Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Apr 9 16 8:23 AM

I would gladly eat a plate of shit like last night if that was a preview of what we are getting longterm with Stripling. He was fantastic. In 2 years we won't even mention guys like Ellis, Hatcher and Blanton. It was hard last night but I am becoming somewhat accepting that until this team has all the right fuel in the car, it's going to breakdown at times and most of the good fuel is still a bit too young to put in right now.

Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Apr 9 16 8:57 AM

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Dodgers to sign LHP Sean Burnett to minor-league contract. Will include May 1 opt-out.

@Ken_Rosenthal: J.P. Howell currently only left-hander in #Dodgers' bullpen. Opportunity exists for Burnett.

#43 [url]

Apr 9 16 10:04 AM

Matthew wrote:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Dodgers to sign LHP Sean Burnett to minor-league contract. Will include May 1 opt-out.

@Ken_Rosenthal: J.P. Howell currently only left-hander in #Dodgers' bullpen. Opportunity exists for Burnett.

Not a bad move by the Dodgers. Apparently, he pitched well for the Nats in Spring Training (8 scoreless innings with 7 K's), but Nats didn't have room for him in their pen.

If he can be an even reasonably effective lefty reliever it would probably be an upgrade right now. 

#44 [url]

Apr 9 16 10:57 AM

DieHardDodgerFan wrote:

Matthew wrote:@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Dodgers to sign LHP Sean Burnett to minor-league contract. Will include May 1 opt-out.

Not a bad move by the Dodgers. Apparently, he pitched well for the Nats in Spring Training (8 scoreless innings with 7 K's), but Nats didn't have room for him in their pen.

If he can be an even reasonably effective lefty reliever it would probably be an upgrade right now. 

Yes, but the 2 guys that need replacing the most are JP & Blanton and that ain't happening. Baez & Yimi have their issues when they come in w/men on base vs really good hitters. I understand all the reasoning for pulling Ross but it's the timing that kills me. If you have a hard 100 pitch mark on him, then why let him start the 8th because odds are he would reach that mark during the inning anyway. My point is either you pull him after 7 or let him finish the 8th. The Giants weren't hitting him and the walks were just as much the fault of the ump & AJ. Our relievers have a better chance of holding a lead when starting an inning. 

P.S. Carl Crawford is already hurt after 3 games. Surprise. Surprise. 

Last Edited By: bcmaiden Apr 9 16 11:02 AM. Edited 1 time.

#45 [url]

Apr 9 16 11:51 AM

bcmaiden wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:

Matthew wrote:@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Dodgers to sign LHP Sean Burnett to minor-league contract. Will include May 1 opt-out.

Yes, but the 2 guys that need replacing the most are JP & Blanton and that ain't happening. Baez & Yimi have their issues when they come in w/men on base vs really good hitters. I understand all the reasoning for pulling Ross but it's the timing that kills me. If you have a hard 100 pitch mark on him, then why let him start the 8th because odds are he would reach that mark during the inning anyway. My point is either you pull him after 7 or let him finish the 8th. The Giants weren't hitting him and the walks were just as much the fault of the ump & AJ. Our relievers have a better chance of holding a lead when starting an inning. 

Tin Man Crawford back to the DL?  Has he had back problems before, among his myriad injuries?  Now the loss of Ethier really stings.

The bullpen failures seem to occur during high pressure situations.  Against SD (okay, it was the Putrids) the pen went eight shutout innings under very low pressure situations.  In two tight situations, they have blown up.  It always seemed to be that way last year.  Come in trailing by four runs and pitch lights out.  Come in with a slim lead and it's nail biting time.

Sean Burnett doesn't make me feel any better, either.

