Remove this ad

#1661 [url]

Aug 28 16 5:49 PM

This really pisses me off. Ethier has been hbp twice tonight. Apparently he's okay, as he's just doubled to go 2 for 2 otherwise.

Remove this ad

#1662 [url]

Aug 28 16 9:53 PM

Another great performance by DeLeon today. I'm starting to wonder if the reason he hasn't been added to the 40 man roster is so that he won't have to be put on waivers before being traded in the next few days.

#1663 [url]

Aug 28 16 10:45 PM

No. 36 overall prospect Cody Bellinger (Dodgers' No. 1) belted his 20th home run as well as a double in a 2-for-4 performance for Double-A Tulsa. The 21-year-old outfielder-first baseman has totaled 50 home runs in 237 games across his first two full-season campaigns.

For a third straight start, No. 37 overall prospect Jose De Leon (Dodgers' No. 2) recorded double-digit strikeouts for Triple-A Oklahoma City. The 24-year-old right-hander was particularly dominant on Sunday, as punched out a season-high 13 hitters -- one short of tying his career-high -- and allowed four hits in seven scoreless innings. De Leon has pitched to a 2.61 ERA while holding opposing hitters to a .194 average, with 111 strikeouts and 20 walks in 86 1/3 innings.

#1664 [url]

Aug 29 16 12:39 AM

Norm wrote:
Another great performance by DeLeon today. I'm starting to wonder if the reason he hasn't been added to the 40 man roster is so that he won't have to be put on waivers before being traded in the next few days.

Everything I've read points to the upcoming 40 man roster crunch w/guys who might be coming off the 60 day DL in Ethier, Trayce, Kershaw, Anderson, BMac, Wood, & Tsao. All of them aren't guaranteed but 3 or 4 is very possible and would mean getting rid of guys we want to keep, so adding JDL creates a bigger problem. JDL would be an emergency addition if needed only. 

#1665 [url]

Aug 29 16 6:29 AM

bcmaiden wrote:
Norm wrote:

Everything I've read points to the upcoming 40 man roster crunch w/guys who might be coming off the 60 day DL in Ethier, Trayce, Kershaw, Anderson, BMac, Wood, & Tsao. All of them aren't guaranteed but 3 or 4 is very possible and would mean getting rid of guys we want to keep, so adding JDL creates a bigger problem. JDL would be an emergency addition if needed only. 
Don't see much future in Tsao, Frias, or BMac.  Might add Anderson to that group and while Chris Taylor is a decent utility guy, I wouldn't hold JDL back to preserve Taylor's spot, either. Trayce is not eligible to return from the 60-day until mid-September, and I really don't expect him to return from two lower back fractures this year.  Mid-September is probably very optimistic for Ryu and best case scenario for Wood.  It might be more of a 25-man situation and they will promote JDL Sept. 1 when rosters expand.

#1667 [url]

Aug 29 16 7:02 AM

beefchopper wrote:
No. 36 overall prospect Cody Bellinger (Dodgers' No. 1) belted his 20th home run as well as a double in a 2-for-4 performance for Double-A Tulsa. The 21-year-old outfielder-first baseman has totaled 50 home runs in 237 games across his first two full-season campaigns.

For a third straight start, No. 37 overall prospect Jose De Leon (Dodgers' No. 2) recorded double-digit strikeouts for Triple-A Oklahoma City. The 24-year-old right-hander was particularly dominant on Sunday, as punched out a season-high 13 hitters -- one short of tying his career-high -- and allowed four hits in seven scoreless innings. De Leon has pitched to a 2.61 ERA while holding opposing hitters to a .194 average, with 111 strikeouts and 20 walks in 86 1/3 innings.

IMO, Bellinger and De Leon would probably be up helping a lot of other MLB ball clubs make a push to the playoffs.

They are both probably going to be ready to play on the Dodgers by next year, but I think Bellinger will start the year in AAA and if he does well may get a call up to help in the OF or insurance if anything happens to AGon.

I do think De Leon is probably in the rotation to start the year, though.

