Remove this ad

#601 [url]

Dec 29 16 8:39 AM

I find it so funny how rival GM's always have a comment on how the Dodgers do business. Now we are being stingy because we won't open our collective asses for the pylon that the Twins want to shove up there.

It's like the media and the other piss poor clubs all want us to unload our farm system so that we don't become some sort of dynasty but they are more than ok with the Cubs doing the same sort of work because they are loveable and we are just a bunch of spoiled pricks.

I love being hated. Jealousy and hate are love when it comes to sports.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#602 [url]

Dec 29 16 7:20 PM

NewportDodger wrote:
I find it so funny how rival GM's always have a comment on how the Dodgers do business. Now we are being stingy because we won't open our collective asses for the pylon that the Twins want to shove up there.

It's like the media and the other piss poor clubs all want us to unload our farm system so that we don't become some sort of dynasty but they are more than ok with the Cubs doing the same sort of work because they are loveable and we are just a bunch of spoiled pricks.

Even Cub fans hate us.   I have a neighbor who is always quick to bring up the Blue dropping three in a row in October to the Cubs and I am equally quick to point out that we are at the same point as the Cubs in 2015 and we have more on the farm than they did last winter.    His comeback is that we haven't added anything and mine is, we resigned the three guys we had to resign, we get Dozier and we still have the best farm in the game to pull from.   Add in healthy seasons from Ethier, Ryu, BMac and full seasons from Toles, Dayton and Urias and he did a backdown.   His weak ass comeback was we didn't have a number two starter and I said Hill or Urias are damn near number twos and if Ryu is healthy, he would be a two on most staffs.  That doesn't even figure in a year older Maeda and a healthy Alex Wood.   Told him we could match the Cubs at every position and might even be better in center, short and right as I think Puig may finally put it all together this season.   Bryant and Turner are closer than most Cub fans would like and if/when we get Dozier, we have them at second.   The only position they might have us is first base and only because AGon is aging, but the minute Bellinger takes over, we are even again.   Arrietta is a better two, today, but if Hill can stay healthy or Urias progresses as expected, that will also be a push.  

Quote    Reply   

#603 [url]

Dec 29 16 11:13 PM

The Twins are indeed trying to get the Dodgers to bid against themselves. They're also trying to get Dodgers fans in a panic by making it seem like the Dodgers might not get Dozier with laughable leaks to the press about non-existant competition for Dozier in a trade.

More important though, and highlighted throughout this discussion about acquiring Dozier, is that the Twins are trying to capitalize on panic amongst the Dodgers -- be it the team, front office, or fans -- about the Dodgers struggles against left-handed pitching last year. Last year was very much an abberation as even players who historically hit left-handed pitching well (Kike, Justin Turner, Scott Van Slyke, etc.) struggled. It was a collapse on a grand scale we rarely see, and which is unlikely to be repeated this year.

Dozier hits lefties well... in comparison to last year's Dodger escapade of ineptitude. In that light you can see why the Twins are holding out. But it would be almost unprecedented for the Dodgers to repeat last year's frustrations on a similar scale.

I'm sure that the Dodgers front office is telling the Twins to lower their expectations and to price Dozier as what he most likely really is: a .265 hitting second baseman with 25HR per year power who will be 30 years old next year. 2016 is most likely an outlier, and when you frame Dozier that way he only warrants one of JDL or Brock Stewart plus some second level prospects. Not both plus one more A-grade prospect and a B-grade prospect.

I appreciate the front office's patience and lack of panic. It continues to allow the team to make overall decent decisions and to not deplete the farm system through panic decisions motivated out of fear.

It's frustrating as fuck at times as a fan, but I have no issues with them playing the long game in decisions like this.

Quote    Reply   

#604 [url]

Dec 29 16 11:30 PM

grabarkewitz wrote:
NewportDodger wrote:

Even Cub fans hate us.   I have a neighbor who is always quick to bring up the Blue dropping three in a row in October to the Cubs and I am equally quick to point out that we are at the same point as the Cubs in 2015 and we have more on the farm than they did last winter.    His comeback is that we haven't added anything and mine is, we resigned the three guys we had to resign, we get Dozier and we still have the best farm in the game to pull from.   Add in healthy seasons from Ethier, Ryu, BMac and full seasons from Toles, Dayton and Urias and he did a backdown.   His weak ass comeback was we didn't have a number two starter and I said Hill or Urias are damn near number twos and if Ryu is healthy, he would be a two on most staffs.  That doesn't even figure in a year older Maeda and a healthy Alex Wood.   Told him we could match the Cubs at every position and might even be better in center, short and right as I think Puig may finally put it all together this season.   Bryant and Turner are closer than most Cub fans would like and if/when we get Dozier, we have them at second.   The only position they might have us is first base and only because AGon is aging, but the minute Bellinger takes over, we are even again.   Arrietta is a better two, today, but if Hill can stay healthy or Urias progresses as expected, that will also be a push.  