#46 [url]

Apr 9 16 12:30 PM

Would love to see Ellis join Crawford on forever DL. For the plus that he calls a good game it is lost because he loses too many strikes by being unable to frame a damn thing. Yeah Kellogg needs to be found beaten bloodied in some dark alley but that is another kettle of fish and fodder for a diatribe on the system that bends over a barrel to protect these hacks. I can't fault Hatcher, he buried two strikes to Brown and Kellogg missed them like he was missing pitches all night. Pedro Martinez was right. Kellogg didn't toss Pigpen for challenging balls and strikes but because he was stating the obvious - Kellogg is terrible at his job and needs to be relieved of his position. Not going to happen because umpires, like civil servants, are above the unwashed masses and protected like sacred cows.

Hell, I can't even fault Blanton. The writing was on the wall - groove everything because we weren't getting any more called strikes. Also, can we finally just lose Carl Crawford? He is worse than fine china and whatever he offers in offense is mitigated by his piss poor defense and inability to stay upright. Let's just take our lumps with Johnson getting OJT in left field and eat Ned's need to be the biggest patsy in the game.

#50 [url]

Apr 9 16 1:44 PM

The saga of the disappearing posts on "YuckYou" continues. Seems that occasionally when posts disappear, they return when temporarily with another post. The game thread has disappeared on me, so I'll say it one more time. Brian O'Nora has no clue on the strike zone.

Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Apr 9 16 2:20 PM

All posts within last three hours gone again, including today's game thread.

Crap! Kershaw gives up another home run to the last guy on their team you'd expect, Adrianza, his second of his career in 264 PA's.

#52 [url]

Apr 9 16 6:12 PM

It's 7pm and the 1st time all day any of our threads showed up for me. Frustrating to no end. If by chance a thread shows, it crashes when I hit reply. Maybe we should have joined that existing board until a better option came up. Anyway, Davey made a lot of rookie managing mistakes in that 8th inning while Bochy shined. Good thing we got a much needed victory. Put me on the Charlie marching chowder society. Dude plays great defense and for now is hitting. The plate umpires have been dreadful and may have cost us yesterday's game. I don't want to see Cory out of the lineup vs any pitcher just like Adrian. Really good hitters can face righties or lefties. I hope this isn't a pattern w/Davey. Looks like we could have used Schebs now since we have zero OF left on the 40 man. Man, this year's team flaws look like last year's...blowpen & hitting w/RISP...SD doesn't count. 

#roboumps
#electronicstrikezones

#53 [url]

Apr 9 16 6:47 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Someone remind me why AJ Ellis is still getting valuable innings on this team (yeah, I know, he is Opie's best bud). He cost Stripling about five pitches because he cannot frame pitches and Hatcher threw two strikes to Brown and both pitchers were called balls because Ellis is worthless. Now, this POS ump decides to fuck Hatcher some more because he can claim Ellis is crap. Time for Ellis to start coaching and let the real catchers take over.

That ump was pathetic.  Hard to blame his ineptitude on Ellis.  I understand last night's game will look bad for AJ's pitch framing stats, but bad umps can attribute woefully to such a stat.

#54 [url]

Apr 9 16 6:54 PM

WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
Throwdeuce wrote:

While I'm lucky enough to live in a TWC area and have it, that map probably is incorrect. I believe only about 30% of the greater LA area has TWC. Now of fans in those areas don't want to switch, then that's on them. Frankly I would be pissed at Direct TV and others for not accepting the latest offer, if I lived in an area that wasn't in the TWC.

I am stuck with mlb.tv and so far, this season, they aren't showing any improvement over last year.   I do not know if it is the feed from SNLA or my near third world wi-fi hookup but the freezes are getting persistent.   I am going with SNLA because last night I switched over to FSSD and their broadcast was without hiccups, although I have a death wish for Mark Grant.  Don't want to have to choose Comcast Bay Area this weekend.   TV's cost money and if I have to listen to Krukow and his Trained Chimp, I am tossing some heavy objects through the device.  
Chris, curious why you don't just go with DirecTV and MLB-Extra Innings?  There were a few Dodger telecasts that were not on, but they almost always have the SportsNetLA feed.   I don't mind paying the extra fee for the Dodger games on EI, plus I watch a lot of other games.  Other than the occasional thunderstorm interruption, service and programming is excellent.  I would still get SportsNetLA through DTV if it were available for the pre- and post-game shows, but it doesn't appear that is likely to happen.

