Remove this ad

#701 [url]

Aug 2 16 2:48 PM

Looks like Zaidi is explaining stuff re: Puig.

Ken Gurnick [email protected] 13m13 minutes ago
Farhan Zaidi said Puig's demotion made more sense than DL, which was also considered.

Ken Gurnick [email protected] 10m10 minutes ago
Zaidi said Puig is expected to be sent to OKC and be there by this weekend.

Ken Gurnick [email protected]
Zaidi said on the field performance was primary reason, but off the field behavior was also a factor in Puig's demotion.

Ken Gurnick [email protected]
Zaidi said trade for Reddick was the primary driver for Puig move.

Remove this ad

#702 [url]

Aug 2 16 2:51 PM

This doesn't necessarily spell the end of Puig's Dodger career. Remember Marcell Ozuna was sent to the minors last year and who knows if part of that wasn't for an attitude adjustment. Randal Grichuk was just demoted today by the Cardinals. Kolten Wong just signed a multi-year contract and got demoted earlier this year. It happens to some of the brightest stars and there are many more examples. Dan O'Dowd just showed a chart that showed Puig's career in 25-game increments, and this provides some performance justification. (He also said the Dodgers handled him poorly.)

Anyway, I expect Puig back in Dodger blue this year and years to come. (Still don't see how Toles or SVS gives us a better chance to win in 2016, unless this is a short lived, slap in the face, now work your ass off message.)

#703 [url]

Aug 2 16 2:55 PM

Norm wrote:
I didn't know who had the NL worst record, and was wondering who would have first crack at claiming Puig off waivers. I laughed out loud when I saw it was the Braves. Somehow, I can't imagine a Kemp/Puig reunion in Atlanta.
Did you read Kemp's comments re going to Atlanta?  He basically said he after "an MVP caliber season" he got caught up in the Hollywood lifestyle, made some bad personal relationship decisions, became a bad teammate, etc., etc.  It was a well written, self indicting statement and after reading it I'd almost take his arthritic hips back in Dodger Blue IF it was more than rhetoric.

#704 [url]

Aug 2 16 3:54 PM

@billplunkettocr: #Dodgers mgr Dave Roberts was asked if Yasiel Puig required more of his time than other players. One-word response: "Yes."

#706 [url]

Aug 2 16 4:11 PM

WildHare wrote:

Norm wrote:I didn't know who had the NL worst record, and was wondering who would have first crack at claiming Puig off waivers. I laughed out loud when I saw it was the Braves. Somehow, I can't imagine a Kemp/Puig reunion in Atlanta.

Did you read Kemp's comments re going to Atlanta?  He basically said he after "an MVP caliber season" he got caught up in the Hollywood lifestyle, made some bad personal relationship decisions, became a bad teammate, etc., etc.  It was a well written, self indicting statement and after reading it I'd almost take his arthritic hips back in Dodger Blue IF it was more than rhetoric.

He also made some other comments that didn't sit too well with me.  Besides saying that he didn't think he deserved some of the criticism he's received, he also said that Atlanta was the first real baseball town that he's played in. 

#707 [url]

Aug 3 16 6:16 AM

Norm wrote:
WildHare wrote:

Norm wrote:I didn't know who had the NL worst record, and was wondering who would have first crack at claiming Puig off waivers. I laughed out loud when I saw it was the Braves. Somehow, I can't imagine a Kemp/Puig reunion in Atlanta.

He also made some other comments that didn't sit too well with me.  Besides saying that he didn't think he deserved some of the criticism he's received, he also said that Atlanta was the first real baseball town that he's played in. 
I am sure that is news to Atlanta.  Having attended a ballgame there, I would much rather see a game in Tampa.   

#709 [url]

Aug 3 16 7:16 AM

Norm wrote:
WildHare wrote:

Well, let's see.  In greater Los Angeles you have Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Laguna Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach,  Newport, and a myriad of other beaches, Universal Studios, Marina del Rey, Disneyland, the Getty museum, Griffith observatory, not to mention beautiful downtown Burbank.  In Atlanta you've got..."Damn, it's hot and humid today.  Are the Braves in town?"

Actually, it was a poor way for Kemp to attempt to ingratiate himself to all 57 remaining Brave fans.  Deep down he wishes he'd never left the bright lights of L.A.

#711 [url]

Aug 3 16 8:24 AM

FWIW, ESPN "expert" Jim Bowden's assessment of what we did. Longer article. Then again, no other team really matters, yes?

5. Los Angeles Dodgers

GM: Andrew Friedman/Farhan Zaidi

Grade: A-

Analysis: The Dodgers made the most underrated trade at the deadline when they acquired two rentals from the A's in right fielder Josh Reddick and pitcher Rich Hill in return for three prospects who either throw hard without command, are hurt or underperforming. Reddick is arguably the third-best defensive right fielder in baseball behind Jason Heyward and Adam Eaton. He has a lock-down arm, is a solid baserunner, and his slash line the last two years shows he has closed up his holes as a batter. He's also a great character player for the clubhouse. Once his blister heals, Hill could end up being the best starting pitcher who was traded at the deadline. To acquire both for three high-risk pitchers was a solid move, especially if the Dodgers sign both players to extensions at some point.

