Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Oct 24 16 10:13 AM

Matthew wrote:
Regarding the front office...

I think a lot of people still mix up the difference between sabermetrics and Moneyball. Sabermetrics is just a fancy name for advanced baseball statistics that try to better evaluate performance from the more traditional methods. While Bill James is the godfather of how we know sabermetrics today, the idea of advanced statistics goes back at least to Branch Rickey.

Moneyball, on the other hand, is more an economic philosophy. Basically, if you're a small market team, you can't compete with the larger market teams on money. If you do, you will get crushed, every time. Therefore, in order to compete with these teams, you must exploit market inefficiencies. During the late 1990s/early 2000s when Billy Beane put this into practice, the market inefficiencies at the time were OBP, SLG%, while the more traditional measures (BA, RBI, W/L) were overvalued. The league/market adjusted, and, today, you're now seeing things such as framing, spin rates, exit velocity, etc. It's an "arms" race for an intellectual edge.

Why do I bring any of this up? Because I think remembering this can lend a great insight into understanding this front office. And when I say understand, I don't necessarily mean agree, but at least "get them", for better or worse.

For Friedman and Zaidi, when constructing their old teams, they couldn't outspend bigger market teams. So they had to be very creative. They couldn't afford a big FA slugger; so, instead, maybe they have to sign two guys (each a LHP and RHP specialist) to platoon to make up the difference. They can't afford a big FA pitcher; so they have to look at guys who are talented, and certainly add value, but perhaps have some flaws, be it health or otherwise.

Now some might dismiss this as cheap, but that misses the point. If you're an A's or Ray's fan, these are great, great signings and good out of the box thinking. They can't afford the tier 1 players, but if this platoon can get 75% of the production, or if X starter can put up 80% of the production, while maybe making a couple of DL trips, it's a huge win. You can live with the flaws. And for teams like the A's or Rays, it's a necessity to survive.

But there are problems, namely that there's more variables, risks, and moving parts being introduced. So when one half of your platoon sucks, to quote the great Edie McClurg, you're fucked (as this team found out vs. LHP). When you stack a rotation of guys with sketchy medical records, and they, well, get hurt, once again, you're SOL. Now, when you're operating from a small payroll, you can accept these limitations because there's no alternative. When you're a big market team, with the highest payroll at your disposal, these limitations become harder to tolerate.

And after a couple of years at the helm, this is what I think is increasingly showing to be the front office's biggest flaw, which is, they haven't quite adjusted to a big market. And when I say "adjust to a big market", I don't mean throwing away money foolishly or trading the farm for rentals. Many of the principles that this FO brings, from financial discipline, to extracting maximum value, are great things, regardless of payroll, and they've done an amazing job in that regard. The depth they built this year was insane and this team doesn't touch the playoffs without it. Go look at the teams who had 20+ DL stints and see their records: they were almost always in last place, not in game 6 of the NLCS. Deals like the Trayce Thompson deal, their ability to game the system for extra draft picks, are them at their best. It's great to have that in the Dodgers' front office. I love how obsessed they are at building from the fringes, from the 25th man up.

But the problem is, you can't always, or just merely, build from the fringes. Theo Epstein is the best example of this. He grew the farm system, and built a strong core around those guys, but also knew when to bite the bullet and open up the wallet on FAs. I trust that Friedman and company can do the former, and they largely are, but I increasingly have doubts on whether they're willing to do the second. My hope is that they are, but my fear is that they're the type of people who will go to 5 different stores across 3 different cities, over the course of 2 hours, so they can say they saved $3 on their groceries. Which is nice. But when you can afford it, it's also unnecessary, and it's probably better to go across the street and pay a few bucks more, and be back in 15 minutes.

That's why I hated the trade deadline deals so much (although Hill was awesome, I'll give them that.). Sometimes it makes sense to pay a little more for a Mark Melancon, sometimes the simpler or slightly more expensive option is better, rather than try to construct a cutesy, 27 player, 5 team deal or bust. Financial discipline and frugality are great things to have, but in a large market, sometimes it can be a bad thing to be purely, or too, focused on it, because, like the people who go to tons of stores to save a nickel when they don't have to, there's still an opportunity cost to that which must be recognized, as well. Jerking off to some utopian future of the OKC Dodgers manning every position by 2018, as they lead us to the World Series, is nice, but hardly realistic. Especially as Clayton Kershaw gets another year older.

