Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Oct 26 16 4:14 PM

Rangers outrighted Shawn Tolleson today. Would like to see the Dodgers sign him. He had two really good years at Texas, becoming their closer, before hitting the skids this year and ending the season on the 60-day DL with a back injury. His BABIP shows he may have been a bit of a bad luck victim this year, and he seems a low risk, high reward option. He's also buddies with Kershaw, so that couldn't hurt.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Oct 26 16 6:50 PM

ocmike24 wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:
Everybody keeps saying Corey is going to eventually have to be moved off SS.  I'm still not convinced.  He's very smooth for a guy his size. Think Tulo.  The only way I move Corey off SS in 2017 is if we don't sign Big Red, and a very smooth defensive SS with some pop comes available (like Vilar).  Otherwise, leave him there.

No, you get me wrong.  I want Vilar for second base.   I don't like his arm at short, but he has more than enough range and arm at second.   I have zero interest in moving Seager anywhere until Gavin Lux is deemed ready, probably in three years.  

Torg, give me some insight on Lux.  From looking at his numbers this year, he has no power, no speed, and was the second coming of JosE OffErman in the field.

The power will come, the kid is tall, 6'3" and lanky, a dripping wet 180 but he has a sweet swing and already has gap power.   I put zero value in errors in the minors, fields are usually not as well manicured as they are in the MLB and I worry more about range, footwork and arm strength, three things Lux has already.   The power will come and keep in mind, unlike a lot of kids who play year-round, Lux grew up in Milwaukee and was limited to spring and summer.  He did spent some time during his senior year in Arizona where he got on the prospect map.   He is also one of those kids who cannot play enough, so I figure his learning curve will be quick.    Maybe by the time he is 21, he is pushing Seager to third, about three years.  

One thing I noticed about the kid is that he scores runs and he gets on base.    I think the speed aspect will come as he is considered to have 65 - 70 speed on an 80 scale.    But, we know that speed doesn't always translate to stolen bases, he needs to know how to run the bases and read pitchers, I think those things are already there and I am hoping he starts in Great Lakes and gets a shot at batting leadoff for the Loons.  

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Oct 26 16 7:03 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
Who is going to play third then? They aren't going to give a 4 year $15 million dollar deal to Turner.
Who sez?   From everything I have read, they are negotiating in earnest with his and Kenley's agent and given that there are no real options at third, the FO has to resign him/them.    I can't see any real options in the trade market unless you know of some secret trade talk with the Royals for Cuthbert or the Twins for Plouffe, the two likeliest guys who play third and could change addresses, IMO.  

This FO just doesn't go that route with older players like Turner.  They like 2-3 years max.  I will believe it when I see it because Turner is going to get 4 years $60 million or more from someone.  I don't think he is going to be giving a hometown discount either since this is his one chance to cash it and he will want that 4th year.  It's the market and I just don't see them paying him when will be 32 in November.  They seem to shy away from those deals.  Jansen is going to get some ridiculous sum of money since there are only 3 real closers out there in Chapman(who is never going to be allowed out of Chicago), Melancon and KJ.  Jansen could be wearing a Met uniform because I don't see them sticking with Familia even though he was lights out during the year.  He choked when it mattered.  The Yankees, who have a boatload of cash to spend now could be looking as well.  

I wouldn't even be shocked to see them go sign a guy like Mark Reynolds to a 2 year deal at 6 million/per because he would be cheaper and still have some pop.  Chicago will pay a Chapman a ridiculous amount of money and probably let Travis Wood walk so that's that type of guy we would go after since he will be cheaper.  

I will be pleasantly surprised if this FO really rocks the boat when it comes to spending money or making a big trade.  I can see Braun here.  It makes sense but that contract sucks so they will cut corners elsewhere.  If they want Milwaukee to take on most of the salary, it will cost them in trade bait. 

The FO likes to spread the wealth so it means a lot more Jimmies and Joes than star power.  You can just see in the comments when they say that they are so close to the Cubs when it reality, they are not as it stands today.  The Nationals will be back next year healthy as well and then you have the Mets, Giants, etc.  A lot of competition and I think teams would be happy to pay more to get Jansen because it not only makes them better but it critically hurts the Dodgers.  

I guess I don't see that.   While I doubt they blow it up, I don't see them scared of four years for Turner or five to six years for Jansen.    Now, Hill getting more than two years is not going to happen with this front office and I am sure we will see some one or two year deals with guys like Blanton, Utley (the guy's value is in clubhouse) and Ruiz.   I do see them overvaluing versatility and the Joe Maddon Method, but I find that short-sighted when they overvalue a guy like Kike Hernandez or Howie Kendrick.   I also think that this is the off-season they go big in the trade market and target guys like Martinez, Braun, Kinsler, Dozier and a frontline starter, whether it be Greinke, Verlander or Sale, if the White Sox decide to blow it up.  There is no question we have plenty of ammo to get more than one of these guys and as many as three.   Ridiculous depth, a bottomless pool of money and a front office which knows the honeymoon is ending.   I just think that it will be one helluva Christmas for Dodger fans.  

