Remove this ad

Washington Nationals vs. Los Angeles Dodgers - Rich Hill vs. Max Scherzer Game #5 NLDS - 10-13-16

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

#221 [url]

Oct 14 16 8:52 AM

Matthew wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
I guess you can never underestimate heart so while the Cubs are a machine, sometimes the little guy can knock your ass out.

The Cubs are going to be insanely tough, and are probably rightfully still considered the favorites. But if I were a Cubs fan, I'd be a little scared, right now. 
Kenley and Kersh surgically removed the goat horns from Grant Dayton.  Now, may they be firmly and permanently implanted where they belong on the Goat Cursed Cubs.smiley: smile

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#222 [url]

Oct 14 16 10:26 AM

beefchopper wrote:
Who would have predicted that adding Chooch would be more important than adding Hill and Reddick? I sure as hell wouldn't have.

It wasn't even the hit that put us ahead, it was the way he guided Kenley and Opie through foreign territory. He wasn't going to let either Harper or Werth beat us and on that last pitch, Chooch became as big as a backstop to keep Opie's curve in front of him. Not saying AJ would've done worse, but Chooch seems to know the little things that make a huge difference in winning the "big" games. While I am about, I think everyone should read. Tom Verducci's take on Kershaw at si.com. It is probably the most thoughtful look at Kershaw and his legacy.

Quote    Reply   

#223 [url]

Oct 14 16 11:26 AM

So now we get a completely messed up Maeda going Saturday against a well rested Cub team. I doubt we see KJ in that game. It's basically looking like the deck is stacked against us in the first game but all we need is a split.

It sucks that Maeda has turned into complete shit at the worst possible time.

Quote    Reply   

#224 [url]

Oct 14 16 12:00 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
So now we get a completely messed up Maeda going Saturday against a well rested Cub team. I doubt we see KJ in that game. It's basically looking like the deck is stacked against us in the first game but all we need is a split.

It sucks that Maeda has turned into complete shit at the worst possible time.

So, basically, we've got 'em right where we want 'em...(!)

Quote    Reply   

#225 [url]

Oct 14 16 12:12 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
beefchopper wrote:
Who would have predicted that adding Chooch would be more important than adding Hill and Reddick? I sure as hell wouldn't have.

It wasn't even the hit that put us ahead, it was the way he guided Kenley and Opie through foreign territory. He wasn't going to let either Harper or Werth beat us and on that last pitch, Chooch became as big as a backstop to keep Opie's curve in front of him. Not saying AJ would've done worse, but Chooch seems to know the little things that make a huge difference in winning the "big" games. While I am about, I think everyone should read. Tom Verducci's take on Kershaw at si.com. It is probably the most thoughtful look at Kershaw and his legacy.

Great article.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote    Reply   

#226 [url]

Oct 14 16 1:21 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:
And I don't see the 25-man roster changing other than Dayton being replaced by Libby or Howell. Cubs have one lefty starter, just like the Nats. Toles did well enough. And I'd like to see Puig more often than Reddick, at this point.
Liberatore is out, elbow surgery.   I like the idea of adding both Brock Stewart and Jose DeLeon to the roster because our starters (even Kershaw) are going to be given very little rope.   I would be shocked if Maeda even goes five on Saturday, not because of pitching badly but because the situation calls for it.   If we get an early run or two off of Lester, the minute the Cubs start making noise, the pen will be up.  

I don't know what to expect on the position player front.   The only move I can see if maybe Micah Johnson (for his base running) and sitting either Culberson or going with only two catchers.   But I think that is very unlikely.    Quietly, I am thinking that whenever this season ends will be Puig's last in a Dodger uniform.    I figure he is Milwaukee bound (for Braun) and we make a big play to resign Reddick and hope Trayce is 100% in '17.  
Forgot about Libby being out.  But what's interesting, and I'm sure something they've discussed, is the possibility of us needing 13 pitchers in this series.  I mean, Maeda, Hill, and Urias simply cannot be counted on for more than 3 or 4 innings.  Stripling is a nice insurance piece, but as you say, I think we need Stewart and/or DeLeon as a THIRTEENTH arm.  That means either Barnes or Culberson is out, with Howie being super-sub and Turner covering SS if Seager gets hurt.