I think that's the biggest fear people should have with this FO. The very strengths that this FO brings will keep the Dodgers competitive for years to come, but I pray that the very strengths they have also don't become the very flaws that keep this team as the Clippers of MLB: a very good regular season team, but a perennial postseason choker. Yeah, the postseason is a crapshoot, I know, but not entirely.

So whenever I hear them being called geeks, or hear the pocket calculator references by people who are apparently posting on here from 1963, or members of Kraftwerk, it misses the point, and it's not what you should be concerned about. Taking a sabermetric approach is fairly standard in MLB at this point, and last I checked, the Dodgers have been eliminated by teams headed by Theo Epstein, and Sandy Alderson over the past two years.

Ultimately, I'll give the front office a C+, this year. They deserve credit for the depth, but they botched the deadline, when this team badly needed hitters vs. LHP. Hill was great, but Reddick wasn't the solution. The team needs a revamped offense (which I find myself saying every October, for some reason), with a big middle of the order bat. As I was saying last night, this team hasn't had any guys in the middle of the order that truly scare you, and I think it goes a ways towards explaining this team's streakiness, and troubles with RISP. Gonzalez isn't that anymore and to keep trotting him out there as a 4 hitter is a joke, at this point. For crying out loud, Carlos F'ing Ruiz was a clean up hitter in an NLCS game for this team. What more needs to be said? Once and for all, shore up the offense, eliminate the need for platoons at seemingly every freaking position, because it's getting really old to keep pointing to our troubles with RISP as a main reason for another playoff exit.

The rotation needs to obviously be shored up, and while I'm fine with signing pitchers with risks to compliment or finish off a rotation, they can't take 3/5 of your rotation. Especially, again, when you're in a financial position where you don't have to take so many of those risks.

In essence, I think what I'd love is somewhat of a blow up of this team.  I have more thoughts on that, but I'll get to the more roster related stuff later…

Well said, and agree. I also agree with BigBlaster, this roster needs an ovehaul that I dont think this FO will pull the trigger on. Not a complete rebuild where we aren't capable of competing for 5 years, but more of a partial rebuild. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Oct 25 16 6:54 AM

I disagree with blowing up the roster. We DO and DID need an impact bat and that's why I was pleading for Ryan Braun at the deadline, even though I don't admire him personally (changing uniforms overcomes a lot.) I also wanted Jonathan Lucroy, and realized one of JDL or Urias along with Puig, a boatload of cash, and others would have been lost. Think of our lineup against lefties with Braun in left, LuCroy behind the plate, and Grandal giving AGon some much needed rest by playing first base. Of course, I didn't expect McCarthy to get the yips, Anderson to suffer his umpteenth injury upon his return, Kazmir to break down, or JDL to be pedestrian at best. Still, I think I would have preferred scraping up a rotation (we did it all year) between Stewart, Stripling, Wood, and De Jong (like him a lot) and have a steady offense.. We got 30+ innings out of Hill, so that is not exactly irreplaceable, though he was very good when he could pitch his 5-6 innings.

Grandal is just so streaky, saved only by bursts of power and a good OBP. The LuCroy trade may have helped keep both of them plus AGon fresh down the stretch. Not sure how close we were to getting LuCroy, but Braun was said to be hanging around the stadium after a game to see if he was headed to the Dodgers.

Reddick made no sense at all.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Oct 25 16 7:47 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
What sucks is that we moved 3 trade chips already for the Hill/Reddick rentals. Would be nice to have them for Braun.
Not like we don't have more prospects to move.   We ain't the Snakes, we can deal from our farm system and not bankrupt it in one move.    Thinking there is enough momentum for the Brewers to get out from under Braun's contract that they will be happy to see most of it go bye-bye and it might not take more than Puig.    Now, if we want Vilar, then it will be a bit more costly.   

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Oct 25 16 9:42 AM

Count me squarely in the camp of NOT blowing up the team. In my opinion, that's just a knee-jerk reaction to the fresh loss in Chicago. I hated losing like that (up 2-1, losing in 6 when no one expected us to get past the Cubs when the series started) as much as anyone, but we have to be careful not to let 2016 postseason performances judge the 2017 team.