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Oct 26 16 8:02 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
Who sez?   From everything I have read, they are negotiating in earnest with his and Kenley's agent and given that there are no real options at third, the FO has to resign him/them.    I can't see any real options in the trade market unless you know of some secret trade talk with the Royals for Cuthbert or the Twins for Plouffe, the two likeliest guys who play third and could change addresses, IMO.  

This FO just doesn't go that route with older players like Turner.  They like 2-3 years max.  I will believe it when I see it because Turner is going to get 4 years $60 million or more from someone.  I don't think he is going to be giving a hometown discount either since this is his one chance to cash it and he will want that 4th year.  It's the market and I just don't see them paying him when will be 32 in November.  They seem to shy away from those deals.  Jansen is going to get some ridiculous sum of money since there are only 3 real closers out there in Chapman(who is never going to be allowed out of Chicago), Melancon and KJ.  Jansen could be wearing a Met uniform because I don't see them sticking with Familia even though he was lights out during the year.  He choked when it mattered.  The Yankees, who have a boatload of cash to spend now could be looking as well.  

I wouldn't even be shocked to see them go sign a guy like Mark Reynolds to a 2 year deal at 6 million/per because he would be cheaper and still have some pop.  Chicago will pay a Chapman a ridiculous amount of money and probably let Travis Wood walk so that's that type of guy we would go after since he will be cheaper.  

I will be pleasantly surprised if this FO really rocks the boat when it comes to spending money or making a big trade.  I can see Braun here.  It makes sense but that contract sucks so they will cut corners elsewhere.  If they want Milwaukee to take on most of the salary, it will cost them in trade bait. 

The FO likes to spread the wealth so it means a lot more Jimmies and Joes than star power.  You can just see in the comments when they say that they are so close to the Cubs when it reality, they are not as it stands today.  The Nationals will be back next year healthy as well and then you have the Mets, Giants, etc.  A lot of competition and I think teams would be happy to pay more to get Jansen because it not only makes them better but it critically hurts the Dodgers.  

I guess I don't see that.   While I doubt they blow it up, I don't see them scared of four years for Turner or five to six years for Jansen.    Now, Hill getting more than two years is not going to happen with this front office and I am sure we will see some one or two year deals with guys like Blanton, Utley (the guy's value is in clubhouse) and Ruiz.   I do see them overvaluing versatility and the Joe Maddon Method, but I find that short-sighted when they overvalue a guy like Kike Hernandez or Howie Kendrick.   I also think that this is the off-season they go big in the trade market and target guys like Martinez, Braun, Kinsler, Dozier and a frontline starter, whether it be Greinke, Verlander or Sale, if the White Sox decide to blow it up.  There is no question we have plenty of ammo to get more than one of these guys and as many as three.   Ridiculous depth, a bottomless pool of money and a front office which knows the honeymoon is ending.   I just think that it will be one helluva Christmas for Dodger fans.  

I would love to believe that but there has been nothing this FO has shown since they got here that they will go "All in."  They search for the best deals on players and don't give the longterm deals like 5-6 years for the Jansens of the world.  I think they have done well is some spots and not so well in others.  What sucks is that the money they wasted on guys like Anderson, McCarthy and Kazmir, they could have afforded a big gun.  Zero chance on Sale because there is no way that they trade their two biggest chips:  DeLeon and Urias.  That is what it will take to start for a guy that good.  Sale isn't coming for Bellinger.  They will want 1-2 starters in return.

DeLeon and Urias represent what a guy like Kasten stands for which is building from within.  This team wants to be around for a long time and gutting the team in trades for a big market guys will never jive with that plan.  I also don't think Walter is as motivated to spend huge bucks as it was advertised.  They have a budget and they are going to try and remake the roster within that budget.  They did those Tier 2 deals in the Winter and at the deadline and I think they will follow the same plan which is to sit out the main game and see what shakes out.  I do believe that they will make offers to Turner and Jansen but they aren't going to break the bank for them.  I don't think they value anyone over the vision unless it's one of the two pitchers I mentioned, CK or Seager.  Everyone else is an asset that is replaceable.

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Oct 27 16 4:18 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

Quoting Friedman:  "There's a number of guys that we will bet on next year, and not to overreact also. It gets back to creating the most well-balanced roster we can."

The emphasis is mine, but that doesn't sound at all like Greinke, Verlander, Sale, Dozier, or any big ticket items. Seems quite the opposite.  The business plan is in place and that's the way they intend to execute their strategy.  Expecting three of those is setting yourself up for a Blue (in the wrong way) Christmas.    As the old saying goes, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas."

I just hope the guys they plan to "bet on next year" are Jansen and Turner.  And, I'm hoping by "well balanced" he means constructing a roster able to handle left handed pitching better, which should not include demoting Puig and acquiring the likes of Reddick.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Oct 27 16 7:06 AM

Cespedes will be on the market. He is basically what we hoped Puig would be. Only costs cash. If they want to upgrade the Offense, go get him, move Puig for something else. Cespedes, Pederson/Thompson and Toles is an acceptable OF.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Oct 27 16 8:28 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
Cespedes will be on the market. He is basically what we hoped Puig would be. Only costs cash. If they want to upgrade the Offense, go get him, move Puig for something else. Cespedes, Pederson/Thompson and Toles is an acceptable OF.

