Remove this ad

#1641 [url]

Aug 26 16 4:08 PM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
I like this move not only because I have been down on AJ for three years, but because it is the right move...
Who asked YOU???  Seriously, did anybody ask Chris???  Nobody??? I didn't think so.....

LOL.

I figured you'd like this move.  It's the one player you and I have disagreed on across the board the last 2-3 years.  My SMH moments have to do with Friedman saying over and over again that the primary reason Chooch was needed was because he hits lefties better.  But guys, check the stats.  Just last year, AJ's 94 plate appearances against lefties produced a .260/.394/.519/.913 line.  Chooch this year is .250/.421/.409/.830 in 57 plate appearances.  If that's the primary reason, it's not a smart one, IMO.  Other reasons about more postseason experience (slightly favors Chooch), and that this year Chooch is playing better than AJ... fine.  But it just doesn't seem like enough reason to make such a move.  

That said, I'm over it.  I'll stop whining.
One thing no one has mentioned is "Did the Phillies really need/want, even care about acquiring AJ?"  Philly is going nowhere this year, but have some promising future stars.  They also possess two of the top eight rated catching prospects, along with Cameron Rupp, who displaced Ruiz, and is no slouch offensively  (OPS+ 115, Wow!).  I think they just wanted to shed Ruiz' salary and option/buyout next year, but didn't really care about a replacement backup.  The Phils probably would have taken another middling prospect, we could have DL'd AJ retroactive to when he last played, reactivated him in September and everybody would have been happy.  (Put BMac on the 60 day DL to clear a space.  He's done.)  Nobody would shed any tears about AJ missing the postseason roster with deference to Ruiz, and any permanent divorce would have been delayed until postseason.  NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF A PENNANT RACE, DAMMIT!  Why don't they ask us what to do?  smiley: nerd

You are right, Kyle, we might as well get over it, because it's done and so all we can do is move forward.  Just could have been better orchestrated.  Way better!

Remove this ad

#1642 [url]

Aug 26 16 4:37 PM

WildHare wrote:

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:I like this move not only because I have been down on AJ for three years, but because it is the right move...

Who asked YOU???  Seriously, did anybody ask Chris???  Nobody??? I didn't think so.....

LOL.

I figured you'd like this move.  It's the one player you and I have disagreed on across the board the last 2-3 years.  My SMH moments have to do with Friedman saying over and over again that the primary reason Chooch was needed was because he hits lefties better.  But guys, check the stats.  Just last year, AJ's 94 plate appearances against lefties produced a .260/.394/.519/.913 line.  Chooch this year is .250/.421/.409/.830 in 57 plate appearances.  If that's the primary reason, it's not a smart one, IMO.  Other reasons about more postseason experience (slightly favors Chooch), and that this year Chooch is playing better than AJ... fine.  But it just doesn't seem like enough reason to make such a move.  

One thing no one has mentioned is "Did the Phillies really need/want, even care about acquiring AJ?"  Philly is going nowhere this year, but have some promising future stars.  They also possess two of the top eight rated catching prospects, along with Cameron Rupp, who displaced Ruiz, and is no slouch offensively  (OPS+ 115, Wow!).  I think they just wanted to shed Ruiz' salary and option/buyout next year, but didn't really care about a replacement backup.  The Phils probably would have taken another middling prospect, we could have DL'd AJ retroactive to when he last played, reactivated him in September and everybody would have been happy.  (Put BMac on the 60 day DL to clear a space.  He's done.)  Nobody would shed any tears about AJ missing the postseason roster with deference to Ruiz, and any permanent divorce would have been delayed until postseason.  NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF A PENNANT RACE, DAMMIT!  Why don't they ask us what to do?  image

You are right, Kyle, we might as well get over it, because it's done and so all we can do is move forward.  Just could have been better orchestrated.  Way better!

http://m.phillies.mlb.com/news/article/197654016/phillies-trade-carlos-ruiz-to-dodgers/

Klentak said that the Phillies insisted on Ellis in the deal because "it was important as this team parts ways with Carlos, who has been such an important leader for so long, that we add a player with a tremendous reputation as a leader and worker."