I don't know about Puig.  He's been a quiet, good boy from all accounts since his demotion.  And Reddick isn't popular - in terms of his play - with most fans.  Puig is NOT a platoon player, while Reddick clearly is.  Plus, I think we'd have had a 4-2 victory last night if Puig was manning RF in the early innings.  Reddick's arm is clearly inferior.  IMO, the upside with Puig is still incredibly fun to consider.

Quote    Reply   

#227 [url]

Oct 14 16 2:04 PM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:
And I don't see the 25-man roster changing other than Dayton being replaced by Libby or Howell. Cubs have one lefty starter, just like the Nats. Toles did well enough. And I'd like to see Puig more often than Reddick, at this point.
Liberatore is out, elbow surgery.   I like the idea of adding both Brock Stewart and Jose DeLeon to the roster because our starters (even Kershaw) are going to be given very little rope.   I would be shocked if Maeda even goes five on Saturday, not because of pitching badly but because the situation calls for it.   If we get an early run or two off of Lester, the minute the Cubs start making noise, the pen will be up.  

I don't know what to expect on the position player front.   The only move I can see if maybe Micah Johnson (for his base running) and sitting either Culberson or going with only two catchers.   But I think that is very unlikely.    Quietly, I am thinking that whenever this season ends will be Puig's last in a Dodger uniform.    I figure he is Milwaukee bound (for Braun) and we make a big play to resign Reddick and hope Trayce is 100% in '17.  
Forgot about Libby being out.  But what's interesting, and I'm sure something they've discussed, is the possibility of us needing 13 pitchers in this series.  I mean, Maeda, Hill, and Urias simply cannot be counted on for more than 3 or 4 innings.  Stripling is a nice insurance piece, but as you say, I think we need Stewart and/or DeLeon as a THIRTEENTH arm.  That means either Barnes or Culberson is out, with Howie being super-sub and Turner covering SS if Seager gets hurt.

I don't know about Puig.  He's been a quiet, good boy from all accounts since his demotion.  And Reddick isn't popular - in terms of his play - with most fans.  Puig is NOT a platoon player, while Reddick clearly is.  Plus, I think we'd have had a 4-2 victory last night if Puig was manning RF in the early innings.  Reddick's arm is clearly inferior.  IMO, the upside with Puig is still incredibly fun to consider.

Full agreement on the extra bullpen arm, and I could be okay with either DeLeon or Stewart, while wishing we had Ravin.  Dayton's performance last night was borderline disastrous, but he has been very solid both in the minors and with the Dodgers.  Only chink in his armor has been his penchant for the long ball.  That leadoff four pitch walk hurt last night and got him into a bad state.  But, I'd keep him on the postseason roster and add either JDL or Stewart to go along with Stripling for long relief.  Only lefty reliever option to replace Dayton would be JP, and I think Dayton is the guy.

Quote    Reply   

#228 [url]

Oct 14 16 5:07 PM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:

I agree. I'd absolutely start Puig. There is the potential for big upside. With Reddick there may be a few singles at the cost of mediocre defense.

Quote    Reply   

#229 [url]

Oct 14 16 6:05 PM

WildHare wrote:
monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

Full agreement on the extra bullpen arm, and I could be okay with either DeLeon or Stewart, while wishing we had Ravin.  Dayton's performance last night was borderline disastrous, but he has been very solid both in the minors and with the Dodgers.  Only chink in his armor has been his penchant for the long ball.  That leadoff four pitch walk hurt last night and got him into a bad state.  But, I'd keep him on the postseason roster and add either JDL or Stewart to go along with Stripling for long relief.  Only lefty reliever option to replace Dayton would be JP, and I think Dayton is the guy.

It would not put it past this FO to manipulate the injured player in the playoffs rule to get an extra arm on the roster for the first game or 2. 