Loving the possibilities of a Kershaw, Maeda, Urias, De Leon and Kazmir/McCarthy/Ryu/Wood/Stripling rotation.

And crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be against the Dodgers re-signing Rich Hill if he continues to pitch well, considering a lot of the latter guys I mentioned are serious question marks for next year with their injury and durability issues.

#1668 [url]

Aug 29 16 7:14 AM

WildHare wrote:
bcmaiden wrote:
Norm wrote:

Don't see much future in Tsao, Frias, or BMac.  Might add Anderson to that group and while Chris Taylor is a decent utility guy, I wouldn't hold JDL back to preserve Taylor's spot, either. Trayce is not eligible to return from the 60-day until mid-September, and I really don't expect him to return from two lower back fractures this year.  Mid-September is probably very optimistic for Ryu and best case scenario for Wood.  It might be more of a 25-man situation and they will promote JDL Sept. 1 when rosters expand.

Yeah, Tsao, Frias, McCarthy and Anderson could all probably be taken off the 40 man roster to make room. The Dodgers already outrighted Zarraga yesterday, which opened up a 40 man roster spot.

So Dodgers have enough spots to play with if they need to add guys to the 40 man, like De Leon, Fien, Barnes, Ethier, Coleman, and/or Kershaw.

#1670 [url]

Aug 29 16 10:33 AM

DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

IMO, Bellinger and De Leon would probably be up helping a lot of other MLB ball clubs make a push to the playoffs.

They are both probably going to be ready to play on the Dodgers by next year, but I think Bellinger will start the year in AAA and if he does well may get a call up to help in the OF or insurance if anything happens to AGon.

Loving the possibilities of a Kershaw, Maeda, Urias, De Leon and Kazmir/McCarthy/Ryu/Wood/Stripling rotation.

And crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be against the Dodgers re-signing Rich Hill if he continues to pitch well, considering a lot of the latter guys I mentioned are serious question marks for next year with their injury and durability issues.
I have a feeling the Dodgers are 100% going to try and sign Hill because they have wanted him for awhile.  I think they would go a 3-year with him but not sure if he would take it.  A lot does depend on him being good down the stretch.  I think the Dodgers would love to find a way to make Kazmir and McCarthy go away.  I also wonder the longterm prognosis for Ryu.  Wood will be in the mix.  If they sign Hill that slides everyone down a notch most likely.  Kershaw, Hill, Maeda, Urias, De Leon with Wood/Stripling in there looks solid.  

Remove this ad

#1671 [url]

Aug 29 16 10:47 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

I have a feeling the Dodgers are 100% going to try and sign Hill because they have wanted him for awhile.  I think they would go a 3-year with him but not sure if he would take it.  A lot does depend on him being good down the stretch.  I think the Dodgers would love to find a way to make Kazmir and McCarthy go away.  I also wonder the longterm prognosis for Ryu.  Wood will be in the mix.  If they sign Hill that slides everyone down a notch most likely.  Kershaw, Hill, Maeda, Urias, De Leon with Wood/Stripling in there looks solid.  

Agree on the Dodgers maybe trying to re-sign Hill, if he pitches well down the stretch. Like you said, who knows if they can sign him, but I would think they would try.

Unfortunately, I think Kazmir opts in and McCarthy ain't going anywhere. All the 5th starter candidates I mentioned are question marks. Hence, the reason to sign Hill.

Yeah, signing Hill would make the rotation look good. Top 5 look good and while a lot of question marks with the depth, there would be a lot of options. You can never have enough starting pitching options. smiley: smile

#1673 [url]

Aug 29 16 12:45 PM

DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

I think the Dodgers should offer Hill the same 2 year deal he asked Oakland for before being traded right now.

#1674 [url]

Aug 29 16 12:46 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

I have a feeling the Dodgers are 100% going to try and sign Hill because they have wanted him for awhile.  I think they would go a 3-year with him but not sure if he would take it.  A lot does depend on him being good down the stretch.  I think the Dodgers would love to find a way to make Kazmir and McCarthy go away.  I also wonder the longterm prognosis for Ryu.  Wood will be in the mix.  If they sign Hill that slides everyone down a notch most likely.  Kershaw, Hill, Marfa, Urias, De Leon with Wood/Stripling in there looks solid.  

