Remove this ad

#461 [url]

Dec 12 16 6:47 AM

Dodgers Becoming More Confident In Re-Signing Justin Turner
By Steve Adams | December 12, 2016 at 7:33am CDT

The Dodgers are becoming more confident that they can re-sign third baseman Justin Turner, reports ESPN’s Buster Olney (Twitter links). The two sides have been in talks on a four-year contract recently, Olney adds.

Turner, who turned 32 three weeks ago, has been one of the Dodgers’ top offseason priorities. He’s fresh off a brilliant season that saw him bat .275/.339/.493 with 27 homers, 34 doubles and outstanding defense at the hot corner (+7 DRS, +14 UZR). That marked the third consecutive season of exceptional offensive production from Turner, who signed a minor league contract with Los Angeles in February 2014 after being non-tendered by the Mets and went on to break out in Chavez Ravine. In 386 games and 1383 plate appearances as a member of the Dodgers, Turner has slashed .296/.364/.492.

Bringing back the right-handed-hitting Turner would be a boost to a Dodgers team that ranked last in the Majors against left-handed pitching in 2016 in terms of on-base percentage, slugging percentage and wRC+. However, it should also be noted that Turner’s own uncharacteristic struggles against southpaws last year contributed heavily to L.A.’s woes against in that department. Turner hit .282/.359/.465 against left-handers in his first two seasons with the Dodgers but slumped to a .209/.303/.337 mark last year. His strikeout and walk rates against lefties remained encouraging, although he sported just a .230 average on balls in play against lefties, which obviously proved to be a significant detriment.

Jason Martinez of Roster Resource/MLBTR projects the Dodgers for a $204MM Opening Day payroll as it is, even without re-signing Turner, so adding him back into the mix would presumably push the team’s 2017 payroll north of $220MM (though the deal could of course be backloaded to some extent). That number would continue to rise if the team were to re-sign Kenley Jansen, another top target, or add an experienced arm to replace their closer in the event that Jansen signs elsewhere. The Dodgers will, at least, be free of their obligations to both Carl Crawford and Alex Guerrero next winter, which will result in about $28MM coming off their payroll. They’ll also be able to buy out Andre Ethier’s $17.5MM mutual option. The following offseason will see Adrian Gonzalez, Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy and Hyun-jin Ryu come off the books, creating plenty of opportunity for the Dodgers to shed some significant payroll and luxury tax considerations in the next two years.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#462 [url]

Dec 12 16 7:02 AM

Take it FWIW, but a young reporter for a smaller LA media outlet named Chris Camello went on record yesterday saying 3 things from his Dodger FO source: 1. Turner is all but signed at 4/65. Kind of a steal if True and would be announced in next day or so and Buster's article today seems to be adding to the kid's credibility. 2. This is harder to believe but Holland is in the final stages of signing a 1year contract for 3-5MM. The number is too low to me. 3. Dodgers are generally confident that they will also sign Kenley. Will know by Tuesday for sure. Dodgers FO believes Marlins are out and that it's between them and Nats. All of this seems plausible, I guess.

Quote    Reply   

#464 [url]

Dec 12 16 7:58 AM

saeldway wrote:
Take it FWIW, but a young reporter for a smaller LA media outlet named Chris Camello went on record yesterday saying 3 things from his Dodger FO source: 1. Turner is all but signed at 4/65. Kind of a steal if True and would be announced in next day or so and Buster's article today seems to be adding to the kid's credibility. 2. This is harder to believe but Holland is in the final stages of signing a 1year contract for 3-5MM. The number is too low to me. 3. Dodgers are generally confident that they will also sign Kenley. Will know by Tuesday for sure. Dodgers FO believes Marlins are out and that it's between them and Nats. All of this seems plausible, I guess.
Plausible and Positive!  Gotta' love those rumors.  If we get Turner, Holland, AND Kenley, it will be a very good off season.  Holland would probably get an incentive laden contract based on appearances, and the way our starters don't go deep, he could end up having a great contract with a low base. 

I still would have kept Kendrick for second base, so now we have that slot to fill.  Utley?  Guess I'd better wait until the contracts for Turner and Kenley are signed before I get too giddy, but it's great to hear some upbeat rumors for a change.

Quote    Reply   

#465 [url]

Dec 12 16 8:39 AM

"So What Else is New?" The 2016 Hot Stove Off-Season Thread

@JonHeyman: Dodgers are working hard to try to bring turner back. Likely to be 4 years, assuming they get it done. 4 was his goal.

Quote    Reply   

#466 [url]

Dec 12 16 10:34 AM

Ken Rosenthal [email protected]_Rosenthal 20m20 minutes ago
Sources: #Dodgers close on both Turner AND Jansen.

