Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Jul 16 16 2:28 PM

Norm wrote:
Trayce Thompson on the DL. Replaced by switch hitting IF/OFer Zach Walters.
Backs seem to have replaced hamstrings as the injury du jour.  

It's even afflicted me in the last week.  Have had frequent lower back issues in the past, but this is upper back between the shoulder blade and spine.  Comes and goes, but it's excruciating when it comes.

Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Jul 16 16 2:39 PM

WildHare wrote:

Norm wrote:Trayce Thompson on the DL. Replaced by switch hitting IF/OFer Zach Walters.

It's even afflicted me in the last week.  Have had frequent lower back issues in the past, but this is upper back between the shoulder blade and spine.  Comes and goes, but it's excruciating when it comes.

I've had back issues very similar to yours. Lower back for decades, but in the past few years, it moved up to my shoulder and upper back.  I don't know if you smoke grass, but once I started smoking indica instead of sativa, those more recent pains went away, and left me with my occasional lower back misery. 
Even after getting bored with getting high these past few months, and not smoking, the shoulder and upper back pains haven't returned.

#43 [url]

Jul 16 16 3:44 PM

Bluegineer wrote:
Am I in the minority in thinking a big bat at first in addition to left and a starter and reliever are needed?

I really don't see the team doing anything to replace Adrian Gonzalez. He's under contract for two more years after this one at 21.5 million dollars a year, so just accept that he's our 1st baseman through at least next year whether you like him or not. On top of that I don't know who you'd trade for that would be an improvement. He's very good defensively and in July he's hit like .400 with an OPS over 1.000. The homers haven't been there and he's a very streaky hitter but he's still a good player and he'll be our first baseman for a while.

#44 [url]

Jul 16 16 3:57 PM

As far as left fielder my guess is that since we are stuck with Ethier for another year after this what they do will have some bearing on him. If they think he'll be back in August they may not do anything, if they don't think he's coming back this year then they'll probably look at guys on expiring deals. Someone mentioned Carlos Beltran and I could see that, though Yankee ownership wants to try for the postseason and not be sellers. The one name I could see them take a long look at is Jay Bruce, but he hasn't hit a lot of homeruns this year playing in Cincy.

Starter is a tricky spot. If Kershaw, Wood, and Anderson are all actually close to being back we will have too many starters with Kershaw, Wood, Anderson, Maeda, McCarthy, Norris, Kazmir, Ryu. If we are going to get a starter he's got to be better than most of those guys and there doesn't seem to be many of those available. Maybe if the White Sox fall completely out of it they'll trade Sale. The rumors are that the Braves want more for Teheran than they got for Shelby Miller, so no thanks. I could see them taking a run at Chris Archer hoping that his issues can be corrected by coming here. What are we willing to pay for a guy with an era of 4.68 and a whip of 1.41 on the hopes he returns to the pitcher he was the past couple of years.

I could see them do something in the bullpen, but I don't think it'll be the Miller/Chapman move that most people want. Jansen/Blanton/Libby are out pitching the Yankee big 3 anyway. I could see them add someone more for the middle or long relief role - though Bud Norris could fill that role when we have more starters back from the DL. I do think they'll be looking for relievers that are still under team control next year. If the Rockies accept that they are done they could move Jake McGee, though his numbers don't justify much return.

So I think they'll sniff around each of those markets and see what the other teams are asking. We may see them swap a starter for a left fielder, or do a 3 way trade losing Anderson or Kazmir for a bat if all of our starters prove to be healthy. I'm just hoping that the Angels decide it would be best to rebuild their farm system/team by trading Trout.

#45 [url]

Jul 16 16 4:38 PM

WildHare wrote:
Bluegineer wrote:
Am I in the minority in thinking a big bat at first in addition to left and a starter and reliever are needed?
AGon is not going anywhere and where would we find an available upgrade?  I guess Edwin Encarnacion is a FA at the end of the year, but Toronto is still in the AL East race.  Steve Pearce would be a platoon option, as he rakes against lefties.  Maybe, Friedman can deal with his former team.  AGon is still a good defender (to my eye) and a solid hitter, just not that power bat needed in the 4 hole.  If SVS has his "back problem under control" (oxymoron?), he could spell AGon more frequently vs. lefties.

With all the rehabbing/returned starters, I wouldn't give up the farm for help there.  

Our pen has been very good, but, yeah, I could replace one of our middle relievers and upgrade the eighth with Chapman/Miller/Betances.  The Yankees are fading, but what would they want for two months of Chapman?