You might also want to mention that the Cubs lost Schwarber....and not much else in terms of health.  The Dodgers were record-breakers in the infirmary.  If I remember right, the only 2 other teams to throw 15 different SP (Braves/Angels) were a collective 60 games out of 1st place.  Cubs got lucky on health that likely won't be repeated on the good side like the Dodgers won't be repeated side.  Health (and a directive from MLB to switch momentum with the A-Gon swipe call) will play a huge role in 2017.

Quote    Reply   

#605 [url]

Dec 30 16 8:13 AM

Twins Reportedly Asking Teams For Final Offers On Brian Dozier
By Steve Adams | December 30, 2016 at 8:45am CDT

Brian Dozier’s name has been a focal point of the rumor mill for the better part of a month, but his prolonged saga may be drawing to a close, as La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Twins have asked interested teams to make their best offers for Dozier in the coming days. According to Neal, Minnesota doesn’t want the scenario to drag on too much longer and will prepare to open the 2017 season with Dozier as the second baseman if no palatable offer surfaces.

Neal suggests that the sticking point between the Twins and the Dodgers, who have long been the clear primary suitor for Dozier, has been that Los Angeles is seeking a straight up, one-for-one swap of Dozier and top pitching prospect Jose De Leon. The Twins, meanwhile, have understandably been insistent on the inclusion of at least one more well-regarded prospect. The Dodgers “haven’t blinked,” however, according to Neal. That lines up with this week’s report from FanRag’s Jon Heyman that the Dodgers aren’t willing to include any of Cody Bellinger, Yadier Alvarez or Walker Buehler alongside De Leon in a trade to acquire Dozier.

Other teams to express interest in Dozier at some point this winter include the Giants, Cardinals, Nationals and Braves, per Neal. However, there’s been very little chatter surrounding the Giants’ interest in recent weeks, while reports out of St. Louis and out of D.C. have suggested that interest from those teams may be somewhat overstated. ESPN’s Mark Saxon reported earlier this week that while the Cardinals may have some interest, they’re not actively pursuing Dozier. More recently, he tweeted that the Cardinals’ reported interest was part of the Twins’ effort “to extract max value from the Dodgers.” Meanwhile, Chelsea Janes from the Washington Post reported this week that any inquiries made on the Nationals’ behalf haven’t been serious in nature.

Atlanta hasn’t been mentioned too often as a potential landing spot for Dozier, though there’s certainly a reasonable fit there. Jace Peterson projects as the everyday second baseman at the moment, but Dozier’s bat would represent a marked upgrade. Adding Dozier would run somewhat counter to many of the Braves’ recent maneuverings on the trade market, which have generally taken a more long-term focus, though Atlanta did send three mid-level prospects to the Cardinals to acquire Jaime Garcia. Of course, Dozier would require top-tier young talent, and there’s been no indication that the Braves are willing to deal that type of talent for shorter-term gains.

While it’s certainly possible that one of these teams steps up and makes an offer to rival the Dodgers, or that another surprise suitor emerges from the woodwork, it seems that the likeliest scenario for a Dozier trade would simply be for the Twins and Dodgers to find a common ground. Neal notes that if the Twins were going to pull the trigger on a one-for-one swap, Dozier would’ve been dealt by now, which indicates that a trade would probably require L.A. to improve its current offer.

Considering the fact that Dozier is controlled for another two seasons at a total of $15MM, the Twins don’t need to simply take the best offer that someone puts on the table. While many point to Dozier’s prodigious second half in 2016, he’s somewhat quietly been a very good player for Minnesota over the past four seasons, averaging 4.1 fWAR and 4.5 rWAR per year in that time. The Twins could well hold onto Dozier until the trade deadline, when a larger market for his services — due to injuries to and/or underperformance from second basemen around the league –could emerge. Of course, in doing so, they run the risk that Dozier has another poor start to the season, as he did in 2016, or that he incurs an injury himself.