Quote    Reply   

#230 [url]

Oct 15 16 7:03 AM

Did something happen to Wood in September to prevent him being an option? I thought I saw some good relief appearances, but maybe I missed a few that were not so good. I would think maybe he could be a guy who could go against a lefty, but also maybe go 2 innings.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#231 [url]

Oct 15 16 7:51 AM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:

See, I like Reddick.  His defense is not as good as Puig's, but I have a hard time thinking of someone who plays defense at the same level and that includes the highly overrated Heyward and equally overrated Polanco.   Reddick is reported to be very popular in the clubhouse and with Roberts.   Sure, he is a platoon player, but it is not like we don't have options as a righty stick with Trayce likely being our fourth outfielder in '17.   I feel that Puig's offensive approach is a mess and his bat still looks slow to me.   I say cut bait while his value is still based on 2013.   If the Brewers are willing to move Braun for Puig and if we are willing to eat a lot of that contract, I do the deal in a second.    Likely, if the deal comes to pass, it will be Braun and some cash for Puig and a farm piece or two.  I figure we get a couple million per year from the Brewers and the farm pieces are likely lower level guys who are not in the top twenty.   

I figure we slot in Braun between Ginger Jesus and AGon and we improve mightily against lefties.   I doubt we make any other big trades or anything and our signings will likely resigning our own free agents (Hill, Reddick, Turner, Jansen and Blanton).    I would venture we might also resign Chooch and Utley, while maybe inking a leftty reliever because I am not sold on any of the lefties we have going into '17.    Aside from Blanton and Jansen, none of those guys inspire confidence in me going forward.   

Quote    Reply   

#232 [url]

Oct 17 16 11:27 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

See, I like Reddick.  His defense is not as good as Puig's, but I have a hard time thinking of someone who plays defense at the same level and that includes the highly overrated Heyward and equally overrated Polanco.   Reddick is reported to be very popular in the clubhouse and with Roberts.   Sure, he is a platoon player, but it is not like we don't have options as a righty stick with Trayce likely being our fourth outfielder in '17.   I feel that Puig's offensive approach is a mess and his bat still looks slow to me.   I say cut bait while his value is still based on 2013.   If the Brewers are willing to move Braun for Puig and if we are willing to eat a lot of that contract, I do the deal in a second.    Likely, if the deal comes to pass, it will be Braun and some cash for Puig and a farm piece or two.  I figure we get a couple million per year from the Brewers and the farm pieces are likely lower level guys who are not in the top twenty.   

I figure we slot in Braun between Ginger Jesus and AGon and we improve mightily against lefties.   I doubt we make any other big trades or anything and our signings will likely resigning our own free agents (Hill, Reddick, Turner, Jansen and Blanton).    I would venture we might also resign Chooch and Utley, while maybe inking a leftty reliever because I am not sold on any of the lefties we have going into '17.    Aside from Blanton and Jansen, none of those guys inspire confidence in me going forward.   
I would have no problem with the Braun-for-Puig deal in the Winter.  I agree his value may not get any higher. But right now... I want Puig in the lineup over Reddick, and I want him pacing like a lion around RF.  Reddick is a singles-guy, and hasn't come through in the clutch with anything since his acquisition.  He's Shawn Green without the power.

I believe if Puig were getting regular ABs, he'd be raking.  The problem with the way teams play the playoffs these days is that nearly every platoon option is used around the 5th or 6th inning.  Meaning even if we start Puig the rest of the series, he might see two ABs a game and be pulled.  So maybe it's 6-1, half-dozen to the other, but given the amount of defensive time in RF for the starter, I'll take Puig all day.

Quote    Reply   

#233 [url]

Oct 17 16 1:11 PM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:

I would have no problem with the Braun-for-Puig deal in the Winter.  I agree his value may not get any higher. But right now... I want Puig in the lineup over Reddick, and I want him pacing like a lion around RF.  Reddick is a singles-guy, and hasn't come through in the clutch with anything since his acquisition.  He's Shawn Green without the power.

I believe if Puig were getting regular ABs, he'd be raking.  The problem with the way teams play the playoffs these days is that nearly every platoon option is used around the 5th or 6th inning.  Meaning even if we start Puig the rest of the series, he might see two ABs a game and be pulled.  So maybe it's 6-1, half-dozen to the other, but given the amount of defensive time in RF for the starter, I'll take Puig all day.