Hill was willing to sign for 2-years with Oakland just recently.

#1675 [url]

Aug 29 16 1:00 PM

Geez, I forgot BMac has two MORE years remaining. That may become a bad signing to rival Ned's Jason Schmidt deal.

On Hill, he has been pretty fragile his entire career. He's been a starter from the outset and hasn't topped 100 innings pitched but once, and that was way back in 2007. We don't need any more crystal pitchers (pun intended.) He would have to show a lot the rest of the way to make me go multi-year. Hope we learned something from the McCarthy and Anderson signings.

#1676 [url]

Aug 29 16 1:45 PM

Tim Dierkes at MLBTR lists Aroldis Chapman and Kenley as the only free agents as "locks" for four year deals. He mentioned Reddick having seemed like a possibility until being "terrible since joining the Dodgers."

On an entirely unrelated note, you really have to admire Carlos Ruiz for asking DRob to allow him to spend a couple of days in the pen getting accustomed to the stuff of the relievers. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it shows he's team oriented.

#1677 [url]

Aug 29 16 2:06 PM

WildHare wrote:
Tim Dierkes at MLBTR lists Aroldis Chapman and Kenley as the only free agents as "locks" for four year deals. He mentioned Reddick having seemed like a possibility until being "terrible since joining the Dodgers."

On an entirely unrelated note, you really have to admire Carlos Ruiz for asking DRob to allow him to spend a couple of days in the pen getting accustomed to the stuff of the relievers. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it shows he's team oriented.

Hard to tell where Reddick will end up next season.  0% chance the Dodgers bring him back, with the emergence of Toles, and Ethier due back healthy and Bellinger & Verdugo getting closer.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to the A's on a one year deal, trying to rebuild his value.

#1678 [url]

Aug 29 16 2:55 PM

Norm wrote:
WildHare wrote:

Hard to tell where Reddick will end up next season.  0% chance the Dodgers bring him back, with the emergence of Toles, and Ethier due back healthy and Bellinger & Verdugo getting closer.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to the A's on a one year deal, trying to rebuild his value.
If the season ended today, sure.  But can Reddick really continue to this level of suckitude through September?  I mean, the man has ZERO RBI in 85 plate appearances with the Blue.  That's hard to do if one is TRYING to make outs.  He OPS's at a career .741.  Something's gotta click with this guy soon.  Right?  

Excuse me, my optimism is showing.  I should probably cover that up.  

#1679 [url]

Aug 29 16 4:26 PM

monsooner wrote:
Norm wrote:
WildHare wrote:

If the season ended today, sure.  But can Reddick really continue to this level of suckitude through September?  I mean, the man has ZERO RBI in 85 plate appearances with the Blue.  That's hard to do if one is TRYING to make outs.  He OPS's at a career .741.  Something's gotta click with this guy soon.  Right?  

Excuse me, my optimism is showing.  I should probably cover that up.  

DRob shares your optimism, as Reddick is back in the lineup batting 6th.  It's pretty hard to lose 40 points on your BA in August, but Reddick has done that.  I keep thinking he's a lot better (and he would almost have to be), but he's got a lifetime OPS+ of 104, so he's not going to set the world on fire.  Incidentally, in looking that up, I see he currently has an OPS+ with the Dodgers of MINUS 1.  Might have to dig deep to find negative numbers in OPS+.

#1680 [url]

Aug 30 16 6:43 AM

There's pressing and then there's what Reddick is doing.

On top of that, the Dodgers have been using Reddick against all pitchers like he does well vs righties and lefties and that's just not the case. He isn't great against RHPs.

Now, if Rich Hill pitches well tonight and down the stretch, then the trade can look at least passable in my eyes, but even then it seems like Reddick is going to be a sunk cost in that trade.

And as the waiver deadline approaches, I wonder if the Dodgers will pick up another reliever they can use. If nothing else, bring in a fresher arm to help the heavily used bullpen out.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help