Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Jun 4 13 10:00 AM

schmolnick wrote:

"Well, THAT was outstanding, JW. Great find."

As of now, 3 down, 2 to go - waiting on Matthew, and looking forward to grabarkewitz' mulligan tomorrow.

YouTube luck. I happened to be surfin' Crosby when it popped up. I flat out LOVE YouTube.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Jun 4 13 12:55 PM

jwerthfan wrote:
schmolnick wrote:

As of now, 3 down, 2 to go - waiting on Matthew, and looking forward to grabarkewitz' mulligan tomorrow.

YouTube luck. I happened to be surfin' Crosby when it popped up. I flat out LOVE YouTube.
I agree, YouTube is great. And it will continue to be great up until the day they start running forced commercials with every video or start charging, whichever comes first.

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Jun 4 13 1:44 PM

schmolnick wrote:

jwerthfan wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
schmolnick wrote:

"I agree, YouTube is great. And it will continue to be great up until the day they start running forced commercials with every video or start charging, whichever comes first."

If it came down to it, I'd subscribe - there's no other resource like it. I have probably 20 playlists with likely over 200 clips saved. I added a couple earlier today.

I used to have a newspaper route when I was 13 until I got my driver's license, and what money I didn't put away for a car, I spent on cut-out 45s and 8 track tapes. I'd buy obscure stuff like The Leaves, The Seeds, The Syndicate of Sound, The Beau Brummels, The Strangeloves, The Music Machine, and the 13th Floor Elevators.. A few years later I was buying LPs of Captain Beyond, Head Hands and Feet, Ron Davies, Flying Burrito Brothers and such. With 3 tv channels, these acts stayed invisible to me until YouTube. Now, there's almost no artist I can think of - or any song I can barely remember - that can't be dialed up on YouTube. [ I've posted a few tunes there myself.] For a lifelong music junkie, YouTube is a God send.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Jun 4 13 1:55 PM

And a PS: a short while ago I noticed that folks were posting entire lps. Oh, man! One of my biggest regrets is selling my lp collection because 3 unemployed hippies couldn't make rent one month. Some of that stuff is out of print, others have yet to be released on cd - yet, there they are complete and unscratched just waiting for a click.

I've bought amps and speakers just for my computer, and other than the cars, am thinking that my cd collection and stereo components are now just wasted space. I toted my 35 yr old Kenwood amp and SoundLab speakers to dozens of locations over the years - the speakers weigh 65 lbs each and the combination of the two can nearly knock down walls......now...they're mostly in the way, but it would still kill me to get rid of them.

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Jun 4 13 5:48 PM

jwerthfan wrote:
And a PS: a short while ago I noticed that folks were posting entire lps. Oh, man! One of my biggest regrets is selling my lp collection because 3 unemployed hippies couldn't make rent one month. Some of that stuff is out of print, others have yet to be released on cd - yet, there they are complete and unscratched just waiting for a click.

I've bought amps and speakers just for my computer, and other than the cars, am thinking that my cd collection and stereo components are now just wasted space. I toted my 35 yr old Kenwood amp and SoundLab speakers to dozens of locations over the years - the speakers weigh 65 lbs each and the combination of the two can nearly knock down walls......now...they're mostly in the way, but it would still kill me to get rid of them.
I feel sick that I donated my over 2,000 lp collection to the music department of a Seattle high school back in the eighties when Herself and I bought our house on Mercer Island together.   We had room, but I wasn't about to pay someone a ton of money to pack them and move them from downtown Seattle across a bridge to Mercer Island and it's lovely pockmarked roads.   I think a quarter of those lps were still in the shrink wrap as I would buy them, but never have the time to play them.   I had some seriously obscure stuff from one shot bands like Russia, The Monroes and even an autographed copy of the one and only HSAS lp.   Ran into Michael Shrieve almost thirty years ago and managed to talk his ear off and had the Brazilian find the lp and bring it to where we were at for the autograph.   The worst part is that I thought I had separated it from the collection, but I am thinking Herself stuck it back.  

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Jun 5 13 1:34 AM

jwerthfan wrote:
schmolnick wrote:

I'll have my pick up before game time.  Looking forward to it!

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Jun 5 13 5:14 AM

jwerthfan wrote:
schmolnick wrote:

jwerthfan wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
schmolnick wrote:

"I agree, YouTube is great. And it will continue to be great up until the day they start running forced commercials with every video or start charging, whichever comes first."

If it came down to it, I'd subscribe - there's no other resource like it. I have probably 20 playlists with likely over 200 clips saved. I added a couple earlier today.

I used to have a newspaper route when I was 13 until I got my driver's license, and what money I didn't put away for a car, I spent on cut-out 45s and 8 track tapes. I'd buy obscure stuff like The Leaves, The Seeds, The Syndicate of Sound, The Beau Brummels, The Strangeloves, The Music Machine, and the 13th Floor Elevators.. A few years later I was buying LPs of Captain Beyond, Head Hands and Feet, Ron Davies, Flying Burrito Brothers and such. With 3 tv channels, these acts stayed invisible to me until YouTube. Now, there's almost no artist I can think of - or any song I can barely remember - that can't be dialed up on YouTube. [ I've posted a few tunes there myself.] For a lifelong music junkie, YouTube is a God send.
Here is my mulligan.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Jun 5 13 5:23 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:
jwerthfan wrote:
schmolnick wrote:

jwerthfan wrote:
schmolnick wrote:

Here is my mulligan.

Too bad he couldn't find anyone of note to play in the band....................

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Jun 5 13 6:38 AM

ocmike24 wrote:
grabarkewitz wrote:
jwerthfan wrote:
schmolnick wrote:

jwerthfan wrote:
schmolnick wrote:

Here is my mulligan.