I think they will get A LOT.  I fear he's going to be a Gint.

#46 [url]

Jul 16 16 4:42 PM

beefchopper wrote:
WildHare wrote:
Bluegineer wrote:
AGon is not going anywhere and where would we find an available upgrade?  I guess Edwin Encarnacion is a FA at the end of the year, but Toronto is still in the AL East race.  Steve Pearce would be a platoon option, as he rakes against lefties.  Maybe, Friedman can deal with his former team.  AGon is still a good defender (to my eye) and a solid hitter, just not that power bat needed in the 4 hole.  If SVS has his "back problem under control" (oxymoron?), he could spell AGon more frequently vs. lefties.

With all the rehabbing/returned starters, I wouldn't give up the farm for help there.  

Our pen has been very good, but, yeah, I could replace one of our middle relievers and upgrade the eighth with Chapman/Miller/Betances.  The Yankees are fading, but what would they want for two months of Chapman?

I think they will get A LOT.  I fear he's going to be a Gint.

I think they'll get a significant amount also, but the Giants will be bidding against the Cubs who have a significantly better farm system, So he'll probably either go to the Cubs or cost the Giants most of their remaining minor league value. Of course, him going to either team hurts us so here's to hoping the Yankees win a few games and decide not to be sellers.

#47 [url]

Jul 16 16 4:45 PM

Norm wrote:
WildHare wrote:

Norm wrote:Trayce Thompson on the DL. Replaced by switch hitting IF/OFer Zach Walters.

I've had back issues very similar to yours. Lower back for decades, but in the past few years, it moved up to my shoulder and upper back.  I don't know if you smoke grass, but once I started smoking indica instead of sativa, those more recent pains went away, and left me with my occasional lower back misery. 
Even after getting bored with getting high these past few months, and not smoking, the shoulder and upper back pains haven't returned.
Nope, haven't smoked a joint in 30 years and very little even then.  This episode is really weird.  It started off with a little tugging between the shoulder blades.  Then over the next couple of weeks it would kind of grab me hard just inside my left shoulder blade.  Was playing golf in Idaho Tuesday and it became very painful.  Now it is very random, but nearly paralyzing and unbearable when it grabs.

Getting old ain't for sissies.

#48 [url]

Jul 18 16 7:05 AM

Nearly midnight here and Herself is in full snore. Just read at Dodger Digest that Ethier's latest bone scan was not good. According to Nosler, it would appear that Andre in 2016 is not going to happen. He is stomping for Reddick as part of a bigger trade. Works for me, but who else is in our sights? I think Sonny Gray would cost us Puig and then we have to fill another outfield spot. I am not fond of Rich Hill, I think we have three guys like him on the DL or just have got healthy already in Ryu, Wood and BMac. After that, it is pretty bad in Oakland. I don't see a huge need for Valencia and while Vogt would be an upgrade over the craptastic AJ Ellis, I think the A's like him too much to move him. Khris Davis might be someone to look at, but he is either feast or famine and his defense is worse than Carl Crawford's.

Regarding the deadline, I should be back in Montreal with a couple days to spare, but I think we will be highly active. A rich farm system (loaded with great arms) and the gnawing need that I see that we have to make that jump from contender to champ right soon seems to tell me we are not going to spare any cost. Maybe we bite the bullet and move Puig for a huge haul. I know that might be the name that frees up an Archer, Gray or even, dare I say it, a Sale. Of course, if we set our sights on Chris Sale (and this is just conjecture on my part), it will cost us Puig, JDL and Holmes to open the talking. Maybe even Kike and a lower level arm like Leonardo Crawford or Andrew Sopko to get it past the rumor stage. But, if we move Puig, we need two outfielders. Reddick is likely the flavor of the month, but I wonder if we are aiming higher and looking longingly at Ryan Braun. We eat the contract and what goes to Beertown could be not as painful. Figure Verdugo and one of our lesser pen arms (Hatcher or the soon to be ready Yimi). I am not fond of losing Verdugo but I figure Urias, Bellinger and Calhoun (lack of MI depth on the farm) will be nigh onto untraceable. I am thinking Bellinger is one full season from making AGon redundant and Calhoun could be our starting second baseman come next June. As for Urias, 'nuf said, the kid is ready it is just managing his innings. Right now, I am higher on Stewart, Oaks and Montas than JDL (who seems like the girl with a curl, when he is good he is great and when he is hurt - which is often - well, you know the rest). Just waiting to see what Buehler gives to us when he is 100%. It is like waiting for Christmas on that kid.

