Remove this ad

Lead

May 20 13 11:11 AM

Tags : :

Alright, so there's been some requests to get this thread back up and, in fact, I've been meaning to bring this thread back since at least before the season started, but I kept forgetting. But now it's back, so have at it. So, what have you been listening to, these days? I've been pretty stuck on the new David Bowie album, "The Next Day", which is excellent. As tiredly cliche as it is, it's, by far, his best since "Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)". Check it out.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 20 13 12:59 PM

Why thank you!

This is Dee Gordon on first and no one out. I will not bunt ~ okay, it's actually a great opportunity for those that will indulge me a bit. I posted a 1988 performance of this song on the end of the last game thread. But it was tough to pick between that version, and this stellar version from 1970.

So...now that we have a real live music thread...lol...well, you can see where I'm going with this a mile ago, right? It's not what I'm obsessing over right now - that would be Gary Stewart - but here's to continuity....and TJW.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 20 13 1:48 PM

Well, at the risk of making you think I've lost my mind (which of course is very possible thanks to the Dodgers) I'll post one from out of left field. When travelling in Italy and listening to the radio when driving I kept hearing several songs which sounded like they were sung by the same female singer. The songs are all in Italian and I am not of Italian decent nor speak the language but I liked them enough that I finally asked around and identified her. I've become a fan of her music and will offer one of her songs here:

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 20 13 3:14 PM

beef- nice voice.

Here's someone I just heard on the radio a few days ago and thought she had a decent voice as well. Her name is Eilen Jewell (you can youtube more stuff on her):

:

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 20 13 4:01 PM

I'm loving the thread already - Eilen Jewell selection is most excellent. Shall we do 'obscure female vocalists' week?

This is Jennifer Charles, a groovy babe known to many for her collaboration with Mike Patton and Dan the Automator on "Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By" - Lovage.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 20 13 4:01 PM

For the past dozen or so years, I have been a big fan of the Eurovision Song contest if only because of how bad most of the acts were. It was like the watching the initial episodes of American Idol when the talentless, who think they can sing were shown the door on a continental scale. But, a strange thing has happened over the years, the acts are more polished and talented. Sure, you get the odd Nickleback clone or someone who is channeling Celine Dion, but for the most part the winners are no longer the act with the most scantily clad women dancing or the woman who had a hit in the USA in 1974. This year's winner is not exactly a song that will make one forget anything by Dylan, the Beatles or the Beach Boys, but it grows on you after you listen several times.....plus, the young singer is quite attractive.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 20 13 4:20 PM

Of course, what Eurovision Song Contest mention would be valid without a video of the 2006 winners - Lordi. I will just let those who have never heard of them have a look and make their own decision on them, but I feel they are about the most unique act I have ever seen at the ESC.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 20 13 5:29 PM

jwerthfan wrote:
well...that's just awful, G.

Yeah, I know, but it is fun.   Hey, I liked GWAR and I like Motorhead, so a combination of both seemed to work for me. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

May 21 13 5:40 AM

I hear ya' g. So, in that vein of fun - and add on some serious mucical chops - didn't you buy a couple of cds by these guys a couple years back? How'd that work out?

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 21 13 6:19 AM

jwerthfan wrote:
I hear ya' g. So, in that vein of fun - and add on some serious mucical chops - didn't you buy a couple of cds by these guys a couple years back? How'd that work out?

Herself did.   I know the last time I was a passenger in her ride, she had one playing.  In her opinion, they are better than Led Zepplin.  Of course, she also likes Nickleback and Justin Bieber, so her music taste is not to be trusted.  

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 21 13 8:14 AM

[:b]garbarkewitz wrote[/b]

"Herself did. I know the last time I was a passenger in her ride, she had one playing. In her opinion, they are better than Led Zepplin. Of course, she also likes Nickleback and Justin Bieber, so her music taste is not to be trusted. "

Ha ! That's awesome! I have passed along some Dread!
I agree with her 1000% on the Led Zep comparison, so I'd cut her a mile of slack on Nickelback. Bieber, well, I don't think straight men are supposed to dig the Bieb, but it's just a guess.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 21 13 10:18 AM

Perhaps the Greatest Live Performance By a Rock Band Ever

Santana playing Soul Sacrifice at Woodstock. Check out the 20-year old drummer. 20. years. old. Amazing.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

May 25 13 9:24 AM

Since all the players get their own theme music, why can't the manager? Just going through some Eagles stuff and this has Mattingly written all over it (minus a line or two).

"Turn this thing around,
I will not go quietly.
I will not lie down,
I will not go quietly,
I will not lie down".

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

May 25 13 11:47 AM

OK, so how 'bout one for the general manager: "I ain't livin' long...like this"

Unfortunately, it may end up being more appropriate for Kershaw: " I can't live at all..like this..can I, baybe?"

Either way...rock on :)

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

May 31 13 6:56 AM

Okay...so this thread needs a boost, and I know there are several very opinionated music lovers here. Anyone up for some competition, of sorts....because, as the title of the thread makes clear, baseball still sucks.

I'd like to propose, if there's interest, a music mojo kind of thing. A category is selected on Monday, for instance...'female vocalist', or 'guilty pleasure', or 'kick @ss jam', etc, and participants have 3-4 days to post their entries - one per poster. Beginning Thursday, each poster rates all videos entered except his own on a 1 - 10, the cumulative points used to declare video of the week on Sunday. The winner, then, declares the selected category for the next competition.

Yeah, so baseball 2013 has inspired me...musically - what can I say - anyone up for something like this? I think a minimum of 6 might be good. Thoughts?

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

May 31 13 7:47 AM

jwerthfan wrote:
Okay...so this thread needs a boost, and I know there are several very opinionated music lovers here. Anyone up for some competition, of sorts....because, as the title of the thread makes clear, baseball still sucks.

I'd like to propose, if there's interest, a music mojo kind of thing. A category is selected on Monday, for instance...'female vocalist', or 'guilty pleasure', or 'kick @ss jam', etc, and participants have 3-4 days to post their entries - one per poster. Beginning Thursday, each poster rates all videos entered except his own on a 1 - 10, the cumulative points used to declare video of the week on Sunday. The winner, then, declares the selected category for the next competition.

Yeah, so baseball 2013 has inspired me...musically - what can I say - anyone up for something like this? I think a minimum of 6 might be good. Thoughts?
I'm in.  Might I suggest the first contest be videos that aren't safe for work?   Who here hasn't watched "Girls on Film" with the mute button activated?  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help