Remove this ad

Lead

May 13 13 8:41 PM

Tags : :

Since moving over to Yuku, we've lost the "who are you?" thread started a couple years ago.  Please share as much or little as you like.  Even leave some questions blank if you wish. Mostly, just have fun telling everyone a little about yourself.  Easiest way to respond is to copy, hit 'add reply,' and paste the questions in the body.

1) Did you play baseball growing up – do you still?

2) Tell us about your family (single/married/kids)?

3) What do you do for work?

4) What’s the last song that played on your iTunes?

5) What was your favorite TV show as a kid?

6) What is the best movie you've seen in the last couple years?

7) What is your favorite restaurant?

8) What is your favorite vacation spot?

9) Morning person or night owl?

10) Dogs or cats?

Last Edited By: monsooner May 13 13 8:47 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 13 13 8:58 PM

Yes.  Played all over the field except catcher.  Tried to continue into junior college but couldn't keep up with 90+ mph fastballs.  I started playing fast-pitch softball, and as I got older (into my early 20's), I got faster, and really loved center field.

Married to the Blond for 22+ plus years and have 4 great kids.

Lead pastor at CrossRoads Church in Tucson, AZ.

Mystify, INXS

Man, I'll have to answer a few here... Happy Days, Batman (yes, with Adam West and Burt Ward), Three's Company, and of course, watching the Dodgers.

Les Miserables, for the incredible score and acting.

Buddy's Grill.

Lake Havasu, camping right on the shore in September, water skiing and fishing... can't beat it.

Definitely a night owl.

10) Dogs or cats?
Dogs, hands down.  Hate cats.  The current dog of the house is Ryder, a 5-year-old, 110-pound german shepherd.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 14 13 5:18 AM

Neighborhood pick up until it got too dark to see, then some sandlot, but in school, I was deemed by the track coach [ who was also my football coach ] to be valuable, and the baseball coach put up no argument.

Divorced twice, no kids, and no plans for either, especially either one.

Work? Ha! I avoid it. An on the job injury in 2010 led to a nice chunk of change that allowed me to coast into early retirement at 57. I wouldn't recommend taking the painful path that got me here, but now that I'm here and healthy, I'm loving the view.

Gary Stewart - "Drinking Thing"

The Brothers Smothers Comedy Hour

"The Wrestler" - which is surprising because I normally don't care for Mickey Roarke, who is great in this. But Marissa Tomei as a mature stripper, well.......oh man !

I am secure enough, or nuts enough to admit that it's a greasy Waffle House at about 2:30 AM on the weekend. My people ! :)

As I am on vacation now every day, I'd say the screened in deck out back. 2nd, is New York City, especially when I was younger.

Morning. I'm out hiking in the woods out back with my 2 year old white and tan Lab at the crack of dawn. This is also one reason I usually finish west coast Dodgers games the next day on the DVR.

10) Dogs or cats?
Charlie Murphy is my 3rd lab. I had a black, then a chocolate before him. I like cats well enough, but am allergic. I could never imagine life without a big dog. I was accused regularly by my last wife of caring more about my dog than her. Early in the marriage, I would tell her she was wrong. She wasn't. :)

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 14 13 5:57 AM

1) Did you play baseball growing up – do you still? Yes, played up to my junior year at college when it became obvious that I was not going to be the next great Dodger left fielder. Played some fastpitch softball after college, but foot injuries sapped what little speed I had. Played slow-pitch softball for about ten years, but gave that up when my shoulder kept acting up.

2) Tell us about your family (single/married/kids)? Married (twice), once to a girl who I thought I would die with but, at the end, liked to kill her and to a great golf hustler who has made me very happy over the last almost 25 years. Three kids, two girls who we took in when they showed up on our doorstep and who thoroughly mystify me each and every day and the boy who is the apple of his mother's eye and seems to be in my doghouse on a daily basis. Our oldest girl is a radiologist for a local hospital, divorced and just figuring out her way. The middle child is a book store manager and still trying to be a singer in a rock and roll band. The boy is going to be a senior at the U.C. and still plays baseball but he is just playing out the string on that, too.