#1643 [url]

Aug 26 16 5:02 PM

Ellis Report?

Did AJ report to the Phillies, or did he pull a Jackie Robinson.  Remember Jackie retired rather that report to the Giants!

#1645 [url]

Aug 26 16 5:10 PM

Norm wrote:
WildHare wrote:

monsooner wrote:

LOL.

One thing no one has mentioned is "Did the Phillies really need/want, even care about acquiring AJ?"  Philly is going nowhere this year, but have some promising future stars.  They also possess two of the top eight rated catching prospects, along with Cameron Rupp, who displaced Ruiz, and is no slouch offensively  (OPS+ 115, Wow!).  I think they just wanted to shed Ruiz' salary and option/buyout next year, but didn't really care about a replacement backup.  The Phils probably would have taken another middling prospect, we could have DL'd AJ retroactive to when he last played, reactivated him in September and everybody would have been happy.  (Put BMac on the 60 day DL to clear a space.  He's done.)  Nobody would shed any tears about AJ missing the postseason roster with deference to Ruiz, and any permanent divorce would have been delayed until postseason.  NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF A PENNANT RACE, DAMMIT!  Why don't they ask us what to do?  image

http://m.phillies.mlb.com/news/article/197654016/phillies-trade-carlos-ruiz-to-dodgers/

Klentak said that the Phillies insisted on Ellis in the deal because "it was important as this team parts ways with Carlos, who has been such an important leader for so long, that we add a player with a tremendous reputation as a leader and worker."
Phillies in fourth place, 15 games out.  They really need someone with a reputation as a leader and worker, presumably to keep them ahead of the hapless Braves.  Matt Klentak is an Ivy Leaguer with a great future in politics.

#1646 [url]

Aug 26 16 5:16 PM

WildHare wrote:

Norm wrote:
WildHare wrote:
monsooner wrote:

LOL.

Klentak said that the Phillies insisted on Ellis in the deal because "it was important as this team parts ways with Carlos, who has been such an important leader for so long, that we add a player with a tremendous reputation as a leader and worker."Phillies in fourth place, 15 games out.  They really need someone with a reputation as a leader and worker, presumably to keep them ahead of the hapless Braves.  Matt Klentak is an Ivy Leaguer with a great future in politics.

LOL!

#1647 [url]

Aug 26 16 5:23 PM

The Mets' deadline acquisition, Jay Bruce, is trying to make Josh Reddick feel better. He's 1 for his last 17 with the Golden Sombrero tonight. Also, he had a calf cramp Wednesday and missed Thursday's game with soreness. Prepared mustard is the answer. Ask Eric Byrnes if you don't believe me. Gets him through ultra-marathons such as the Western States 100.

#1648 [url]

Aug 26 16 5:42 PM

Norm wrote:
Brock Stewart is back in L.A. I don't know if he's been activated. I can't see any reason to activate him today in order to make tomorrow's start. I hope that he's just here in case he's needed tonight in long relief, and that DeLeon will get the call for tomorrow's game.

Brock Stewart has been called up for length out of the pen. Urias to start tomorrow, and TBD pushed back until Sunday, with Maeda pitching Monday in Coors.

#1649 [url]

Aug 26 16 5:47 PM

Yikes! Talk about roster manipulation! Maeda was optioned to Ariz. rookie league team to make room for Brock Stewart, but since their season ends Sunday, he can still return on Monday to make his start in Coors.

#1650 [url]

Aug 27 16 10:07 AM

Lol, a lot being made of trading Ellis, especially since the trade definitely helped the Dodgers. Ruiz was being displaced in Philly but still a very capable platoon mate from the right side.

This article lays it all out well:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/dodgers-phillies-swap-catchers-carlos-ruiz-heading-west/#PFYPw9xHvtjUzvph.97

Ruiz has an OPS of 830 this year against LHPs. Dodgers are the worst hitting team againt LHPs. So he helps there.Even helps as a pinch hitter from the right side.

