Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 19 16 7:39 AM

Tags : :

The Dodgers take the field tonight with two NLCS wins in the books, something they haven't done since Ned was the GM.  And to take their next step towards the promised land they call on Julio Urias.  They haven't asked much of this kid, have they?  Despite being the youngest in the majors they "ease him in" by asking him to make his first major league start (and appearance) in New York of all places and against the NL champions.  As i that wasn't enough of a test of courage, they ask him to make his next start against the Cubs who were to become the team with the best record in the majors this year.  They then forced him to shuttle back and forth to the minors many times and into and out of the bullpen as well as constantly changing the length of time between his starts.  Talk about trial by fire!  And now they found one more way to challenge the kid by only asking him to be the youngest person in the history of baseball to start a post season game.  Wow.  But the kid has shown no fear and never seems to get flustered so it is easy to be confident he will shrug off this new pressure as well.  Personally I'm more afraid the umps will get into his head by calling a balk on him than I am of the enormity of the moment getting to him.

The Dodgers face John Lackey.  At least he's a righty so that's going for us.  Lackey did not face the 2016 Dodgers prior to tonight but lifetime he has dominated them.  As a matter of fact, the Dodgers team OPS against Lackey lifetime is the absolute lowest of any team he has faced in the majors.  Yikes.  Time to let the law of averages even that out with a big offensive performance off of him tonight.

Go Blue (Dodgers Blue version, that is).
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 19 16 2:02 PM

C Utley 2B
C Seager SS
J Turner 3B
A Gonzalez 1B
J Reddick RF
J Pederson CF
Y Grandal C
A Toles LF
J Urias P

D Fowler CF
K Bryant 3B
A Rizzo 1B
B Zobrist LF
J Baez 2B
W Contreras C
J Heyward RF
A Russell SS
J Lackey P

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 19 16 2:52 PM

beefchopper wrote:
C Utley 2B
C Seager SS
J Turner 3B
A Gonzalez 1B
J Reddick RF
J Pederson CF
Y Grandal C
A Toles LF
J Urias P

D Fowler CF
K Bryant 3B
A Rizzo 1B
B Zobrist LF
J Baez 2B
W Contreras C
J Heyward RF
A Russell SS
J Lackey P
Sure would like to see Toles and Utley switched.  Just seems like Toles is so much better suited for the leadoff spot, and Utley, with his experience and patience, for the 8-hole.  But I get the fact it's late in the season for that.  And of course, the offense ain't broke, so no fixing is absolutely necessary.  But from a fan's perspective...

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Oct 19 16 5:04 PM

That's truly fucked up, what replay angle shows he touched by the glove before his hand touched the plate? But with dumbass Hernandez behind the plate nothing surprises me.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Oct 19 16 5:06 PM

My changes for replay:

1) Immediate challenge - dugouts can not wait for their own video review. If a team thinks the call was blown, then challenge it.
2) No reviews of "coming off the bag" or other such nonsense.
3) No communicating to the review staff what the call was. They are not looking for evidence to overturn, they are looking at whether the runner was safe or out, nothing more.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 19 16 5:08 PM

ocmike24 wrote:
My changes for replay:

1) Immediate challenge - dugouts can not wait for their own video review. If a team thinks the call was blown, then challenge it.
3) No communicating to the review staff what the call was. They are not looking for evidence to overturn, they are looking at whether the runner was safe or out, nothing more.

I concur.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Oct 19 16 5:10 PM

ocmike24 wrote:
My changes for replay:

Really like 1 and 3.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Oct 19 16 5:15 PM

I gather from Steiner, the call was BS - dinner with the family and it went long because some pointy-headed daughter wanted tomorrow's lunch today. She ordered a pizza as we were leaving and we had to wait forty minutes.

I would say the fix is in but we are hitting Lackey so it might not make an iota of difference.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Oct 19 16 5:15 PM

Replay is so frigging inconsistent that it is more maddening than the bad calls of the semi-competent umpires. It just adds down time to the game and rarely fixes anything.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Oct 19 16 5:18 PM

ocmike24 wrote:
My changes for replay:

I like three a whole lot.   One and two would be hard because the league has a high view of themselves and feel they are infallible.   Three would open new territory but I figure the Umpires Union would bitch.   

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Oct 19 16 5:27 PM

Geez, Buck, this is embarrassing. Why don't you just propose to the kid now?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help