Here's who I'd like to see in Dodger Blue come March:

LF: Braun (get the Puig deal done)
CF: Joc/Thompson
RF: Toles platoon with FA Ryan Raburn and/or Danny Valencia (both can mash against lefties - good clubhouse / bench guys)
Keep Ethier and Kike (start the latter in AAA)
For fun: Keep an eye on the market price for a couple FA's: Trumbo, Gomez, Austin Jackson, Jose Bautista, and Peter Bourjos (all have one of two things we need: crush lefties, or speed)
3B: Turner (go beyond "reasonable" to ink him, but don't get crazy)
SS: Seager
2B: Kendrick/Valencia
1B: AGon
C: Grandal/Barnes

Rest of the bench:
I think Danny Valencia fits well with the 2017 Dodgers, depending on how it goes with Turner. He can platoon with AGon (who really needs it now), and play 2B and 3B and a little outfield. He's basically a younger Kendrick, with more power and a better arm. A bench of him, Ethier, Raburn, Thompson, and Barnes is deep.

SP1: Kershaw
SP2: Acquire in trade (the FA market is completely devoid of Aces and #2's... be prepared to lose 2 or 3 of our top 20 prospects, but it is absolutely necessary to have Ace1 and Ace2 in today's MLB if you want to win in October)
SP3: Maeda
SP4: Urias
SP5: Hill (I don't see him as a great fit for the #2 role - too old and injury prone, and we'd be fools to count on him for even 3/4 of a season)
SP6: DeLeon
SP7: Stewart
SP8: McCarthy
SP9: Ryu
SP10: Stripling (I think Ross has the stuff and mindset to be Kyle Hendricks by 2018)

'Pen:
Kenley (whatever it takes - we are so spoiled! - Kenley will be regarded as one of the game's greatest closers of all time by 2025... he's home-grown and I'm taking Stan Kasten at his word when he says we're gonna pay the kids that produce)
8th inning guy in trade (we need a solid guy - maybe a closer who would accept the set-up position behind Kenley, like Melancon or Madson)
Libby
Blanton
Dayton
Fields
FA's: Ziegler, Wood, Storen, Cecil...

Lastly, keep an eye on guys like Goldshmidt, Donaldson, Brantley, Betances, A Miller, Adam Jones, Kimbrel... all are likely 2018 FA's. And I can smell a rebuild happening in Toronto - some interesting trade pieces there, including pitching (Happ, Sanchez, Estrada, Grilli...).

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Oct 25 16 9:47 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
What sucks is that we moved 3 trade chips already for the Hill/Reddick rentals. Would be nice to have them for Braun.
Not like we don't have more prospects to move.   We ain't the Snakes, we can deal from our farm system and not bankrupt it in one move.    Thinking there is enough momentum for the Brewers to get out from under Braun's contract that they will be happy to see most of it go bye-bye and it might not take more than Puig.    Now, if we want Vilar, then it will be a bit more costly.   

Everybody keeps saying Corey is going to eventually have to be moved off SS.  I'm still not convinced.  He's very smooth for a guy his size. Think Tulo.  The only way I move Corey off SS in 2017 is if we don't sign Big Red, and a very smooth defensive SS with some pop comes available (like Vilar).  Otherwise, leave him there.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Oct 25 16 10:32 AM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
What sucks is that we moved 3 trade chips already for the Hill/Reddick rentals. Would be nice to have them for Braun.
Not like we don't have more prospects to move.   We ain't the Snakes, we can deal from our farm system and not bankrupt it in one move.    Thinking there is enough momentum for the Brewers to get out from under Braun's contract that they will be happy to see most of it go bye-bye and it might not take more than Puig.    Now, if we want Vilar, then it will be a bit more costly.   

Everybody keeps saying Corey is going to eventually have to be moved off SS.  I'm still not convinced.  He's very smooth for a guy his size. Think Tulo.  The only way I move Corey off SS in 2017 is if we don't sign Big Red, and a very smooth defensive SS with some pop comes available (like Vilar).  Otherwise, leave him there.


Also, find a way for Corey to not choke in the next postseason.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Oct 25 16 10:43 AM

Post season awards are rolling in. The Sporting News, which was known as The Baseball Bible when I was growing up announced that Dave Roberts has been named NL Manager of the Year, receiving 7 of the 14 managerial votes cast. Dusty Baker and Joe Maddon each received 3 votes, with a single vote for Terry Collins. (The league managers voted, which begs the question, who failed to vote and why?)