Also, Ruiz is still a good defender at C and can be used as a late inning defensive replacement for Grandal.

On top of all of that, he has a team option for next year at $4.5 mill so the Dodgers can bring him back cheap to platoon with Grandal. He will likely only play 1 or 2 games a week and he can keep Grandal fresh and not be as much of a drop off offensively as Ellis was (who wasn't coming back next year, anyways).

And Ruiz was well respected in the Phillies clubhouse as well so its not like he will affect team chemistry in a negative way.

Remove this ad

#1651 [url]

Aug 27 16 10:29 AM

UCSB07 wrote:
Couldnt finish the game last night and when i looked at who got the only hit, in the bot 9 and 2 outs no less, but our hero Corey, could not be more happy even with the loss

I was there.  You would have thought Corey had just hit a walkoff.  In a sense, he did.  It's a loss, either way, but we didn't have to put up with loudmouthed Jints fans rubbing our noses in it.

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

#1653 [url]

Aug 27 16 12:54 PM

DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
Lol, a lot being made of trading Ellis, especially since the trade definitely helped the Dodgers. Ruiz was being displaced in Philly but still a very capable platoon mate from the right side.

This article lays it all out well:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/dodgers-phillies-swap-catchers-carlos-ruiz-heading-west/#PFYPw9xHvtjUzvph.97

Ruiz has an OPS of 830 this year against LHPs. Dodgers are the worst hitting team againt LHPs. So he helps there.Even helps as a pinch hitter from the right side.

Also, Ruiz is still a good defender at C and can be used as a late inning defensive replacement for Grandal.

On top of all of that, he has a team option for next year at $4.5 mill so the Dodgers can bring him back cheap to platoon with Grandal. He will likely only play 1 or 2 games a week and he can keep Grandal fresh and not be as much of a drop off offensively as Ellis was (who wasn't coming back next year, anyways).

And Ruiz was well respected in the Phillies clubhouse as well so its not like he will affect team chemistry in a negative way.
He should be more valuable when the September callups happen as Barnes will undoubtedly come up so there will be no fear to use both Grandal and Ruiz in the same game.

#1655 [url]

Aug 27 16 8:55 PM

WildHare wrote:
The Mets' deadline acquisition, Jay Bruce, is trying to make Josh Reddick feel better. He's 1 for his last 17 with the Golden Sombrero tonight. Also, he had a calf cramp Wednesday and missed Thursday's game with soreness. Prepared mustard is the answer. Ask Eric Byrnes if you don't believe me. Gets him through ultra-marathons such as the Western States 100.
Is it bad that I just wished a calf cramp on Reddick?

Yeah, it prolly is.  Dang.

#1657 [url]

Aug 28 16 3:37 PM

So, in two huge match ups this week, the Dodgers come out winning 4 out of 6, and probably should have swept the Cubs. Not bad.

I have to say, and I know I'm insane to say it, but the Cubs don't scare me. They're good, great, even, but I think this team (with a healthy Kershaw, of course) can take them out in the playoffs. They strike out a lot, and we strike out a lot of people; plus, they're still the Cubs.

Having said all that, I still haven't a clue how this team is doing what it's done. We nearly swept the best team in baseball with Ross Stripling, Julio Urias, and Brock Stewart starting, coming off taking 2 of 3 from the Giants, in which the two wins came against their best pitchers. I have no idea how this season is going to end, but at least up to this point, I think it's worth appreciating how incredible this run is. Yes, the Dodgers had incredibly high expectations going into this season, but it wasn't with this roster, and I think that's somewhat forgotten. In a sense, this season has been more rewarding for me than the past few; it's kind of nice to be an underdog, again, at least as much as this franchise can be.

#1658 [url]

Aug 28 16 4:18 PM

Matthew wrote:
So, in two huge match ups this week, the Dodgers come out winning 4 out of 6, and probably should have swept the Cubs. Not bad.

I have to say, and I know I'm insane to say it, but the Cubs don't scare me. They're good, great, even, but I think this team (with a healthy Kershaw, of course) can take them out in the playoffs. They strike out a lot, and we strike out a lot of people; plus, they're still the Cubs.