#49 [url]

Jul 18 16 7:48 AM

Trading Puig would be tough. He has hit well since coming off the DL and his RF defense is very good.

Like you said, we would be opening up another hole in the OF to fill a starter's spot. Kershaw could be ready by Thursday and with McCarthy and Ryu now back in the rotation, I don't know that starting pitching is what they will target.

If anything, I think getting a Andrew Miller or Aroldis Chapman would be the better move to give the Dodgers a legit set up guy. I like the idea of Chapman replacing Hatcher or Fein and Urias replacing JP Howell in the bullpen. Would make the pen unbelievable, IMO. Very reminiscent of KC's pen last year that helped them win a World Series.

#50 [url]

Jul 18 16 8:46 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Nearly midnight here and Herself is in full snore. Just read at Dodger Digest that Ethier's latest bone scan was not good. According to Nosler, it would appear that Andre in 2016 is not going to happen. He is stomping for Reddick as part of a bigger trade. Works for me, but who else is in our sights? I think Sonny Gray would cost us Puig and then we have to fill another outfield spot. I am not fond of Rich Hill, I think we have three guys like him on the DL or just have got healthy already in Ryu, Wood and BMac. After that, it is pretty bad in Oakland. I don't see a huge need for Valencia and while Vogt would be an upgrade over the craptastic AJ Ellis, I think the A's like him too much to move him. Khris Davis might be someone to look at, but he is either feast or famine and his defense is worse than Carl Crawford's.

Regarding the deadline, I should be back in Montreal with a couple days to spare, but I think we will be highly active. A rich farm system (loaded with great arms) and the gnawing need that I see that we have to make that jump from contender to champ right soon seems to tell me we are not going to spare any cost. Maybe we bite the bullet and move Puig for a huge haul. I know that might be the name that frees up an Archer, Gray or even, dare I say it, a Sale. Of course, if we set our sights on Chris Sale (and this is just conjecture on my part), it will cost us Puig, JDL and Holmes to open the talking. Maybe even Kike and a lower level arm like Leonardo Crawford or Andrew Sopko to get it past the rumor stage. But, if we move Puig, we need two outfielders. Reddick is likely the flavor of the month, but I wonder if we are aiming higher and looking longingly at Ryan Braun. We eat the contract and what goes to Beertown could be not as painful. Figure Verdugo and one of our lesser pen arms (Hatcher or the soon to be ready Yimi). I am not fond of losing Verdugo but I figure Urias, Bellinger and Calhoun (lack of MI depth on the farm) will be nigh onto untraceable. I am thinking Bellinger is one full season from making AGon redundant and Calhoun could be our starting second baseman come next June. As for Urias, 'nuf said, the kid is ready it is just managing his innings. Right now, I am higher on Stewart, Oaks and Montas than JDL (who seems like the girl with a curl, when he is good he is great and when he is hurt - which is often - well, you know the rest). Just waiting to see what Buehler gives to us when he is 100%. It is like waiting for Christmas on that kid.

I think we you look at cost in terms of prospects, and the fact that the FO has withstood the pressure to deal the prospects for guys like Hamels and Cueto already that Rich Hill and maybe an expiring contract bat are the types of players they will go after. Sure, their names will come into play on every conversation because teams like to make it known that the Dodgers are in the mix to drive up the prices. At the end of the day though, it would have to be a guy who can come in and make an instant impact and also be under a good contract for them to give up a guy like DeLeon. I hope they move Puig because he is giving the Dodgers basically what an average guy would and if will bring something of value in return then move him before his value declines any further. Some team will think they can fix him when the reality is that he could just as easily get worse and pout if he ends up going from the glamour of LA to some lesser market. I doubt Puig would bring in anything more than a #3 type Starting Pitcher right now anyway. We would have to give prospects as well to sweeten the deal.

Last Edited By: NewportDodger Jul 18 16 8:49 AM. Edited 1 time.

Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Jul 18 16 8:48 AM

DieHardDodgerFan wrote:
Trading Puig would be tough. He has hit well since coming off the DL and his RF defense is very good.

Like you said, we would be opening up another hole in the OF to fill a starter's spot. Kershaw could be ready by Thursday and with McCarthy and Ryu now back in the rotation, I don't know that starting pitching is what they will target.