In a runaway and not surprisingly, Corey Seager took 143 of 176 player votes, which only proves there are at least 33 idiots playing in the NL.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Oct 25 16 10:46 AM

Shmolnick wrote:
monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
Not like we don't have more prospects to move.   We ain't the Snakes, we can deal from our farm system and not bankrupt it in one move.    Thinking there is enough momentum for the Brewers to get out from under Braun's contract that they will be happy to see most of it go bye-bye and it might not take more than Puig.    Now, if we want Vilar, then it will be a bit more costly.   

Everybody keeps saying Corey is going to eventually have to be moved off SS.  I'm still not convinced.  He's very smooth for a guy his size. Think Tulo.  The only way I move Corey off SS in 2017 is if we don't sign Big Red, and a very smooth defensive SS with some pop comes available (like Vilar).  Otherwise, leave him there.


Also, find a way for Corey to not choke in the next postseason.
Shots fired on the 22 year old!

Hey now, the kid got on base 8 times in 6 games in the CS, and didn't score a single run.  

Honestly, his approach, and basically the entire offense's approach in the last two games were very "hero-esque."  Trying to pull everything.  Against Kendrick, and against any lefty this season, the Dodgers had no business trying to hit everything out.  Decent 2-strike approaches ensued, but whenever we were ahead in the count, we were trying to yank EVERY PITCH.  So frustrating.  
Does anyone remember the first week of 2016's season?  The boys went the other way countless times, and put up a bunch of runs.  Then, without warning, guys were yanking again.  I'd sure like to see that "hit 'em where they put 'em" approach make a comeback, and REMAIN for 2017.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Oct 25 16 12:03 PM

monsooner wrote:
Shmolnick wrote:
monsooner wrote:
Everybody keeps saying Corey is going to eventually have to be moved off SS.  I'm still not convinced.  He's very smooth for a guy his size. Think Tulo.  The only way I move Corey off SS in 2017 is if we don't sign Big Red, and a very smooth defensive SS with some pop comes available (like Vilar).  Otherwise, leave him there.


Also, find a way for Corey to not choke in the next postseason.
Shots fired on the 22 year old!

Hey now, the kid got on base 8 times in 6 games in the CS, and didn't score a single run.  

Honestly, his approach, and basically the entire offense's approach in the last two games were very "hero-esque."  Trying to pull everything.  Against Kendrick, and against any lefty this season, the Dodgers had no business trying to hit everything out.  Decent 2-strike approaches ensued, but whenever we were ahead in the count, we were trying to yank EVERY PITCH.  So frustrating.  
Does anyone remember the first week of 2016's season?  The boys went the other way countless times, and put up a bunch of runs.  Then, without warning, guys were yanking again.  I'd sure like to see that "hit 'em where they put 'em" approach make a comeback, and REMAIN for 2017.

The kid had a great year but like the rest of the team, choked mightily in the last few games of the CS. Not only do I put that on the players but on the coaching for letting the guys take their eyes off the ball. And Joc spacing out at the fireworks? No excuse for that. If that had been Puig who did that, he'd be hammered all over the media and the internet. Just sayin'.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Oct 25 16 1:18 PM

Shmolnick wrote:
monsooner wrote:
Shmolnick wrote:

Also, find a way for Corey to not choke in the next postseason.
Shots fired on the 22 year old!

Hey now, the kid got on base 8 times in 6 games in the CS, and didn't score a single run.  

Honestly, his approach, and basically the entire offense's approach in the last two games were very "hero-esque."  Trying to pull everything.  Against Kendrick, and against any lefty this season, the Dodgers had no business trying to hit everything out.  Decent 2-strike approaches ensued, but whenever we were ahead in the count, we were trying to yank EVERY PITCH.  So frustrating.  
Does anyone remember the first week of 2016's season?  The boys went the other way countless times, and put up a bunch of runs.  Then, without warning, guys were yanking again.  I'd sure like to see that "hit 'em where they put 'em" approach make a comeback, and REMAIN for 2017.

The kid had a great year but like the rest of the team, choked mightily in the last few games of the CS. Not only do I put that on the players but on the coaching for letting the guys take their eyes off the ball. And Joc spacing out at the fireworks? No excuse for that. If that had been Puig who did that, he'd be hammered all over the media and the internet. Just sayin'.

