Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jul 7 16 4:29 PM

I would like to say something about our bullpen as it still takes a lot of criticism everywhere despite it having been really good this year. Many seem to say Jansen is the one guy they trust and there is a lot of talk about trading for one of the Yankees big 3 relievers, but our big 3 has been every bit as good if not better than theirs. It's not just Jansen, but Jansen/Blanton/Liberatore have made an amazing trio and an argument could be made that they all deserve all star spots. On top of that Coleman has been very good and Howell has actually pitched very well also. Baez and Fien are similar in that they look very good at times but are prone to give up the long ball. Hatcher has struggled, but even he looks good at times and other times he gets rocked. I hate to break it to everyone, but pretty much every bullpen has a guy like Hatcher on it - we are never going to have a bullpen of 7 or 8 stud closers/setup men.

So really the problem with our bullpen is that we don't get enough innings from our starters and that our offense is inept most of the time. If we could get a lead through 6 innings we would look great with some combo of Jansen/Blanton/Libby/Coleman, but we can't do that very often so we have to get constant inning from the back of our bullpen. On top of that our offense doesn't score runs so those back of the bullpen guys come into very close games so when they do give up a run or two it either ties the game or puts us behind and we have a lot of trouble coming back from that. Hatcher was attacked a lot for the loss yesterday, but it wasn't really his fault. He gave up the 2 runs in the 14th, but our bullpen overall pitched 9 innings and gave up 3 runs, so an era of 3. Prior to Hatcher the bullpen had given up 1 run in 8 innings and that was the solo HR Fien gave up that tied the game. Our offense scored 0 runs in the last 9 innings of the game, with countless guys on base and multiple situations where it should be impossible not to score a run like 2nd and 3rd with nobody out. Hatcher is the guy we remember blowing the game but it was either going to have to be him or Baez pitching to Machado/Davis/Trumbo in the 14th so I think we were pretty screwed at that point anyway. We should have won the game repeatedly before it ever got to that point. Now I'm not saying Hatcher is good, but as the last guy in the pen who mostly does mop up duty he would be fine. Baez or Fien would be better for that role and we really should have 1 less reliever on our staff anyway, but we have to carry extras because of all the use they get. I think I got a little off topic, but what I really wanted to say about it is that the 7th or 8th reliever on the team is not the problem - the problem is those responsible for them having to regularly be used in situations where the game is close or tied.

Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jul 7 16 5:15 PM

bob007hh wrote:
I would like to say something about our bullpen as it still takes a lot of criticism everywhere despite it having been really good this year. Many seem to say Jansen is the one guy they trust and there is a lot of talk about trading for one of the Yankees big 3 relievers, but our big 3 has been every bit as good if not better than theirs. It's not just Jansen, but Jansen/Blanton/Liberatore have made an amazing trio and an argument could be made that they all deserve all star spots. On top of that Coleman has been very good and Howell has actually pitched very well also. Baez and Fien are similar in that they look very good at times but are prone to give up the long ball. Hatcher has struggled, but even he looks good at times and other times he gets rocked. I hate to break it to everyone, but pretty much every bullpen has a guy like Hatcher on it - we are never going to have a bullpen of 7 or 8 stud closers/setup men.

So really the problem with our bullpen is that we don't get enough innings from our starters and that our offense is inept most of the time. If we could get a lead through 6 innings we would look great with some combo of Jansen/Blanton/Libby/Coleman, but we can't do that very often so we have to get constant inning from the back of our bullpen. On top of that our offense doesn't score runs so those back of the bullpen guys come into very close games so when they do give up a run or two it either ties the game or puts us behind and we have a lot of trouble coming back from that. Hatcher was attacked a lot for the loss yesterday, but it wasn't really his fault. He gave up the 2 runs in the 14th, but our bullpen overall pitched 9 innings and gave up 3 runs, so an era of 3. Prior to Hatcher the bullpen had given up 1 run in 8 innings and that was the solo HR Fien gave up that tied the game. Our offense scored 0 runs in the last 9 innings of the game, with countless guys on base and multiple situations where it should be impossible not to score a run like 2nd and 3rd with nobody out. Hatcher is the guy we remember blowing the game but it was either going to have to be him or Baez pitching to Machado/Davis/Trumbo in the 14th so I think we were pretty screwed at that point anyway. We should have won the game repeatedly before it ever got to that point. Now I'm not saying Hatcher is good, but as the last guy in the pen who mostly does mop up duty he would be fine. Baez or Fien would be better for that role and we really should have 1 less reliever on our staff anyway, but we have to carry extras because of all the use they get. I think I got a little off topic, but what I really wanted to say about it is that the 7th or 8th reliever on the team is not the problem - the problem is those responsible for them having to regularly be used in situations where the game is close or tied.
Great post.  You nailed it.  

#23 [url]

Jul 7 16 5:26 PM

Well, the latest news has Milwaukee's GM, David Stearns in attendance at last night's OKC game. Guess who was pitching? JDL and he didn't disappoint. Figure that if we are going after Lucroy then JDL is the major piece to get it done. I was kind of hoping that JDL would stay on the lightly injured list until August 2. Maybe then Stearns would look longingly at Grant Holmes, Trevor Oaks or even Brock Stewart. But, given Stewart's meteoric rise through the system, I think we can absorb the loss of JDL a bit easier. Not happy about it, but our catchers are an abysmal lot with the stick.