Quote    Reply   

#607 [url]

Dec 30 16 8:28 AM

beefchopper wrote:
Sure looks to me like the Twins are making a last ditch attempt to get the Dodgers to bid against themselves.
Exactly.  Now Atlanta is even being mentioned as a suitor, even though they already have Jace Peterson there, and presently they are not in the mode  of sending out prospects.  The only thing about that scenario which makes sense is that, Dozier being a Mississippi boy, it would get him closer to home.  Teams don't make trades for that reason, though.  One thing the Twinkies need to remember is that Dozier has only two years until free agency, so he's in essence an extended rental.

Quote    Reply   

#608 [url]

Dec 30 16 8:41 AM

I'll start a separate thread for this soon, with more details, but the short of it: we shall be free at last from Yuku on MLK Day. That's the projected date.

Quote    Reply   

#609 [url]

Dec 30 16 10:58 AM

beefchopper wrote:
Sure looks to me like the Twins are making a last ditch attempt to get the Dodgers to bid against themselves.

Sounds like a last ditch effort by the Twins to get us to part with Alvarez or Bellinger. I still think it will be a three for one or four for two deal with JDL and Dozier being the big pieces. I suspect DeLeon, Stewart, another controllable arm (Stripling, Sborz or Oaks) and a controllable position player for Dozier and Brandon Kinsler. It is a large overpay, but with Rizzo giving up the whole farm and the late, lamented Dave Stewart setting the template for overpay, we aren't getting away cheap.

Last Edited By: grabarkewitz Dec 30 16 11:01 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#610 [url]

Dec 30 16 11:48 AM

Matthew wrote:
I'll start a separate thread for this soon, with more details, but the short of it: we shall be free at last from Yuku on MLK Day. That's the projected date.

Great!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#611 [url]

Dec 30 16 12:36 PM

Matthew wrote:

Great news!!!

Quote    Reply   

#614 [url]

Dec 30 16 5:44 PM

Atlanta makes no sense for Dozier because they suck and no way does he stick around for some 5 year rebuild. If he moves, he is going to want to play for a ring and sending him to Atlanta would be a total screwjob to him personally from an organization he has been loyal to.

That's a bad look for Minnesota and would prove that the only thing they care about is getting a big haul and will stick it in Dozier's ass to do so.

Quote    Reply   

#615 [url]

Dec 31 16 4:15 AM

What is it now? Day 100 of the Who's On Second Sweepstakes? Seems like it, anyway! We may soon be left to ponder a collection of Kike', Culberson, and Micah Johnson. I've even seen Austin Barnes' name mentioned, but with a total of about 150 minor league innings at second base, plus the fact that he projects as the backup catcher (despite only 120 innings at MLB level), that's a reach.

Not to stir up anything (okay, maybe just a little), but we all seem to forget that we had a decent, young, fast, okay L-R splits (ped suspension notwithstanding) second baseman a few years ago. Not much left from that deal, is there?

Quote    Reply   

#617 [url]

Dec 31 16 8:31 PM

In honor of the coming of 2017 (Happy New Year to all), two of the funnier things Mike Stanton said yesterday on XM that he'd rather do than watch the ball drop in Times Square:

1) Sit through an 18 inning Reds-Padres game and:

2) Sit through a 3 inning Pedro Baez outing.

Ouch.

Quote    Reply   

#618 [url]

Jan 3 17 10:22 PM

Hey Matthew! I'm trying to sign up on the new site but it won't send me the confirmation email. I've tried 3 times to resend with no luck. My email address is correct and it's not going to my spam folder. Can you check on it? [email protected]

Quote    Reply   

#619 [url]

Jan 4 17 4:14 AM

derrickm wrote:
Hey Matthew! I'm trying to sign up on the new site but it won't send me the confirmation email. I've tried 3 times to resend with no luck. My email address is correct and it's not going to my spam folder. Can you check on it? [email protected]
I had a similar problem.  I asked to resend the confirmation, and then later I got two confirmation emails, only one of which was valid, of course.  But it worked fine once I got it, and the new site is awesome.

Quote    Reply   

#620 [url]

Jan 4 17 4:29 AM

WildHare wrote:
derrickm wrote:
I had a similar problem.  I asked to resend the confirmation, and then later I got two confirmation emails, only one of which was valid, of course.  But it worked fine once I got it, and the new site is awesome.

How long did it take though? I'm on day 2 or 3 since the first attempt and a day or 2 since the second one.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help