That's easy, Direct TV is non-existent on this island.   You get DISH or nothing.   If I want cricket or the Premier League, I am good.   I just run the games through my appleTV and how for the best.   It is not that awful, just by the end of the game in LA, I still have like fifteen to twenty minutes of game.  I usually just reboot it when it freezes and hope I don't miss anything.   I have better luck in Canada with Bell.  Games are pristine and I have the joy of French closed captioning if I am desperate for fun.  Seeing as how I spend most of the baseball season in Montreal, it works out pretty good.  

#55 [url]

Apr 9 16 9:08 PM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
Someone remind me why AJ Ellis is still getting valuable innings on this team (yeah, I know, he is Opie's best bud). He cost Stripling about five pitches because he cannot frame pitches and Hatcher threw two strikes to Brown and both pitchers were called balls because Ellis is worthless. Now, this POS ump decides to fuck Hatcher some more because he can claim Ellis is crap. Time for Ellis to start coaching and let the real catchers take over.

That ump was pathetic.  Hard to blame his ineptitude on Ellis.  I understand last night's game will look bad for AJ's pitch framing stats, but bad umps can attribute woefully to such a stat.

The biggest part of the problem is that umpires read, too.   They know AJ blows at pitch framing and if you get a crap umpire like Kellogg, he is going to be even worse because he has it in his small mind that borderline (or even spot on) pitches are balls because AJ can't frame to save his life, he is going to take the lazy way out and call a game like last night's.    If we want to give our pitchers the best chance at winning, Grandal and Barnes should be catching and AJ should be doing something else.   I understand that he is loved by many Dodger fans, but isn't the objective to win?   Ellis has proven somewhat capable at calling a game (although he is predictable) but after that, he is a journeyman at best.    He is slow for a catcher, doesn't have the strongest arm or quickest release and his good eye is mitigated by his passivity at the plate.  I just think his time is done and it would be best for his legacy and the team if he was released.   He should have a career as a coach and, eventually, a manager.   Now is as good a time to start as any.  

#56 [url]

Apr 10 16 4:27 AM

No word on whether SVS is going on the DL. It was obvious he was in pain on his last swing yesterday. They are saying it's his back and he's day to day.

#57 [url]

Apr 10 16 4:35 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

I am stuck with mlb.tv and so far, this season, they aren't showing any improvement over last year.   I do not know if it is the feed from SNLA or my near third world wi-fi hookup but the freezes are getting persistent.   I am going with SNLA because last night I switched over to FSSD and their broadcast was without hiccups, although I have a death wish for Mark Grant.  Don't want to have to choose Comcast Bay Area this weekend.   TV's cost money and if I have to listen to Krukow and his Trained Chimp, I am tossing some heavy objects through the device.  
Chris, curious why you don't just go with DirecTV and MLB-Extra Innings?  There were a few Dodger telecasts that were not on, but they almost always have the SportsNetLA feed.   I don't mind paying the extra fee for the Dodger games on EI, plus I watch a lot of other games.  Other than the occasional thunderstorm interruption, service and programming is excellent.  I would still get SportsNetLA through DTV if it were available for the pre- and post-game shows, but it doesn't appear that is likely to happen.

That's easy, Direct TV is non-existent on this island.   You get DISH or nothing.   If I want cricket or the Premier League, I am good.   I just run the games through my appleTV and how for the best.   It is not that awful, just by the end of the game in LA, I still have like fifteen to twenty minutes of game.  I usually just reboot it when it freezes and hope I don't miss anything.   I have better luck in Canada with Bell.  Games are pristine and I have the joy of French closed captioning if I am desperate for fun.  Seeing as how I spend most of the baseball season in Montreal, it works out pretty good.  

Wouldn't DirecTV send you the equipment and let you install it yourself.  When we tailgate it takes about ten minutes to set up the DirecTV link in the parking lot.  