Agreed, would much rather have Cespedes than Braun (if that's even an option)

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Oct 27 16 11:30 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
Who is going to play third then? They aren't going to give a 4 year $15 million dollar deal to Turner.
Why not?  Heck, if he comes that cheap, I'd be surprised.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Oct 27 16 11:31 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
monsooner wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
Not like we don't have more prospects to move.   We ain't the Snakes, we can deal from our farm system and not bankrupt it in one move.    Thinking there is enough momentum for the Brewers to get out from under Braun's contract that they will be happy to see most of it go bye-bye and it might not take more than Puig.    Now, if we want Vilar, then it will be a bit more costly.   

Everybody keeps saying Corey is going to eventually have to be moved off SS.  I'm still not convinced.  He's very smooth for a guy his size. Think Tulo.  The only way I move Corey off SS in 2017 is if we don't sign Big Red, and a very smooth defensive SS with some pop comes available (like Vilar).  Otherwise, leave him there.

No, you get me wrong.  I want Vilar for second base.   I don't like his arm at short, but he has more than enough range and arm at second.   I have zero interest in moving Seager anywhere until Gavin Lux is deemed ready, probably in three years.  

Oh, I see.  I figured Vilar for a SS only - my bad.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Oct 27 16 11:36 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

Turner is a "young" 32, given he never had a starting role until 2015.  Late bloomer.  So I'm not too worried about giving him 4/$65 or so.  Plus, perhaps I'm gullible, but I'd like to take Kasten at his word when he says he wants to pay the guys who "come up through the system as Dodgers," which, in my book, that's JT.  I realize he wasn't a farmhand of ours, but he got his chance here, and surpassed everyone's expectations.  He's also the undisputed leader in the clubhouse.  So I say pay the man.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#52 [url]

Oct 27 16 1:04 PM

monsooner wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

Turner is a "young" 32, given he never had a starting role until 2015.  Late bloomer.  So I'm not too worried about giving him 4/$65 or so.  Plus, perhaps I'm gullible, but I'd like to take Kasten at his word when he says he wants to pay the guys who "come up through the system as Dodgers," which, in my book, that's JT.  I realize he wasn't a farmhand of ours, but he got his chance here, and surpassed everyone's expectations.  He's also the undisputed leader in the clubhouse.  So I say pay the man.

"Up through the system as Dodgers" equals Kenley Jansen.  Works for me on JT, as well.  I really think Turner wants to stay with the Dodgers.  He's had his best success there, he's from Fullerton, and the fans love him.  I think Courtney likes it there too, so what else do we need except to make a competitive offer?

Would really like to see them bring back Tolleson on a minor league or minimum major league contract.  I think this might mollify Kershaw over losing his buddy, AJ.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Oct 27 16 1:32 PM

Being in the NL (sans DH), I worry about signing players beyond ~35 years of age.  Fortunately guys like Braun or Turner could platoon or see some spot starts at 1b during Bellinger's beginning years, so I could see us viably acquiring either (or both).

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Oct 27 16 1:33 PM

I think adding a guy like Cespedes makes everyone better because he is just pure danger at the dish. The guy rakes. He is a bit Hollywood as well in how he likes to carry himself. You can pencil that guy in for 30 bombs and he is a good OF. I would rather pay him than take on Braun's contract. You put him in there with Turner, Seager, Joc and Agon and you have some balance. I think he is one player who can accomplish a mini-makeover in terms of power and another RH bat.

Then go trade Puig for a 2B or some BP help.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Oct 29 16 7:03 AM

The only problem with signing Cespedes (and I would love the signing, if we went that direction) is cost of the draft pick because the Mets will use the QO on him. He would be a safer bet than Braun and not cost the farm talent to get a lesser glove in Martinez. I would still hope we deal with Detroit, because Ian Kinsler seems a good fit for us and if Avila is open for business, I want him at second. Puig and an arm (Baez, please let it be Baez) for Kinsler works for me. I don't see Puig's value being rehabilitated enough to be more than a part of a trade for a guy like Kinlser.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Oct 30 16 12:50 AM

NewportDodger wrote:
Jesus, autopsy on Fernandez said he had cocaine and twice the legal limit of alcohol in his system. Not good for his legacy. Never took him for a drug user.

The alcohol news doesn't shock me but the coke sure does.  Any athlete who risks damage to his body and potential diminshment to his skills through drug usage is a complete moron.  Nothing good can come from that and the testing program would likely inevitably lead to a suspension etc. somewhere down the road.  You may  believe it was a huge coincidence that the accident exposed the only time he got involved with that drug.  I don't.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Oct 30 16 3:10 AM

www.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article/207514622/zach-britton-kenley-jansen-relievers-of-year/

Good for Kenley and he has a very nice and appreciative video clip here. As for the Dodgers, this won't make him any easier to sign, unfortunately.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help