Remove this ad

#121 [url]

Oct 20 16 9:39 PM

That's odd. All this time I thought we had to lose 4 games to be eliminated.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#122 [url]

Oct 20 16 9:48 PM

Norm wrote:

As I said earlier today, I haven't counted them out yet, just due to the pitching matchups alone.  However, the team that has shown up the past two nights, particularly tonight, has been pretty brutal and if any semblance of that team shows up Saturday, then they're effectively F'd.  Beyond another starter not being able to go 5, there's just way too many careless mistakes, and a lot of what has ailed this team over the course of the season has shown up at the wrong time.  It also hasn't helped that Joe Blanton has decided to finally morph into Joe Blanton.

But it was also incredibly disappointing to see Roberts, who has deserved much praise throughout the playoffs, just shit the bed with regards to Lester.  He went into game 1 and today bragging about this "plan" to distract him, and, both times, it was the equivalent of flurries.  Lots of dancing, and "threats", but no action, which is lunacy against a guy who has severe weaknesses in this regard.

The team really needs to shore up their shit and regroup because there's going to be little to no margin of error to beat the Cubs twice in a row.  Surely not impossible, but definitely a tough task.  It can be done, but they have a lot of work to do after the shitshow of the last two days.

Quote    Reply   

#123 [url]

Oct 21 16 2:00 AM

Matthew wrote:
Norm wrote:

As I said earlier today, I haven't counted them out yet, just due to the pitching matchups alone.  However, the team that has shown up the past two nights, particularly tonight, has been pretty brutal and if any semblance of that team shows up Saturday, then they're effectively F'd.  Beyond another starter not being able to go 5, there's just way too many careless mistakes, and a lot of what has ailed this team over the course of the season has shown up at the wrong time.  It also hasn't helped that Joe Blanton has decided to finally morph into Joe Blanton.

But it was also incredibly disappointing to see Roberts, who has deserved much praise throughout the playoffs, just shit the bed with regards to Lester.  He went into game 1 and today bragging about this "plan" to distract him, and, both times, it was the equivalent of flurries.  Lots of dancing, and "threats", but no action, which is lunacy against a guy who has severe weaknesses in this regard.

The team really needs to shore up their shit and regroup because there's going to be little to no margin of error to beat the Cubs twice in a row.  Surely not impossible, but definitely a tough task.  It can be done, but they have a lot of work to do after the shitshow of the last two days.
Not impossible but a very tough task. And now it's on Kershaw to lead the team to the fabled promised land. This series has shone a spotlight on the team's weaknesses, which everybody except the front office saw all season long. Let's hope the team plays over their heads in Game 6.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#124 [url]

Oct 21 16 6:40 AM

Shmolnick wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Norm wrote:

Not impossible but a very tough task. And now it's on Kershaw to lead the team to the fabled promised land. This series has shone a spotlight on the team's weaknesses, which everybody except the front office saw all season long. Let's hope the team plays over their heads in Game 6.

Yes, everybody.  And the Dodgers were overflowing with prospects that could have been used to address the ABSOLUTELY GLARING weak spots.  And we got Chooch, Reddick and Hill.  The Indians did what they needed to do, added who was to become the ALCS MVP, and they are already in the Series.  

It isn't over yet, not with our top two starters pitching the next two games.  But needing to play the Cubs in Chicago where they won 70.4% of their games this year, a game down, and against what sure looks like a superior team, is at best facing a very steep hill to climb.

Quote    Reply   

#125 [url]

Oct 21 16 7:12 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
I have been critical more of the FO because they had opportunities to make this team better and chose to go the cheap route which is what it is. When you break this team down, have they not exceeded expectations? This isn't a WS team. They have 1 star SP, 1 star RP a ROY guy, a solid 3B, a decent Catcher and some other guys who go hot and cold. We have some great talent but it's young. Look at our starting rotation. It's not great. Compare it to what the Cubs have. Look at their lineup. They are built for a WS. We aren't yet. I think this team has played their asses off at times and has heart but it's a VW bug going against a Ferrari. It's a smoke show but I am still proud of them for getting this far.

The FO got the max out of what they put into this. At the end, the guys who are average are starting to show they are average. Why didn't anyone want Howie Kendrick on a longterm deal? Utley all of the sudden looks 100 years old. Grandal hit one HR and has done nothing else. Seager is struggling but he is a kid. Who wants Baez? He sucks. He throws hard. The FO has a hard on for guys who throw gas. Dayton is a kid who should never be on the postseason roster much less be pitching in critical situations against this juggernaut of an offense. Blanton is a mid tier BP guy who has been tasked with being a setup guy in key situations because the guy the FO had another hard-on for: Hatcher is not only dogshit but is hurt. Stripling is a SP who is being used as a BP guy.

Just too many guys crashing at once.

We can only assume that opportunities were there.   Given what it cost the Indians for Andrew Miller, I would not have been shocked if we approached the Yankees and they started with Urias and went from there.   When you have a rich farm system, you don't get bargain deals.    One has to think that we may have called on Miller, Braun, etc.... and the price was likely higher than we were willing to pay.   It is one thing to deal kids like Cotton or Holmes, as neither were considered in the same vein as Bellinger, Alvarez, JDL, etc.... but quite another to overpay for a set up guy who you are going to be paying $9 million per.    Sure, Miller is worth his contract and is a difference maker but kids like Bellinger, JDL, Urias fill larger roles in the future of the Dodgers.  

I don't understand your venom towards Grandal or Dayton.   Grandal has done what was asked of him, call a good game, get on base and show some power.   I expected nothing more.   As for Dayton, he made one bad pitch - for a kid who was not even on the radar in April, he might be the most reliable of our lefty arms in the pen.   As for Blanton, I may be a bit down on him, but Roberts abused the guy and he needs to learn to trust his starters sometimes.   The biggest bugaboo was injuries and that is a crapshoot.    Yeah, Anderson is an injury waiting to happen and Hill's blisters are a known issue, but I didn't see any arms out there that would've made a difference unless you honestly think the Sox were moving any of their arms for Pez.    Even if this ends on Saturday or Sunday, I see a good base for future runs and I suspect we will address the bigger issues this winter, like righty bats and get our starting five lined up - I am thinking we resign Hill and slot him at two between Kershaw and likely JDL or Stewart with Urias as the four and Maeda taking the five.    Hell, we may even go wtih a six-man rotation because of Kazmir, BMac, either JDL or Stewart.   Sure, we could go big and try to get Greinke back, that would likely cost us one of Stewart or JDL and we get the joy of paying ace money to a number two.   I would not be complain much but if we get a discount on the contract then I am good.   Maybe the Snakes will take Kazmir and/or BMac in the deal.   One can hope. 

Quote    Reply   

#126 [url]

Oct 21 16 1:22 PM

No venom on Dayton. He is just not a guy who should be on the roster at this point unless you have no other options. Grandal is supposed to give offense. He will hit like Ruth for a week then tank for 3 weeks. He is hitting Mendoza line bad overall in a critical time. Can't have that from you supposed core guys. That rotation you mention next year has some big question marks. BMac and Kazmir are worthless. I like the kids but it's a lot of pressure and there are innings to monitor. Maeda is ideally a 4 in my opinion because he can't go past 4-5 innings. I love him as a 4. Not so much as a 3. Urias and JDL are a future core but it's asking a lot for them to be big guns next year. I'm 50/50 on Hill because he is older, has blisters and will be expensive. That said he is probably more affordable than other options. We need to try and move some of the sludge off our roster too. What do we do about Wood?

Last Edited By: NewportDodger Oct 21 16 1:28 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help