If anything, I think getting a Andrew Miller or Aroldis Chapman would be the better move to give the Dodgers a legit set up guy. I like the idea of Chapman replacing Hatcher or Fein and Urias replacing JP Howell in the bullpen. Would make the pen unbelievable, IMO. Very reminiscent of KC's pen last year that helped them win a World Series.
Matthew posted some really good thoughts on Puig at the tag end of yesterday's game thread.  I agree with a lot of what he said...basically we want to love Puig as a Dodger, but he sure as heck makes it tough, sometimes.  On the other hand, agree with you that trading him would be a bitter pill to swallow and we probably wouldn't get the value of his debatable potential.

Speaking of yesterday's game, we are in a stretch of eight days off and fourteen games.  What was the purpose of resting Grandal, Utley, and AGon?  I know the latter two are elder statesmen and catcher's need more rest, but not in this stretch.  End result was AJ wearing the golden sombrero against a hard thrower.

#52 [url]

Jul 18 16 3:37 PM

WildHare wrote:

DieHardDodgerFan wrote:Trading Puig would be tough. He has hit well since coming off the DL and his RF defense is very good.

Matthew posted some really good thoughts on Puig at the tag end of yesterday's game thread.  I agree with a lot of what he said...basically we want to love Puig as a Dodger, but he sure as heck makes it tough, sometimes.  On the other hand, agree with you that trading him would be a bitter pill to swallow and we probably wouldn't get the value of his debatable potential.

Speaking of yesterday's game, we are in a stretch of eight days off and fourteen games.  What was the purpose of resting Grandal, Utley, and AGon?  I know the latter two are elder statesmen and catcher's need more rest, but not in this stretch.  End result was AJ wearing the golden sombrero against a hard thrower.

Pay attention, WH. Per the Joe Torre playbook:  Must sit LH bats vs LH starter while using all backup RH bats

#55 [url]

Jul 18 16 7:46 PM

On Dodger talk tonight they were saying that Puig is withdrawing from teammates and others because of the trade rumors most likely. So once, you peel back the fake layers of Puig and him being different this year, etc., he ends up showing the same behavior as he did during other years. He is a child and since they treat him like a child, he will keep behaving like one. Roberts seems to have almost exhausted every type of positive comment he can give. I think he will have hit the bottom of the barrel if he states something like "I really thought Yasiel looked good in the on-deck circle."

#56 [url]

Jul 18 16 11:01 PM

Would it surprise anyone to learn that this season Puig is batting:

None on:          199/273/331/604
Runners on:      320/372/432/804
RISP:               313/366/438/804
Bases Loaded: 444/444/556/1.000

However, his numbers do suck with runners in scoring position with 2 outs: 176/263/176/439

#58 [url]

Jul 19 16 6:50 AM

Norm wrote:
Interesting rumor. It doesn't seem very likely though.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/190308590/evan-longoria-an-enticing-name-for-dodgers/
Agree that a Longoria deadline acquisition is a very remote possibility.  If JT isn't re-signed for 2017, then Longoria could be a viable target this off-season.  He is owed $90M it's over the next six years, which isn't bad for a 130 OPS+ corner infielder.  He's had a nice bounce back season this year after two prior mediocre seasons.

#59 [url]

Jul 19 16 6:53 AM

Was watching the Yankees game last night. Chapman was clocked at 105 mph with more than one fast ball. McCann was having a hard time catching him.

Still think an impact bat is a greater need.

#60 [url]

Jul 19 16 7:13 AM

WildHare wrote:
Norm wrote:
Interesting rumor. It doesn't seem very likely though.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/190308590/evan-longoria-an-enticing-name-for-dodgers/
Agree that a Longoria deadline acquisition is a very remote possibility.  If JT isn't re-signed for 2017, then Longoria could be a viable target this off-season.  He is owed $90M it's over the next six years, which isn't bad for a 130 OPS+ corner infielder.  He's had a nice bounce back season this year after two prior mediocre seasons.

Yeah, I'd target Longoria this offseason if Turner walks. I have to imagine the Rays are not looking forward to paying a 31 year old Longoria $16 mill/yr for the next 6 yrs. Not with their meager payroll.

Frankly, with how poorly they have performed this year, I would be surprised if the Rays didn't trade Longoria and other pieces to accumulate young assets and do a rebuild again. Their business model pretty much necessitates that.

I imagine Longoria would require some decent prospects to be dealt. With his comeback season, his value will definitely be pretty high, given the dearth of quality 3B in baseball.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help