Remove this ad

#681 [url]

Aug 2 16 11:03 AM

bcmaiden wrote:
DieHardDodgerFan wrote:

beefchopper wrote:Barry Bonds was one of the worst teammates in baseball history, probably in the history of all professional sports

Somehow, they managed to put up with him.

It is really all about production.

Lol, its funny you brought up Bonds because I was going to use him as an example, but didn't want to use a Hated One. image

Reality is, lots of jerks have played the game and were put up with.

Bottom line is can a player help you win? Maybe Puig's negatives outweighed his positives on the field. Can't really say since I'm not in the clubhouse.

But I gotta think if Puig can be even a decent hitter and provide good defense in RF AND not be a big distraction on and off the field, then he needs to be back on the club at some point.

To me, this stinks because of the timing. His production IS THERE since coming off the DL hitting  .308/.390/.440/.830. I could understand if you had the attitude & production issues colliding but it's not the case. Unless there's some huge issue we're not privy to, then I see this as another FO bumbling. 

I agree, this smacks of FO bumbling alright. Puig definitely needs to do some work (like be tied down and forced to watch video), but I fail to see diminished production since he came off the DL. Why now? Very poor player management on the part of the FO. Of course, this is the same FO that hardly ever speaks to the fanbase. Nothing I've seen since they've gotten here impresses me. Not a thing.

Listen, these guys who play major league baseball are playing a freakin' kids' game. They're LUCKY to be there. They don't all have to be besties in the clubhouse. Where did that myth come from anyway? Heck, some of the greatest players in baseball history were not great teammates. Teammates were afraid to approach Bob Gibson on days that he pitched. Mickey Mantle and Billy Martin were drunks. Same for Babe Ruth. Barry Bonds and Ty Cobb were a-holes of the highest degree. Winning breeds chemistry. Gimme a break about clubhouse chemistry; professional sportswriters are just looking for the next headline. I'm not buying into it. Puig is immature, sure, but they rushed him to the majors without much preparation. I think they'd be better off keeping him in LA and platooning him with Reddick and try to get more production in the lineup. Maybe even sign Juan Uribe to be his handler. If the FO really wants Puig to work on things in the minors, they could have handled it a hell of a lot better. From a purely fan's point of view, I don't see these FO guys as having very good interpersonal skills with the players. Seems to me that Friedman may be on the autism spectrum. In fact, it seems to me that they have isolated themselves from everybody, except maybe Dave Roberts, who was hired as a pliable puppet, in my opinion. The huge egos in the front office would NEVER hire a strong manager with strong, independent opinions. 

And yet, we're still close to the hated Giants and still leading the NL wild card race so who knows? The Dodgers could get lucky.

Remove this ad

#682 [url]

Aug 2 16 11:53 AM

Just heard that Brock Stewart is in Denver and may start tomorrow night's game, giving Maeda an extra day off. Guess he'll go back down when Hill is activated from the DL.

#683 [url]

Aug 2 16 12:08 PM

If I owned a team I would set a policy to never call up a rookie to specifically pitch in NY, Boston or Colorado barring any other reasonable options. It just doesn't seem like there's a lot of upside for the kid in doing that -- yet, it seems we have a preference for throwing young pitchers directly into the shark tank time after time -- or is it just me?

#684 [url]

Aug 2 16 12:21 PM

Wow...looks like Matt Kemp has it all figured out now! WTG Matt!

Keep on spitting 800 times a game and looking aloof out there. I'm sure you've just now figured it all out!
---------------------
Matt Kemp: "I've never really played in a baseball town before. So, I am excited about that."

#685 [url]

Aug 2 16 12:29 PM

DSinSoCal wrote:
If I owned a team I would set a policy to never call up a rookie to specifically pitch in NY, Boston or Colorado barring any other reasonable options. It just doesn't seem like there's a lot of upside for the kid in doing that -- yet, it seems we have a preference for throwing young pitchers directly into the shark tank time after time -- or is it just me?

No kidding. I said in the game thread when Bud left w/an injury that I'd like to see Brock again, BUT COLORADO!

