Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Aug 26 16 9:09 PM

I'm increasingly not minding letting Kenley walk, this offseason.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Aug 26 16 9:11 PM

ItTakesFaith wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Because we can definitely trust Joan going into the future...(huh?)

If Kenley walks, I'd bet even money he winds up in SF...

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Aug 26 16 9:11 PM

Matthew wrote:

This isn't even an aspect I think about much, but Kenley has issues with runners on base and that is something I don't see with Chapman.   Heyward messed with Kenley's mind and it showed.  

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Aug 26 16 9:12 PM

ItTakesFaith wrote:

Matthew wrote:I'm increasingly not minding letting Kenley walk, this offseason.

Joan isn't the answer. But as each week passes, I'm increasingly wondering if Jansen can be trusted in the future. I don't want to pay $75 million to find out. 

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Aug 26 16 9:23 PM

ItTakesFaith wrote:
ItTakesFaith wrote:
Matthew wrote:

If Kenley walks, I'd bet even money he winds up in SF...

San Francisco is an option, but I am thinking the Rangers or Jays make more sense.    Jansen would free up Sanchez to the rotation and Osuna is not quite ready for the elite class of closer.    Rangers also could use a closer.    Even the Cardinals could be an option, although Reyes can light up the gun.   I just don't think the Gints will go over the cap for a closer.   As it is, Posey, Crawford and Belt start getting big money and Cueto is still one year from opting out.   

Just about right.   Middle of our lineup looks like shit against a stiff like Wood and the Cubs get another at bat to light up our pen.   Thanks, again, Kenley.  

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Aug 26 16 9:25 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:

This isn't even an aspect I think about much, but Kenley has issues with runners on base and that is something I don't see with Chapman.   Heyward messed with Kenley's mind and it showed.  

Don't get me wrong, I've generally loved Kenley since he came up, like everyone here.  But as each blown save piles up this year, it's kind of brought to focus that he doesn't seem to be a guy who's really bothered to work on his weaknesses and just relies on a cutter.  6 years later and it's still open season on him on the basepaths; he still forgets he has a slider, which leaves him vulnerable when his cutter isn't working.  An inning like tonight brought that into focus, once again.  I won't disagree with anyone who argues he's been a top 5 reliever, but there's some cracks starting to show, and it might not be worth taking the long-term risk.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Aug 26 16 9:26 PM

Matthew wrote:
ItTakesFaith wrote:

Joan isn't the answer. But as each week passes, I'm increasingly wondering if Jansen can be trusted in the future. I don't want to pay $75 million to find out. 

If we don't sign Kenley, I figure we will open up the checkbook huge for Chapman.   I have ruminated on that idea and like it even more.   We pocket a draft pick and get an elite closer.    I would rather pay him the $75 million and take a chance on him having anger issues then Kenley and his inability to hold runners to save his life.  

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Aug 26 16 9:28 PM

Well, it is nearly 1:30 in the morning and I would like to try to sleep in to six, so I am calling it a night. Don't see us getting two runs, or more, off of Chapman.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#53 [url]

Aug 27 16 3:22 AM

bob007hh wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
That 1.000 batting average looks good.

Ruiz has walked, HBP, and singled - putting him on base 3 times so far this game. AJ got on base 3 times all of August for the Dodgers. 
AJ can catch the ball, though.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Aug 27 16 5:13 AM

WildHare wrote:
bob007hh wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
That 1.000 batting average looks good.

Ruiz has walked, HBP, and singled - putting him on base 3 times so far this game. AJ got on base 3 times all of August for the Dodgers. 

The new catcher acquired in the A.J. Ellis trade had a nice debut ruined when he was unable to handle closer Kenley Jansen in the ninth inning. A strike-three slider in the dirt bounced off his backhand glove attempt to allow the tying run to take third, then when calling for a high cutter, he simply missed the pitch that let the tying run home. The official scorer ruled a wild pitch that could have been called a passed ball.

"I don't have an excuse, I should have caught that ball and I don't know what happened," said Ruiz, who went 1-for-3 with a walk and was hit by a pitch. "It's the first time that I caught him and his ball was moving real good. It surprised me right there. Like I said, I should have caught that one. I'll move forward, come back tomorrow, and get it done."

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Aug 27 16 7:05 AM

beefchopper wrote:
WildHare wrote:
bob007hh wrote:

The new catcher acquired in the A.J. Ellis trade had a nice debut ruined when he was unable to handle closer Kenley Jansen in the ninth inning. A strike-three slider in the dirt bounced off his backhand glove attempt to allow the tying run to take third, then when calling for a high cutter, he simply missed the pitch that let the tying run home. The official scorer ruled a wild pitch that could have been called a passed ball.

"I don't have an excuse, I should have caught that ball and I don't know what happened," said Ruiz, who went 1-for-3 with a walk and was hit by a pitch. "It's the first time that I caught him and his ball was moving real good. It surprised me right there. Like I said, I should have caught that one. I'll move forward, come back tomorrow, and get it done."

