Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jan 9 14 11:25 AM

WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
Then there is this, they are already rationing water in Marin County and there is talk of it in the usually very wet Mendocino and Humboldt Counties. We even got a flyer from the county water district about potential water rationing as soon as next month. I know there is talk by some that this is a sign that a mini ice age could be upon us, but I tend to think that there is something to the global warming also.
When you live in a city like I do where the mayor and half the city councilmen are realtor/developers, it's easy to see why water shortages happen.  Attract all the corporations with tax incentives (yeah, let the homeowners bear the brunt of it) and don't bother getting the infrastructure in place before attracting all these new jobs and people.  Oh yeah, and build streets and roads to nowhere so the developers will have new areas to build, while ignoring the high traffic roads that need added lanes.

Re global warming, there are at least as many scientific studies that debunk as support that theory.  

The drivers of the climate change theory are primarily profit motivated.  Al Gore, aka the Carbon Billionaire, is more investor than advocate of the theory.     

Sorry but I just can't let this one go without a comment.

You've got it exactly opposite. The drivers of climate change denial are primarily profit motivated (petro-chemical industry, for example). Also, you linked to a single report of a study that may suggest that climate change is cyclical rather than man-made. That is hardly "at least as many scientific studies that debunk as support that theory." That's one study. On the contrary, 97%, that's 97%, of studies agree on one point - that climate change is man-made. So let's see.... you cite one guy who's made a profit on climate change (Al Gore) and one study that "suggests" a different conclusion. Then you conflate these single instances into "many scientific studies debunking." Hey look, I'm as skeptical as the next guy about virtually everything everywhere, but even I can see that the earth is experiencing more frequent extremely severe weather, and most scientists agree that that is caused by a warming of the earth, which most scientists also agree is caused by humans (except apparently the scientists paid by oil companies and other polluting industries). NASA's study was hardly conclusive. Furthermore, any "study" paid for by an oil company almost guarantees that it is not to be believed.

I would advise you to do a little more research and try to not rush to believe outliers and false debunkery that only reinforce your previously held opinions.

Now, back to baseball.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jan 9 14 11:38 AM

Shmolnick wrote:
WildHare wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
Then there is this, they are already rationing water in Marin County and there is talk of it in the usually very wet Mendocino and Humboldt Counties. We even got a flyer from the county water district about potential water rationing as soon as next month. I know there is talk by some that this is a sign that a mini ice age could be upon us, but I tend to think that there is something to the global warming also.
When you live in a city like I do where the mayor and half the city councilmen are realtor/developers, it's easy to see why water shortages happen.  Attract all the corporations with tax incentives (yeah, let the homeowners bear the brunt of it) and don't bother getting the infrastructure in place before attracting all these new jobs and people.  Oh yeah, and build streets and roads to nowhere so the developers will have new areas to build, while ignoring the high traffic roads that need added lanes.

Re global warming, there are at least as many scientific studies that debunk as support that theory.  

The drivers of the climate change theory are primarily profit motivated.  Al Gore, aka the Carbon Billionaire, is more investor than advocate of the theory.     

Sorry but I just can't let this one go without a comment.

You've got it exactly opposite. The drivers of climate change denial are primarily profit motivated (petro-chemical industry, for example). Also, you linked to a single report of a study that may suggest that climate change is cyclical rather than man-made. That is hardly "at least as many scientific studies that debunk as support that theory." That's one study. On the contrary, 97%, that's 97%, of studies agree on one point - that climate change is man-made. So let's see.... you cite one guy who's made a profit on climate change (Al Gore) and one study that "suggests" a different conclusion. Then you conflate these single instances into "many scientific studies debunking." Hey look, I'm as skeptical as the next guy about virtually everything everywhere, but even I can see that the earth is experiencing more frequent extremely severe weather, and most scientists agree that that is caused by a warming of the earth, which most scientists also agree is caused by humans (except apparently the scientists paid by oil companies and other polluting industries). NASA's study was hardly conclusive. Furthermore, any "study" paid for by an oil company almost guarantees that it is not to be believed.

I would advise you to do a little more research and try to not rush to believe outliers and false debunkery that only reinforce your previously held opinions.

Now, back to baseball.

I can flood you (no pun intended) with as many studies that debunk your argument as you can ones that support it.  Every geophysicist I've spoken to, and admittedly many are in energy related business, laugh at the Chicken Littles and Solyndrites of the climate change philosophy.  Did you get your 97% figure from MSNBC?

NOW, back to baseball.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Jan 9 14 2:29 PM

I am of the personal opinion that the likeliest possibilities of things that will cause my death [or worse, a horrible earthly existence] include: an apocalyptic event in or delivered from the Middle East, the collapse of the dollar/economy leading to the meltdown of civil society, natural causes, pumping gas when some guys decide to take AK-47 shots at guys pumping gas, the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ, and yeah...some weather event.

My hope is that it all happens at the same time, and would be awesome if it was on the day after Greinke and Kemp had just led to Dodgers, finally, to the promised land, as well.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#24 [url]

Jan 11 14 9:02 AM

1) Did you play baseball growing up – do you still?  High school.  First baseman.

2) Tell us about your family (single/married/kids)?  Single.

3) What do you do for work?  Manager at a public accounting firm.

4) What’s the last song that played on your iTunes? Nintendopella - Mario Kartopia

5) What was your favorite TV show as a kid? Animaniacs

6) What is the best movie you've seen in the last couple years? Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

7) What is your favorite restaurant? Pluto's

8) What is your favorite vacation spot? Sintra, Portugal; Cinque Terre, Italy; Disneyland

9) Morning person or night owl? Night owl

10) Dogs or cats?  Dog!

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jan 24 14 2:08 PM

) Did you play baseball growing up – do you still? First Base and Outfield. Wound up as a pretty darn good outfielder.

2) Tell us about your family (single/married/kids)? I am married, three kids (all married) and one grandchild. I relish the opportunity to make him a Dodger fan.

3) What do you do for work? I am Region Communications Manager for the Utah Department of Transportation. Been in PR pretty much my whole career, except for a short stint as a radio announcer and 11 years as a University Fundraiser. The other 20-- All PR baybee.

4) What’s the last song that played on your iTunes? iTunes? What is that? The last song I just listen to on Spotify seconds ago was Donna Krall, "I got you under my skin."

5) What was your favorite TV show as a kid? I had many. Think 1960-70's. There weren't alot of options.

6) What is the best movie you've seen in the last couple years? I really liked Avatar. Captain Phillips was one I saw recently that I really liked.

7) What is your favorite restaurant? I love Thai food, but I like everything else, too. I had to lose 55 pounds this past year because I llke everything! In N Out just came to Utah so we're loving that at the moment for fast food.

8) What is your favorite vacation spot? Switzerland internationally, Dodger Stadium nationally. We like to go to the Oregon Coast for time away (Yachatz-Newport-Lincoln City)

9) Morning person or night owl? I'm a night owl, but somehow I'm "on" when I get up in the morning, too;

10) Dogs or cats? Cats. Because you can leave them alone and they will love you for it.

Last Edited By: TrueAggie Jan 24 14 2:12 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help