Remove this ad

#721 [url]

Aug 3 16 6:11 PM

Before he was traded by the Athletics to the Dodgers, southpaw Rich Hill was seeking around $28MM over two years in the extension talks between the sides, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. That’s certainly an interesting number to ponder: it’s shockingly high for a player of Hill’s background, but is rather cheap compared with the cost of top-end starting pitching on the open market, particularly given the dearth of arms coming this winter. Despite the risk, Hill has pitched at an extremely high level when healthy, and the guess here is that plenty of teams would be happy to take that chance for less than the expected annual rate of a qualifying offer (which is expected to be $16.7MM). Last fall, Marco Estrada commanded $26MM over two years in a deal struck while he pondered a QO, providing something of a comparable, though Hill is older and probably should come with wider band of reasonable performance expectations. Regardless whether that was a reasonable request for a raise over Hill’s current $6MM salary — which he landed despite only a four-start audition late last year — it provides some insight into the thinking of an interesting pending free agent. (Notably, the trade also means that Hill won’t be eligible to receive a qualifying offer.)

Remove this ad

#722 [url]

Aug 3 16 8:07 PM

WildHare wrote:

He also made some other comments that didn't sit too well with me.  Besides saying that he didn't think he deserved some of the criticism he's received, he also said that Atlanta was the first real baseball town that he's played in. Well, let's see.  In greater Los Angeles you have Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Laguna Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach,  Newport, and a myriad of other beaches, Universal Studios, Marina del Rey, Disneyland, the Getty museum, Griffith observatory, not to mention beautiful downtown Burbank.  In Atlanta you've got..."Damn, it's hot and humid today.  Are the Braves in town?"

Actually, it was a poor way for Kemp to attempt to ingratiate himself to all 57 remaining Brave fans.  Deep down he wishes he'd never left the bright lights of L.A.

Yeah, I haven't read the Kemp article yet, but I did see that quote and, while he should have either kept that to himself or phrased it better, I got what he meant.  Beyond what Jerry said, L.A., at least sports wise, has primarily been a Laker town since the 1980s.  Not that the Dodgers are far behind (especially with the Lakers sucking ass the past 3 years), but with Showtime Shaq/Kobe, Kobe/Pau, etc., they've gotten most of the attention, whereas things, I guess, tend to be different in Atlanta with what's left of their base.

#723 [url]

Aug 4 16 9:13 AM

WildHare wrote:
bcmaiden wrote:
Norm wrote:
Coleman & Liberatore to the DL. Kershaw to the 60 day DL. Toles sent down. Urias, Stewart & Fields called up.

Reddick not in the lineup today vs. a LHP.

https://twitter.com/billplunkettocr
#Dodgers Dave Roberts said Josh Reddick is "not a platoon player for us" despite his poor numbers vs LHP and not in lineup vs LHP tonight

Davey sounding stupid again just like his predecessor. Riddick does have horrible career stats vs LH but Puig is in AAA. The BP arms are starting to explode a tad sooner than I expected. Yimi & Libby elbows, Fein & Coleman shoulders/arms, Hatcher oblique, etc. Every extra inning that a starter could have gone over the course of a year adds up to help the pen. 
Show of hands!  Who likes SVS in right over Pug?

Crickets.  Wait, apparently the front office does!

There's really no other explanation other than Puig is so much of a POS with a complete disregard for authority.  

And as it appears that's the case, I'm raising my hand.  Both, honestly.

#724 [url]

Aug 4 16 9:55 AM

monsooner wrote:
WildHare wrote:
bcmaiden wrote:

#Dodgers Dave Roberts said Josh Reddick is "not a platoon player for us" despite his poor numbers vs LHP and not in lineup vs LHP tonight

Davey sounding stupid again just like his predecessor. Riddick does have horrible career stats vs LH but Puig is in AAA. The BP arms are starting to explode a tad sooner than I expected. Yimi & Libby elbows, Fein & Coleman shoulders/arms, Hatcher oblique, etc. Every extra inning that a starter could have gone over the course of a year adds up to help the pen. 

There's really no other explanation other than Puig is so much of a POS with a complete disregard for authority.  

Puig is a prima donna, and always has been.  It's the timing on it that I don't get.  Did he suddenly commit some transgression beyond what he had previously done?   (Alanna Rizzo is not on the trip to CO, either.  Start a nasty, unfounded rumor.)  smiley: eek  Seriously, what really bothers me is that Reddick has already been shown to be considered a platoon player, DRob's denial notwithstanding.

Any problems Puig has dealing with authority should have been addressed years ago.  What else does our roster of ex-GM's have to do?  Come to think of it, what do Hunsicker, Anthopolous, Byrnes, Colletti, Friedman, et al do with their time?  I know it's not their job(s) to lecture players, but the on-field staff should be getting some direction if they're allowing players to run amok.

#725 [url]

Aug 4 16 11:11 AM

monsooner wrote:
WildHare wrote:
bcmaiden wrote:

As a fellow anti-authoritarian, I can respect disregard for authority. But disregard for authority only works when you do your job very well!

