Remove this ad

#501 [url]

Dec 14 16 9:53 AM

Read where we are still hot on Dozier but no deal imminent. I'm thinking that the Dodgers don't want to give up Stewart and JDL for Dozier. I'm not sure I would do that deal either for both unless there are no other options. JDL is a really big asset. I would rather try to move Stewart and someone else or go after Forsythe who could be had without JDL most likely.

What about Phillips from the Reds? He could fill the void for a couple of years before Calhoun is ready. Could probably start platooning Calhoun next year. He wouldn't be too expensive.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#502 [url]

Dec 14 16 1:36 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
Read where we are still hot on Dozier but no deal imminent. I'm thinking that the Dodgers don't want to give up Stewart and JDL for Dozier. I'm not sure I would do that deal either for both unless there are no other options. JDL is a really big asset. I would rather try to move Stewart and someone else or go after Forsythe who could be had without JDL most likely.

What about Phillips from the Reds? He could fill the void for a couple of years before Calhoun is ready. Could probably start platooning Calhoun next year. He wouldn't be too expensive.

I think the biggest reason we would prefer Dozier is that the Twins haven't asked for Bellinger. I remember reading that the Rays wanted Bellinger plus more bats for Forsythe. We have bats, but the best ones are earmarked for our ML roster in '18 or '19. Pitching, we have in spades and even though I love JDL, I think we need a righty bat with significant pop more than a maybe sixth starter this year. If we deal JDL and Stewart, we still have young arms like Stripling, Wood, Alvarez, Buehler, Sheffield, DeJong, Oaks, Sborz and Sopko all itching to move up the depth chart with little downgrade. If we are going big, then deal from a strength and we are deep in arms.

Quote    Reply   

#504 [url]

Dec 14 16 2:27 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

I think the biggest reason we would prefer Dozier is that the Twins haven't asked for Bellinger. I remember reading that the Rays wanted Bellinger plus more bats for Forsythe. We have bats, but the best ones are earmarked for our ML roster in '18 or '19. Pitching, we have in spades and even though I love JDL, I think we need a righty bat with significant pop more than a maybe sixth starter this year. If we deal JDL and Stewart, we still have young arms like Stripling, Wood, Alvarez, Buehler, Sheffield, DeJong, Oaks, Sborz and Sopko all itching to move up the depth chart with little downgrade. If we are going big, then deal from a strength and we are deep in arms.
If we can get Dozier for his career value, not for the value of one breakout season, then I'm all for it.  Actually, his 2016 BAPIP wasn't far off his career norms, but his ISO was.  I hope the Dodgers have some scouting reports on him, because while appreciating the sabermetrics, I feel the old-time scouts can still provide insight.  That said, Steamer has him OPS'ing .779 next year and hitting 27 home runs.  That kind of production from the right side would definitely be a huge boost to our lineup.  He's signed for two more years at a total of $15M, which is a bargain.  I'd be tempted to include JDL + for a guy who will help us right now and hope 2016 wasn't an aberration.

Quote    Reply   

#505 [url]

Dec 14 16 5:04 PM

WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

If we can get Dozier for his career value, not for the value of one breakout season, then I'm all for it.  Actually, his 2016 BAPIP wasn't far off his career norms, but his ISO was.  I hope the Dodgers have some scouting reports on him, because while appreciating the sabermetrics, I feel the old-time scouts can still provide insight.  That said, Steamer has him OPS'ing .779 next year and hitting 27 home runs.  That kind of production from the right side would definitely be a huge boost to our lineup.  He's signed for two more years at a total of $15M, which is a bargain.  I'd be tempted to include JDL + for a guy who will help us right now and hope 2016 wasn't an aberration.

I think this is a fair stance and I could see it happening, especially in this hot seller's market, but I could also see the reluctance to include JDL, as I anticipate he'll play a big part in 2017, too.  Clearly not as big as Dozier would, but a solid cog a la Stripling last year.  Naturally, he'll also be at league minimum in salary for the next several years.  I'd prefer to move a few of the lower level top prospects + Stewart, but I can see how the Twins are holding out for more after what the White Sox got.  Forsythe or Phillips are options, too, as others have mentioned.  Korean FA Hwang Jae-gyun could be a fall back if he's able to move from third to second, but I could see the Dodgers going with Utley if it gets to that point.