Definitely a team thing.

About the fireworks, I heard they went off right above the batter's eye.  That'd freak any hitter out.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Oct 25 16 2:24 PM

Well, just wrote a response and got the dreaded Yuku FU log-in, and the post went away. Gotta' learn to copy before hitting reply.

That fireworks incident was never explained. Given the line of sight, did the authorities even try to locate the source? It's obviously illegal in the city. Can't blame Joc for freaking out.

Kyle is on target with the pull-happy approach. They always say you have to slow everything down to overcome the amped up pressure of the postseason, but we were over anxious.

No way I can condone throwing Seager under the bus. He carried us all year, had a couple of home runs in the NLDS, and ended up hitting .286 (soft or not) in the NLCS, way better than most.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Oct 25 16 6:39 PM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
What sucks is that we moved 3 trade chips already for the Hill/Reddick rentals. Would be nice to have them for Braun.
Not like we don't have more prospects to move.   We ain't the Snakes, we can deal from our farm system and not bankrupt it in one move.    Thinking there is enough momentum for the Brewers to get out from under Braun's contract that they will be happy to see most of it go bye-bye and it might not take more than Puig.    Now, if we want Vilar, then it will be a bit more costly.   

Everybody keeps saying Corey is going to eventually have to be moved off SS.  I'm still not convinced.  He's very smooth for a guy his size. Think Tulo.  The only way I move Corey off SS in 2017 is if we don't sign Big Red, and a very smooth defensive SS with some pop comes available (like Vilar).  Otherwise, leave him there.

No, you get me wrong.  I want Vilar for second base.   I don't like his arm at short, but he has more than enough range and arm at second.   I have zero interest in moving Seager anywhere until Gavin Lux is deemed ready, probably in three years.  

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Oct 26 16 5:41 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
Who is going to play third then? They aren't going to give a 4 year $15 million dollar deal to Turner.
Who sez?   From everything I have read, they are negotiating in earnest with his and Kenley's agent and given that there are no real options at third, the FO has to resign him/them.    I can't see any real options in the trade market unless you know of some secret trade talk with the Royals for Cuthbert or the Twins for Plouffe, the two likeliest guys who play third and could change addresses, IMO.  

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Oct 26 16 6:34 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
Not like we don't have more prospects to move.   We ain't the Snakes, we can deal from our farm system and not bankrupt it in one move.    Thinking there is enough momentum for the Brewers to get out from under Braun's contract that they will be happy to see most of it go bye-bye and it might not take more than Puig.    Now, if we want Vilar, then it will be a bit more costly.   

Everybody keeps saying Corey is going to eventually have to be moved off SS.  I'm still not convinced.  He's very smooth for a guy his size. Think Tulo.  The only way I move Corey off SS in 2017 is if we don't sign Big Red, and a very smooth defensive SS with some pop comes available (like Vilar).  Otherwise, leave him there.

No, you get me wrong.  I want Vilar for second base.   I don't like his arm at short, but he has more than enough range and arm at second.   I have zero interest in moving Seager anywhere until Gavin Lux is deemed ready, probably in three years.  

Torg, give me some insight on Lux.  From looking at his numbers this year, he has no power, no speed, and was the second coming of JosE OffErman in the field.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Oct 26 16 9:22 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
Who is going to play third then? They aren't going to give a 4 year $15 million dollar deal to Turner.
Who sez?   From everything I have read, they are negotiating in earnest with his and Kenley's agent and given that there are no real options at third, the FO has to resign him/them.    I can't see any real options in the trade market unless you know of some secret trade talk with the Royals for Cuthbert or the Twins for Plouffe, the two likeliest guys who play third and could change addresses, IMO.  

This FO just doesn't go that route with older players like Turner.  They like 2-3 years max.  I will believe it when I see it because Turner is going to get 4 years $60 million or more from someone.  I don't think he is going to be giving a hometown discount either since this is his one chance to cash it and he will want that 4th year.  It's the market and I just don't see them paying him when will be 32 in November.  They seem to shy away from those deals.  Jansen is going to get some ridiculous sum of money since there are only 3 real closers out there in Chapman(who is never going to be allowed out of Chicago), Melancon and KJ.  Jansen could be wearing a Met uniform because I don't see them sticking with Familia even though he was lights out during the year.  He choked when it mattered.  The Yankees, who have a boatload of cash to spend now could be looking as well.  