3) What do you do for work? Retired attorney and still dabbling in land development and trying to be the second Warren Buffett. Every so often, I get to hang my shingle and play lawyer, but no longer have the love or desire to make it more than a hobby

4) What’s the last song that played on your iTunes? My Soul, Your Beats - Soundtrack for Angel Beats.  ( I should add the last video I watched was Doom and Gloom by the Rolling Stones.   Not a huge fan of the Stones, but the video features Noomi Rapace who - IMO - is one of the most beautiful women in the world.  What can I say, I love the gypsy quality in women)

5) What was your favorite TV show as a kid? Batman (Adam West version), Kimba (my first venture into anime) and the Twilight Zone

6) What is the best movie you've seen in the last couple years? I have two, Summer Wars and Cloud Atlas. Summer Wars just because it was the most intriguing idea I have ever seen in Japanese animation and Cloud Atlas because of the courage it took to make a movie with six actors that covered over seven hundred years.

7) What is your favorite restaurant? Melo's. Best gnocchi in the world and they make a damn good pizza.

8) What is your favorite vacation spot? Montreal, or so I am told by the women of this household

9) Morning person or night owl? Night owl. I love late night scary movies and can't miss Craig Ferguson

10) Dogs or cats? Dogs, we have four but I favor the danger chihuahua, LPG. She thinks she is a rottweiler (she bit a police dog and is better than the best security system). Plus, she hates my father and my sister in laws, so she is a good judge of people.

Last Edited By: grabarkewitz May 17 13 9:56 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 14 13 6:53 AM

Neighborhood baseball only. I was never a great athlete but I did have the only first baseman's mitt so I played first base. Also played a lot of wiffle ball with my kids when they were young.

Divorced twice, three sons from first marriage (wife became a lesbian; true story!) Two adult sons are my stepsons but I've raised 'em since they were small so they're mine. Youngest is a year out of college and STILL unemployed. You never stop worrying about your children.

I'm a writer (marketing and technical) for an online broker.

Song for My Father by Horace Silver.

Lost in Space! Bugs Bunny! Also, The Twilight Zone.

A toughie. Probably the Star Trek Reboot and Django Unchained.

Pepe's Pizza in New Haven, CT. Also The Palm at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas and Herbsaint in New Orleans.

Where ever I haven't been yet! Recently went to New Orleans and would go back in a heartbeat. Also would like to get back to Europe and California. Also love the southwest.

Morning. I'm one of those annoying people who are instantly perky the moment we wake up.

10) Dogs or cats?
Both but I have none. The girlfriend's got two dogs and they love me.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 14 13 12:17 PM

I moved around too much to sign up for little league, but I did try out and made the team in my freshman year in high school as a pitcher and 2nd baseman. I made the team mostly because I had a hellacious curveball--and nothing else. I think the coach figured he could help me work on my mechanics...didn't work and I was cut about six games into the season. I might have made it as the 2nd baseman, but the guy ahead of me was much faster than me. The coach cut me with the now infamous line: "Maybe you should try tennis."

I married Linda 16 years ago this July 5. 2nd marriage for both of us; we both brought a teenager into the family. My daughter Kendra is in her 30's and lives in Charlotte, NC after she moved there with her mother and stepfather. My stepson Mike will be turning the big 3-0, lives in NJ with his wife and my grandson, Lincoln, who will turn one in August.

I work for Apple. My job title is "Creative" which means virtually nothing. What I do is train people who, as they buy their Macs, drop an additional C-note for something called "One-to-One" where they get me to teach them how to use their Apple stuff for a year.

"Alone Again Or"~Matthew Sweet and Susannah Hoffs

Star Trek

"The Return of the King"

The Pop Shop in Collingswood, NJ

No place specific--any place where there's an ocean.

Definitely a morning person. I'm usually done by 10pm, but I'm up by 6am, every day.

10) Dogs or cats?
Dogs. Linda and I rescued a 12-lb "Parti Poodle" (look it up) that we named Charlie.

In extremos orientem in qualitatem; in extremos occidentem in saporem.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 14 13 8:34 PM

Up through 14. Was too small to play in high school, I keep telling myself almost 40 years later that I would have been good enough. Played fastpitch until about 25 and put together a team that the remnants of that team won a national championship about 5 years after I was done. Knee and feet won't really let me play anymore.

Been married to the Redhead for 28 years in October. Kid is 25 and is a software developer for a major data support company for the automotive industry. The Kidette is 24 and working on the 10 year plan for college. Her plan is to finish college in Canada. A Hoser wannabe.

I'm an account manager for a different support company in the auto industry. This one handles logistics for specialty fleets for several car companies. Basically I get to arrange display and media cars and drive really cool cars around that belong to someone else.

