Remove this ad

#21 [url]

May 31 13 8:06 AM

jwerthfan wrote:
Okay...so this thread needs a boost, and I know there are several very opinionated music lovers here. Anyone up for some competition, of sorts....because, as the title of the thread makes clear, baseball still sucks.

I'd like to propose, if there's interest, a music mojo kind of thing. A category is selected on Monday, for instance...'female vocalist', or 'guilty pleasure', or 'kick @ss jam', etc, and participants have 3-4 days to post their entries - one per poster. Beginning Thursday, each poster rates all videos entered except his own on a 1 - 10, the cumulative points used to declare video of the week on Sunday. The winner, then, declares the selected category for the next competition.

Yeah, so baseball 2013 has inspired me...musically - what can I say - anyone up for something like this? I think a minimum of 6 might be good. Thoughts?
I'm game.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

May 31 13 11:28 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:

"I'm in. Might I suggest the first contest be videos that aren't safe for work? Who here hasn't watched "Girls on Film" with the mute button activated? "

LOL. Good idea. The possibilities are endless, and winners choose next category. I have to tell you, though, muted is the * only * way I could ever l view Duran Duran. :)

We have 3 - let's see if we can make it at least half a dozen by Sunday, and we'll start it off on Monday with a non-specific opening round. After that, it goes where it goes - cool?

An honor code needs to be in play, that all videos posted by contestants must be viewed by all participants - at least 3 minutes worth. You can't just dismiss an entry w/o viewing because you already happen to hate that artist - yes, even Stevie Nicks. You are allowed to still hate that artist after viewing, however, if you still feel that way. We may even have a contest of 'great songs by artists that otherwise suck', for instance. Part of the fun here is to not only sharing, but the possibility of getting turned on to something good that we've missed.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

May 31 13 1:19 PM

Unrelated to the contest, today is Corey Hart's (singer, not Brewer first baseman) birthday. (Nah, not a groupie, just happened to read it in the "birthdays" section of my local newspaper.) The only reason I mention this is that the Dodgers are starting to be in the Remember the Alamo mode...Never Surrender.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jun 1 13 5:09 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:

"jwerthfan wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We'll kick it off Monday - looking for 2 more players

".Already have the video cued up."

LOL. I sensed you have been chomping at the bit. Here's some guidelines for y'all to look over - make any suggestions, which I'll likely reject, but who knows? :)

1. The category will be selected on Sunday by the previous weeks' winner. For the first week, I declare in a very declarative way that week one is open to any music genre. Post to impress and win.

2. Videos will be posted on Monday and Tuesday, and comments are allowed, but NO VOTING ! On Wednesday, you will have the option of changing your entry if you sense that your Cowsills post is in a bad way vs the Partridge Family - for instance. :) You are allowed ONLY one do over, and all entries are closed at the end of Wednesday.

3. Voting begins on Thursday and ends Friday. You must:
[a] assign your rating - 1 through 10 [ 10 highest ] for each video entered, but NOT your own.
[b] promise not to get your feelings hurt if someone hates your video and says so. [ Be like me, and look down in secret at anyone who doesn't like your music, if you must]

4. I'll tabulate votes on Saturday - or you can, as they'll all be posted, but someone has to declare me the winner....uh...I mean, declare the winner, and it will be announced Sat morning.

5. The winner gets a victory lap; in this case, an encore video where you can Lord your musical tastes over the losers for a night.

6. On Sunday, the winner declares the category for the next weeks competition; for instance: 60s garage bands, 70s metal, male/female duos,televised live performances,, or in G's case, scantily clad ladies in music videos. :)

Welcome aboard Matthew, Schmol. True and G - looking for a 6th - these guidelines look ok to everyone?

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jun 1 13 5:47 AM

jwerthfan wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

"jwerthfan wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We'll kick it off Monday - looking for 2 more players

".Already have the video cued up."

LOL. I sensed you have been chomping at the bit. Here's some guidelines for y'all to look over - make any suggestions, which I'll likely reject, but who knows? :)

1. The category will be selected on Sunday by the previous weeks' winner. For the first week, I declare in a very declarative way that week one is open to any music genre. Post to impress and win.

2. Videos will be posted on Monday and Tuesday, and comments are allowed, but NO VOTING ! On Wednesday, you will have the option of changing your entry if you sense that your Cowsills post is in a bad way vs the Partridge Family - for instance. :) You are allowed ONLY one do over, and all entries are closed at the end of Wednesday.