I wouldn't even be shocked to see them go sign a guy like Mark Reynolds to a 2 year deal at 6 million/per because he would be cheaper and still have some pop.  Chicago will pay a Chapman a ridiculous amount of money and probably let Travis Wood walk so that's that type of guy we would go after since he will be cheaper.  

I will be pleasantly surprised if this FO really rocks the boat when it comes to spending money or making a big trade.  I can see Braun here.  It makes sense but that contract sucks so they will cut corners elsewhere.  If they want Milwaukee to take on most of the salary, it will cost them in trade bait. 

The FO likes to spread the wealth so it means a lot more Jimmies and Joes than star power.  You can just see in the comments when they say that they are so close to the Cubs when it reality, they are not as it stands today.  The Nationals will be back next year healthy as well and then you have the Mets, Giants, etc.  A lot of competition and I think teams would be happy to pay more to get Jansen because it not only makes them better but it critically hurts the Dodgers.  

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Oct 26 16 9:54 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
Who is going to play third then? They aren't going to give a 4 year $15 million dollar deal to Turner.
Who sez?   From everything I have read, they are negotiating in earnest with his and Kenley's agent and given that there are no real options at third, the FO has to resign him/them.    I can't see any real options in the trade market unless you know of some secret trade talk with the Royals for Cuthbert or the Twins for Plouffe, the two likeliest guys who play third and could change addresses, IMO.  

This FO just doesn't go that route with older players like Turner.  They like 2-3 years max.  I will believe it when I see it because Turner is going to get 4 years $60 million or more from someone.  I don't think he is going to be giving a hometown discount either since this is his one chance to cash it and he will want that 4th year.  It's the market and I just don't see them paying him when will be 32 in November.  They seem to shy away from those deals.  Jansen is going to get some ridiculous sum of money since there are only 3 real closers out there in Chapman(who is never going to be allowed out of Chicago), Melancon and KJ.  Jansen could be wearing a Met uniform because I don't see them sticking with Familia even though he was lights out during the year.  He choked when it mattered.  The Yankees, who have a boatload of cash to spend now could be looking as well.  

I wouldn't even be shocked to see them go sign a guy like Mark Reynolds to a 2 year deal at 6 million/per because he would be cheaper and still have some pop.  Chicago will pay a Chapman a ridiculous amount of money and probably let Travis Wood walk so that's that type of guy we would go after since he will be cheaper.  

I will be pleasantly surprised if this FO really rocks the boat when it comes to spending money or making a big trade.  I can see Braun here.  It makes sense but that contract sucks so they will cut corners elsewhere.  If they want Milwaukee to take on most of the salary, it will cost them in trade bait. 

The FO likes to spread the wealth so it means a lot more Jimmies and Joes than star power.  You can just see in the comments when they say that they are so close to the Cubs when it reality, they are not as it stands today.  The Nationals will be back next year healthy as well and then you have the Mets, Giants, etc.  A lot of competition and I think teams would be happy to pay more to get Jansen because it not only makes them better but it critically hurts the Dodgers.  


Dodgers + Jimmies + Joes - Jansen - Turner = oy vey.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Oct 26 16 10:33 AM

Even though it doesn't factor into sabermetric evaluations, Jansen and Turner are two of the Dodgers' most popular players. Kenley has the pedigree of a life long Dodger, as you all know. Turner is a stalwart for his community service and his GF, Courtney, is as nice as could be and knows her baseball. None of this may factor into one more dollar spent by the FO, but it sure weighs strongly for my fandom. Along with Clayton, they are my three personal favorite Dodgers with Seager moving into the conversation. Might as well add that Rick Honeycutt is my favorite coach dating back to spring training in Vero.

It's hard to quantify how much value Kenley and Turner add to the team, but I think you could make a case that they may indirectly pay for a large portion of their contracts due to increased attendance and ticket sales boosted by an adoring fan base and immensely improving the competitive nature of the team for the long haul. Add in that we may see either of them playing in SF or NY Orange or Kenley wearing D'bag whatever the hell their color of the day is, and it's a win-win to keep them both

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help