Quote    Reply   

#506 [url]

Dec 14 16 5:05 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Joc to left, Cain to center and Puig in right. Best defensive outfield in the game. Probably cost us Verdugo, Stewart and Toles to get Cain but I would do it. Just got to figure out the pieces beyond JDL to get Dozier. Probably Calhoun and Sborz
I know you wrote this a couple days ago, Torg, but I'm traveling... but color me sold on Toles. Totally cool with him getting the nod in April, saving money in that spot, etc.  We need a lead off hitter, and the dude fits the bill perfectly. I think he's got a great approach at the plate, has a good rep for being a hard worker and good listener, so room to keep growing.  Go ahead and deal Puig for Braun and put Toles in RF if the deal comes up, but I say let's see what Toles can do.

Quote    Reply   

#507 [url]

Dec 14 16 5:08 PM

Interesting notes from Chris Camello of the Rebel Media Group on a Dozier deal. The Twins are higher on Walker Buehler than JDL. Now, I saw some scouts were raving over how electric Buehler's fastball was (upper nineties with nasty arm side sink) and the late break on his slider but it was a very small sample size. Still, would we rather deal Buehler than JDL to get Dozier? Buehler is likely close as a relief pitcher and given his full on delivery and skinny frame, it is possible he will never be a starter, but then a name rolls through my head; Pedro Martinez, another skinny, smallish righthander with electric stuff. I don't think Dozier is another Delano DeShields, but we could have lightning in a bottle with Buehler. Of course, Pedro never had a TJ, which factors into the equation. I just wonder if the FO is also thinking Buehler could be a generational righthander and that is the reason this deal is in limbo.

Quote    Reply   

#508 [url]

Dec 14 16 5:20 PM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
Joc to left, Cain to center and Puig in right. Best defensive outfield in the game. Probably cost us Verdugo, Stewart and Toles to get Cain but I would do it. Just got to figure out the pieces beyond JDL to get Dozier. Probably Calhoun and Sborz
I know you wrote this a couple days ago, Torg, but I'm traveling... but color me sold on Toles. Totally cool with him getting the nod in April, saving money in that spot, etc.  We need a lead off hitter, and the dude fits the bill perfectly. I think he's got a great approach at the plate, has a good rep for being a hard worker and good listener, so room to keep growing.  Go ahead and deal Puig for Braun and put Toles in RF if the deal comes up, but I say let's see what Toles can do.

Hey, l love Toles, also. The thing is, Toles is still a question mark. He did great last year and I would be happy with him leading off, but he is a lefty stick and his .365 BABIP seems unsustainable even though his hard hit numbers seem to indicate he could maintain that number. I just don't want to mortgage the farm on a SSS. I doubt that Braun is even a consideration anymore, combination of salary and commitment would seem make that deal a non-starter. I think that Puig is saying and doing the right things this winter and the front office will give him a short rope this spring. If he tanks or becomes Bad Puig, then either Bellinger or Verdugo gets an early start on their MLB careers.

Quote    Reply   

#509 [url]

Dec 14 16 10:06 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

Hey, l love Toles, also. The thing is, Toles is still a question mark. He did great last year and I would be happy with him leading off, but he is a lefty stick and his .365 BABIP seems unsustainable even though his hard hit numbers seem to indicate he could maintain that number. I just don't want to mortgage the farm on a SSS. I doubt that Braun is even a consideration anymore, combination of salary and commitment would seem make that deal a non-starter. I think that Puig is saying and doing the right things this winter and the front office will give him a short rope this spring. If he tanks or becomes Bad Puig, then either Bellinger or Verdugo gets an early start on their MLB careers.
Agreed on the SSS.  And it seems everyone is either forgetting or just not mentioning Andre Ethier on purpose.  Put Thompson and Van Slyke (who had a down year - can be expected from a guy with his role, having basically a SSS every single year) in that mix along with Verdugo and Bellinger, and we have a lot of options in the OF.  I'm guessing Cain/Bautista are just ruses or gamesmanship to keep the gnats and Rockies (I think they're gonna be the 3rd place NL West team in 2017) on their toes.

Quote    Reply   

#510 [url]

Dec 15 16 4:19 AM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:

Agreed on the SSS.  And it seems everyone is either forgetting or just not mentioning Andre Ethier on purpose.  Put Thompson and Van Slyke (who had a down year - can be expected from a guy with his role, having basically a SSS every single year) in that mix along with Verdugo and Bellinger, and we have a lot of options in the OF.  I'm guessing Cain/Bautista are just ruses or gamesmanship to keep the gnats and Rockies (I think they're gonna be the 3rd place NL West team in 2017) on their toes.

I was just thinking about Ethier and how stacked our outfield would be if he could just replicate, not his peak years, but 2015, his last injury free season.  I think our outfield is fine if Thompson and SVS stay off the DL and perform reasonably well.  