#24 [url]

Jul 7 16 5:32 PM

bob007hh wrote:
DSinSoCal wrote:
Given the current strength of our bullpen I wouldn't trade any good prospects for a 36 year old middle reliever (scratch that -- I'm in the midst of a migraine and mis-read the stat sheet) in the walk-year of a contract.   A quality starter would certainly have more value.  I'd be more open to it than if we were talking about a RP

But he has been a mediocre middle reliever for the majority of his career, with some years as a mediocre starter mixed in. I have a hard time trusting a career year from a 36 year old pitcher. On top of that he's never been healthy and just came off the DL this year. I could see it if they believe that Kershaw will be out for quite a while, but otherwise I'd rather take my chances on Wood and/or Anderson being able to fill the spot we would be asking from Hill rather than giving up top prospects for him.
I think I agree with you on this one, Bob.

#25 [url]

Jul 8 16 11:59 AM

Andrew Toles being called up from Oklahoma City. Hopefully, this means that we've seen the last of Will Venable.

#26 [url]

Jul 8 16 2:17 PM

Norm wrote:
Andrew Toles being called up from Oklahoma City. Hopefully, this means that we've seen the last of Will Venable.

And Toles is starting in CF tonight.

#27 [url]

Jul 9 16 1:57 PM

The Dodgers will consider dealing Yasiel Puig before the August 1 deadline, Rosenthal suggests. Whether they actually do deal him could depend, however, on the timing of Andre Ethier’s return and whether they acquire another outfielder.

#28 [url]

Jul 9 16 2:46 PM

beefchopper wrote:
The Dodgers will consider dealing Yasiel Puig before the August 1 deadline, Rosenthal suggests. Whether they actually do deal him could depend, however, on the timing of Andre Ethier’s return and whether they acquire another outfielder.

That could get really interesting.

#29 [url]

Jul 9 16 3:48 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

That could get really interesting.
Could this be related?

• Hill has returned from the DL to rave reviews for the Athletics, and both Drellich and Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle suggest that widespread interest is building in the southpaw. The former cites the Red SoxDodgersCubs, and Tigers as organizations that are taking a look at Hill. And Slusser adds yet more teams to the possible mix, listing the Blue JaysRoyals, and Orioles as possible suitors that have been watching him pitch of late. While Hill’s frequent injuries limit his appeal somewhat, there’s an argument to be made that he’s the best pure rental piece available this summer.

#30 [url]

Jul 9 16 4:02 PM

Better not be Rich Hill for Puig. If anything Puig is very similar to Sonny Grey in trade analysis. His value is not of the 5 WAR (or better) player of 2014. But he has been hitting much better since the DL. He is still just 24 on a below market contract. So you don't trade that for a 35yo oft injured pitcher that'll be a free agent at the end of the year. You wouldn't trade Puig at such a low point just as you wouldn't trade Grey for R Hill. Plus, with the Dodger offense being so putrid why would you trade your best defender with still plus-potential bat? If the Dodgers were the mid-90's Rockies, I get it, but not here. Now, if Ethier and Pederson come back July 20th and you can get Klueber or Carrasco for like needs, you do it.

Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jul 9 16 5:00 PM

saeldway wrote:
Better not be Rich Hill for Puig. If anything Puig is very similar to Sonny Grey in trade analysis. His value is not of the 5 WAR (or better) player of 2014. But he has been hitting much better since the DL. He is still just 24 on a below market contract. So you don't trade that for a 35yo oft injured pitcher that'll be a free agent at the end of the year. You wouldn't trade Puig at such a low point just as you wouldn't trade Grey for R Hill. Plus, with the Dodger offense being so putrid why would you trade your best defender with still plus-potential bat? If the Dodgers were the mid-90's Rockies, I get it, but not here. Now, if Ethier and Pederson come back July 20th and you can get Klueber or Carrasco for like needs, you do it.
I can't imagine the dodgers would do that even up.  I was thinking more as parts of a multi player trade.  That seems to be our FO's modus operandi anyway.

#34 [url]

Jul 16 16 10:03 AM

@billplunkettocr: Via @TBTimes_Rays -- #Dodgers among teams with scout at RHP Chris Archer's start last night. Archer much better than 4-13, 4.68 ERA shows

#36 [url]

Jul 16 16 12:06 PM

@Ken_Rosenthal: Just reported on @FS1: #Yankees will trade potential FAs Chapman, Beltran if things don't turn. Drawing interest in multiple SPs. Link soon.

#37 [url]

Jul 16 16 12:19 PM

Bluegineer wrote:
Am I in the minority in thinking a big bat at first in addition to left and a starter and reliever are needed?

The hardest part of that list to accomplish would be replacing AGon. He's not helping much, especially batting clean-up, but it really seems like we're stuck with him.

#39 [url]

Jul 16 16 2:00 PM

Norm wrote:
Trayce Thompson on the DL. Replaced by switch hitting IF/OFer Zach Walters.

Great, there goes more of our limited HR power. We are going to have a Punch and Judy lineup if anyone else goes down.

#40 [url]

Jul 16 16 2:24 PM

Bluegineer wrote:
Am I in the minority in thinking a big bat at first in addition to left and a starter and reliever are needed?
AGon is not going anywhere and where would we find an available upgrade?  I guess Edwin Encarnacion is a FA at the end of the year, but Toronto is still in the AL East race.  Steve Pearce would be a platoon option, as he rakes against lefties.  Maybe, Friedman can deal with his former team.  AGon is still a good defender (to my eye) and a solid hitter, just not that power bat needed in the 4 hole.  If SVS has his "back problem under control" (oxymoron?), he could spell AGon more frequently vs. lefties.

With all the rehabbing/returned starters, I wouldn't give up the farm for help there.  

Our pen has been very good, but, yeah, I could replace one of our middle relievers and upgrade the eighth with Chapman/Miller/Betances.  The Yankees are fading, but what would they want for two months of Chapman?

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help