In all fairness, Kenley completely missed the location.   Ruiz was set up down and Kenley must've thought he was throwing to the taller Ellis because that ball had steam and was heading to the screen as soon as he let go.    Let's keep in mind that Kenley had a complete meltdown because he cannot hold runners and it messed with his mind.   Reading some writer kvetch because Ruiz isn't 6'2" seems like blaming the wrong person.    Kenley, for all of his positives, is still nothing more than a catcher turned into a pitcher.   The basics of pitching are beyond him and he will never be comfortable with a secondary pitch, holding runners or even the mental aspects of the game on the hill.  Dropping $75 to $80 million on him is a scary proposition.    Would rather drop that coin on Chapman, at least he can handle runners on base and he has a secondary offering.  

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Aug 27 16 8:31 AM

Nobody mentions Blanton giving up a run or Liberatore coughing up two in the tenth. It's deemed Kenley in meltdown mode for his allowing a double and then two stoppable balls getting by the catcher. The ignominy, and now we can't even blame AJ for calling the wrong pitch.

I don't entirely fault Ruiz for what should have been ruled a passed ball. How many times have we seen all star games where the catcher is boxing pitches just because he's never caught a guy before. One more reason the timing of this deal is so wrong.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Aug 27 16 9:33 AM

I think Chapman is either staying where he is or going back to the Yankees. I doubt he comes to the Dodgers. Both of those other teams have just as much money to spend it even more actually because the Dodgers tend to tighten the wallet when it comes to longterm deals.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Aug 27 16 5:32 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
WildHare wrote:

In all fairness, Kenley completely missed the location.   Ruiz was set up down and Kenley must've thought he was throwing to the taller Ellis because that ball had steam and was heading to the screen as soon as he let go.    Let's keep in mind that Kenley had a complete meltdown because he cannot hold runners and it messed with his mind.   Reading some writer kvetch because Ruiz isn't 6'2" seems like blaming the wrong person.    Kenley, for all of his positives, is still nothing more than a catcher turned into a pitcher.   The basics of pitching are beyond him and he will never be comfortable with a secondary pitch, holding runners or even the mental aspects of the game on the hill.  Dropping $75 to $80 million on him is a scary proposition.    Would rather drop that coin on Chapman, at least he can handle runners on base and he has a secondary offering.  

Kenley is one of the top closers in the game, and you call him nothing more than a converted catcher?  You call giving up a double and then the new catcher failing to properly block a breaking ball and whiffing on a high fastball, a meltdown?  

Hope you saw Baez today give a bunt single, throw it into right field, balk the runner to third, allow a single on a hanger, and then walk the next guy in a 30 minute two out effort.  If giving up a double and your catcher flubbing two is a meltdown, this must have been a nuclear holocaust.  

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Aug 27 16 7:54 PM

WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
beefchopper wrote:

Kenley is one of the top closers in the game, and you call him nothing more than a converted catcher?  You call giving up a double and then the new catcher failing to properly block a breaking ball and whiffing on a high fastball, a meltdown?  

Hope you saw Baez today give a bunt single, throw it into right field, balk the runner to third, allow a single on a hanger, and then walk the next guy in a 30 minute two out effort.  If giving up a double and your catcher flubbing two is a meltdown, this must have been a nuclear holocaust.  

Wow, I guess I have to explain this is in simple terms.   Kenley cannot hold runners!   He is great when no one is on base, but he is not the guy you want out there with a guy who can steal bases or even make Kenley think he will.   Like Matthew said, he has learned little of the finer aspects of pitching in six years.    He gets flustered easily with runners on base, he doesn't trust anything offspeed and he is getting by on pure stuff.    Someday in the not too distant future, he will have to adapt and I would prefer that he do that with another team paying the bill.  Even at this point in his career, he is not a pitcher but a thrower.   He has the magic pitch, but as pitching is relatively new to him, he doesn't do the little things like the slide step,  altering his windup to keep baserunners honest and the minute he figures out that changing plains on the hitter he will be close to unhittable.  

I can almost understand the Ellis love of late because that is the only reason I can get the venom directed at Ruiz.    I almost wish I could be a slow, glib catcher who can't hit but knew enough to make friends with the best player on the team.   I might be making over $4 million per for being the 26th man on a 25-man roster.    Hell, the first thing I thought when I heard about that deal was that Ruiz will be blamed for any and all shortcomings of this team.     Of course, Ellis had very little to do with the fact that the team is in first save being an expensive cheerleader.   But, that is besides the point.  Ellis is a lifetime Dodger and because he is eligible for a gold watch, he deserves a roster spot until he is walks away on his own volition even though he has been done for the past two plus seasons.   I respect loyalty, but it works both ways and I cannot remember Ellis giving back any pay checks lately.   

Lastly, I didn't see the Baez play, didn't get the game in Lower Canada and ended watching some high school kids play soccer.    But, don't count me in as a Baez backer.  I was calling for him to be dealt in March.   I still think he will end up as a one pitch pitcher who will find work, but because he can do little more than throw, he will never reach his potential.    

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Aug 28 16 12:45 AM

It certainly wouldn't surprise me in the least if Chapman remembers that the Dodgers cancelled the trade for him, adding to his embarrassment, and as a result will not consider signing with them in the offseason.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help