3. Voting begins on Thursday and ends Friday. You must:
[a] assign your rating - 1 through 10 [ 10 highest ] for each video entered, but NOT your own.
[b] promise not to get your feelings hurt if someone hates your video and says so. [ Be like me, and look down in secret at anyone who doesn't like your music, if you must]

4. I'll tabulate votes on Saturday - or you can, as they'll all be posted, but someone has to declare me the winner....uh...I mean, declare the winner, and it will be announced Sat morning.

5. The winner gets a victory lap; in this case, an encore video where you can Lord your musical tastes over the losers for a night.

6. On Sunday, the winner declares the category for the next weeks competition; for instance: 60s garage bands, 70s metal, male/female duos,televised live performances,, or in G's case, scantily clad ladies in music videos. :)

Welcome aboard Matthew, Schmol. True and G - looking for a 6th - these guidelines look ok to everyone?

Yes, looking forward to some epically bad videos this summer.   Scantily clad women in videos is what got me through the mid eighties.....well, that and the monthly issue of Mayfair. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jun 2 13 4:47 PM

Let the music play !!

Officially, we are The Five: Schmolnick, Grabarkewitz, True2DaBlue, Matthew, and I, but of course it's always open to all. However, only posters have voting priviledges, so feel free to jump in.

Monday and Tuesday: post your entries - one per player
Wednesday: One mulligan allowed, if you're having poster's remorse. For instance, if 4 "that sucks" comments follow your post, you may sense the need for a do-over.
Thursday and Friday: official voting. 2 days for this; I realize some of you actually are in the work force, so this gives you ample time to view all entries - hopefully in entirety as you want folks to view yours - and give a fair rating, 1 - 10.
Saturday: votes tallied and I'm declared winner....that is, the winner is declared. :) Victory post and follow-up posting by winner. On a serious note, if you have turned us on to someone extremely good and cool, I'd encourage you to post the details of your discovery, or musical relationship with the artist. We clearly are all music lovers, so I see this as a great way to share - and get turned on to - some good stuff.
Sunday: winner picks the category for the following contest.

The initial week is wide open - just a legit musical artist. I'm really looking forward to seeing the music that matters to you....so, turn up the volume, and let's groove...or, whatever you have in mind.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jun 3 13 9:40 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:

jwerthfan wrote:
We'll kick it off Monday - looking for 2 more players.

"Already have the video cued up. "

Then whatcha waitin' fer?

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jun 3 13 9:58 AM

jwerthfan wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:

jwerthfan wrote:
We'll kick it off Monday - looking for 2 more players.

"Already have the video cued up. "

Then whatcha waitin' fer?

Not a huge fan of the song, seems like the same song that the Stones have been putting out since the mid-eighties, but the video features Noomi Rapace and she captures my attention like few others.   At about 2:45 into the song it gets NSFW.   Plus, for a Swede, she takes a nice swing with the old baseball bat. 

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jun 3 13 11:56 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:

"Not a huge fan of the song, seems like the same song that the Stones have been putting out since the mid-eighties, but ..."

That was brutal. I would encourage you to consider making use of "do-over Wednesday". :) :)

Schmolnick wrote:

"Starting off with a classic"

Couldn't agree more. You realize, of course, that there were no scantily clothed babes, so grabarkewitz probably fell asleep at about 1:35...ha ha ha etc

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jun 3 13 1:30 PM

Man, so many choices. Didn't know which genre to start off with. Decided to go for some alternative/light rock to start it off. It's a classic. Video is okay, song is much better (IMHO).

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jun 3 13 2:43 PM

I always thought that song was done by Oasis....I'm not familiar with either band obviously. Have you ever avoided a band because of it's name? I'm a big fan of Mike Patton [ Faith No More lead singer ] and virtually every project he's worked on, but I wouldn't go near Mr Bungle for just that reason. I'm extremely glad I got past that. :)

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jun 3 13 3:31 PM

Scratch my initial choice, I thought we were doing NSFW. I will dig up one of my favorites from the past if only because I love the song and the video is all kinds of fun and see you on Wednesday.

Last Edited By: grabarkewitz Jun 3 13 3:55 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Jun 3 13 3:32 PM

3 fine voices in this grouping. Crosby oozes harmony with less effort than I exhale air. And Carly...while I'm 50 / 50 on her tunes, I've loved every one of her album covers. [ grabarkewitz alert @ 2:23 and 3:14 ]

But the surpising thing: who knew that Jerry Springer cat had pipes ??

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Jun 3 13 5:30 PM

Well, THAT was outstanding, JW. Great find.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help