Remove this ad

#541 [url]

Dec 19 16 7:32 AM

Pretty interesting comment by Jason Stark about the A's:

We're guessing you haven't read the fine print in the labor deal. So you should know there's something amazing in it: The A's had a giant target spray-painted all over their crumbling stadium.

For years now, they've been surviving by cashing enormous revenue-sharing checks, even though they play in the sixth-largest TV market in America. But not for long.

It's incredibly rare for any labor agreement to single out one team. But it happened in this agreement. The A's will lose 25 percent of their revenue-sharing money next year, 50 percent in 2018, 75 percent in 2019 and all of it after that.

Why? Because everyone in baseball clearly thought it was time to send them a message: Build. That. Stadium. Already. Or else!

Too many folks in the game obviously saw the A's as a team that felt no pressure to get out of its current rut. So only two things can happen now: (1) They make a deal to build a ballpark somewhere in Oakland, with Jack London Square or the Coliseum area as the likely sites; or (2) they sell the team -- and someone else tackles this mess.

But no matter which of those two winds up happening, this is a franchise with very little hope of generating a whole lot of revenue in the short term. And that's not good.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#542 [url]

Dec 19 16 10:00 AM

The A's are a joke to their fans. They just keep selling off their players with no intentions of ever being a legit contender. They are the poster child for greed in the MLB and are basically a farm system for every other team.

Quote    Reply   

#545 [url]

Dec 20 16 8:51 AM

Phillies get Clay Buchholz for a minor league second baseman. No money changed hands, so the Phils are taking a risk that Buchholz can find his stuff in a less stressful enviorment.

Quote    Reply   

#548 [url]

Dec 20 16 5:29 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Phillies get Clay Buchholz for a minor league second baseman. No money changed hands, so the Phils are taking a risk that Buchholz can find his stuff in a less stressful enviorment.

Serenity now.

Quote    Reply   

#550 [url]

Dec 21 16 3:41 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
This will make a friend of mine in Florida happy.  He absolutely despised the sight of Buchholz in a Red Sox uniform.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#552 [url]

Dec 21 16 2:37 PM

Listened to Heyman regarding Dozier and the Dodgers; JDL is agreed upon, but the Twins want Alvarez or Buehler and we are willing to move Stewart and Calhoun. It may take a fourth piece (Thompson?) to get the Twins to back off on Alvarez. From what I have heard, the only way the Dodgers move Alvarez is for someone who they can control for more than two years (Archer) and get a second baseman in that deal. As of right now, I wonder if the Blue might be better off giving Kinsler his extension if Avila backs off on his demands.

Quote    Reply   

#553 [url]

Dec 21 16 3:02 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Listened to Heyman regarding Dozier and the Dodgers; JDL is agreed upon, but the Twins want Alvarez or Buehler and we are willing to move Stewart and Calhoun. It may take a fourth piece (Thompson?) to get the Twins to back off on Alvarez. From what I have heard, the only way the Dodgers move Alvarez is for someone who they can control for more than two years (Archer) and get a second baseman in that deal. As of right now, I wonder if the Blue might be better off giving Kinsler his extension if Avila backs off on his demands.

That's waaaay too rich for my blood.  JDL is major league ready, had video game K numbers in the minors and was #5 overall on Sickel's end of the year prospect rankings.  To include Stewart and Calhoun, too, and maybe even a fourth piece, is Stewartian to me.  I'd sooner wait for the trade deadline or kick the tires on say, Solarte.

Quote    Reply   

#554 [url]

Dec 21 16 3:18 PM

@MillerStrib Twins to add analytics-minded coach Jeff Pickler to Paul Molitor's staff, but exact roles still being determined.
@MillerStrib Jeff Pickler has worked under GMs Josh Byrnes, Jed Hoyer and Andrew Friedman in his career. Spent last 2 years in Dodgers' front office.
[email protected] As Dozier derby continues, #mntwins couldn't have a better source of inside knowledge on #Dodgers prospects than new coach Jeff Pickler.

Quote    Reply   

#555 [url]

Dec 22 16 5:14 AM

Moose wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

That's waaaay too rich for my blood.  JDL is major league ready, had video game K numbers in the minors and was #5 overall on Sickel's end of the year prospect rankings.  To include Stewart and Calhoun, too, and maybe even a fourth piece, is Stewartian to me.  I'd sooner wait for the trade deadline or kick the tires on say, Solarte.

We can send thanks to Mike Rizzo and Dave Stewart for that.   They overpaid huge for marginal talents and now the going price is ridiculous.    I would hope the Dodgers hold the line on JDL (who some scouts are down on and think will be a 3/4 at best) and Stewart as the price for Dozieer.   I am just a bit confused the Dodgers haven't talked to Texas about Profar to take over at second.   He has more control and is younger.   Might cost us Calhoun and JDL, but I would do it in a second.   Then again, given that the Dodgers seem to make deals out of nowhere, maybe Profar is the target and Dozier is nothing more than some wonks' ideas.  

Quote    Reply   

#556 [url]

Dec 22 16 6:35 AM

Pirates sign Ivan Nova, three years, $26 million. I think this will be the JA Happ signing of the winter. Pirates got a bargain and this likely takes them out of the Quintana sweepstakes.

Quote    Reply   

#557 [url]

Dec 22 16 10:38 AM

The Twins are a bad organization and will continue to be a bad organization so keeping Dozier is a wasted asset. No way is he worth that big of a package. I expect anyone of sound mind would walk from that and leave them with their junk in their hands.

Quote    Reply   

#559 [url]

Dec 22 16 6:14 PM

Encarnacion to the Indians for three years and $65 million. Maybe the market is coming back to normalcy. Jansen, Turner and now, Encarnacion have all signed for less than was predicted.

Quote    Reply   

#560 [url]

Dec 23 16 8:10 AM

As the Dozier situation drags on, both sides are acting like crappy poker players. The Twinkies continue to act as if there is no urgency to their situation, even though they are in non-compete mode and Dozier's value will never be higher than it is now. They also keep throwing out the rumor that Gnats are in on Dozier, which is a smoke screen, imo. Meanwhile, the Dodgers profess interest in Ian Kinsler and Logan Forsythe, each who brings less to the table.

My question continues to be, "Why did they dump Howie Kendrick and back themselves into a corner with no viable option at 2B?" The return was a salary dump of $10M and a defensively and speed challenged right handed hitter with a spotty offensive record and a guy we gave up on years ago. I understand that they are hoping Ruf can bring some pop against lefties, but how is he an upgrade over SVS? Darnell Sweeney is probably AAA fodder, at best.

You can probably argue that Kendrick is not worth the $10M owed him, but I think at age 33 is capable of one more solid year. He had some injury issues last year and then was thrown into the outfield, when most of his career he had played 2B. If nothing else, the Twins would not view us as desperate and might be more reasonable in their demands.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help