#726 [url]

Aug 4 16 12:34 PM

Shmolnick wrote:
monsooner wrote:
WildHare wrote:

As a fellow anti-authoritarian, I can respect disregard for authority. But disregard for authority only works when you do your job very well!

Of course, that falls within the interpretation of what a "good job" is.   If, for instance, the job is to annoy authority, then Puig is an All-Star.

#727 [url]

Aug 4 16 1:44 PM

Shmolnick wrote:
monsooner wrote:
WildHare wrote:

I wouldn't even call it an anti-authoritarian stance as I would call it the Spoiled Child Complex. We are finding out that a vast number of these Cuban ball players look to have been indulged from Day One and because they were the chosen few, all they know is coddling and sparing of the rod, as it were, so I don't know if we could've done anything more than we did to change his nature. We see it with some of our own athletes who think and act as if they are better and choose to thumb their noses at social, ethical and even legal parameters. Guerrero was lazy, Arruebarrena disregarded authority and Puig might've been a combination of both. I hate to see that kind of waste of talent but maybe he has to hit bottom before he gets it. Let's hope that a kid like Alvarez gets the hint and doesn't waste the opportunity placed in front of him.

#728 [url]

Aug 4 16 4:10 PM

Now Norris shows a strained back on his MRI. Beyond belief.

Remove this ad

#729 [url]

Aug 4 16 4:57 PM

beefchopper wrote:
Now Norris shows a strained back on his MRI. Beyond belief.
Isn't it odd that the front office was really concerned about two pitchers having injury issues.  

They baled out on Iwakuma because they thought he wouldn't hold up and all he has done is start 22 games and thrown 138 innings.  Of course, the other big worry was Maeda and they restructured his contract and he's started 22 games.  

Withdraw the Mensa applications!

#730 [url]

Aug 5 16 3:53 AM

monsooner wrote:

I think you're all overthinking this.  The answer is much simpler than being a malcontent or disregarding authority.  Those things take effort and if there's one thing we've learned over the years it's that Yasiel Puig isn't exactly fond of effort for the most part.

Puig's issue is an issue that has plauged many latin ballplayers for years -- by every measure he has it made.  So why does he need to a) work harder, b) take coaching instruction, or c) listen to the front office?

While 42 million dollars is a fraction of what Puig could earn over his career if he were to actually apply himself and harness his talent anywhere close to its fullest, the truth of the matter is that it's 42 million more dollars than he grew up with.  He's rich beyond his wildest dreams and he got that money through using his genetic gifts without working too hard to hone them. 

Why should he take coaching?  He got there already just doing what he has always done.  He doesn't need to become "baseball smart" because his natural talent has been enough all this time.  He doesn't need to be a good teammate because he has been good enough to get this far being a shitty teammate.

Puig isn't the first, and certainly won't be the last latin player to have these issues.  In a way he reminds me of a poor man's Raul Mondesi, another player who figured they had it made early on and rode it only as far as his natural talent would take him and nor farther.  The same thing can be said for the other Cubans listed in this thread whom the Dodgers have had issues with (Arrubaruena and Guerrero).  They get guaranteed contracts that make them richer than most people will experience and they stop putting in the hard work.

Puig has extreme talent married to a poor work ethic and a hard head.  That combination will only get so far and, with regard to Puig, we've now it's upper bound. 

Told you that the Dodgers should've traded him last off-season or at last year's trading deadline.  :)  At least then he had some value.

#732 [url]

Aug 5 16 5:55 AM

beefchopper wrote:
This brings the problem of worthless, out of control umpires to a whole new level. Is MLB really going to allow this? http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/8/2/12365324/home-plate-umpire-halts-the-game-to-eject-a-heckling-fan-from-the
I had heard about this and was told by a friend that an umpire kicked out an abusive Giants fan.  So, maybe that's why I have a completely different take on it.  "Abusive Giant Fan" did it for me.

We have all been to games and had the experience all but ruined by unruly, ignorant, obnoxious loud mouthed "fans".  They are not really fans.  They come to the game to create a scene and draw attention to themselves.   They don't cheer for their team.  They constantl verbally taunt the opposition players and/or the umpires.  I wish more venues would control these loud mouthed hooligans.  Yes, I've heard it at Dodger Stadium, too.  I'm glad Bob Davidson had the jerk ejected from the box seats.

#733 [url]

Aug 25 16 1:24 PM

Carlos Ruiz and cash to the Dodgers for AJ Ellis, Tommy Bergjans and a PTBNL. WOW.

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

#734 [url]

Aug 25 16 3:19 PM

bigblaster wrote:
Carlos Ruiz and cash to the Dodgers for AJ Ellis, Tommy Bergjans and a PTBNL. WOW.

I get that Ruiz is a better player, but I'm more concern this will take away something from clubhouse that cant be replaced.

#735 [url]

Aug 31 16 6:04 PM

Today is the last day that a deal can be made that affects the playoff roster. So, I shall close this thread and hope that we won't have to open a winter thread until November.

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help