#686 [url]

Aug 2 16 12:39 PM

Dylan Hernandez was just in the radio and confirmed what the hosts were saying that by the end of last year, Puig was the most hated player in the clubhouse. Also said he was done as a Dodger and that the FO didn't say anything yesterday because they think that they can just ignore it and it won't be a headline over the Hill/Reddick deal. Said that the FO has a habit of thinking they are smart in things like this and laughed.

General consensus was that Puig's antics are not cute anymore and it's time to dump him. They may even release him outright if claimed on waivers and no deal can get done.

#687 [url]

Aug 2 16 12:55 PM

DSinSoCal wrote:
No, it's not just you as I was thinking exactly the same thing about bringing Stewart to Denver.  Look what they did with Urias, throwing him right into the frenzy in road games in New York City, Chicago, and San Francisco.  He was also pitted against Washington twice and Baltimore once.  I guess it's called a baptism of fire for a nineteen year-old from Mexico.

#688 [url]

Aug 2 16 1:00 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
Dylan Hernandez was just in the radio and confirmed what the hosts were saying that by the end of last year, Puig was the most hated player in the clubhouse. Also said he was done as a Dodger and that the FO didn't say anything yesterday because they think that they can just ignore it and it won't be a headline over the Hill/Reddick deal. Said that the FO has a habit of thinking they are smart in things like this and laughed.

General consensus was that Puig's antics are not cute anymore and it's time to dump him. They may even release him outright if claimed on waivers and no deal can get done.
If Puig was as bad as this paints him to be (and the Van Slyke story last year backs this up), harsher disciplinary action should have been taken repeatedly.  I guess he was so good when he first came up that they didn't want to upset the flow, but apparently it got out of control.  Everyone talks about Uribe and Ryu being his friends, but it always seemed to me that they were the two who would put up with his BS and let him bully them.

#689 [url]

Aug 2 16 1:11 PM

DSinSoCal wrote:

Has any player been thrown into the fire to a greater extent than Urias?  It's not you.

If I was managing a team and brought up a rookie pitcher I'd try to bring him into his first game pitching an inning or two in a blowout or other very low pressure situation to at least get his nerves settled.  Start the first game against the NL champs in NYC?  Pitch in Denver?

I just saw Wild Hare said essentially the same thing after I posted this.

Last Edited By: beefchopper Aug 2 16 1:15 PM. Edited 1 time.

#690 [url]

Aug 2 16 1:13 PM

True2DaBlue wrote:
Wow...looks like Matt Kemp has it all figured out now! WTG Matt!

Keep on spitting 800 times a game and looking aloof out there. I'm sure you've just now figured it all out!
---------------------
Matt Kemp: "I've never really played in a baseball town before. So, I am excited about that."

I guess he didn't see the playoff games there with a half empty stadium.

Remove this ad

#691 [url]

Aug 2 16 1:16 PM

NewportDodger wrote:

First off, let me just say I don't have high regard for Dylan Hernandez. He's a Dodger fan troll to the highest degree.

Secondly, I can actually buy that Puig is probably not well liked in the clubhouse. I can see where he probably is viewed as a bit of a prima donna and high maintenance.

That said, these guys are being paid a lot of money to win ball games. Part of being a pro is learning to deal with teammates.

Again, I am not in the clubhouse so I don't know how bad Puig is, but I'm guessing he's pretty bad if they had to resort to demoting him.

OR maybe his hammy is still sore and management wants him to heal it before he comes back instead of having to baby him like they are doing right now.

Who knows?

#692 [url]

Aug 2 16 1:17 PM

NewportDodger wrote:

I think it would be exceedingly moronic to release him and cannot believe that would happen.  The Dodgers would pay out the many millions left on his contract and let him play for the Giants at MLB minimum?  NFW.

#693 [url]

Aug 2 16 1:33 PM

NewportDodger wrote:

What gall by this front office to think that the media would actually be interested in the truth and the story of the Dodgers moves at the trade deadline instead of the lies and half truths that hack Hernandez is spreading for click bait today.

