Remove this ad

#1621 [url]

Aug 25 16 3:05 PM

bigblaster wrote:
I lived in Philly for 14 years and watched Carlos Ruiz play. He plays hard, calls a good game, his pitchers liked throwing to him. Gotta believe that the Dodgers figure they weren't keeping AJ and Ruiz can hit a bit better against lefties. He's hard nosed like Utley. I hear they have a buyout option, so he might just be a rental for this year and go with Barnes as Yaz's backup in 2017. I'd love AJ to come back into the organization as a coach-manager after he hangs them up.

Amen to all this, especially the last sentence.  But good grief, man, the FO coulda handled this better.  Starting with THEM being the ones to tell Clayton.  

Personally, this move pisses me off.  And as to the question of whether or not this FO thinks chemistry isn't important, we have our answer.  AJ was a fan favorite and a clubhouse rock.  A lot like Uribe in that respect.  Coulda waited till the offseason with both those guys, but nope.

Remove this ad

#1622 [url]

Aug 25 16 3:09 PM

WildHare wrote:

Norm wrote:
WildHare wrote:
Norm wrote:Ruiz is hitting .340 (16-for-47) since the All-Star break, and Ellis still sucks.

What AJ meant to the Dodgers cannot be quantified by a batting average comparison.  He is a leader in the dugout and clubhouse.  He was highly respected by all of his teammates.  I don't think anything that makes Clayton Kershaw cry is a good thing for the Dodgers.  And, this doesn't mean anything to the front office, since they are all outsiders, but A. J. was a lifelong Dodger, and as a fan, that means a lot to me.  Clayton might take all of this into account when his opt out comes up.

Add in the fact that Ruiz knows nothing about our pitching staff except what he saw in half a dozen games from the opposing dugout.  Offensively, taking into consideration that we are talking about someone who plays once a week, the upgrade is minimal.  Psychologically, it is much more.

Oh, boo-fucking-hoo.  This was a good move by the front office, no matter how long you go on pissing and moaning about every fucking thing they do. Time will tell.  I could have liked a trade for Ruiz and wouldn't have had a problem with him making the post-season roster over Ellis if his September numbers and More Importantly, his handling of the pitching staff warranted it.  Just not for AJ

You gonna' tell Clayton Boo F'ing Hoo, too?

Sure, why not?   Hey Clayton, in case you read this forum, boo-fucking-hoo.  Please don't opt out two years from now because your best friend stopped being a Dodger a couple of months earlier than expected.

A couple of notes on chemistry, which I don't in any way dismiss.

1. If this front office really didn't give a shit about chemistry, I doubt Puig would be in AAA.
2. I'm more than old enough to remember how the A's of the early 70's all hated each other but still managed to win 3 consecutive World Series.

#1623 [url]

Aug 25 16 3:37 PM

In all honesty, outside of being Kershaw's personal valet, Ellis is just terrible. He is one of the worst hitters in baseball. I get that he is well liked but Ruiz mashes some of the pitchers we will be facing, has two rings and has been hitting .340 since the All Star break. He also hits LH's well so he is an asset we needed.

What's the point of having roster spot taken by a guy who catches once every blue moon and is hitting under .200 with only 1 HR? I like Ellis as a person and a true professional but as a business, we got a better return in Ruiz. Even with Ellis' presence in the clubhouse, the team hasn't won a WS with him and you can only do so much when you never play.

This was a metrics deal pure and simple. Ruiz is also a good guy in the room from what has been said in the media.  The FO is basically saying they will do what they think is best regardless of who it involves.  That's both good and bad sometimes.  We will see how this plays out.  

Last Edited By: NewportDodger Aug 25 16 3:41 PM. Edited 1 time.

#1624 [url]

Aug 25 16 3:40 PM

Norm wrote:

1. If this front office really didn't give a shit about chemistry, I doubt Puig would be in AAA.
2. I'm more than old enough to remember how the A's of the early 70's all hated each other but still managed to win 3 consecutive World Series.
Sure.  That's BAD chemistry - they obviously see the value in eliminating that.  But GOOD chemistry is hard to come by these days, with so much trading/signing going on.  Personally, I think it's underrated.  But I'm a fan, so there's that.