Having said all that, I still haven't a clue how this team is doing what it's done. We nearly swept the best team in baseball with Ross Stripling, Julio Urias, and Brock Stewart starting, coming off taking 2 of 3 from the Giants, in which the two wins came against their best pitchers. I have no idea how this season is going to end, but at least up to this point, I think it's worth appreciating how incredible this run is. Yes, the Dodgers had incredibly high expectations going into this season, but it wasn't with this roster, and I think that's somewhat forgotten. In a sense, this season has been more rewarding for me than the past few; it's kind of nice to be an underdog, again, at least as much as this franchise can be.
We may need a couple of more 1963 Dick Nen moments.  Actually, Andrew Toles and Rob Segedin are stepping up.  After today, add Brock Stewart to that list.

#1659 [url]

Aug 28 16 4:20 PM

Matthew wrote:

With the state of our current rotation, I was hoping for a 3-3 record against the gnats and cubbies.  Winning both series' was an incredible feat.  Mind-blowing, really.  Our rivals would call it smoke and mirrors, and I'm not sure I can make a good counter-argument.  At one level, having Stripling and Stewart is one of those weird "advantages" in that there's still only a small amount of video on each guy, AND both guys are the grinder-types (as opposed to first-rounder-types who don't always show a willingness/drive to put in the hard work to get better with each and every start).  Today, Brock looked like we were all hoping he might on his debut outing.  Dude has some swing-and-miss stuff, and if it wasn't a 0-0 game in the bottom of the 5th with his turn coming up, he could have easily gone into the 7th or 8th tonight, IMO.

And to think we still have DeLeon (who is almost assured of being penciled in for 3 or 4 starts in September), Ethier coming back, and hopefully Clayton, and maybe even Puig?  If I'm the Dodgers FO, one of the more tough decisions is going to be whether or not Reddick is on the post-season roster.  I'd much rather have Toles on the bench.  It's a little early to start projecting post-season rosters, but man, Reddick is an automatic out.  The game has seriously gotten into his head.  

But let me end this post on a high note:  We darn-near swept the Cubs!  This was a good week.

#1660 [url]

Aug 28 16 4:57 PM

monsooner wrote:
Matthew wrote:

With the state of our current rotation, I was hoping for a 3-3 record against the gnats and cubbies.  Winning both series' was an incredible feat.  Mind-blowing, really.  Our rivals would call it smoke and mirrors, and I'm not sure I can make a good counter-argument.  At one level, having Stripling and Stewart is one of those weird "advantages" in that there's still only a small amount of video on each guy, AND both guys are the grinder-types (as opposed to first-rounder-types who don't always show a willingness/drive to put in the hard work to get better with each and every start).  Today, Brock looked like we were all hoping he might on his debut outing.  Dude has some swing-and-miss stuff, and if it wasn't a 0-0 game in the bottom of the 5th with his turn coming up, he could have easily gone into the 7th or 8th tonight, IMO.

And to think we still have DeLeon (who is almost assured of being penciled in for 3 or 4 starts in September), Ethier coming back, and hopefully Clayton, and maybe even Puig?  If I'm the Dodgers FO, one of the more tough decisions is going to be whether or not Reddick is on the post-season roster.  I'd much rather have Toles on the bench.  It's a little early to start projecting post-season rosters, but man, Reddick is an automatic out.  The game has seriously gotten into his head.  

But let me end this post on a high note:  We darn-near swept the Cubs!  This was a good week.
Yep, I'm really feeling Reddick's pain.  He is obviously trying too hard.  In yesterday's game he hit a fly ball down the right field line that didn't even make the warning track, but his reaction was almost as if he had gotten robbed of a home run.  Maybe he was upset because he just missed it, but he is definitely pressing.  

Brock Stewart just gave us a viable rotation option with his performance today.  Have to give the front office credit for not banishing him to the minors for the season after a couple of rough outings.  His stuff impressed me even when he was scuffling.  Add JDL to the mix and get Clayton back soon, and our rotation has some strength and depth.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help