And, if it means keeping Buehler and JDL, I would be okay with Brandon Phillips for a year.  Phillips is going into the last year of his contract.  He can still make some fancy plays at second base, but his defense is going the direction expected of a 35 year-old.  Still trying to figure out why we didn't just keep Howie Kendrick.  He's two years younger and $2M cheaper than Phillips and provides similar production.  

Who knows, maybe they think they can get something out of Darnell Sweeney, who came back in the Howie deal?  He's a switch hitter, so maybe they think they can platoon him with an aging Utley?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#511 [url]

Dec 15 16 6:17 AM

monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:

It is hard to remember Andre because last year was a lost year and of the guys we could/should trade with bloated salaries and slim chance of contributing, Andre is there with Kazmir and BMac.    I think we can agree that Andre's defense is downsliding and even if his leg is 100%, age and rust could be a huge issue regarding his playing time.   Seeing as how his 2018 option will not be execrised and he will be bought out, this is his walk year.   I just think the Dodgers will find a team in the AL who needs a lefty stick for DH/corner outfield platoon player, eat about $10 million of remainder of his contract and trade him.    Oakland, Tampa, the Yankees could all be destinations for Dre, if the Dodgers can't find a role for him on this team.    I mean, he could stick, but will he be happy with 250 or so plate appearances?  Figure, if no more moves are made, that Toles, Pederson and Puig are getting most of the playing time with Trayce being the fourth outfielder and then a nice Spring Training battle between Andre, Ruf, Segedin and SVS for the last spot out there.   Given that Segedin can handle third and first, I would think he gets a leg up on everyone as Pigpen and the FO value guys who can play multiple positions.   

Got to laugh about the Rockie's idea of playing Desmond at first.   Grant Bisbee of McCoveyChronicles.com had a hilarious line about Desmond.  Basically he likened it to using a brand new PlayStation to toast a slice of bread.    Sure, the Rockies will hit (in Denver, at least) but defense could be a problem (first basemen are important) and pitching is still an issue.  

Quote    Reply   

#512 [url]

Dec 15 16 8:49 AM

NewportDodger wrote:

Two things that might keep Phillips away, he has no trade protection and his $14.4 million salary that I am sure the Reds won't pay any part of.     Add in his lessening range. lack of obp and age wreaking havoc on his skills and I would pass.    In order of preference, I would want Dozier, Forsythe, Solarte, Kinsler and then Phillips.    Each comes with a high price tag in either trade capital or salary and each has warts.   But, seeing as how we are looking at a Kike/Micah Johnson platoon, we need to make a move in this area and soon.  

Quote    Reply   

#513 [url]

Dec 15 16 9:14 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

Two things that might keep Phillips away, he has no trade protection and his $14.4 million salary that I am sure the Reds won't pay any part of.     Add in his lessening range. lack of obp and age wreaking havoc on his skills and I would pass.    In order of preference, I would want Dozier, Forsythe, Solarte, Kinsler and then Phillips.    Each comes with a high price tag in either trade capital or salary and each has warts.   But, seeing as how we are looking at a Kike/Micah Johnson platoon, we need to make a move in this area and soon.  

There has to be a second base "plan", because no way they dump Kendrick for a pinch hitter and leave the position unfilled.  Not saying Howie is any great shakes, but he's better than a platoon of any players now on our roster.  The timing on trading Kendrick is definitely puzzling, since we have no fall back options other than re-signing Utley and his horrible splits and declining skill set or making a deal with our backs firmly positioned against the wall.

On Ethier, and you probably know I'm a big fan of his and that may skew my judgment, but I think he can have a bounce back year if his leg is fully healed.  He had a good 2015 and was raking in spring training last year before the fluke injury on the foul ball.  He's 34 which isn't ancient for an outfielder and the time off may be beneficial.  The only stinker season he had was 2014, when we had too many of's and he got shuttled to the back for Crawford.  (Thanks, Donny Maddeningly.)

Quote    Reply   

#514 [url]

Dec 15 16 10:45 AM

WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

There has to be a second base "plan", because no way they dump Kendrick for a pinch hitter and leave the position unfilled.  Not saying Howie is any great shakes, but he's better than a platoon of any players now on our roster.  The timing on trading Kendrick is definitely puzzling, since we have no fall back options other than re-signing Utley and his horrible splits and declining skill set or making a deal with our backs firmly positioned against the wall.