Yessss!!!!

Quote    Reply   

#467 [url]

Dec 12 16 10:39 AM

Ken Rosenthal [email protected]_Rosenthal 1m1 minute ago
Source confirms: Jansen and #Dodgers in agreement on five-year, $80M contract. First reported: @JimBowden_ESPN.

Chapman set the market on closers. Nice to see we got what I think is a better closer for less

Quote    Reply   

#468 [url]

Dec 12 16 10:56 AM

BWAHAHAHAH! We got both of them back for an AAV of $16 million. Friedman and Zaidi just got a one year Mulligan. Add in Holland and life is freaking good. Just get Dozier and Lorenzo Cain and this is the best Christmas ever.

Quote    Reply   

#470 [url]

Dec 12 16 11:13 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
BWAHAHAHAH! We got both of them back for an AAV of $16 million. Friedman and Zaidi just got a one year Mulligan. Add in Holland and life is freaking good. Just get Dozier and Lorenzo Cain and this is the best Christmas ever.

What do they do with Joc then if they got Cain? I wonder if they go Braun instead and give a better prospect for the Brewers to take some salary in the trade. That whole trade idea there has been quiet.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#471 [url]

Dec 12 16 11:24 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

What do they do with Joc then if they got Cain? I wonder if they go Braun instead and give a better prospect for the Brewers to take some salary in the trade. That whole trade idea there has been quiet.

A corresponding move has to be made soon if these deals are in fact close.  Dodgers are at 39 without Jansen/Turner.  Add in the rumor of Holland (I'm believing Camello at this point) and the Dodgers are going to need some serious space.  I have to think salary dumps of Kazmir/McCarthy will help but I hope one or both of the rumored Braun/Dozier trades happens soon.

Quote    Reply   

#472 [url]

Dec 12 16 11:24 AM

Joc to left, Cain to center and Puig in right. Best defensive outfield in the game. Probably cost us Verdugo, Stewart and Toles to get Cain but I would do it. Just got to figure out the pieces beyond JDL to get Dozier. Probably Calhoun and Sborz

Quote    Reply   

#473 [url]

Dec 12 16 11:37 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Joc to left, Cain to center and Puig in right. Best defensive outfield in the game. Probably cost us Verdugo, Stewart and Toles to get Cain but I would do it. Just got to figure out the pieces beyond JDL to get Dozier. Probably Calhoun and Sborz

It would appear from reports that the Twins are high on Stewart so he may be in a Dozier scenario. The Dodgers have to do some roster cleanup as well. May be best to try and just pay to make Kazmir and McCarthy go away in trade. I still would rather go Archer/Forsythe and make a big package there. You really shore up the rotation and get your 2B. That's a deal that costs JDL, Verdugo Stewart and one tier 2 or maybe you get them to take Puig and move Toles into RF fulltime.

Quote    Reply   

#474 [url]

Dec 12 16 11:38 AM

Tim Brown [email protected]
Kenley Jansen chose Dodgers (5-$80m) over better offers elsewhere, according to sources. Can opt out after three seasons.

Quote    Reply   

#475 [url]

Dec 12 16 1:11 PM

Sweet!  Double dose of good news!  Kenley's 5/80 is a lot for ~70 innings/yr, but elite RP are more valuable in the postseason.  He also took less money to stay.  <3

Also, 4/64 for our #3 hitter (last year) and solid D at third?  What a bargain!

Quote    Reply   

#478 [url]

Dec 12 16 2:37 PM

Wow! What a day (except for my golf)! Looks like Kenley AND JT both back in the fold. This is the latest quote from MLBTR on Jansen:
"At the end of the day Kenley loves Los Angeles, his Dodger family, the fans here and although money was a factor, it wasn’t the most important thing.”

That is pure music to my ears. As I alluded to a few days ago, here is that pro athlete who values some things above the almighty dollar. Now if we get Holland, our pen could be stacked.

Quote    Reply   

#479 [url]

Dec 12 16 2:38 PM

Wow! What a day (except for my golf)! Looks like Kenley AND JT both back in the fold. This is the latest quote from MLBTR on Jansen:
"At the end of the day Kenley loves Los Angeles, his Dodger family, the fans here and although money was a factor, it wasn’t the most important thing.”

That is pure music to my ears. As I alluded to a few days ago, here is that pro athlete who values some things above the almighty dollar. Now if we get Holland, our pen could be stacked.

Quote    Reply   

#480 [url]

Dec 12 16 2:58 PM

WildHare wrote:

You said it twice but maybe once wasn't enough.  Truly great news.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help