn't appear that is likely to happen.

#33 [url]

Apr 7 16 6:04 PM

Orioles telecaster, Gary Thorne, had a nice tip of the hat to birthday boy, Bobby Doerr, the oldest living Hall of Famer. He turned 98 today, and holds the honor of being the oldest living HOF'er ever. Incidentally, our own Tommy Lasorda (89) ranks third on the current list behind Doerr and Red Schoendienst (93).

#34 [url]

Apr 8 16 2:41 PM

Padres prefer Coors/Rockies diet. After scoring 0 runs in 27 innings vs. the Dodgers, they have nine after five in Denver.

#35 [url]

Apr 8 16 8:36 PM

Someone remind me why AJ Ellis is still getting valuable innings on this team (yeah, I know, he is Opie's best bud). He cost Stripling about five pitches because he cannot frame pitches and Hatcher threw two strikes to Brown and both pitchers were called balls because Ellis is worthless. Now, this POS ump decides to fuck Hatcher some more because he can claim Ellis is crap. Time for Ellis to start coaching and let the real catchers take over.

#37 [url]

Apr 8 16 10:30 PM

hagdag26 wrote:
I'd say it's time for Hatchet to not wait until August to stop sucking.

You're both right.  Kellogg was an absolute joke behind the plate tonight, particularly on pitches low, and it only got worse by the 8th inning.  So Hatcher et al. had every right to be pissed off.  Unfortunately, it didn't mean that Hatcher had to then throw a fastball right down the pipe to enable them to tie the game.  A horrific pitch (same with Blanton's) and it just feels like deja vu from last year.  The bullpen has guys like Hatcher who have absolutely incredible stuff, but they either look like 2003 Eric Gagne or... well, 2008 Eric Gagne.  When they lose it, they just shit the bed, badly.  Based on tonight, and from last year, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.  Damn you, Aroldis Chapman.

Regarding Stripling, just an absolutely fantastic outing.  He had everything going against him and to do what he did; incredible.  While I thought Roberts lost his mind with Wood yesterday, I can't argue how he managed that 8th inning.  Stripling had never thrown 100 pitches in his life, add the TJ history, and he was running out of gas pretty quickly.  It sucks, but I got it.  Hopefully we'll see a lot more of him.

#38 [url]

Apr 9 16 1:56 AM

It is hard to have much confidence when the bullpen door opens and once that mentality sets into Robert's mind it can lead to damaging decisions like staying too long with one pitcher or overusing someone in the pen who can actually, dependably get outs. We badly need some reliable arms in the pen or it might undermine Roberts by forcing bad decisions on him.

#39 [url]

Apr 9 16 2:57 AM

In one of the articles available on the Dodgers team page over at espn.com, Doug Padilla begins by writing "In a move that sacrificed the present for the future, ..." This phrase perfectly captures my opinion of our current front office. It's over the top when talking about last night's unsatisfying loss; 99 out of 100 managers would have done what Roberts did, take Stripling out at 100 pitches. But still, good writing.

The problem behind last night's debacle is the bullpen, of course. I remain greatly disappointed by many of the front office's moves since they've running the show, but their complete failure to address the bullpen situation is baffling. Dave Roberts will learn how to manage his starters in time, I have no doubt. But given an unpredictable bullpen (except Jansen; has he pitched yet?), I fear that Roberts will get into bad habits, just to avoid using certain guys. Sound familiar?

I know, it's only four games, short sample size, blah blah. But man, this bullpen just does not look good to me.

#40 [url]

Apr 9 16 8:20 AM

Matthew wrote:
hagdag26 wrote:
I'd say it's time for Hatchet to not wait until August to stop sucking.

You're both right.  Kellogg was an absolute joke behind the plate tonight, particularly on pitches low, and it only got worse by the 8th inning.  So Hatcher et al. had every right to be pissed off.  Unfortunately, it didn't mean that Hatcher had to then throw a fastball right down the pipe to enable them to tie the game.  A horrific pitch (same with Blanton's) and it just feels like deja vu from last year.  The bullpen has guys like Hatcher who have absolutely incredible stuff, but they either look like 2003 Eric Gagne or... well, 2008 Eric Gagne.  When they lose it, they just shit the bed, badly.  Based on tonight, and from last year, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.  Damn you, Aroldis Chapman.

Regarding Stripling, just an absolutely fantastic outing.  He had everything going against him and to do what he did; incredible.  While I thought Roberts lost his mind with Wood yesterday, I can't argue how he managed that 8th inning.  Stripling had never thrown 100 pitches in his life, add the TJ history, and he was running out of gas pretty quickly.  It sucks, but I got it.  Hopefully we'll see a lot more of him.

Pretty much agree with your take, but I would argue Kellogg really put Hatcher in a tough spot after he watched 3 strikes he threw called balls. Obviously, Kellogg was not going to give him the low strike (idiot!) so Hatcher had to elevate the next pitch. Game tied.

I really, REALLY wish MLB would start taking the review of their umpires more seriously. They probably have the oldest average age of officials in all the major sports and, I'm sorry, but IMO MLB needs to start weeding out these older umps if they can't consistently call balls and strikes. It seriously has adverse affects on the game.

But all that aside, yeah, the Dodgers' bullpen may end up giving me my first ulcer ever this season. We've already seen Yimi, Howell and Blanton blow up this year and that was just in 2 days (giving Hatcher a bit of a pass due to the Kellogg fiasco).

I fear that every narrow lead this year is going to be tenuous unless its in the ninth with Jansen on the mound.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help