On Ethier, and you probably know I'm a big fan of his and that may skew my judgment, but I think he can have a bounce back year if his leg is fully healed.  He had a good 2015 and was raking in spring training last year before the fluke injury on the foul ball.  He's 34 which isn't ancient for an outfielder and the time off may be beneficial.  The only stinker season he had was 2014, when we had too many of's and he got shuttled to the back for Crawford.  (Thanks, Donny Maddeningly.)

I would love to see Dre come back strong, too. I just don't see enough at bats or versatility to ensure he won't be moved. His competition can play the corners, but also first base and in Van Slyke's case, centerfield. Because Dre is limited to the corners and his numbers against lefthanders being awful (not that he is the only one), Dre may be the odd man out. Then again, if Puig is all talk and no substance, Dre might be in line for 400+ plate appearances. I just don't know if this front office will wait if a trade offer comes for Dre. Lovely afternoon, the temperature topped out at ten degrees and that will be balmy because the weather-guesser is saying we might not get warmer than minus one tomorrow. Glad the Christmas shopping is done and we have zero reason to venture outside. I just hope Camello is right and there is some movement towards completing the Dozier trade soon. I am thinking we need to clear one roster spot today or tomorrow for Ginger Jesus and if no trade happens I gotta think Frias gets the nice parting gift.

Quote    Reply   

#515 [url]

Dec 15 16 11:15 AM

@AaronGleeman People in two different, non-Twins front offices have told me today that they're convinced Brian Dozier will be traded. Lotta Dodgers steam.
@AaronGleeman Asked around on this again. Twins and Dodgers still talking. Sense is they're haggling over what comes with De Leon.

Quote    Reply   

#517 [url]

Dec 15 16 1:17 PM

I like what Eithier has done for the Dodgers over the years. I am of the opinion that guys his age don't typically get better without chemical enhancement and that's not his thing. I think we have seen the best of him and that he is a massively depreciating asset that if we could trade to an AL team that needs a DH, it would have been done already. He is a good guy who deserves more opportunities and he most likely won't get them here. I also think that Puig is Fool's Gold and wants to really stay here rather than be sent to some shithole where he will never get close to the playoffs again. For that reason, he is going to say all of the right things like he usually does at this time of year and will be a golden boy in ST if he makes it that far. I am not doubting his talent but the sample size is big enough that I feel they need to move him. The reason they don't is because they are scared that he will magically morph into Puig of old which has been gone for awhile.

Dozier plugs a big gap for the team if they can get him. I don't want to buy high but we are stuck right now from the looks of it. We need him and a quality bullpen arm. I think they are dialed in on Holland but my guess is the holdup is that Boras is trying to squeeze another suitor in there to get more than a one-year incentive-laded deal. This makes me wonder also why nobody has touched Blanton? He could have overpriced himself.

Quote    Reply   

#519 [url]

Dec 15 16 9:54 PM

Norm wrote:
Scratch Yimi from the 40 man roster.

@jphoornstra The Dodgers say Yimi Garcia underwent Tommy John surgery October 25 in Arizona.
IIRC, Yimi can't be put on the 60-day DL until March, at the earliest.   We still have a roster crunch.   The yahoos up here on TSN are saying they think it will be a four for one deal.   No names other than JDL, but the Twins likely won't let us get away cheap.   I would hope they would at least eat half of BMac's contract for the next two years as a nice gesture.   God knows they need arms, any arms, even an arm that is attached to a head that seemed to have the yips last summer.   

Quote    Reply   

#520 [url]

Dec 16 16 2:12 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Willie Calhoun included in a deal for Dozier. Calhoun can hit, but his defense is questionable. You can get away with questionable defense playing for a below average team. You can't when you're playing for a contending team because it's just too important. I think he has always been excellent trade bait because of that. And an AL team has always been his best landing point because he'll still be able to DH once they figure out that the defensive issues are going to persist and aren't going away.

I'm resigned to losing De Leon, but only because there is so much more in the pipeline behind him. If Dozier comes across then there is no harm in losing Calhoun along with JDL.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Trayce Thompson included in the trade as I think he has been surpassed by Toles, and they need to clear room for others. Plus, the entire team can't continue to collectively suck ass versus lefties for another year on such a monumental scale, so his loss isn't all that great.

So JDL, Trayce, Calhoun, and one other middling prospect for Dozier... that sounds about right.

That being said, that only works if the Twins are willing to play ball and not try to get a deal done along the lines of what the ChiSox got for Adam Eaton, which has completely skewed the trade market. The above four are more than fair offerings for a player the Twins can't afford to keep. Anything else is just getting greedy and extortionate.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help