#1625 [url]

Aug 25 16 3:43 PM

monsooner wrote:
Norm wrote:

Sure.  That's BAD chemistry - they obviously see the value in eliminating that.  But GOOD chemistry is hard to come by these days, with so much trading/signing going on.  Personally, I think it's underrated.  But I'm a fan, so there's that.

I can understand that point 100%. The thing is, this team hasn't won it all even with the chemistry being what it was so maybe they figured that getting more talent will help this year.  I still think they are not in the same league as the Cubs this year either way.    

#1626 [url]

Aug 25 16 3:45 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
In all honesty, outside of being Kershaw's personal valet, Ellis is just terrible. He is one of the worst hitters in baseball. I get that he is well liked but Ruiz mashes some of the pitchers we will be facing, has two rings and has been hitting .340 since the All Star break. He also hits LH's well so he is an asset we needed.

What's the point of having roster spot taken by a guy who catches once every blue moon and is hitting under .200 with only 1 HR? I like Ellis as a person and a true professional but as a business, we got a better return in Ruiz. Even with Ellis' presence in the clubhouse, the team hasn't won a WS with him and you can only do so much when you never play.

This was a metrics deal pure and simple. Ruiz is also a good guy in the room from what has been said in the media.  The FO is basically saying they will do what they think is best regardless of who it involves.  That's both good and bad sometimes.  We will see how this plays out.  
On the baseball/business side of things, this is a great post.  And probably how we'll all feel about it in a week's time. 

For now, I hate it.  When the Blue brings back AJ to replace Geren next season, I'll have forgotten all about it.

And thanks for deleting your last paragraph.  I was gonna start this response with, "I was totally with you until your last couple sentences..." smiley: happy

#1627 [url]

Aug 25 16 3:51 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
monsooner wrote:
Norm wrote:

I can understand that point 100%. The thing is, this team hasn't won it all even with the chemistry being what it was so maybe they figured that getting more talent will help this year.  I still think they are not in the same league as the Cubs this year either way.    
Yeah, the Cubbies are the big wall this year.  I think if we're playing at the same level we're playing now (great offense, great bully, suspect but somewhat promising starters), we'll get past WA into the NLCS.  Can't see the Cards or gnats (Marlins? Bucks? Mets?) beating the Cubs.  An uphill climb for sure.  This upcoming series will divulge a lot.

#1628 [url]

Aug 25 16 3:51 PM

monsooner wrote:

NewportDodger wrote:In all honesty, outside of being Kershaw's personal valet, Ellis is just terrible. He is one of the worst hitters in baseball. I get that he is well liked but Ruiz mashes some of the pitchers we will be facing, has two rings and has been hitting .340 since the All Star break. He also hits LH's well so he is an asset we needed.

On the baseball/business side of things, this is a great post.  And probably how we'll all feel about it in a week's time. 

For now, I hate it.  When the Blue brings back AJ to replace Geren next season, I'll have forgotten all about it.

And thanks for deleting your last paragraph.  I was gonna start this response with, "I was totally with you until your last couple sentences..." image

I would be extremely surprised if A.J. doesn't return to the Dodger organization next year, as a non-player.

#1629 [url]

Aug 25 16 3:54 PM

monsooner wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

And thanks for deleting your last paragraph.  I was gonna start this response with, "I was totally with you until your last couple sentences..." smiley: happy

Hahaha, I know. I am always going back and going "Hmmm, that didn't come out right, edit damn it!" I am mixed on the personal and the business side because baseball always seems to be a sport where metrics take such a huge precedent now over the things that are not readily apparent outside of the clubhouse. I think if AJ weren't having such a bad year and CK had not been on the shelf for awhile, this trade never happens. I also think that either way, AJ was not going to be brought back so on the CK side, this was going to be a factor at some point. Timing sucks but it's front and center now.

#1630 [url]

Aug 25 16 4:04 PM

Was out golfing today and don't ask. I was beyond shitty. Losing by 23 strokes to the Brazilian is a new low. I like this move not only because I have been down on AJ for three years, but because it is the right move. Ellis is no longer an MLB catcher and as of late, he wasn't even Opie's personal catcher. The numbers even favored Yas when he caught Opie. We needed a righty bat because even though Yas has improved from that side of the plate, he is not very good from that side. As for the clubhouse chemistry, Ruiz is well respected and is considered a strong clubhouse guy for what that is worth, so I don't see any downside there and as far as AJ boo-hooing in the clubhouse I guess reality hadn't set in that this was likely his last go-round and he had been pretty lucky to have lasted this long.