Too bad he couldn't find anyone of note to play in the band....................

I don't know, I hear good things about that Clipton guy.   I guess if he works hard, he could get work as a session musician.  

Quote    Reply   

#51 [url]

Jun 5 13 7:37 AM

If this is still open to entries, and if this is supposed to kind of fit the Dodgers' season thus far, I'd like to re-submit my earlier post as an official entry. Yasiel Puig has turned this into "Never Surrender" possibilities.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Jun 5 13 9:23 AM

WlidHare wrote:

"If this is still open to entries, and if this is supposed to kind of fit the Dodgers' season thus far, I'd like to re-submit my earlier post as an official entry. Yasiel Puig has turned this into "Never Surrender" possibilities."

Welcome to the jungle...we've got fun and games.

Actually, this first week launch has no restrictions or theme, so it's not necessary to tie your vid to the Dodgers. Feel free to stand pat, or have a Wednesday mulligan. Either way, glad you're in. :)

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Jun 5 13 5:47 PM

It's June, so I'm naturally in a bit of a Beach Boys mood, these days, so I'll begin with one of their songs.  I was almost going to use a song called "From There To Back Again", off their last album (released a year ago today), as I think it's probably their best song in their last 35-40 years.  (Granted, not a hard feat to pull off, sadly, but it is an excellent tune)  But it's part of a suite and should be heard as a whole, so for that, I'll go vintage and post what I think is one of the greatest songs of all-time:

Released on the 1964 album "Shut Down, Volume 2", this song was apparently written the night JFK was assassinated.  There's not many songs that I would describe as perfect, but this is one of the few.  Technically, the chord structure shouldn't work, but Brian Wilson, in his genius, not only makes it work, but makes the complexity almost unnoticeable.  A deeply moving, melancholy song, with great depth musically and lyrically, and puts an arrow through the heart of the argument that they did little of worth until "Pet Sounds"/"Good Vibrations".  

Last Edited By: Matthew Jun 5 13 5:50 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Jun 5 13 8:17 PM

Entries are completed at 6. Commence voting, voters.

Because my 6 may be your 5 or 7 even though we liked the video equally, I think the best way to do this is to list a #1, 2, etc thru 5, as we have 6 entries and you cannot rate your own entry. Your choices:

True2DaBlue: Goo Goo Dolls
Schmolnick: The Beatles
Grabarkewitz: George Harrison and some stiffs
WildHare: Corey Hart
Matthew: The Beach Boys
jWerthfan: Crosby, Simon, and Springer [Webb]

Comments as to why you loved / hated or anything in between are encouraged.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Jun 5 13 8:58 PM

To prevent any confusion, here's my ballot:

1: Scmolnick - The Beatles
A good song by a great band, this video is a great final snapshot of the band; putting all the personal strife aside and simply jammin' on a rooftop. Nowhere near their best tune, but I never get tired of watching the video.

2. Garbarkewitz - George Harrison and Friends
As solo artists, they were a great band.

3. Matthew - The Beach Boys
I have to say from the get-go: I've never owned a Beach Boys tune. Like Bob Dylan, I like a lot of their songs when other people sing them. I could never get past falsetto-type vocals whether it's TBBs or the Delfonics. After listening, I like the song, but just can't handle the vocals.

4. WildHare: Corey Hart
I appreciate the connection to never giving up on the Dodgers season. I never minded this song, but I never thought it anything special.

5. True2DaBlue: The Goo Goo Dolls
It didn't miss being #4 by much. I suppose it's safe to say I'm not down with the Dolls.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Jun 6 13 5:33 AM

1. Shmolnick. Everytime I see that video I had hope that they would get together one more time for one more album. It is one of the few videos that made me sad and happy.
2. Matthew. I just love about anything the Beach Boys did. They could've sung commercial jingles and I would've bought them. It was so out of character for the type of song they were doing during this period, but it is something special. Mind you, the video looks like something you used to see at the end of the viewing day on television back in the sixties.
3. Wild Hare. I always felt that Corey Hart was typecast into his one big hit as a Tiger Beat kind of singer. To that end, it seemed he was pigeon-holed into doing the same kind of pap over and over again. Still, as videos go, this one wasn't awful, but more like what was being assembly-lined out by same people who would make Glenn Frey videos.
4. True to the Blue. Love the GooGoo Dolls, but not this video. Grohl might be the most talented person in music right now and their recent videos are special, but this one left me kind of blah.
5. JWerthfan. Sorry guy, but I have a deep-seeded hatred of David Crosby and not a massive fan of Carly Simon (I think she wants to be Carole King when she grows up) so it could've been the best video ever, but I have always thought of David Crosby as a leech on the very talented.

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Jun 6 13 7:12 AM

grabarkewitz wrote:

"5. JWerthfan. Sorry guy, but I have a deep-seeded hatred of David Crosby and not a massive fan of Carly Simon (I think she wants to be Carole King when she grows up) so it could've been the best video ever, but I have always thought of David Crosby as a leech on the very talented."

No problem - hey...it ain't ME up there singing, :)
However, for future ratings, I'd ask if you gave consideration to this voting guideline:

***You can't just dismiss an entry w/o viewing because you already happen to hate that artist - yes, even Stevie Nicks. You are allowed to still hate that artist after viewing, however, if you still feel that way.***

Grohl is in the Goo AND the Foo? I had no idea.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Jun 6 13 8:52 AM

And here's my ballot:

1. Garbarkewitz - George Harrison and Friends
2. JWerthfan - Crosby, Simon et al.
3. Matthew - The Beach Boys.
4. True2DaBlue: The Goo Goo Dolls
5. WildHare: Corey Hart

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply