Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 31 16 11:21 AM

Tags : :

As I mentioned yesterday, our long national nightmare is finally nearing an end.  My projected date to leave Yuku should be no later than MLK Day.  Although potentially sooner.  So here's the plan:

1.  We will be moving to Xenforo forum software.  This is the software that will run the forum.  This is $140.  I initially considered us going to another free site, but as you've learned with Yuku, these days "free" means having to pay $6 a month to prevent malware from infecting your computer.  So no more of that, especially since the free options wind up being more expensive in the end (there's a Yogi-ism).

2.  It's not finalized yet, but we'll probably use HawkHost (he gone!).  I've read some good reviews on them, and fortunately, they have some end of the year specials going on, right now.  They have a starter plan for, like, $2.24 a month.  Given the size of our forum, I don't think we need anything more than this.  The advantage is that, if we ever do, or if HawkHost turns into Yuku, we don't have to move forums, we just need to change hosting.

Because we're kind of doing this a bit haphazardly, since we want to get the hell off of Yuku, you might find the new forum to be a bit in flux in terms of design in the initial stages.  Which can be a good thing, because I want this to be something everyone is happy with.  Well, except Kyle.

So about the money part of this:

I can drop $50 down towards the license, and since it's only $2.99 a month, I'll cover the hosting costs.  Now as forums grow, they can get more expensive, so if our forum does grow to the point of eventually requiring greater hosting needs, then I might have to spread that hosting cost around.  But we'll get to that when we have to, if we ever do.

In the meantime, for the generous folks willing to contribute, first off, thank you very much.  Secondly, here's what we can do: I can buy the license and then you can PayPal me (or Square Cash is another option, if you use that) whatever you'd like to contribute.  If you'd rather handle through through private messaging, feel free.

Thanks everyone, and apologies this took so long to happen.  But we're almost there.

Last Edited By: Matthew Dec 31 16 11:28 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 31 16 11:53 AM

You guys never fail to blow me away. I'd like to thank OCMike for his generous contribution and, for that matter, all his contributions on this site, as well. Hughes know I really appreciate it.

Because of his contribution, combined with mine, we're only $40 shy.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 31 16 12:35 PM

Matthew wrote:
You guys never fail to blow me away. I'd like to thank OCMike for his generous contribution and, for that matter, all his contributions on this site, as well. Hughes know I really appreciate it.

Because of his contribution, combined with mine, we're only $40 shy.

I'll contribute the other $40.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 31 16 12:41 PM

Thanks, beef! But turns out, we had another member already contribute the $40. Thanks, EvilEuro! And thanks to everyone for knocking this out so fast. I'm truly blown away.

The Xenforo license will be purchased today. At this rate, we'll be up way, way sooner than MLK, Jr. Day. Probably this week.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help