Don't have iTunes but the last song I played on my media player was "I Saw The Light" by Todd Rundgren.

Sherman & Peabody. Think about it, a genius talking dog that walked like a human and sat like a dog. Greatest cartoon character in history.

Haven't been in a movie theater in years.

Probably Las Brisas in Laguna Beach.

Anywhere in the Sierras.

Both?

10) Dogs or cats?
Dogs, though I haven't had one in many years. There is a cat that takes up space in the house that I stake absolutely no claim to.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 14 13 9:20 PM

Yeah, right! When they made us play softball in high school they stuck me on the basketball courts so no ball would get to me. When I got to hit, everyone would lay down or just leave the field. I am the worst ball player ever. I cannot even throw the ball. I was better at football (I was a midfielder) and running track.
I got a paper that says I have three kids but it is more like four. The girls are fun because we can speak Portuguese all of the time, but they also like those silly Japanese cartoons. The boy is my baby. He loves it because I spoil him all of the time. The big kid and I have been married for almost 25 years and he is the love of my life. He is such a great guy, he never says no and he does not mind cooking or stuff like chores that I hate.
I used to manage a Costco, but now I am just a kept woman.
Just a minute ago I was listening to Foreigner and Double Vision
Hands down, Scooby Doo
Les Miserables
House of Prime Rib. I may not look it, but I am a meat and potatoes girl

That's easy, Montreal. I would love to live there, but I hate the cold. Still, it is tempting.

Night owl. Most days I have a hard time getting out of bed before ten in the morning.

10) Dogs or cats?
Both. I just love animals.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 15 13 11:54 AM

Played baseball (and then softball) most of my life. Started as a third baseman in Little League, but after too many Steve Garvey throws, moved to first base and pitcher in my Junior year of high school. Played in the US Air Force in Germany, and was strictly a pitcher (not a very good one), but got to see a lot of Europe on Uncle Sam's nickel. Played slow-pitch softball in my 20's & 30's, but got into marathon running and found the softball injuries to be counter productive to my running.
Married for 30 years. We were DINKs (dual income, no kids), which allowed for early retirement.
Work? That's a four-letter word. I worked for a great company in the energy industry for 30 years and concurrently my wife and I owned and ran a retail business (running shoes, etc.)
iTunes? What's that? Ha! Just listened to Countdown by Lee Ritenour. That's for you Donny...the countdown is on, if we don't start winning.
The Baseball Game of the Week with Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese.
Just saw 42 and it was good. Mostly just go to movies as paybacks for my wife going to Dodger games!
Pappasitos.
Kauai, Vancouver, Rio de Janeiro, but it's really wherever the Dodgers are playing
Definitely morning, which makes it hard to stay up for Dodger games starting at 9:10 pm in my time zone. All those running years of getting up for a ten miler at 6 am influenced that.
10) Dogs or cats?
Dogs, but we had a cat named Spencer once, who was as good as any dog.

Last Edited By: WildHare May 15 13 11:58 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

May 17 13 12:12 PM

Yes, started with T-Ball, and played all through High School, peek at 10 when my coach broke my thumb throwing curves (what 10 year old throws curves) and I never was the same. Played Softball into my 30's, but I blew my right knee out that at 46 is bone on bone and painful to walk on.

Married for 12+ years. Have a 4 and half year old son.

IT. Currently in the financial industry working with Trading applications. (don't ask me how to pick stocks though)

Don't really use it, still "old school" playing CD's, and haven't bought one of those for myself since 2007. Currently in my car I have Iron Maiden Live After Death going, up next, Hall and Oates Greatest Hits, yeah I'm that eclectic.

Emergency

My favorite from last year is Django Unchained, but the one I watch the most since I have a 4 and half year old is Toy Story (although Toy Story 2 is the best of the 3 IMO and 3 is better as well).

Something Fishy in Woodland Hills

Las Vegas

Forced to be a morning person, up by 4 in the morning for work, but King and Dodger games (and the boy) keep me up past 10 a lot, so I'm on perpetual jet lag. Coffee is a wonderful drug.