#694 [url]

Aug 2 16 1:35 PM

beefchopper wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

I think it would be exceedingly moronic to release him and cannot believe that would happen.  The Dodgers would pay out the many millions left on his contract and let him play for the Giants at MLB minimum?  NFW.

I don't thnk there's anyway they release him. If someone claims him off waivers they may let them have him. Puig does have the option of opting out of contract at the end of this year and going to arbitration. If he does that then they are off the hook and could just non-tender him and let him be a free agent. Probably a dumb move on his part as nobody is going to give him the money he'd be giving up, but he and his agent might think they can get more in arbitration and not consider that he could just be non-tendered.

#695 [url]

Aug 2 16 1:43 PM

I think there is a LOT of conjecture being thrown around here, based on an incident that has already been proven to be falsely stated. 90% of everything being said about Puig here -- and the front office opinion of him -- is speculative.

It sounds like the team already planned to send him to the minors (either for rehab or demotion) to work on some things, but also tried to trade him. In either case, they informed him and his agent that he wouldn't be accompanying the team to Colorado and there is absolutely no indication that Puig handled the news any way but positively. He even took the mature high-road to Rosenthal's apology and retraction of the story.

#696 [url]

Aug 2 16 2:13 PM

First off, Dylan Hernandez is an ass-clown and is trying to follow Molly Knight's example by printing some third person BS and hoping to be relevant. Anything that jackal says should be regarded as the equivalent of fertilizer. Now, having read the Midget's half-hearted, self-serving apology and seeing Puig's reply, it seems that Puig being a first class asshole might be far from the truth. I will agree the front office needs to be come down from Olympus and remember that jackals like Hernandez and Chris Russo are salivating with anything that portrays the Dodgers in a shitty light

#697 [url]

Aug 2 16 2:22 PM

NewportDodger wrote:

General consensus? Because an ass clown with an axe to grind says something that might make him relevant. Because idiots like Chris Russo and Bill Plunkett would knock their mother off of their walker to come up with some BS about this team. Last winter's escapade with Puig and his sister should say all we need to hear about the stories about Puig. When you have the truth (with pictures) or the Enquirer like crap, print the crap and apologize on page 17 later.

#698 [url]

Aug 2 16 2:34 PM

I think most of us have learned that this FO seems to err on the side of caution and would rather not say anything. Which is a blessing and a curse. I do think the FO should address the fan base better than it has. Keeping fans in the dark in a sense doesn't shed a good light on the masses and with scenarios like the recent one and not really hearing much from management creates more of a disconnect than already is present.

Looks like Rosenthal got lazy, believed his "source" that Puig was actually there and stormed off and well, had to retract it.

Looks like Puig is sent down to the minors. Question is, no news of where he was sent down to as of this moment. Either way, would be great that he finally gets it, rips the cover off the ball and is back with the Blue in the future. That said, I also could see him just being stashed down there, placed on waivers and a team picking him up and a trade consummated. Wouldn't be the way all of us would want it to end. I think the ball (no pun intended) is in his court now.

Dylan Hernandez seems bitter. Bummer about Rockies SS Trevor Story. Great rookie year and now going under the knife and is done for 2016, according to reports.

#699 [url]

Aug 2 16 2:38 PM

Bowden on Puig:

Jim Bowden
ESPN Senior Writer

Yasiel Puig according to league sources is presently on option waivers which is just a formality and technicality...he is expected to be optioned to Oklahoma City later this week. Puig needs to work on 3 things: 1. His load which has become primarily an Exxagerated front shoulder turn which is not allowing him to get to any FB 92mph or greeter and 2. He needs to change his cavalier aloof attitude and become more game/practice intense and 3. Continue to learn to be a better teammate and team player. This will be a career changing moment for him...he'll either rebound and make the adjustments necessary to either return to the Dodgers or get trade or he'll let his uber talent go to waste which would be a shame.

#700 [url]

Aug 2 16 2:44 PM

I didn't know who had the NL worst record, and was wondering who would have first crack at claiming Puig off waivers. I laughed out loud when I saw it was the Braves. Somehow, I can't imagine a Kemp/Puig reunion in Atlanta.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help