I still think Puig has some game left, but he is so mercurial and petulant, that maybe the best thing for him is letting him go.   I figure, even if we don't resign Reddick, we got some very nice options - Toles, Verdugo and Bellinger, who could all play right for us in '17.    I know, defensively, we lose little with any of the three and Verdugo's arm is nearly as good as Puig's.   I figure that Trayce will get a fair number of at bats against most if not all lefites.    From a finacial standpoint, letting Reddick walk is not a bad idea.   Just as long as we resign Hill because dealing three arms like Cotton, Montas and Holmes for less than a half of a season seems a bit expensive.   Let's just say, me and the boy have had this discussion on nearly a daily basis - he is supposed to be working but he seems to find about an hour a day to discuss baseball through texting.    He wants an outfield of Braun, Pederson and Reddick and he campaigns like a veteran politician for that arrangement.    

Quote    Reply   

#234 [url]

Oct 17 16 1:53 PM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:

I also would prefer to see Puig playing every day in the playoffs but would love to see him traded for Braun.  I still think Puig will be a star some day but am convinced it will not be as a Dodger.

Quote    Reply   

#235 [url]

Oct 17 16 2:33 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

I still think Puig has some game left, but he is so mercurial and petulant, that maybe the best thing for him is letting him go.   I figure, even if we don't resign Reddick, we got some very nice options - Toles, Verdugo and Bellinger, who could all play right for us in '17.    I know, defensively, we lose little with any of the three and Verdugo's arm is nearly as good as Puig's.   I figure that Trayce will get a fair number of at bats against most if not all lefites.    From a finacial standpoint, letting Reddick walk is not a bad idea.   Just as long as we resign Hill because dealing three arms like Cotton, Montas and Holmes for less than a half of a season seems a bit expensive.   Let's just say, me and the boy have had this discussion on nearly a daily basis - he is supposed to be working but he seems to find about an hour a day to discuss baseball through texting.    He wants an outfield of Braun, Pederson and Reddick and he campaigns like a veteran politician for that arrangement.    
Your son should seriously consider a career in politics, because that outfield reminds me of 99% of the bills that are pushed through congress: 2/3 of it are actually helpful to society, and 1/3 is pure garbage, "don't look at this part," crap.  smiley: happy

Quote    Reply   

#236 [url]

Oct 17 16 2:57 PM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:

Your son should seriously consider a career in politics, because that outfield reminds me of 99% of the bills that are pushed through congress: 2/3 of it are actually helpful to society, and 1/3 is pure garbage, "don't look at this part," crap.  smiley: happy

perfect analogy 

Quote    Reply   

#238 [url]

Oct 17 16 4:48 PM

I really can't get behind resigning Hill, no matter what he does in this series. I can only guess what he will command in dollars and years. Supposedly management had wanted him for a while. Just knowing we will be lucky to get 125-145 innings just makes me nervous. If he agrees to a deal similar to Maeda but less years (2, maybe 3), then maybe. I'm good with Kershaw, Urias, DeLeon, Maeda, and McCarthy and who ever else for the 5th spot. Oh yeah, Wood in that mix as well. As well as Stripling.

Quote    Reply   

#239 [url]

Oct 17 16 7:02 PM

hagdag26 wrote:
I really can't get behind resigning Hill, no matter what he does in this series. I can only guess what he will command in dollars and years. Supposedly management had wanted him for a while. Just knowing we will be lucky to get 125-145 innings just makes me nervous. If he agrees to a deal similar to Maeda but less years (2, maybe 3), then maybe. I'm good with Kershaw, Urias, DeLeon, Maeda, and McCarthy and who ever else for the 5th spot. Oh yeah, Wood in that mix as well. As well as Stripling.

I believe Hill asked Oakland for two years at $12 million each and turned down their offer of less right before they traded him to the Dodgers. Has he done so well at LA that he should have enhanced his value since leaving Oakland?

Quote    Reply   

#240 [url]

Oct 17 16 7:23 PM

I would say no, but those numbers are probably out the window once he is a free agent. I guess it would just depend how badly the front office wants to retain him.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help