Remove this ad

#1631 [url]

Aug 25 16 4:05 PM

Stripling batting 8th & Culberson batting 9th tonight.

Edit:  Now I see that someone else has Stripling batting 9th.

Last Edited By: Norm Aug 25 16 4:58 PM. Edited 1 time.

#1632 [url]

Aug 25 16 5:40 PM

Like everyone else, I'm sorry to see AJ go. He's been a mainstay for our recent Dodgers for a while now but let's face it, we all knew this day would come. Good luck to AJ in Philly; here's hoping the team brings him back in a coaching capacity soon and that the new guy Ruiz does well.

#1633 [url]

Aug 25 16 6:22 PM

On a side note, I was listening to Russo today - yeah, I know, yapping dog. Anyway, he made some sense, Roberts sometimes doesn't get it. Pulls Blanton on Tuesday when he is going strong and gets an unnecessary four-out save from Kenley and then, last night, leaves Blanton in to face Crawford (which almost blew up in Roberts' face) to make nice to Everday Joe.

#1634 [url]

Aug 26 16 5:47 AM

Couldnt finish the game last night and when i looked at who got the only hit, in the bot 9 and 2 outs no less, but our hero Corey, could not be more happy even with the loss

#1635 [url]

Aug 26 16 12:20 PM

In news not involving AJ Ellis, Jeremy Jefress, who came to the Rangers along with Jonathan Lucroy at the trade deadline was arrested in Dallas on a DUI charge. The Rangers have placed him on the restricted list until they sort this out.

#1636 [url]

Aug 26 16 12:41 PM

WildHare wrote:
In news not involving AJ Ellis, Jeremy Jefress, who came to the Rangers along with Jonathan Lucroy at the trade deadline was arrested in Dallas on a DUI charge. The Rangers have placed him on the restricted list until they sort this out.

Heard on the local radio this morning that depending on how the league looks at this, he could be banned from the league as he has already had 3 previous suspensions.

#1638 [url]

Aug 26 16 2:30 PM

Brock Stewart is back in L.A. I don't know if he's been activated. I can't see any reason to activate him today in order to make tomorrow's start. I hope that he's just here in case he's needed tonight in long relief, and that DeLeon will get the call for tomorrow's game.

#1639 [url]

Aug 26 16 2:31 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
monsooner wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

Hahaha, I know. I am always going back and going "Hmmm, that didn't come out right, edit damn it!" I am mixed on the personal and the business side because baseball always seems to be a sport where metrics take such a huge precedent now over the things that are not readily apparent outside of the clubhouse. I think if AJ weren't having such a bad year and CK had not been on the shelf for awhile, this trade never happens. I also think that either way, AJ was not going to be brought back so on the CK side, this was going to be a factor at some point. Timing sucks but it's front and center now.
Agreed.  It's funny, I was considering posting something about a week ago about how little playing time AJ is getting now that Grandal has gotten hot.  Totally understandable, but a 35-yr-old backup catcher only getting to swing the bat once a week is gonna create a .200 BA at best.  Can't fault AJ too much for the BA when he isn't playing.  

And I think we're right - AJ is likely to retire as a player after this season.  But I thought David Ross would have been retired 5 years already now, and look at that boy still kickin'.  You never know with the grinder-types.  AJ could keep stay on a 25-man for another 2-3 years.  Just depends on the situation, I suppose.

#1640 [url]

Aug 26 16 2:43 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
I like this move not only because I have been down on AJ for three years, but because it is the right move...
Who asked YOU???  Seriously, did anybody ask Chris???  Nobody??? I didn't think so.....

LOL.

I figured you'd like this move.  It's the one player you and I have disagreed on across the board the last 2-3 years.  My SMH moments have to do with Friedman saying over and over again that the primary reason Chooch was needed was because he hits lefties better.  But guys, check the stats.  Just last year, AJ's 94 plate appearances against lefties produced a .260/.394/.519/.913 line.  Chooch this year is .250/.421/.409/.830 in 57 plate appearances.  If that's the primary reason, it's not a smart one, IMO.  Other reasons about more postseason experience (slightly favors Chooch), and that this year Chooch is playing better than AJ... fine.  But it just doesn't seem like enough reason to make such a move.  

That said, I'm over it.  I'll stop whining.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help