On the umps, the gnats crew (K&K..before I muted them) said that O'Nora won't call anything outside the catcher's knees.  AJ was setting up inside a lot (too much) and the pitch well within the outside corner was called a ball.  Kershaw was pissed, but AJ does this all the time with similar results.

#58 [url]

Apr 10 16 8:52 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Would love to see Ellis join Crawford on forever DL. For the plus that he calls a good game it is lost because he loses too many strikes by being unable to frame a damn thing. Yeah Kellogg needs to be found beaten bloodied in some dark alley but that is another kettle of fish and fodder for a diatribe on the system that bends over a barrel to protect these hacks. I can't fault Hatcher, he buried two strikes to Brown and Kellogg missed them like he was missing pitches all night. Pedro Martinez was right. Kellogg didn't toss Pigpen for challenging balls and strikes but because he was stating the obvious - Kellogg is terrible at his job and needs to be relieved of his position. Not going to happen because umpires, like civil servants, are above the unwashed masses and protected like sacred cows.

Hell, I can't even fault Blanton. The writing was on the wall - groove everything because we weren't getting any more called strikes. Also, can we finally just lose Carl Crawford? He is worse than fine china and whatever he offers in offense is mitigated by his piss poor defense and inability to stay upright. Let's just take our lumps with Johnson getting OJT in left field and eat Ned's need to be the biggest patsy in the game.
Yeah, an inconsistent or incompetent ump behind the plate can cause so many issues because if a pitcher knows he's not getting strikes called on the edges, then he has to throw closer towards the middle of the plate and balls get crushed.

I am advocating for consistency, if not competency, in umps. If an ump is not giving the low strike, then it should be consistent. Pitchers and hitters just want a consistent strike zone so they know what's a ball and what's a strike. Kellogg's strike zone seemed to change when Hatcher got on the mound. To me, that's something that can be evaluated by higher ups AND Kellogg should be taken to task for it (ie. poor evaluation that could lead to suspensions or less games umpired).

Ellis is poor at pitch framing and not the best defensive catcher, but I didn't have an issue with bringing him back this season. Grandal was coming off an injury and Barnes is still an unknown entity so having Ellis around was vet insurance. However, I wouldn't be shocked if Ellis is not retained next year. He'll be a free agent and 36 years old and if Barnes shows enough this season, then I highly doubt Friedman and Zaidi will be willing to give Ellis the money it would take to re-sign him.

#59 [url]

Apr 10 16 9:00 AM

bcmaiden wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:

Totally agree on letting our relievers start innings as opposed to making them come into high leverage situations. Removing Stripling after 7 innings, in retrospect, may have been the best move. I think Roberts was hoping to squeeze another quick inning out of him.

I also think the Giants lineup, when healthy, is a good lineup. So the pen getting knocked around by them wasn't a complete shock.

That said, outside of Kershaw, any pitcher in this rotation who gives 7 strong innings probably would be at a point where they should be lifted so that a reliever can start the 8th with a clean slate.

Regarding Crawford, yeah he's pretty useless now. I mean he's got back soreness and its not even 10 games into the season?! If the Dodgers had a good OF prospect in the minors right now to take his place, I would've advocated DFA'ing him, but I guess they're going with Trayce Thompson and Micah Johnson.

#60 [url]

Apr 10 16 9:48 AM

I remember watching many a game last year (when I could on the Gnats, Mads and Snakes feed), with Grandal behind the dish, and wondering why people are so in love with pitch framing all of a sudden. Umps are gonna call the zone how they call it. It didn't matter if Grandal was back there or not. Pitches I saw that were strikes were being called balls. The whole game. For both sides. One has to think with all the scouting and information gathering teams have books on the umps as well. I know those who bet on baseball do, as that can dictate an over/under on the game. Obviously having that info doesn't preclude players and coaches still bitching about it during the game. But there has to be some indication before you throw the first pitch what to expect.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help