10) Dogs or cats?
Dogs, but don't have any as my Wife is allergic to animal hair. Plus house is too small to have an outdoor dog. Cats are only good for sport teams names IMO.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 8 14 1:32 AM

1) Did you play baseball growing up – do you still? I tried out freshman year and the coach loved that I threw hard and was a natural sidearm pitcher but when he found out I couldnt run to save my live that was that. 2) Tell us about your family (single/married/kids)? On my 2nd (and last) marriage. I have w great kids. My son (ex wife) just turned 10 in nov. And my daughter will be 2 in march. 3) What do you do for work? I recently got hired on with PCL construction as a security officer. 4) What’s the last song that played on your iTunes? Lola Montez - Volbeat 5) What was your favorite TV show as a kid? Thundercats lol 6) What is the best movie you've seen in the last couple years? Id have to say 42 7) What is your favorite restaurant? Pedros tacos in san clemente. Or steakhouse 55 at disneyland hotel. 8) What is your favorite vacation spot? morro bay or buffalo ny 9) Morning person or night owl? night owl. If im awake before noon something is wrong lol 10) Dogs or cats? Dogs. I just rescued a 1.5 yr old husky and shes a handful but such a great pup

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jan 8 14 6:11 AM

saxgod wrote:
1) Did you play baseball growing up – do you still? I tried out freshman year and the coach loved that I threw hard and was a natural sidearm pitcher but when he found out I couldnt run to save my live that was that. 2) Tell us about your family (single/married/kids)? On my 2nd (and last) marriage. I have w great kids. My son (ex wife) just turned 10 in nov. And my daughter will be 2 in march. 3) What do you do for work? I recently got hired on with PCL construction as a security officer. 4) What’s the last song that played on your iTunes? Lola Montez - Volbeat 5) What was your favorite TV show as a kid? Thundercats lol 6) What is the best movie you've seen in the last couple years? Id have to say 42 7) What is your favorite restaurant? Pedros tacos in san clemente. Or steakhouse 55 at disneyland hotel. 8) What is your favorite vacation spot? morro bay or buffalo ny 9) Morning person or night owl? night owl. If im awake before noon something is wrong lol 10) Dogs or cats? Dogs. I just rescued a 1.5 yr old husky and shes a handful but such a great pup

Thundercats?   The boy has two Thundercat tattoos.   One of the sword on his leg and the lead cat on his back (I wish I could remember the names of the characters, but I have zero brainpower at this hour of the morning.).   

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jan 8 14 10:52 AM

I don't know about you guys, but around here the temperature outside has been single digits the past few days and that, on top of the triple indignities of online dating, aging and having to work for a living, has me ready to murder puppies and kittens.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jan 8 14 12:49 PM

^ Please spare the puppies. I'm waiting for the pipes to thaw here at the lake house. The main home only avoided the same thing with many blow dryer treatments to the main incoming water line. And now, it's a balmy 43.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jan 9 14 6:41 AM

Shmolnick wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but around here the temperature outside has been single digits the past few days and that, on top of the triple indignities of online dating, aging and having to work for a living, has me ready to murder puppies and kittens.
They can't call it global warming when ships are getting stranded in the icebergs at the North Pole or when there are record lows all over our continent.  It's climate change and Al Gore will figure out how to be profit as a prophet.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jan 9 14 8:50 AM

Then there is this, they are already rationing water in Marin County and there is talk of it in the usually very wet Mendocino and Humboldt Counties. We even got a flyer from the county water district about potential water rationing as soon as next month. I know there is talk by some that this is a sign that a mini ice age could be upon us, but I tend to think that there is something to the global warming also.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jan 9 14 9:04 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
Then there is this, they are already rationing water in Marin County and there is talk of it in the usually very wet Mendocino and Humboldt Counties. We even got a flyer from the county water district about potential water rationing as soon as next month. I know there is talk by some that this is a sign that a mini ice age could be upon us, but I tend to think that there is something to the global warming also.
When you live in a city like I do where the mayor and half the city councilmen are realtor/developers, it's easy to see why water shortages happen.  Attract all the corporations with tax incentives (yeah, let the homeowners bear the brunt of it) and don't bother getting the infrastructure in place before attracting all these new jobs and people.  Oh yeah, and build streets and roads to nowhere so the developers will have new areas to build, while ignoring the high traffic roads that need added lanes.

Re global warming, there are at least as many scientific studies that debunk as support that theory.  

The drivers of the climate change theory are primarily profit motivated.  Al Gore, aka the Carbon Billionaire, is more investor than advocate of the theory.     

Last Edited By: WildHare Jan 9 14 9:13 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jan 9 14 10:58 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:

Good thing harvests have already been chopped in Humboldt. This could have been a real buzzkill event.  ha ha ha etc

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help