#712 [url]

Aug 3 16 10:27 AM

WildHare wrote:

Norm wrote:
WildHare wrote:

He also made some other comments that didn't sit too well with me.  Besides saying that he didn't think he deserved some of the criticism he's received, he also said that Atlanta was the first real baseball town that he's played in. Well, let's see.  In greater Los Angeles you have Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Laguna Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach,  Newport, and a myriad of other beaches, Universal Studios, Marina del Rey, Disneyland, the Getty museum, Griffith observatory, not to mention beautiful downtown Burbank.  In Atlanta you've got..."Damn, it's hot and humid today.  Are the Braves in town?"

Actually, it was a poor way for Kemp to attempt to ingratiate himself to all 57 remaining Brave fans.  Deep down he wishes he'd never left the bright lights of L.A.

Maybe he really is turning over a new leaf.  He actually drew a walk last night.

#713 [url]

Aug 3 16 10:53 AM

Norm wrote:
WildHare wrote:

Norm wrote:

He also made some other comments that didn't sit too well with me.  Besides saying that he didn't think he deserved some of the criticism he's received, he also said that Atlanta was the first real baseball town that he's played in. Well, let's see.  In greater Los Angeles you have Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Laguna Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach,  Newport, and a myriad of other beaches, Universal Studios, Marina del Rey, Disneyland, the Getty museum, Griffith observatory, not to mention beautiful downtown Burbank.  In Atlanta you've got..."Damn, it's hot and humid today.  Are the Braves in town?"

Maybe he really is turning over a new leaf.  He actually drew a walk last night.
Can't be.  BMac was in Denver.

#714 [url]

Aug 3 16 2:55 PM

Coleman & Liberatore to the DL. Kershaw to the 60 day DL. Toles sent down. Urias, Stewart & Fields called up.

Reddick not in the lineup today vs. a LHP.

#715 [url]

Aug 3 16 4:08 PM

Norm wrote:
Coleman & Liberatore to the DL. Kershaw to the 60 day DL. Toles sent down. Urias, Stewart & Fields called up.

I just pray we ever see the Kershaw we all have admired return to what he was.

#716 [url]

Aug 3 16 4:19 PM

Norm wrote:

https://twitter.com/billplunkettocr
#Dodgers Dave Roberts said Josh Reddick is "not a platoon player for us" despite his poor numbers vs LHP and not in lineup vs LHP tonight

Davey sounding stupid again just like his predecessor. Riddick does have horrible career stats vs LH but Puig is in AAA. The BP arms are starting to explode a tad sooner than I expected. Yimi & Libby elbows, Fein & Coleman shoulders/arms, Hatcher oblique, etc. Every extra inning that a starter could have gone over the course of a year adds up to help the pen. 

#717 [url]

Aug 3 16 4:40 PM

beefchopper wrote:
Norm wrote:

Best case scenario with the 60-day DL stint for Clayton, gets him back end of August.  I guess this shouldn't be a "the sky is falling" move, as there was no way he was ramping back up in under three weeks anyway.  The move clears a 40-man roster spot, but is still a bit depressing.

#718 [url]

Aug 3 16 4:42 PM

bcmaiden wrote:
Norm wrote:

#Dodgers Dave Roberts said Josh Reddick is "not a platoon player for us" despite his poor numbers vs LHP and not in lineup vs LHP tonight

Davey sounding stupid again just like his predecessor. Riddick does have horrible career stats vs LH but Puig is in AAA. The BP arms are starting to explode a tad sooner than I expected. Yimi & Libby elbows, Fein & Coleman shoulders/arms, Hatcher oblique, etc. Every extra inning that a starter could have gone over the course of a year adds up to help the pen. 
Show of hands!  Who likes SVS in right over Pug?

Crickets.  Wait, apparently the front office does!

#719 [url]

Aug 3 16 4:50 PM

WildHare wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
Norm wrote:

Best case scenario with the 60-day DL stint for Clayton, gets him back end of August.  I guess this shouldn't be a "the sky is falling" move, as there was no way he was ramping back up in under three weeks anyway.  The move clears a 40-man roster spot, but is still a bit depressing.

There's no way to know.  The FO keeps everything completely close to the vest.  I could understand it before the trade deadline as letting the news out would make it harder to trade.  Now, not so much.  I'd bet they knew this would be the case some time ago.

#720 [url]

Aug 3 16 5:18 PM

bcmaiden wrote:
Norm wrote:

I'm still waiting for Roberts to prove that he is capable of managing in the big leagues because he looks like he doesn't understand the nuances at all.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help